2012 Weekly Comic Buys n' Reads

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

12:47 AM - Jan 06, 2012 #1

New year, new thread. Crazy concept, I know.

Amazing Spider-Man #676
Spidey doesn't even appear in his own title. Really, it's okay, because it's all about the Sinister Six preventing the Intelligencia from taking over the world with their "Zero Canon". The Canon works well, so Doc Ock leads the Six into action, because they simply don't want some other schmucks taking over the world. That's their job.

Ock gets another upgraded body, similar to Cameron Hodge's in 1990's "X-tinction Agenda". He's basically a crawling tank, now, so I'm sure they can write-in all sorts of gadgets and tricks for him. I like how the whole story is a big tiff between two villainous factions. I always get peeved when writers just ASSUME that all villains are on the same "team" (ahem...DC). Low-level brawlers might be, but not the established villains.

Sandman gets some character-time, as he actually calls Rhino his "friend". Plus he runs into the Wizard and they briefly talk about their old Frightful Four association (plus a mention of his near-Avengers status). Nice to know that Sandman's heroic exploits of the 90's haven't been completely forgotten.

My last issue of "ASM", as my subscription runs out. I'll let it go for now. If I find myself buying more issues off the newsstand, I'll start it up again. A good issue to go out on, as the previous 23 didn't really excite me.

Captain America #122 (1970)
A little bit of SOCIAL COMMENTARY as Cap monologues about how "Patriotism" can be a dirty word in 1970. He spends the rest of the issue whining about Sharon Carter and suddenly bumps into the Scorpion on the street. Coincidentally, Scorp had been hired by a low-level spy gang to kill Sharon. So Cap chases off after Scorp, busts the spy ring and unknowingly saves his love interest.

Kinda' net to see a Cap/Scorpion fight, but the story's lame. The spy gang is called just that and they're run by a guy named "Specs". Ehh...for late Silver Age, it's worth the 4 bucks I paid for it.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

11:51 PM - Jan 11, 2012 #2

Superman: The Sunday Classics 1939-1943
This is a book I picked up from Barnes & Noble about 3 years ago. It's in my living room and I pick it up to read on rare occasions. I sit in my easy chair, dog at my feet, whilst I sit in my bathrobe, smoke a pipe and sip marmalade.

There are some weird stories in here, like when Superman visits the "Lost Cavern", where he fights a bunch'a 10 foot tall giants who are hemophiliacs. That's definitely a weird trait. Most are drawn out yarns with Superman fighting common crooks and facing deathtraps (or saving Lois from them). Superman's also much more forceful, as he tells some crooks: "speak, or I'll grind your bones to dust".

captcomic83
Friend of Pete Doherty
captcomic83
Friend of Pete Doherty

4:15 AM - Jan 16, 2012 #3

Odd news: While Hawk and Dove is getting cancelled, DC is STILL giving Rob Liefeld work, as he is going to be part of THREE 'New 52' books starting with issue #9: The Savage Hawkman, Grifter, and Deathstroke!

Jeremy.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

4:22 PM - Jan 24, 2012 #4

Thunderbolts #168-169
168 is rather weird, as the cover mentions: "Starring: Luke Cage". Makes it seem like the title is in danger. There's also the enigmatic "government" who have been questioning the whole program. In the meantime, Ghost is able to travel back in time and observe the missing/on-the-run team members.

169 features that team meeting the Black Knight (Sir Percy) and King Arthur's Knights of the Round Table. Boomerang and Gunna beat up Percy and take the Ebony Blade...just because it's cool. Arthur, the Knights and Merlin track down the team and capture them with the help of Merlin's MAGIC.

More random stuff with Marvel's sandbox. I like how, so far, the team has been traveling through the mainstream Marvel timeline and not some bullshit alternate reality. Also, Moonstone mentions that she no longer has the power of intangibility. Supposedly it was taken away with the all-powerful collar the Thunderbolts have been wearing.

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

9:36 PM - Jan 24, 2012 #5

So do you have pretty much the straight run of Thunderbolts #1-169? I remember those early back issues were really tough to track down when I got into the series around issue 14 or 15.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

2:21 AM - Jan 25, 2012 #6

Yup. Got into it around issue 6 or so and had trouble tracking down #'s 2 and 3. I think it's one of the few "new" ongoing titles/concepts that Marvel has had since the mid-70's (with the only others being Punisher and All-New, All-Different X-men).

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

2:41 AM - Jan 25, 2012 #7

I think I might have that Wizard issue kicking around too.

I loved the Thunderbolts when I first read about it. Such a novel concept at the time and they've really made the series stick.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

7:11 AM - Jan 25, 2012 #8

The first 13 or 14 issues were really good. Zemo's plan to take over the world actually worked.

It really became the Avengers' B book around 1999 or so. It was saddled with some awful plots from about 2000 until it died in 2003. Stuff like Scourge, Gyrich's Alloy X, and technobabble that made no sense.

The book's gotten better in the last year. I was really close to dropping it, but around "Fear Itself" things began to pick up. They've been hinting at Zemo for awhile, now. The creative team also realized that Songbird, Moonstone and MACH V have a long history with the team. John Walker seems to have been demoted from a main character to a (very) secondary character, which has helped. Haven't seen him in several issues.

Avengers #20-21
The team goes on the offensive against HAMMER, but Osborn was waiting for them and sprung up several traps. All are based off of the stolen DNA collected by former SHIELD agent Washington (Spider-Hulks, Giant-Men, Wasp-troopers, etc).

There was a big deal about Storm joining (and she was given the cover treatment in #21), but she was taken out easily. These last two issues have been about the Avengers getting beaten, so I expect the pendulum to turn, soon.

Avenging Spider-Man #2-3
The super-subterraneans seemingly kill Red Hulk (of course, it doesn't last). Their champion then challenges Spider-Man...and Spidey wins by accidentally de-pantsing the champion. He is "disgraced in battle" and that's that. Yup, that's really the plot they used.

This whole thing was just an excuse for Joe Madureira to draw stupid barbarian crap that he loves (think: "Battle Chasers"). But now he's "taking a few issues off" and the next story arc is coming with Hawkeye. The novelty factor is still present, but this book hasn't exactly been amazing (nor spectacular, sensational or web of).

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

9:32 PM - Jan 25, 2012 #9

I actually liked Hawkeye coming in to work with them. It was when they started picking up Jolt and Charcoal that I think the book starting going downhill.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

9:51 PM - Jan 25, 2012 #10

Well, Jolt came aboard in issue 2 or 3... but I know what you're saying. I'd say that Charcoal wasn't so bad, though. He was officially "Charcoal: The Burning Man", which set up all sorts of LSD/druggie jokes about 5 years before that became well-known. Both Jolt and Charcoal were on the very short list of "Teen Heroes that Didn't Annoy the Crap Out of Me".

You're right: having Hawkeye on-board was enjoyable. He even fit the "former villain turned hero" gimmick. It made them sort of the NEW West Coast Avengers. Even though they operated out of Colorado... and the art looked nothing like Colorado

I'm not sure of an exact issue, but when Kurt Busiek stopped writing the book, it slid. Fabian Nicieza took over and he may be one of the most overrated hacks in the biz (yet consider that I'm a guy who doesn't like to kiss the ass of; or give a shit about; comic book creators. I read books cuz' I like the characters).

The build-up to Humus Sapiens, the Redeemers, MACH 1 becoming 2, 3, then a black guy. They were really into "change for the sake of change" and senseless swerves at that time. I may have some (shitty) blogg-ish entries about the book from around then.