Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 4th, 2015, 6:42 pm #111

I think DC writes for a teenage to mid-20's video game audience. "Kick ass" and "cool" dialogue; a la Image in the 90's. Lots of violence and sexual allusions and stuff like bloody corpses and people barfing, mixed in. At times, it's like late 90's Jim Ross is scripting their crap, with lots of "hell, damn, ass, crap".

The Arkham video games probably made them think that sort of junk was acceptable and they've run with it. I think it was one of their animated "movies", where Lois Lane told Superman: "I'll kick your ass when you come home". Really? THAT passed for "writing"?

When the craptastic "Identity Crisis" came out, I jokingly said they should have a company-wide crossover called "Cosmic Treadmill", led by the Flash, and revert everything to their precious 1982 retconned and hand-picked continuity. I couldn't believe it when, 8 years later, they did that EXACT SAME THING with "Flashpoint".

Another thing was during umm... "Final Crisis" (I think), when some Apokolips villain told Luthor: "thank you for doing this. We may let you have a turn with Supergirl".

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 6th, 2015, 5:02 pm #112

Amazing Spider-Man #268-270 (volume 1)
Firelord comes to NYC to get pizza-- "it is a culinary achievement which has been mastered nowhere else in the universe". After almost demolishing the pizza shop, Firelord runs into Spidey and they go on a long brawl across the city.

Scared out of his wits, Spidey tries to go to the FF, but the Baxter Building has disappeared. He leads Firelord through a bunch of traps involving condemned or abandoned buildings. He finally says 'screw it' and just punches the snot out of Firelord.... and it works! The Avengers finally show up to take away the comatose Firelord.

Really fun, almost senseless, Marvel indulgence. It's one of those stories that, to me, will always tie Spidey into the "real" NYC.

There's a bit of a deliberate retro vibe, as Peter Parker visits Aunt May, wearing his signature yellow sweater vest over a white button-up shirt. There's also the debut of the Daily Bugle's new City Editor- Ms. Kathryn Cushing. Talk about a forgotten Spidey Supporting Cast Member who never took off or had any relevance. Like the Bugle's sports writer or any of the random female reporters who would work with Peter.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 13th, 2015, 7:36 pm #113

Secret Wars #7 (2015)
The "Prophet" turns out to be Maximus, who just wanted to get all the factions fighting. Buncha' fighting. More fighting. Mr. Sinister gets beheaded and Apocalypse shows up. The Thors seemingly rebel against Doom. Okay.

Black Panther and Namor let in the "dead" (Marvel Zombies, I guess) and convince them to all go through the Siege Courageous. So there's a convenient "fix-all" plot device.

Um...I think the art's pretty great.

The Swigg Lebowski
dWb Superstar

November 16th, 2015, 6:42 pm #114

The Marvel Zombies are part of the groups beyond the wall that include Ultrons and Symbiotes. Oddly, there were none of the other two in that panel
Scrooge McSuck wrote:I'm too hefty for my slacks. The zippers off it's tracks. I've stretched it to the maa-a-a-a-x.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 17th, 2015, 4:20 pm #115

New Teen Titans Annual #2 (1986)
A cheesy flashback story where they team up with the new Dr. Light to fight robotic alien dinosaurs. Completely worthless.

The second-half is the long promised "Origin of Brother Blood". A bit creepy/ballsy that they tie Blood's costume into the "shawl of Christ". Yeah, THAT Christ. Some ret-conning with Zandia, as it suddenly has natives and a long backstory of fending off the Christian Crusaders. As they fought off the Crusaders, they drained their blood into a cavern below their main church....which appeared to be a Christian church, anyways.

"Brother Blood" is a direct family lineage with a "blood curse". Every 100 years, the offspring will kill the current "Brother Blood" and take his place. The pool of blood has a life-prolonging effect; so call it Lazarus Pit Lite.

Some mild embellishing with the current Brother Blood; as they tie he and his mother into Quarac. The story ends with a final framing sequence, where Mother Mayhem is recounting all this stuff to the Titans. There's also an editorial page from Marv Wolfman, where he talks about how much he likes Brother Blood. I've mentioned it before, but I can't recall a series where the writer indulged in blowing himself, so much.

New Teen Titans Annual #3 (1987)
A very rocky story that introduces new villainess Godiva, and new Titan Danny Chase. Godiva's a mercenary nutjob; think of a psychotic Beyonce as a supervillain.

