Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 28th, 2014, 2:02 pm #71

Tracked down a few of the other Knightquest "crossovers". They add very-little-to-nothing to the overall story. Just "blogging" these for my own sake.

-Catwoman #1-4
Catwoman in Santa Prisca, as she makes nice with the island's "El Jefe", while following a hit that Bane put on her. Only notable scene is in #4, where we see Bane in Blackgate Prison, all strung out and looking like death warmed over. Catwoman feeds him misinformation about "El Jefe" being his dad, so he kills Catwoman's sidekick Leopold.

-Shadow of the Bat #19-20
Batman runs into the Tally Man (I hear if you're nice, he'll tally you banana. Hey-oh...or should that be dey-oh?). He's sort of like a mix between Mr. Zsasz and Anarky. Another "feeder villain" arc. He's interesting, if not redundant. After this, he'd go into limbo and wouldn't be seen until 1999 when he popped up as one of Lockdown's wardens during "No Man's Land".

-Chain Gang War #6
Now we're REALLY stretching as Batman makes a very brief appearance that has nothing to do with the issue's plot and he doesn't encounter any characters. At least "Guest-starring: the NEW Batman" isn't on the cover and it wasn't promoted as such. This was a very weird series, as it felt like something Valiant or Image would've put out. I remember seeing it on the racks, at the time, and never knew it was DC.

-We keep hearing that Bruce and Alfred are in Europe, but we haven't seen that story, yet. Compared to "Knightquest: The Crusade", I think "Knightquest: The Search" only has a few issues.

After reading these, I don't think I'll do any more and will stick to books branded with the Knightquest banner. I believe "Robin #6" is the only satellite book that uses the banner, and then only for the key conclusion chapter.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 2nd, 2014, 9:26 pm #72

Uncanny Avengers #23
They finally get past the Apocalypse Twins/Kang/Planet X thing. Almost... as this issue deals with the fallout.

-Wonder Man is now trapped inside Rogue. Sorta' like her original Ms. Marvel thing, but he's much more vocal
-Sunfire is finally modified to resemble his "age of Apocalypse" look....albeit almost 20 years after it was popular
-Captain American is permanently old. I expect that to change next time I see Cap in another book.

Havok and Wasp are still together because....ummm, they just are. They had a kid in an alternate future timeline, but their whole relationship just feels so random to me. Oh and Havok is now "disfigured" because his face got burned.

They finally get to the Red Skull and his S-Men from issue 2. They're now joined by worthless alternate X-men future baddie, Ahab.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 8th, 2014, 5:31 pm #73

Shadow of the Bat #21-23 (Knightquest: The Search)
The much-mentioned "Bruce and Alfred in England" story. With the help of local British hero, The Hood, they are able to track down Benedict Asp, Shondra Kinsolving and Jack Drake. Asp has a history with Shondra and uses his amplification powers to boost her healing powers.

Problem is, Asp is working with a Russian baddie to twist Shondra's healing powers into killing powers. They use it to wipe out an entire village. Bruce and Alfred are able to save Jack Drake, but Asp and Shondra get away.

Yup... after having no real display of superhuman powers, Shondra is suddenly revealed to have some. Which pretty much foretells that Bruce will be healed. In this story, Bruce uses Alfred and a lot of support to stand upright and appear as Batman to the Hood. The Hood's actually kinda' neat and I'm either surprised or thankful that Grant Morrison didn't scrape him off the floor for his crappy "League of Batmen" story, circa 2007.

They also show Alfred's end of the phone call to Tim Drake. Both sides want to tell the other that there are problems, but thought it best not to bring them up right now.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 8th, 2014, 5:39 pm #74

Batman #503-504 (Knightquest: The Crusade)
New Batman meets Catwoman, who's in the midst of a caper to prevent some eco-terrorists from gassing a corporate summit. New Bats gets a boner over Catwoman and has to deal with these weird feelings (weird to him, at least). Catwoman's able to figure out that this is completely different person in the suit. In the end, after the gassing is prevented, Batman basically condemns her to the cops.

This is the middle two parts of a 4-part crossover with the Catwoman title. The bookend pieces just add more details about the eco-group and how two guys splinter off from them to do Bad Stuff. Catwoman's also able to get herself out of the cop predicament. The Catwoman title is really kinda' worthless. She hadn't appeared in the Bat-titles for awhile and hadn't been a key component since pre-Crisis. Suddenly, she's given a big role and her own title. Golly, you don't suppose it had ANYTHING to do with the way she was drawn and the pending "Bad Girl" craze, do ya'?

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 18th, 2014, 4:20 pm #75

Detective Comics #670 (Knightquest: the Crusade)
A self-contained story, as a frozen "floater" body fished out of Gotham River turns out to be Mr. Freeze. Batman and (newly appointed) Detective Montoya fight Freeze at the morgue. First time Freeze had been seen in a few years, as he's more like a low-level Iceman.

Of course, at the end Montoya says Batman is "different, somehow". A little weird, because Montoya only came along in mid-1992 and didn't have a history with the original Batman.

I think Freeze would go back to limbo, after this. He returned in 1995's "Underworld: Unleashed", where a lot of villains got upgrades. Freeze was one, as he appeared in back-to-back weeks with "upgrades". In the first, in "Green Lantern", he became much more like an Iceman, with freezing powers. The next week, he appeared in "Batman" with a different upgrade-- armored-up like his animated counterpart-- with NO mention of the Green Lantern upgrade. You had to cook up your own No-Prize to explain this.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 29th, 2014, 2:22 pm #76

Detective Comics #671-673 (Knightquest: the Crusade)
Joker's plan to film his movie, "The Death of Batman" goes into full swing. He hires a female college student to play the victim, who temporarily stirs up some emotions in New Batman. When Joker captures Batman for the final scene, once again, he notices: "there's something DIFFERENT about him".

