Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

July 24th, 2013, 5:02 pm #101

Avengers #16 (2013)
Manifold and Capt. Universe end up on... Galador?! Quick cameo by a buncha' Spaceknights in another WTF moment. Although the Spaceknights were mentioned in a "point one" issue of Avengers a few years ago, weren't they?

On Earth, a big ol' shiny robot arrives to beat the tar out of the Avengers. Meanwhile, Nightmask and Starbrand have been trapped in some sort of prison on the Sun and are training for something. I get that this is building up to something, but I still feel like I've missed quite a bit.

The past two issues have suddenly been billed as "Prelude to Inifinty", but the overall plot and tone haven't changed. I like that, as my favorite element of 1991's "Infinity Gauntlet" was that it had spun out of a plot begun in "Silver Surfer", then it suddenly affected everybody. Seems much more organic that way and not that a sudden crossover has been forced upon everybody. We'll see how this plays out.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

July 27th, 2013, 8:37 pm #102

New Defenders #132
A drifter wanders onto the deserted Gamma Base and eats a radioactive cactus. He wanders to the Defenders' Aerie and turns into a tentacled Swamp Thing creature. They blow him away, but he slowly grows back. Iceman uses his control over moisture to dehumidify the Aerie and cause the creature to die out. Iceman says it's "college physics". Okay.

Beast is away on a speaking engagement at Cornell and will be gone next issue, as well. Angel once again slides into the role of field leader. This is the first issue for writer Peter Gillis, who I think sticks around until the end. For now, the vibe of the team is the same.

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

July 28th, 2013, 6:54 am #103

Defenders #5-7:

They finally took care of that Doomsday computer for good. They tangled with Attuma and the Red Ghost and Hawkeye came in for a stay. Really digging this series and the whole non-team aspect. You really never know who's going to be pop in at any given moment. The crossover with the Avengers is starting up with the next issue.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

July 29th, 2013, 5:33 pm #104

New Defenders #133
With Beast still away, the team takes a vacation to San Francisco. They run into the wannabe PI husband/wife team of Cutlass and Typhoon, Oriental Expediters. Their names sound cool, but they're just two average people. Cutlass may have been based off of Jack Nicholson's character from "Chinatown". Convoluted plot, where the Defenders just run around. At the end, there's an unnamed Asian crime boss, who wants to get revenge on the Defenders by hiring the shadowy Manslaughter.

A very awful story. The writer had high ambitions, but poor execution and it doesn't work at all with the Defenders. Another "idea that should've stayed in someone's head". The quality's been lacking a bit since "New" came along, but this is the first one I've read that had me thinking: "I really wish I wasn't reading this".

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

July 29th, 2013, 10:13 pm #105

Defenders #8-9

Avengers #116

Crossover, is this one of the earliest crossovers of this nature?

The teams split up and are duking it out for the pieces of the Eye of Evil. Really digging this story thus far.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

July 30th, 2013, 5:06 pm #106

Mad Dog,Jul 29 2013 wrote: Defenders #8-9

Avengers #116

Crossover, is this one of the earliest crossovers of this nature?
For a segmented crossover between two TEAMS, I think it may very well be.

With the formula of :
Part 1 is in Title A
Part 2 is in Title B
Part 3 is in Title A, so on...

The original Defenders/Marvel Feature stories kinda' went like that, but each part wasn't exactly essential.

Sub-Mariner and Iron-Man each had non-team-up stories that stretched across five titles in the late 60's.

First Part, each ended with a "to be continued":
-Tales to Astonish (Sub-Mariner story)
-Tales of Suspense (Iron Man story)

Second Part, each story above continued into:
Iron Man/Sub-Mariner #1

Third Part, each story then continued into their solo books:
Iron Man #1
Sub-Mariner #1

They also pulled the same thing off with Hulk and Captain America (the other halves of "Astonish" and "Suspense") going into their own books, but saved a step by not having the one-shot.

The Kree-Skrull War in the early 70's (circa Avengers issues #95 or so) continued from "Avengers" directly into issues of "Captain Marvel", but it wasn't two separate teams. The Defenders/Avengers cross-over took the ol' Gardner Fox JLA/JSA formula of two teams meeting up, then breaking off into tandems, but split it across two separate titles.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

July 31st, 2013, 2:21 pm #107

New Defenders #134
Manslaughter has been stalking the team by leaving notes and threatening messages on the Aerie's answering machine! They ferret him out by allowing him to "kill" Iceman, Angel and Cloud...in another very convoluted way. He's fairly easy to subdue, but he has some definite Joker-esque style to him. Beast returns to the team and comes up with the scheme to catch him.

Gargoyle disappears in a flaming pentagram, which was not one of Manslaughter's tricks, rather a SUB-PLOT. Also, Cloud says that she loves Moondragon, beginning a quasi-lesbian relationship. Cloud's been running around in hot pants and bikinis, and her costume consists of "buck nekkid teenaged blond chick with naughty parts conveniently covered by clouds". Things get WEIRD, very soon, though.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 2nd, 2013, 2:25 pm #108

New Defenders #135
The town below the Aerie is officially named: Elijah, New Mexico. They try taking Manslaughter to the cops, there, and become embroiled in a local dispute. A guy named "Blowtorch Brand", who appears to be a basic arsonist, burns down a building full of "Mexes". The Defenders have more trouble than expected with him.

Incredibly strange moment after the fire stops: Valkyrie takes a dying firefighter hero to the afterlife. Weird, because it had been established that Val and the Valkyrior only did this for Asgardians. So for her to suddenly become a grim reaper like this is very strange. I don't think she ever did it before, or after.

The town of Elijah also continues my Marvel amusement, as it looks very much like parts of Brooklyn rather than rural New Mexico. This also continues my new opinion that "New Defenders" suffered more from bad writing than the overall team switch.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 6th, 2013, 3:54 pm #109

New Defenders #136-137
Gargoyle's disappearance is explained: he was summoned by an Afghan sorceror to be his slave. After fighting off some Russian helicopters, they teleport to the US, specifically Wyoming, where Gargoyle grows to about 100 feet to fight the Defenders. There's a little bit of creativity, as the Defenders blind the sorceror to see their "true selves" and get him to release Gargoyle.

Moondragon kept harping on Gargoyle to remove her headband, as suspicions increase about her. Cloud suddenly transforms into a boy so "he" can be with Moondragon. The Cloud/Moondragon plot seems to have killed the lust from Iceman and Angel, at least.

They mention Dr. Strange, as this story actually seems like something the old team would've faced. Valkyrie tries out their new battle cry: "Forward the Defenders".

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 6th, 2013, 11:49 pm #110

New Defenders #138
Returning home, the team decides to make Candy Southern (Angel's girlfriend) their official team leader. She installs a new holographic security system and a med. room. They christen the new medical stuff by treating Gargoyle (who had his hand hacked-off by Val, last issue). Cloud flip-flops genders in each scene.

Gargoyle recounts the "secret origin of Moondragon", from when she spoke to him telepathically. She was raised by the priest of Pama on Titan, but went too far and encountered the "Dragon of the Moon", who pre-dated the Eternals. The Dragon seeped into her consciousness and she's been trying to keep it at bay, ever since. Moondragon then encounters Mantis in her meditations. Mantis seemingly return to corporeal form and tosses Moondragon through a door.

Angel has a pretty tasteless way of dealing with last issue's Afghan sorceror. He calls the forest rangers and says: "I saw in guy in rags wandering around the woods and there was an explosion".