2015 Weekly Comic Buys n' Reads

You wanted it, you got it. Just don't get too geeky on me.
JimBob Skeeter
dWb Superstar
JimBob Skeeter
dWb Superstar

September 14th, 2015, 2:45 pm #81

Do you happen to have any of the original 80's Swamp Thing? Those first three dozen books are classics.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 15th, 2015, 12:14 am #82

Yknow, I was just thinking about Swamp Thing. Actually, I thought of the movie, first.

I only have one issue from the original series and one from the 1999 version. Never read any of em. Might have to track em down on the Internets. Good suggestion.

JimBob Skeeter
dWb Superstar
JimBob Skeeter
dWb Superstar

September 15th, 2015, 6:13 pm #83

You never read them? Oh, you will like it. I personally never bought them, but when I was mid-teens, I found out that one of the neighbor boys had like the first 30 issues and borrowed them all to me, so I got to binge-read it and experience it all at one time. Very, very cool, indeed.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 18th, 2015, 4:24 pm #84

New Teen Titans #7-9
The long-awaited (?) origin of Lilith. Thia, one of the Titans of Myth, liked to sleep around and is Lilith‘s mom... along with dozens of other offpsring, who are alluded to.

Nice little clarification as they explain that the Greek gods weren't gods at all and that they had nothing to do with creation-- they were just ancient super-powered people who were worshipped as such.

Thia kidnaps Lilith and attacks Olympus. The Teen and Myth Titans team-up to fight Thia and a buncha‘ monsters. Hyperion dies and there‘s a callback to his old connection with Wonder Girl. They all meet Kole, the "crystal spinner", who was also kidnapped by Thia.

Lilith becomes a "god" and leaves the mortal realm. Azrael, the un-named "winged man“ spends all 3 issues literally crying over Lilith. Lilith‘s into him, as well, but has to cut things off when she becomes a "god“. I don't think they ever explain WHY the two felt a strong connection. The Titans are kinda‘ embarassed Azrael‘s worthless ass is hanging around, so they don‘t care when he flies away. He gets spotted by Brother Blood‘s cronies, who plan to use him in some way. I suspect that, originally, they had better plans for using Azrael (maybe even making him a Titan)...but forgot what they were and quickly wrote him out.

New Teen Titans #10-11
The long-awaited (?) "origin of Kole". She‘s sorta‘ like Iceman-- only with crystals instead of ice. She immediately takes a liking to Jericho and offers to bang him (yes, this happens). Jericho tracks down her dad, Abel Weathers, a mad scientist who‘s been doing genetic modifications on people by turning them into creepy-ass bugs. Even his wife, who‘s a giant grasshopper. Very freakish stuff. He‘s the one who gave Kole her crystal powers, but his later experiments all seemed to be bugs.

They try to tie it into New Teen Titans (vol.1) #10, by saying Kole‘s dad used Promethium in his stuff. The Titans arrive, fight, then the house blows up. All the bug-people turn into real bugs and fly away. More like a 60‘s horror comic than anything else.

Oh, there's a scene with Wonder Girl in the shower, featuring Sideboob and a Caboose Shot. Terry Long then jumps in with her, fueling fan hatred again.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 21st, 2015, 3:05 pm #85

New Teen Titans #12
A terrible one-shot story, where Nightwing's apartment is haunted by the ghost of a little girl. Buncha' mumbo jumbo about her family was killed in the 30's by the mob. They tie it into (I think) the "GodMother" mobster that appeared in the Vigilante origin issue. Another out-of-place story.

The cover is weird, because it implies that Nighwing and Starfire are getting married and have set a date. That has absolutely nothing to do with this story.

George Perez has left as "co-plotter", so it's all Marv Wolfman indulging himself from this point on.

New Teen Titans #13-14
A CRISIS crossover that ties the Titans into the event and fills in the blanks of where everything fits. It's all presented as taking place over a month. The actual CRISIS series had already advanced to issue 9... so this covers the Titans' side of things for every issue up until that point. Starfire and Cyborg were plucked away, at different times, to help the Monitor, so this is sorta' "continuity housecleaning". Batman and the Outsiders make a cameo appearance, too.

The Tamarans return to take Starfire back home. Nightwing goes along due to his personal connection, but Jericho gets to go just because he wants to.

The rest of the team stays to fight an officially snapped Mento (Steve Dayton). They explain Mento's turn by saying he used Promethium in his helmet, which drove him crazy. Arella's also off tracking down Raven.

Kole is very much a part of the team, now. She'll die in CRISIS... so issue 14 may be her last appearance in Teen Titans. I think she's another character that they had Grand Plans for... then forgot what they were, got sick of her, or else fan response wasn't what they had hoped for. She's a weird character, doesn't really fit, and looks like something from She-Ra.

JimBob Skeeter
dWb Superstar
JimBob Skeeter
dWb Superstar

September 23rd, 2015, 2:29 pm #86

I really didn't mind when Kole bought it in Crisis.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 24th, 2015, 10:25 pm #87

If I remember correctly, Kole's death was incredibly random and unnoticed in "Crisis". She was saving someone from a Shadow Demon, then got zapped. "Gone. As if she never existed!"

