2014 Weekly Comic Buys n' Reads

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

January 26th, 2014, 3:08 pm #1

I've been reading a lot of Post-Crisis DC lately. Blue Beetle, the Superman titles, Justice League, Suicide Squad and digging into the Flash again.

I'm also considering changing up my monthly pull list a lot. I've been tempted to pull back on my DC and Marvel books and go a little more indy. The rumored $4.99 price increases might push me there.

Also Batman '66 is super fun.

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

January 26th, 2014, 5:27 pm #2

4.99 per single issue is ridiculous. I gave up trying to buy comics every month due to 3.99 being the norm (plus buying a house, cutbacks in work, etc).

I recently read Scott Snyder's Batman Vol. 1 and 2 because they were 3.99 a piece on the Google Play Store. I really enjoyed the Court of Owls storyline, makes me want to read the other New 52 Batman-related titles.

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

January 26th, 2014, 6:43 pm #3

I do my comics mail order and get 40% off of issue price. That's the only thing that's keeping me in.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

January 27th, 2014, 3:35 pm #4

I currently "subscribe" to exactly two books: GI Joe (Larry Hama's 80's continuation) and Uncanny Avengers.

I tried the latest "Rogue Planet" Avengers; issue 25.1, ISSUE#1 or whatever bullshit numbering they pulled on it. Too much about yet another time-travel/future event that's coming down the line. It then follows up with a parallel Earth and yet-another "alternate version" of established concepts.

Of course, as has become the "tradition" for over 20 issues, Captain America and Iron Man are STILL talking about how "we need to get bigger". Damn, this makes that Justice League relaunch from about 9 years ago look practically rapid-fire (the series where Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman sat around looking at pictures for 10 issues saying who was "in").

Making time travel and alternate versions of familiar heroes and villains is THE easiest thing to do for any writer. You can mix it up to your heart's content, without fear of fan backlash. Fans are roped in at the mere mention of seeing something just slightly different that they eat it up with a big spoon. "Whoa! Captain America with a SQUARE shield and a different costume?! Sign me up!!"

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

February 9th, 2014, 3:23 pm #5

I acquired Uncanny X-Men #118 last night at Jetpack Comics for 10 dollars. It's in pretty good condition and is now my new oldest single issue of the series.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

February 10th, 2014, 3:27 pm #6

10 bucks is a pretty good deal for any Uncanny X-men issue from that era. I consider #'s 94-138 to the "Golden" era of that book.

You don't want to know what my oldest Uncanny issue is. Had it for about 20 years, now.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

March 6th, 2014, 9:07 pm #7

Giant Size Invaders #1, Invaders #1-2
One of the first significant "recton" projects, as the premise is essentially: 'why didn't the Golden Age Marvel heroes fight any super villains?' There's also a love letter from writer Roy Thomas, explaining how and why things fit in. Thomas seemed to write these editorial love letters on a LOT of his stuff. Indeed, he took this exact same Golden Age team retcon concept and re-applied it a few years later, over at DC, with "All-Star Squadron".

So the stories are a little...weak. Some Nazi spies are trying to capture one of the scientists who was on-hand at Captain America's creation. This leads to a fairly ambitious, wide-set, story as the Human Torch, Toro and Namor all come in. Their foe is the "new" Nazi supervillain, Master Man; he's the "ubermensch" and basically the original concept for Superman. He's sorta' the Nazi answer to Cap, but after beating the Invaders around, her runs out of steam and reverts to a weakling.

Master Man was supposed to assassinate Winston Churchill, who was arriving in NYC via boat. Churchill thanks the heroes and dubs them "Invaders", since they'll be invading Hitler's "Fortress Europa".

They then head off to Europe and their own series, where they fight some Teutonic "gods" and meet a mysterious blonde chick. At one point, the blonde tries to make-out with Cap. They turn out to be aliens, all duped by the Nazi villain "Brain Drain"; known locally as "Agent 14.415" (or something similar). Brain Drain's kinda' creepy, as he's a domed brain in a robotic shell. I think he becomes a recurring villain, or at least stick around long enough for a Marvel Two-in-One crossover. The aliens all rebel against Brain Drain and sacrifice themselves by creating an atomic explosion.

"Giant-Size" is okay, but the first two official issues kinda' stink.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

March 12th, 2014, 10:52 pm #8

Invaders #3
The team returns to the US to see footage of a traitorous Atlantean, U-Man, working with the Nazis and attacking Allied ships. For 1942, they sure had GOOD camera men on a military ship. Winston Churchill is bound for the Bahamas in a "flying boat" and is suspected to be U-Man's next target.

Namor is insistent on taking out U-Man, so he storms off, fighting Cap and the Torches on the way out. Bucky talks Namor into letting him tag along. Which is weird, because the big brawl between the team was started because Namor wanted to do things himself... so why he suddenly lets Bucky tag along is strange. Also strange that Bucky suddenly calls Namor his "buddy" and is willing to defy Cap over it.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

March 12th, 2014, 10:59 pm #9

Uncanny Avengers #16
Thor dukes it out with Uriel, the male Apocalypse Twin. Thor drops him into some sort of energy portal, apparently frying him; and burning away Thor's arm in the process. In the background, the Avengers and Earth's other heroes (in a one page cameo) are trying to stop the Celestial Executioner from destroying Earth.

Still like this story, but it needs to wrap up, soon. The last 5 issues have felt like penultimate issues, so it's a little discouraging to get strung along like this. It seems like we've been in the final chapter for way too long, now. I've kept expecting to see "To be CONCLUDED..." instead of "To be Continued..."

Since the Scarlet Witch, Celestials, Kang and even Immortus are all involved, I don't suspect any of the "deaths" in this story to stick (Witch, Wonder Man and Rogue).

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

March 17th, 2014, 6:07 pm #10

Invaders #4
The team fights U-Man in Bermuda (not the Bahamas like I said before). Cap and the Torches make a big deal out of stealing a plane from the US Army to get there. When everybody gets to Bermuda, things are going along like you'd expect... until a weird time vortex causes all the ships to fly up in the air and everybody to freak out. U-Man and the Nazis escape and Winston Churchill is safe.

Turns out, the weird vortex was a plug for Marvel's "Skull the Slayer" series. Umm... okay. Since Skull was apparently Incredibly Important at the time. We even got a glimpse of dinosaurs. I understand a little passing reference to a new title to cultivate interest, but having it as the deux ex machina that affects the ENTIRE PLOT (especially the fight they had built up for the past two issues) is horse-crap.

5 issues into this series and my opinion of it has plummeted.