Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

September 26th, 2013, 2:18 am #131

Cerebus takes a few issues to really get going. People usually recommend starting with the High Society arc but I feel those really early issues provide good context for the stuff that follows. Are you planning to read anymore issues beyond just the first one?

I've been digging into Post-Crisis Superman. Read Man of Steel #1-6, Superman #1-2, Adventures of Superman #424-425 and Action Comics #584. Been digging it a lot. I wouldn't call Superman one of my favorites but I really want to dig into his world a lot more and this seemed like a good era to read through.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 26th, 2013, 9:50 pm #132

Yeah, planning to read Cerebus, in order, until I get bored. The second issue started out with a little more humor, but then became fairly heavy at the end, as it was implied Cerebus had "no soul" which made him immune to an evil spell.

I really liked Post-Crisis Superman, at the time. The John Byrne re-launch, right? In the early 80's Superman was quite terrible, so it did a fine job of streamlining his world. I think the 90's cartoon borrowed quite a bit from it. For my money, this was the best version of Lex Luthor ever done.

Keep with Action Comics, too. It was basically "DC Comics Presents", as it was Superman's team-up book until issue 601.

It's down the road a ways, but I remember enjoying the arc where Superman felt he was dangerous and exiled himself into space. Circa 1988 or so. That was probably after Byrne left the book. I've always liked Byrne's 80's artistic work, but he seemed to clash with other creators fairly often over writing duties and never got to carry out his plans for a title. As such, he usually things in disarray and it became a joke that a title was about to get "Byrned".

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

September 26th, 2013, 9:54 pm #133

Yeah, Bryne is writing Superman and Action Comics and Wolfman is doing Adventures of Superman.

Cerebus gets really good in the 20s and stays really good until maybe the 120s and stays good until around the 150s. Then it kind of falls off a cliff. But there's a solid 90 issues of amazing storytelling going on.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 30th, 2013, 9:28 pm #134

Uncanny X-Force #1-9 (vol. I)
I'm not sure on the exact lineage of X-Force, but this team is Wolverine, Deadpool, Psylocke, Fantomex and Archangel. Created as the "Secret X-men" black ops team.

The first four issues move fairly slowly, as they go to the moon to find and kill a re-born Apocalypse.. who turns out to be a little kid. Fantomex takes the kill shot and since this involves time-travel and cloning, this seems like a throwaway story. But it has lasting effects, as it turns out Apocalypse has effects on all timelines and killing the kid may have sped things up. Oh yeah, this same murder is the one that recently pissed off Captain America in "Uncanny Avengers".

That's followed by 3 issues of dealing with Fantomex's home of "The World", which is taken over by zombie cyborgs of Marvel heroes, from the future of course. Deathlok helps them out and hangs around for awhile. This arc kinda' stinks, unless you really like Fantomex.

Up next is a quick request from Magento to kill an old Nazi in Argentina. Very similar to "X-Men: First Class" (the movie). Then a quick run-in with the Shadow King, who unhinges Archangel's "dark side".

Things really pick up as they find out Archangel is now the "Heir to Apocalypse". They break out the Dark Beast and hop to the "Age of Apocalypse" timeline to find a cure for Archangel. Sure, it's the usual alternate timeline heroes bullshit, but there's some good stuff with the Celestials mixed in, as it turns out Apocalypse just may be like a mini-verison of Galactus and a necessary force of nature.

Well crafted use of the existing plots. It's not just "let's do this and see if it catches on", as the plots seem to all gel and flow into each other, after the arc with The World.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 12th, 2013, 4:05 am #135

Cerebus #2-8
Continues along as a sword n' sorcery satire, as he meets characters like Red Sophia, Elrod of Melvinbone and Bran Mak Muffin. The Mak Muffin story really takes a hard turn halfway through, as Cerebus begins smashing a giant aardvark idol Muffin's tribe had been worshiping.

Elrod was apparently a very popular character amongst D&D dorks, err, readers at the time. Based on the semi-popular "Elric", he speaks just like Foghorn Leghorn.

The stories with the guest stars work well as satire (again, "Dragon" magazine), but the solo-Cerebus stories begin to have a more serious tone. Issue 4 is also significant, because that seems to be where Cerebus' look n' feel gets established. In the first 3 issues, he physically looks much different from his usual appearance.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 12th, 2013, 4:10 am #136

Superman/Wonder Woman #1
Given to me, free, as I was curious if DC still pisses me off. Yup. Plenty of talk of the two calling each other "Clark" and "Diana". Wonder, errr, Diana even name-drops: "if I wanted that, I'd be with Hal Jordan". Gee, isn't it neat that they all know each others' names?!!

Some story about them flying over an ocean freighter and running into Doomsday. I. Don't. Care.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 17th, 2013, 10:06 pm #137

Avengers (vol.5) #20
More talkie stuff about "Infinity", with plenty of Ex Nihilio while Cap discusses strategy with the remaining space alliance guys. I'm not reading "Infinity", but 20 issues into this series and I'm still waiting for something to happen. Instead it seems to constantly allude to upcoming events and how some master cosmic plan is going to reach fruition.

Friends are telling me "Infinity is SO awesome", but I can't get into it, as it doesn't feel like an Avengers story. Super heroes flying around in space ships and doing very little super hero-y stuff (like using their powers)... could be anybody in their roles. Really can't wait for it to end.

Then I read that the Avengers are being re-shuffled, yet again, as a new creative crew comes aboard soon. Makes me feel like this title's been a waste. If this results in another new "Avengers #1", I'm done. For real.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 30th, 2013, 3:09 pm #138

Uncanny Avengers #12
More origin stuff of the Apocalypse twins, with callbacks to the "Uncanny X-Force" plots... which would be nice to have annotated with asterisks. The silly "Marvel AR" app isn't in effect, either.

The story is still working well, though. It's down to the Scarlet Witch being told to "rapture away" all the mutants on Earth. Works well for Kang, but the Twins pulled a switcheroo on him, using this rapture plan to also kick him out of the timestream. So I'm guessing Kang (or Immortus, who has been hinted at) returns with a vengeance and sets everything right.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 5th, 2013, 5:00 pm #139

Cerebus #9-11
Pretty much a pain to get through. The satire aspects are growing tired as this is catering way too much to the Sword and Sorcery genre. I'm sure if I was a Conan fan in the 70's, this would be great. #10 is all about Red Sophia, once again and it's even worse than before. #11 features what's supposed to be a Batman satire, "The Cockroach", and it feels out-of-place.

The "letters from the publisher" are full of self-fulfilling hyperbole, as Dave Sim (and/or his wife) talks about all the creators who love him. Mostly Frank Thorne (Red Sonja), then Marshall Rogers and some other name drops that I couldn't care less about. Then it's all about the "cons" they've been to. Don't give your Oscar speech until you've won.

With the Cockroach, it seems like this could dive completely into satirizing other comics. If I didn't know "this gets better around issue 20 or so", I would've stopped reading this shlop.

I'd say "Groo" took over the cartoony sword-n-sorcery spoof (and did a much better job of it) a few years later. Groo also mixed in some social satire as it went on, but it was much more playful, along the lines of "Fractured Fairy Tales".

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

November 6th, 2013, 12:15 am #140

Actually you're about 2 issues away from it getting better. Once he falls in with Lord Julius it stops being a straight up satire of sword and sorcery books.

The Roach is great. He changes his identity over the years to whoever is hot in comics at the moment.

I would also recommend not reading the letters section. Simm gets nuttier as this progresses and he's a truly unlikable human being in most regards.