Joker freaks out that it's not the real Batman, but gets his head handed to him. Batman breaks his arms and is about to do more, when the GCPD stops him. Joker is hauled away in am ambulance, but escapes.

Some cute stuff in here, like the two movie execs who are ringers for Siskel & Ebert. The overall plot is something more akin to the "Animated Series", as Joker gets completely immersed in the movie director role. Animated Joker stories did a lot for the character and really improved him over the "dangerous psycho" that he was in the late 80's/early 90's. So swinging things in that direction wasn't bad.

Now that seemingly EVERYBODY has realized "he's DIFFERENT", it's time for the final act of "Knightquest", which starts with....

Batman #505 (Knightquest: The Crusade)
Throwaway late 80's/early 90's villain Abbatoir returns to consume some more of his family in a 5-way murder. The last family member left is one Graham Etchison, who's part of a charitable effort for orphans (with a cameo from Leslie Tompkins).

Abbatoir kidnaps Etchison and a bus-full of kids on a snowy mountain road, but Batman makes the save. Now that's what I call a sticky situation (*ice cream*). Batman makes the right move by saving the dangling bus and letting Abbatoir get away. Abbatoir has no powers, but he becomes significant from now on. To a lesser extent, so does Graham Etchison.

Another key point that develops is that Jean-Paul is now seeing TWO sets of hallucinations. St. Dumas, who is still prodding him on the "crusade to save the dark city" and now his father, who is telling him to return to a more violent and death-dealing Azrael (also a chance to draw the failry cool old Azrael outfit). Jean-Paul is aware that it's his subconscious battling "The System", but it becomes a huge part of his character for the next few years (even spilling over into his solo series, when it's launched in late 1995).

Infinite Devil Machine
dWb Superstar

September 29th, 2014, 9:59 pm #77

I'm not a comic book guy, but last weekend at a local flea market I managed to score a pretty good deal. For $35 I picked up all but 11 issues of Countdown To Final Crisis, the entire 7 issue Final Crisis series, the four part Rouge's Revenge arc, and a couple of the epilogue/ancillary books. They're all bagged and boarded and might be going up on E-bay soon.

If so, I'll leave a link here for anyone interested.
What "World of Warcraft" players see when they're not playing.....

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 29th, 2014, 11:14 pm #78

eBay 'em.

Here's all you need to know: each issue in that lot ran at least $3. Sad to think that someone probably shelled out about $200, total, for 'em.

Your best bet is to sell them as lots. Individual issues will take forever to sell.

Quick glance at eBay has the entire lot of "Countdown" for 49.99, no bids and 8.95 "Economy Shipping". Some completed auctions have the entire set, unsold, for 29.99.

"Final Crisis"--- well, they ran with multiple alternate covers for every issue. That might make it tough to figure out which versions you have. Even then, the whole "Countdown" and "Final Crisis" stuff was fairly despised amongst comic nerds. I hope I'm off-base, but it sounds like an uphill battle to sell these.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 3rd, 2014, 3:54 pm #79

Shadow of the bat #25 (Knightquest: The Crusade)
Contains another significant change for "New Batman" as he runs into the Corrosive Man and the incredibly worthless "New Blood" hero, Joe Public. During the fight, Corrosive Man's, umm, corrosive powers begin burning away Batman's costume. So he decides he needs to design an improved costume-- one with metal wings for a cape, a new robotic helmet like LOD 2000 and a slight logo update on his chest-piece.

Joe Public is awful. Visually, he looks like a rip-off of the Epic Comics character "Marshal Law" and Howard Chaykin's "American Flagg". The whole "New Blood" thing was amazingly terrible. A direct reaction to the "Image boom" of the time, it was DC's creators making their own 90's heroes. About 40, in all. All of them sucked, with only "Hitman" gaining any level of significance.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 9th, 2014, 4:04 pm #80

Avengers #35-36 (2014)
Another all-encompassing time/space "epic" with tons of techno-babble about how the multiverse is coming to an end. It's set "8 months in the future", so there's all kinds of BIG CHANGES in the heroes; like Hyperion with a BEARD, Sunspot owns AIM and Smasher still has her magical ass. In other words, the writers couldn't make these things happen organically, so they pulled some bullshit overnight "future" stuff and we're basically reading another "alternate reality".

An exact quote that's a good sample of what they're trying to sell:

"An anti-matter injection core gives you a higher upper threshold of usable energy. But it's a burst-- and the bottleneck problem has always presented conversion issues"

I think that was supposed to make us feel SMART... but I feel stupid reading and typing that.

Ex Nihilio is suddenly back. I think a good indicator for me is: "whenever Ex Nihilio shows up, something that sucks is about to happen".

I spent 9 bucks on this garbage. Not sure why #35 was a dollar more than #36. I think I've officially tapped out when it's come to this volume (5) of "Avengers". I'm done. 36 issues with a few "point one" issues; is enough of an even number for me to satisfy my completionist syndrome.

I foolishly also picked up "Axis: X-men & Avenges #1". Or, as I call it: "Sixis", due to its shitty logo. Haven't read it, yet. Could be a make-or-break for me. I know that's a common comic nerd reaction ("one more and I'm dropping it"), but there's enough old stuff for me to read (and about 18 years of TV queued up for me on Netflix and Hulu, plus WWE Network) that I'd rather spend time doing something else. I mean, I'm enjoying the crappy 1994 Batman yarns more than I ever did.