Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 26th, 2015, 2:09 pm #101

New Teen Titans #35
A one-shot turdburger story, as some random guy suddenly has powers that grant people wishes. At the urging of his girlfriend, he tries to go into business. Titans show up, Raven's Amazing Powers save the day, once again.

New Teen Titans #36
We're in early 1987, now, and it's the introduction of another character/concept that will bog the title down until 1993-: the Wildebeest. The Wildebeest appears to be a corporate suit type of guy-- who's face is never seen. He uses robotic Wildebeest duplicates to mess with the Titans, but then swaps out a real live person for one incident. Starfire thinks it's another robot and kills the guy. The media's there to record it all.

Unusual little interlude where the team discusses their finances. All members, with the exception of Raven, are supposed to pay monthly dues. Nightwing has tons of money from Bruce Wayne, Changeling has the same from Steve Dayton and Cyborg has residual income from his dad's inventions, so the team's covered. Discussing who pays for the electricity, insurance and repairs isn't something that's usually mentioned for any super-team.

They're really ramping up the Raven/Nightwing thing, now. She lives above Broadway and is "soaking up emotions" and now feels she's in love with Nightwing. He seems to be warming up to it, as well. Starfire wants Nightwing to move in, but he's been hesitant...and in the meantime has no qualms about dating and banging her. Master Dick, indeed.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 29th, 2015, 6:25 pm #102

New Teen Titans #37
Most of the Titans temporarily go to jail for the murder of the Wildebeest. Nightwing and Raven track down clues and find out that it was all a set-up, as the Wildebeest used the armor of a one-time villain named "Sunburst" to kill the victim.

Now HOW the Sunburst armor killed the guy, last issue, is never discussed. We just saw Starfire zap and kill somebody.

Raven begins projecting emotions outward and gets Nightwing to kiss her. They prove the Titans innocent of murder and the media exonerates them, again.

The corporate suit behind the Wildebeest is shown (on TV, too)... but it's revealed to be a disguise and we don't see the "real" Wildebeest. They're trying to make him into the team's new (Deathstroke the) Terminator. I've been bitching about how they've changed ideas or concepts, mid-stream, so it's not surprising that Wildebeest becomes yet another example of this.

Wolverine #32 (vol 2, 1990)
Randomly picked this out of my box of leftovers/sale items. Wolvie fights a Yakuza drug ring in Madripoor and almost dies for the millionth time. Fun little scene where he gets stabbed, through a door, then walks around with the sword AND a piece of the door sticking out of his chest.

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

October 29th, 2015, 9:23 pm #103

Anyone reading the relaunched Marvel titles? I picked up Doctor Strange by Jason Aaron and Chris Bachalo, and the new Invincible Iron Man. Both were fun reads, particularly Strange.

The Swigg Lebowski
dWb Superstar

October 30th, 2015, 2:25 pm #104

I enjoyed Iron Man and Dr. Strange. Bendis' is a great choice for Iron Man. Aaron is pretty much untouchable right now. At least to me.

I like New Avengers set up, but not the art work.

I also read Amazing Spider-Man, and I can't say I like it. It's derivative of Iron Man and Batman Incorporated, and I really didn't like Batman Incorporated.

Captain America is the first time a FalCap book actually read like a Captain America book. I'm interested to see where it goes. I was on the fence about it before the reboot, but it's saved me.

Guardians of the Galaxy did a good set up of the new team, but I'm not sure how it will handle longtime. I do like Kitty and Thing on a team together. Not sure why, but I do.

Spider-man 2099 was ok. Forgettable, honestly, but not so bad that I didn't like it.
Scrooge McSuck wrote:I'm too hefty for my slacks. The zippers off it's tracks. I've stretched it to the maa-a-a-a-x.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 2nd, 2015, 4:10 pm #105

New Teen Titans #38
Part one of a crossover with Infinity, Inc. Nightwing and Jericho sit this one out, while the "Infintors" are: Jade, Nuklon, Obsidian, Mr. Bones and Wildcat II.

There's no gimmick to how the teams meet; Infinity just decides to visit Titans Tower. The Ultra-Humanite attacks New York and turns into a big energy thing. Most of this issue, though is Obsidian and Raven flying around in their black energy forms. Obsidian develops a crush on Raven.

I don't have the second part of this, and there's not enough interest for me to track it down. Really feels like a rehash of the "Batman & the Outsiders" crossover from about 3 years back.

New Teen Titans #39
Starfire and Raven have a chick-bonding week in Tahiti, where they talk about her powers and their effect on Nightwing. The cover and the interior both have full-on Raven Nudity--- with the convenient hair or steam to hide the private parts. So her "hot chick push" continues.

BIG ret-con, as they now mention that Starfire's marriage to Karras has absolutely no legal bearing or commitment...and that they were never officially married. HUH? So she celebrates by banging Nightwing.

The Nightwing/Raven thing is basically ended.The rest of the book is full of touchy/feely human drama crap as everyone goes to Cyborg's place for a BBQ. Plus Wonder Girl and Starfire go on a photo shoot. Feel bad that someone paid a premium price of $1.75 for this shlop.