New Teen Titans#15-17
John Carter-ish adventures on Tamaran, as Starfire is forced into a marriage of state to prevent a civil war. Nightwing looks like the Marvel 70's version of John Carter, only his gear is colored like his old Robin costume. The wedding goes as planned, Nightwing is incredibly bitter and there's melodrama all around.

Komand'r/Blackfire returns, incites rebellion, and actually becomes ruler of Tamaran. The Omega Men appear for a bit, too. The rest of the Titans aren't seen or mentioned.

While it's a little interesting that the cliched "true love will prevail over all" plot line DIDN'T play out, this is still a garbage story and probably my least favorite of the entire run, thus far. I really don't care for Tamaran, as there's nothing intriguing about it.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 25th, 2015, 5:36 pm #88

New Teen Titans #18
Nightwing and Jericho return to Earth, while Starfire stays in space with her family. Their "star-crossed lovers" thing is hammered home. Cameo appearance from Batman and Robin (Jason Todd), as Nightwing tries to visit them for some counseling.

Wonder Girl, Cyborg and Changeling wonder if the team will still be around. They talk about the Crisis and acknowledge Kole's death (Jericho mentions that he cried all night...increasing his Wussy Points) and that Supergirl and Wonder Woman also bought it. I don't think they had clearly established exactly what characters were allowed to remember and forget about the whole event, yet.

Changeling and Cyborg go off after Mento in a mild cliffhanger.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 29th, 2015, 1:39 pm #89

New Teen Titans #19-20
With everybody off doing their own thing, the team unofficially breaks up. Cyborg almost dies in a fight with Mento and goes back to STAR labs for some fixin'. Sarah Simms shows up, in an awkward scene where they try to pass the "Mantle of the Romantic Interest for Cyborg" from Simms to STAR's Dr. Sarah Charles. Charles had helped re-build Cyborg in "Tales" #56.

Wonder Girl and Nightwing go at in a guilt-trip ridden fight. Nightwing goes off to track down Raven, who's been kidnapped by the Church of Brother Blood. FWIW, Nightwing's birthday was in issue 18 and he's officially 20 years old, now.

Wonder Girl is alone at Titans Tower and receives a call from King Faraday to track down Cheshire. So she calls up the new Flash (Wally West), Aqualad, Robin (Jason Todd), Speedy and Hawk in a nod to "the original Teen Titans". Call 'em "Titans Red", because that color gets used a lot.

The new teams goes to Europe and stays in a hotel to fight Cheshire. It's very lame. The big reveal is when Cheshire drops the bomb that Speedy is the father of her child.

There's some inconsistency with how Wally's used. I remember reading (and liking) his new title, at the time. I don't remember him being this de-powered or as much of a stick-in-the-mid. I think this was still early in the "new" Flash era, though.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 8th, 2015, 6:18 pm #90

Marvel Two-in-One #53-58
A fun 6-part story that establishes Project:Pegasus and a plot to sabotage it. The Thing joins their security team, headed by Quasar and the new Giant-Man (Dr. Bill Foster, the former Black Goliath). Thing gives Foster a reasonable pep-talk about taking the moniker "Giant-Man". "it's pretty obvious that you're black and if I remember my Sunday schoolin' right, Goliath was a bad guy". Thing is finally coming off like the friendly, fun-loving guy he's supposed to be. His goal is to just hang out and play poker.

Included is a map of Project:Pegasus, so you know they put more thought than usual into this arc. Includes some quick fights with Nuklo, Deathlok, Electro and Solarr to pad it out and use the issue format.

Toss in a sub-plot about Thundra becoming a professional wrestler, with references to Bruno Sammartino and Bobo Brazil. Thundra, a tweener, gets duped into attacking Pegasus with some fellow female wrestlers; notably Screaming Mimi who would go on to a pretty decent career at Marvel as the eventual Songbird. There's also Letha, Poundcakes and Titania...but she's not Titania, the more famous girlfriend of Absorbing Man who debuted in Secret Wars.

The plot mentions a "serpentine organization" that is sabotaging Pegasus. You expect it to be Hydra, but it turns out to be Roxxon Oil Corporation. It climaxes with a big fight against the Nth Man-- Dr. Lightner, the former "Blacksun" from earlier MTIO issues-- tries to blow up Pegasus and send it into another dimension.

A delightful trip through late 70's Marvel and the best issues of this title, so far. It's not an insult when I say: "this is SO Marvel".

New Teen Titans #21
Wonder Girl's new team screws up a "peace summit" and comes off looking like shmucks. It's all more manipulation by the Church of Brother Blood. Nightwing tries to inflitrate them (again) to free Raven and Arella.

They flesh out the connection between Speedy and Cheshire as their little girl "Lian" is introduced. Oh, and Terry Long gets let go from his teaching gig in some vintage soap opera stuff. Again, Long has a very intelligent and mature reaction to his dismissal... but he's still a poofy-haired wussie who gets to bang Wonder Girl!