Another page from Wolfman talks about how the 14-year old telekinetic Chase is such a great character. "He'll put the TEEN back in Teen Titans". He and his parents are agents of the CBI, King Faraday's worthless group. Really tough sell to buy Danny as an agent. They mention he has an "Uncle Adrian in New York", referring to Vigilante... but that connection is never played-up.

Terminator makes a one-page cameo appearance, where he works with the Titans to track down Godiva. Terminator and Wintergreen appear to be happily retired from supervillain-ing and running safari expeditions in Africa.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 17th, 2015, 4:35 pm #116

New Teen Titans #40
Danny Chase's first mission as a full-fledged Titan. The team investigates a series of robberies, committed by the Gentleman Ghost, The Silver Fog (who?) and I.Q. (Ira Quimby). They think they're all connected, but it's just a big coincidence.

In the end, the team captures IQ, but lets the Ghost and Silver Fog get away... but they don't care, because they've captured IQ and they're all happy. No mention of recovery of the stolen goods, either. This story was dedicated to Gardner Fox, so it has a deliberate half-assed throwback feel. Not that Fox's stories were half-assed... but this story was.

The Swigg Lebowski
dWb Superstar

November 18th, 2015, 3:29 pm #117

Has anyone picked up Fight Club 2? I've grabbed a couple of issues, and I was wondering what anyone else thought
Scrooge McSuck wrote:I'm too hefty for my slacks. The zippers off it's tracks. I've stretched it to the maa-a-a-a-x.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 18th, 2015, 3:32 pm #118

New Teen Titans #41
For (my own) reference, we're kinda' in the middle of 1988, now. The Wildebeest returns, as he snatches up old Titans baddies Trident, Puppeteer, Disruptor and Gizmo. He also snatches the pregnant Mother Mayhem from STAR Labs. Wildebeest then reveals that one of his aliases was that of Mother Mayhem's prenatal doctor. Quick appearance by Thunder and Lightning, too.

It's a little silly to think that STAR Labs has a prenatal division specifically for the delivery of potentially super-powered offspring, but whatever. Danny Chase is shown in school...and he's a complete assclown. Nightwing seems to be big on him, but the rest of the team already is starting to dislike him.

They're starting to push Jericho as a gigolo, more. Last issue he was making eyes at Starfire and this issue he's putting the moves on Sarah Simms. Honestly, I think the common belief, at the time, was that Jericho was gay or bi-sexual... just because of his look and mannerisms (sure, that's VERY stereotypical, but it was still the 80's). Writers couldn't have THAT, so they're making him a ladies' man.

Also on the all-important (?) relationship front, Cyborg's girlfriend Dr. Sarah Charles accepts a transfer to San Francisco, but still wants to be with Vic. This was supposed to be a lead-in for a potential "Titans West" spin-off.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 20th, 2015, 8:41 pm #119

New Teen Titans #43
A one-shot story, as it's Raven vs. Phobia. Phobia assassinates two UN candidates, but can't kill the third when it turns out to be her father. Raven helps her calm down and she apparently gives up villainy (for the time being, at least). But two candidates were killed...so, go Titans!

Curt Swan was the guest penciller for this. I usually didn't care for his random one-shot appearances during the 80's and 90's, but his work looks pretty crisp, clean and modern, here.

New Teen Titans #44
The team goes on a road trip to meet Danny Chase's grandpa at a secret agent retirement home in North Dakota. This may well be the singular superhero yarn that's set in NORTH DAKOTA.

Godiva returns and assassinates the guy she was after-- a UK secret service agent named "Cuckoo". So the Titans screwed up, AGAIN.... but they don't care because they got the all-important TAPE that Cuckoo was transporting. Hooray for murder! Go, Titans!

They also meet "Sir Cyril", who mentions he was the Squire of "Knight & Squire" fame. Ha! Betcha' didn't know about this appearance, Hack Morrison!

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 23rd, 2015, 4:29 pm #120

New Teen Titans #45-46
Something fans had actually asked for: it's the return of "Dial H for Hero", with Chris King and Vicki Grant. King's on the run from Grant, who's gone off the deep end and is under the power of the "Children of the Sun". It's also implied that she got into a hippie/druggie scene in Berkley, CA.

After the Titans gets pummeled by Grant, things lead to a fight in San Francisco. Grant disappears and things are left open for more "Dial H" stuff. This was a second plotline that would've led to the potential "Titans West", as the relationship between Dr. Sarah Charles and Cyborg is stressed. Charles is now working out of the San Francisco STAR Labs.

This feels like something that ran in the first 2 years of the title, so that's good. But once again the Titans look like chumps, as they only temporarily staved off the bigger problem.