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

November 2nd, 2015, 8:55 pm #106

The Swigg Lebowski,Oct 30 2015 wrote: I enjoyed Iron Man and Dr. Strange. Bendis' is a great choice for Iron Man. Aaron is pretty much untouchable right now. At least to me.

I like New Avengers set up, but not the art work.

I also read Amazing Spider-Man, and I can't say I like it. It's derivative of Iron Man and Batman Incorporated, and I really didn't like Batman Incorporated.

Captain America is the first time a FalCap book actually read like a Captain America book. I'm interested to see where it goes. I was on the fence about it before the reboot, but it's saved me.

Guardians of the Galaxy did a good set up of the new team, but I'm not sure how it will handle longtime. I do like Kitty and Thing on a team together. Not sure why, but I do.

Spider-man 2099 was ok. Forgettable, honestly, but not so bad that I didn't like it.
Yeah, I haven't been reading any Marvel consistently since about 2010, so that Kitty Pryde: Star Lord thing seemed out of left field, but I'm kinda digging it. Having Thing on an outer space team actually makes a lot of sense, seeing as he'll fit in and for once not be considered some sort of outcast.

I'm really liking the Sam Wilson series. Having him retelling his adventures to a couple of yahoos on a plane is a nice touch, giving it a TV-serialized feeling. The not-so-subtle political commentary is a hoot too.

I finally started reading Sex Criminals and Saga. Both are a lot of fun and the characters are very easy to get attached to.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 2nd, 2015, 9:52 pm #107

Are the new relaunched (again) Marvel titles spinning out of the end of "Secret Wars"? I haven't been following the fanboy news, but I got the sense that all this "new" stuff would be launched AFTER Secret Wars reset everything into a "New Earth" or something.

Went into a comic shop, last week, and was really confused about what was going on.

The Swigg Lebowski
dWb Superstar

November 3rd, 2015, 2:54 pm #108

Short Answer: Yes, they are.

Long Answer/Explanation: Secret Wars was originally supposed to end in October as a six issue series. Now it's running into December as an eight issue series. That means that all the new post-Secret Wars books are coming out before Secret Wars ends. Some, like Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, haven't been effected. Others, like Guardians of the Galaxy, have been.

It's a real bone of contention for some fans. My shop has lost several long time subscribers over the past few years because they're sick of the reboots from both companies. We have one customer who dropped all his DC books when the new 52 came out, which totaled around $100-$150 a month for us. We've had several cut back on their Marvel, and one completely bail because of the Secret Wars stuff.

Something I didn't anticipate, having only been in the comic retailing business for a few months: Secret Wars lasting several months cut into our sales, as most of the regular books were suspended. While we did make some of that in selling the Secret Wars series, it was a crap-shoot. We've got a bunch of the books, like Infinity Gauntlet, in surplus on the shelf.
Scrooge McSuck wrote:I'm too hefty for my slacks. The zippers off it's tracks. I've stretched it to the maa-a-a-a-x.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 3rd, 2015, 3:45 pm #109

You can count me into Paragraph #3. The only thing that was making me buy "Avengers", up until about a year ago, was the obsessive completionist fanboy in me. I read a few issues of their "Time Runs Out" nonsense and that it was just that-- nonsense.

Avengers was the last Marvel title I was buying (dropped DC, completely, a few months before "New 52"). I wasn't enjoying the story and there were about three or four other "Avengers #1" on the racks at that time ("Mighty", "Secret", "Uncanny" and "Captain America & the "). I really didn't get why they reset and re-started "Uncanny Avengers".

Suited up, one final time, for "Secret Wars". Was hoping it'd be the big magnum opus they were hyping and that it'd be a good cap-off for "The Marvel U as I Knew It". It's a Fantastic Four story with yet more bullshit "Alternate Realities". I have a history of despising those, as they are extremely easy to write and never have a good pay-off. Everything usually gets reset in a blast of white light, an "ultimate sacrifice" or a magic spell.

I'm sure it's annoying that I post all these terrible "retro quickie reviews", but I'm enjoying them and feel more tuned in with them; it's not just nostalgia. I still read and follow the current "GI Joe" continuation, because I'm a big retro nerd. Yet part of me is secretly hoping that it ends within the next year.

The Swigg Lebowski
dWb Superstar

November 4th, 2015, 4:14 pm #110

The "modern" feel of the New 52 stuff has kept me away from a lot of DC stuff in the past few years. I enjoyed Azzarello & Chiang's run on Wonder Woman (even though I didn't like the retconning of her origin), and I think the Flash was ok. The other stuff has been give or take to me.

I wanted to like Snyder's Batman, but he's gone a bit too dark at times. I've had several conversations that it's more like an Image book than a DC, and that hurts it in my estimation.

I really enjoyed "Superman: Lois & Clark" #1. It read like an old school Superman book instead of the angsty emo Superman we have now. Of course, that's because it actually IS old school Superman.