Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 8th, 2013, 11:05 pm #111

New Defenders #139
Mantis turns out to be a mental projection from Moondragon. Angle hears from a BIRD about a disturbance on an Indian reservation. The team investigates and teams up with Red Wolf. They find a cave full of Asgardian Trolls...with no real explanation of how or why.

The Trolls capture the Defenders and are curious about Moondragon's Odin headband. They offer to take it off, but she resists them. Valkyrie then pulls the entire cave down and everyone escapes. Once all is safe, Moondragon's headband pops off, a signal that she's learned humility (according to Odin, at least). This sets the stage for the final year of Defenders, as we only have 13 issues to go. Cover date is January 1985 (street date of about November 1984).

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 9th, 2013, 5:01 pm #112

New Defenders #140
Moondragon (in a new costume) senses a disturbance somewhere in the midwest. The team is split on whether to follow her, so only Val, Moondragon, Angel and Cloud go. They end up in the midst of a racially-tinged trial, over a teenager who has the ability to "pull out the heartbreak" from people. Moondragon is key in everyone explaining themselves. It doesn't exactly flow well to squeeze the Defenders into this story, but it is sorta' in line with the older 70's stories.

Moondragon also reveals to Cloud that she was sending subconscious sexual signals to Angel and Iceman to get them to fall for her and, potentially, help remove the headband. In a sub-plot, the drifter who turned into a tentacled creature shows up in New Mexico... after being birthed by a cow.

Avengers Assemble #17
Continuing a crossover with Captain Marvel, as she realizes Yon-Rogg is trapped inside her brain. He's also been sending out Kree Sentries to make a mess, in a geographic pattern modeled after the star of Hala (the Kree symbol).

I called it before, but here it is again: the "Captain" Marvel costume will soon go away, since fanboys love the Ms. Marvel threads. They can still bill her as "Captain Marvel", though.

Also found out that I'm in the minority on this title. I thought it took a huge nose-dive after the intial Thanos story. But fans seem to think it's "funny and entertaining" ever since. I've kinda' soured on it, since then, and have been hoping it would be canceled. The Avengers completionist in me is the only reason I still pick it up.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 12th, 2013, 11:23 pm #113

New Defenders #141
The tentacled monster returns, absorbing all sorts of stuff. Moondragon and Gargoyle combine to turn it back, this time. Really, out of all the villains to bring back, they brought back this one?

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

August 13th, 2013, 12:32 am #114

Have you read about the DC Villains month cover fiasco yet?

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

August 15th, 2013, 12:26 am #115

Quantum and Woody #1-2,

The Valiant relaunch hits another one out of the park. Good humor in this book. The first issue was a little slow but things picked up nicely in issue 2.

I told DCBS to just give me all the 2D versions of the Villains month issues I had ordered. I went back and ordered a few more at the cheaper 2D price. Some of those fringe books were worth it for less money.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 16th, 2013, 5:03 pm #116

New Defenders #143-145
Moondragon succumbs to the "Dragon of the Moon" and attacks the team. Valkyrie grows to 100 feet tall and calls in her Valkyrior to fight. It ends by Cloud wrapping herself around Angel and flying into the Dragon.

Moondragon disappears and ends up on the other side of the world. Val is "dead" for one issue, Gargoyle's hand grows back and Angel is blinded. For no real reason, a gigantic Army battalion arrives at the end. Led by "General Argyle Fist", it's another fringe character that the writer's trying to establish.

In the lull of the fight with Moondragon (issue #144), Johnny Blaze and his new girlfriend arrive, asking for money. Another callback to "The Champions". Angel asks him to join as the team's mechanic, but he's too happy being demon-free. The team also briefly discusses merging with the West Coast Avengers.

Minor sub-plot as a mysterious woman pops out of the water in NYC and begins dating a stockbroker.

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

August 18th, 2013, 11:57 pm #117

Store near me was having 25 cent comics today. So I grabbed about 60 issues of Legion of Super-Heroes, Justice League International, Justice League Europe, Legends and Justice League of America. I finally got that elusive 1st issue of JLE.

So I have Justice League Europe #1-50 with maybe 8 missing issues now. I haven't paid more than a dollar for a single issue thus far.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 20th, 2013, 4:52 pm #118

New Defenders #146-147
The team heads back to NYC to hang out at Dr. Strange's apartment for awhile. Strange isn't there, but they hang out, anyways.

The demon spirit of an 18th century hedonist from the "Lords of Fun" shows up, calling himself Hotspur. They duel in Central Park, with all sorts of weird mental images, including a random appearance of Sgt. Fury. Cloud suddenly has telepathy and uses it to defeat Hotspur. In the midst of the fight, Andromeda arrives (the mysterious stockbroker-dating chick) and joins the team.

Seraph returns at the end, taking Cloud away and teasing she knows the Secret Origin of Cloud. It'll be awhile, since we've got a filler issue coming up...

New Defenders #148
Hellstrom and Patsy Walker meet Gargoyle and the Beast in San Francisco on a case involving a relic called "The Lesser Grey God". Hellstrom invited them out because they were all Defenders in the story arc against the Six-Fingered Hand. Okay--- a nice attempt at continuity, but Beast didn't join until a few issues after that story. Val would've been a better choice.

Then it's a return appearance by Cutlass and Typhoon, along with former vampire Hannibal King in ANOTHER convoluted plot. There's a cabbie resembling Groucho Marx who receives a ton of screentime, since the writer probably thought he was hilarious.

Gargoyle immediately expresses regret when Cutlass and Typhoon enter, which is unintentionally the same emotion of this issue's readers. Nice to see Hellstrom and Patsy back, but they just stand around while Cutlass babbles. With this callback to the old team, along with the random campout at Dr. Strange's place, you can see how they were trying to bring back readers.

In the typical Defenders subplot, a big hairy drifter is seen walking through the mountains.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 20th, 2013, 5:07 pm #119

New Defenders #142
Skipped over this one, but here it is. Beast takes Cloud and Iceman on another college speaking engagement in Boston. Senator Kelly is also speaking and, along with the recent uproar over Alison Blaire coming out as a mutant, the mutant issue is finally addressed, head-on, in this title.

A pianist named Adrian who has 6 fingers and infra-red vision tries to attack Senator Kelly. But it appears that Cloud accidentally kills him with lightning. Beast then announces he's forming MONSTER (Mutants Only Need Sensitivity, Tolerance and Equal Rights).... which I don't think we'll ever hear about again.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 22nd, 2013, 4:57 am #120

New Defenders #149-150
Cloud is revealed to be a sentient nebula and a good friend of a Cosmic Cube. Hearing the Cube's stories of Earth and Captain America, the nebula decided to visit Earth, but ran into either a brother/sister or two lovers who died in a car wreck. The nebula used them as templates to become Cloud, although lost its memory in the process.

The Defenders and Seraph travel to some unnamed planet to fight aliens and something called "the Star-Thief". With the help of the Cube, who forms itself into a likeness of Cap. The Thief has been stealing, well, stars... and it all turns out to be caused by an alien princess in a coma. The Cube and Cloud sort everything out and the Defenders go home.

Cloud remains in space as a nebula. But no clear cut ending for the two people whose place the nebula took. They were last shown on life support, so who knows.

Back-up story has Sassafras the dog having some fun with the Aerie's hologram defense system. Until Manslaughter shows up to wait for the Defenders. All a set-up for the final two issues.

Beast tries to get back with Vera, but runs off to help the team. He gives her a "Beast Signal Watch". Vera would make a few appearances in "X-Factor", only popping up when a writer remembered her. Completely forgettable character, for someone who was Beast's girlfriend as far back as the late 60's.