Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 24th, 2015, 1:56 pm #121

New Teen Titans #47
Danny Chase has insomnia and reads up on the team's various origins. There's nothing on Wonder Girl...so once again, she's complaining about not knowing who she is. This change in her has occurred overnight (it's residual CRISIS after-effect, but this sudden characterization is weak).

To make this more than a typical origin re-hash, there's a subplot that the Wildebeest was actually hacking the team's personal information while Danny was reading.

On the creative side, future Batman artist Kelley Jones handles the art. He really seems to take off on his one page that depicts Batman. Just kinda' cool to see this page and know what he'd go on to do.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 25th, 2015, 5:56 pm #122

New Teen Titans #48-49
Red Star comes to San Francisco' STAR Labs as part of a Glasnost "talent exchange". New baddies Hammer and Sickle are sent to kill him. Titans and Red Star fight them off, then it turns out that Red Star has been set-up to look like a traitor. So he's now a "man without a country" and is sent off to comic book limbo. Your average Titans story; nothing terrible, nothing great.

Last official issue as "New Teen Titans" as they drop the "Teen" and become "The New Titans", next issue.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 25th, 2015, 9:53 pm #123

Marvel Two-in-One #59
A self-contained story that feels like an episode of "Super Friends". The Thing and the Human Torch ("Fantastic Two"?) prevent an engaged imbecile from disaster, as he's trying to fulfill his "Things I Gotta' Do Before I'm 30" list around NYC. It's silly stuff like "Be a cowboy", "Be a fireman" and "Solve a mystery". When they get to the last one, Thing and Torch give up, as it's "Be a husband". "Fergitt it, Torchie. No way he'll ever survive THAT one". Har har (actually...that is kinda' funny).

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 30th, 2015, 4:14 pm #124

Marvel Two-in-One #60
Thing attends yet another art exhibit headlined by his main squeeze, Alicia Masters. Impossible Man has been hanging around the FF, so he gets to go, disguised as Thing's hat. 3 old thugs from WAY back in the "Strange Tales" days bring the statues to life and combat ensues. This feels like a back-up story that would've appeared in an 80's FF annual.

Here's the weird part: Impossible Man is intrigued by the concept of love... so he uses part of himself to create the brand-new Impossible Woman. They then disappear to go off and populate their own planet. If you indulge your inner Beavis, you can surmise that Thing once told Impy to "go f*ck yourself".... so now he's actually doing that.

Oh, and George Perez draws himself and writers Ralph Macchio and Mark Gruenwald into the story. Annoying habit that Perez seemed to do, often. I remember him doing it in "Avengers", circa 2000. I really hate these types of cutesy, inside jokes.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

December 4th, 2015, 10:41 pm #125

Power Man #48-49
Luke Cage is forced by his enemy, Bushmaster, to kidnap Misty Knight. These leads him into a full on fight against Knight, Colleen Wing and Iron Fist... fresh off their two-part adventure in "Marvel Team-up". Some leftover threads from that story are picked up, here, along with some of Cage's.

The story works to tie up Cage's origin and proves his innocence (he was framed by wannabe drug runner Willis Stryker and was sent to prison). Coincidentally,Bushmaster has taken over the abandoned Seagate prison and also abducted Prof. Brustein, the guy who turned Cage into "Power Man". So Cage's long-running origin loose ends are tied up and he gains 3 new friends in Knight, Wing and Iron Fist.

Fun stuff, as it's nice to see Cage finally get some focus and get a clear-cut win. His title had been rambling around and this cleaned things up in a tidy manner; without disregarding established continuity. It's by Chris Claremont and John Byrne-- and I'd say Byrne's at the peak of his skills, here (I think when he did "Superman", his stuff began to suffer).

All leads into...

Power Man & Iron Fist #50
At a party to celebrate Cage's exoneration, they're all attacked by villains Discus and Stilleto. Nothing much, as it's just an excuse to get the new Power Man/Iron Fist duo some easy tag-team action, together. Cage agrees to work for "Nightwing Investigations", so they haven't gone in as partners on a new "Heroes for Hire", yet.

This team-up and merging of the two titles doesn't seem forced or rushed at all. Plays out very well and it's MUCH better than I remembered. I really enjoyed reading the full run of "Iron Fist" awhile back, so this is a great continuation. I don't feel the need to go back and read Cage's issues from #5-47.

The Swigg Lebowski
dWb Superstar

December 11th, 2015, 1:38 am #126

Secret Wars #8

Battleworld is descending into chaos as doom's generals fight off the incoming hordes. The Thing battles with Galactus (controlled by Franklin Richards), Thanos condescends to Doom when they meet face to face, the Annhilation Horde makes an appearance, and Sue Storm and Reed Richards meet for the first time in Battleworld.

There are a couple of surprise moments that make the issue worthwhile, but I really want the final issue so I can be have my resolution. Now I have to wait until January for that. Mere months from the next "event"
Scrooge McSuck wrote:I'm too hefty for my slacks. The zippers off it's tracks. I've stretched it to the maa-a-a-a-x.

The Swigg Lebowski
dWb Superstar

December 11th, 2015, 1:44 am #127

Spidey #1

Amazing Spider-Man hasn't been doing it for me lately. Peter's a poor man's Tony Stark/Bruce Wayne, and it just doesn't work for me. Spidey is everything that ASM isn't. It's Peter in high school. He's quippy, socially awkward, and has the rotten Parker luck. It's not as ambitious as Ultimate Spider-Man, but it does fill the classic Spider-Man shaped hole that Marvel has right now.
Scrooge McSuck wrote:I'm too hefty for my slacks. The zippers off it's tracks. I've stretched it to the maa-a-a-a-x.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

December 22nd, 2015, 11:14 pm #128

New Titans #50-54
Another infamous arc: "Who is Wonder Girl?" With her history to Wonder Woman wiped out with Crisis (along with the Titans' early adventure on Paradise Island), it's established that Donna Troy was raised by the Titans of Myth-- Rhea, Hyperion, Thia, etc.

Oh, on some alien planet called "New Chronus". Along with 11 other orphaned kids from around the galaxy. Including Xanthi, the incredibly huggable giant white Muppet. Throw in another random planet named Syrinniaq and another mad despot and you've got another lame Titans space arc.

Danny Chase is left behind on Earth, because Nightwing thinks he's immature. The letters column has been demanding his death or dismissal-- and Marv Wolfman is a defiant ass about the whole thing.

Some fill-in-the-blanks stuff about Wonder Girl's origin. It was Rhea who saved her from the burning building and she designed her costume after being inspired by the American flag. But whattabout that golden lasso.... errrrr, hey, look George Perez is back! This was supposed to be a big return to "glory" for the book, but it's way too late and the biggest problem is that the story isn't all that fun or entertaining.

There's also a conundrum created regarding the Titans of Myth. Since it's established that these Titans of Myth have been off in space for a long time,... then who was it that the Teen Titans fought in their first year? And who was it that Lilith ascended to join? Hyperion and Thia look identical to their earlier appearances, so this is just another Crisis by-product.