Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

October 6th, 2012, 1:54 am #121

I liked No More Mutants and the 198 a lot. It gave the books a real direction and explained a lot of their distance from the other heroes. I also liked that they made being a mutant rare again. But, I think they had to move past the 198 at some point. With the events and some deaths, they were really down to barebones on the characters. I think the end results of this are good for the X-Men.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 8th, 2012, 6:56 pm #122

Sorry for the mis-post in the "Superhero Cartoon Thread". This has been fixed, obviously.

Captain America #17 (2012)
Cap and SHIELD trace the source of the TV broadcasts to a satellite station. Sharon Carter leads an attack on the station and runs into Baron Zemo. Cap leads an assault on the floating "Hydra Island" because...it's tied in somehow to all the "madbomb" enducing hypnosis that's been emanating from TV sets.

Falcon and Diamondback try to maintain order in NYC, when a buncha' Madbomb signal devices suddenly appear as mobile, Kirby/Celestial-looking water-tanks.

They're also trying to build up a subplot with Diamondback and Cap, again. But it'll probably be wiped out when this title re-launches, soon.

Aside from the presence of the seldom-seen Discordians, this feels like a GI Joe story that would've ran under the Devil's Due banner, circa 2005.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 10th, 2012, 3:22 pm #123

Marvel Two-in-One #19
Tigra comes to the Thing for his help in fighting an EVIL cat-guy named "The Cougar". In one of those Crazy Comic Coincidences, Tigra is able to to sneak into the Baxter Building because Thing accidentally punched out the security system. Once they meet, there's hardly any bickering, as they hit it off and do a straight team-up. Although he's sarcastic, Thing's much more friendly than he's been.

A little bummed that there was a character named "Cougar". When I was an adolescent superhero role-playing nerd in the mid-80's, I cooked up a good guy with the same name. He was essentially my version of "Puma", right down to the Native-American roots. Sure, "cougar" is popularly known as a saucy broad in her 40's, nowadays, but I even wrote a letter to the Rocky Mountain News suggesting "Colorado Cougars" as the new MLB expansion team name in 1991. Even sketched out a crappy logo that had a cougar paw with a baseball in the middle of it.

Sayyyy...I should look for that.

The Swigg Lebowski
dWb Superstar

October 11th, 2012, 12:03 am #124

Word is that Amazing Spider-Man is becoming SUPERIOR Spider-Man in January. Apparently he gets a new costume and new powers. That is, until Quesada gets tired of it and has Mephisto make it all disappear
Scrooge McSuck wrote:I'm too hefty for my slacks. The zippers off it's tracks. I've stretched it to the maa-a-a-a-x.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 11th, 2012, 2:54 pm #125

They've been trying to change Spidey drastically for the past decade or so. All have failed or been met with "meh".

-The Other (Spidey dies, gets new powers... which are never used)

-The whole "Back in Black" arc, where Aunt May gets shot, Spidey gets pissed and goes after Kingpin. Swept away with Mephisto.

-All the new costumes he's had since "Big Time" (late 2010). Stealth suit, combat suit (Ends of the Earth), bullet-proof suit, few more I'm forgetting. It's not like Batman, where he'd have variations on the main suit, they've all tried to be a completely new design of the traditional suit.

I think the reason these didn't really stick is because they wanted to keep him somewhat recognizable and similar to the character in the Sam Raimi movies from 2002-2008.

They tried to make him "edgy" just before the Clone stuff, circa mid-1994. Of course, the 3-4 year long Clone Saga was an attempt to re-direct him. Not to discount the original Black Suit in 1984, which arguably jump-started the interest in Spidey that still continues today.

They've been hinting at these "big changes" in the pages of ASM. Mostly via Madame Web having visions or some shit. I think these sweeping changes for "Superior" will be forgotten within 5 years, but the current ASM status quo definitely needs to change. Horizon Labs has been an awful addition and are very Hanna-Barbera-ish (they remind me of "Clue Club"). I cheered when the Lizard chomped down on Max Modell, but I don't know how that ended up or if Max survived.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 11th, 2012, 10:44 pm #126

Don't know what compelled me, but i dusted off and read a few issues of Marvel's "Star Wars" comic, from about 1980 to 1982. Such weird stuff in there. Including a few issues where Leia is dumped into a "John Carter" homage. Definitely not the Star Wars vibe we're used to.

Carmine Infantino is the artist for most of these and while he gets a lot of acclaim for doing "Batman" and "Flash", his Star Wars stuff is complete garbage. He draws Princess Leia like Angelina Jolie (obviously years before the latter came to notice), Chewbecca like a Planet of the Apes reject and all droids like tanks.

Tom Palmer comes onboard as an inker sometime in 1982 and it gives the book a much more polished feel. Around that point, it seems to really hit its stride, with a continuing "Search for Han Solo" storyline. The mood at this time is fairly dark, as the Rebels are incredibly unorganized and trying to hide. Before that, most of the stuff was random sci-fi junk that would've felt at home in any old Star Trek comic.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 16th, 2012, 8:56 pm #127

Avengers #31 (2012)
They finally bring up Wonder Man's attack on the team, as he runs into Captain America saying he'll earn his way back. Meanwhile, there's a former Avenger on the run in the Microverse, who sends a signal to the team.

Fairly obviously who it is... especially with the Microverse connection. I'll avoid the spoiler, since there's also a chance they're swerving us with the obvious nature. It could be someone as insignificant as the female Yellowjacket.

This Microverse looks more like the 70's Micronauts version than the Psycho-Man version. That's kind of exciting for me, as I'm already kinda' giddy about Bug teaming up with the Avengers in "Avengers Assemble". I doubt there will be any Acroyears, though. But it's nice to know that someone hasn't forgotten that the Micronauts were mainstream Marvel U for a good 10 years.

The appeal of potentially seeing them is usually all there is for me. I remember being fairly disappointed with "The Microns" when they appeared in the 1997 Alpha Flight series and then Captain Marvel, circa 2000.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 24th, 2012, 12:40 am #128

Uncanny Avengers #1
While Scarlet Witch and Rogue have issues, Captain America recruits Havok to be the face of a new Mutant/Hero team. Meanwhile, a big bad established bad guy claims to have the brain of Professor X and is having all kinds of creepy fun with it.

They're playing up the mutant paranoia, again. Now mutants looks like even bigger assholes, since they tried to save the world, then pulled the rug out from everyone. But again, how does Marvel Joe Public know the difference between a mutant and a regular ol' superhero?

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

October 28th, 2012, 10:13 pm #129

Uncanny Avengers #1,

literally... it took 1 issue of Marvel Now to show how much better thought out the Marvel Now reboot is than the New 52. I had to wait for my DCBS order to get here but I was so excited for this issue I had to resist the urge to go out and buy a copy to read right away. So with all that hype in my head... this was a really fucking good comic. I've been reading Marvel Comics for over 20 years and this was different in a good way. I loved the character interaction and I really dug where they were going with things at the end. Honestly, this book reminded me of why I visit the DCU and live in the MU.

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

October 28th, 2012, 10:15 pm #130

Erick Von Erich,Oct 23 2012 wrote: Uncanny Avengers #1
While Scarlet Witch and Rogue have issues, Captain America recruits Havok to be the face of a new Mutant/Hero team. Meanwhile, a big bad established bad guy claims to have the brain of Professor X and is having all kinds of creepy fun with it.

They're playing up the mutant paranoia, again. Now mutants looks like even bigger assholes, since they tried to save the world, then pulled the rug out from everyone. But again, how does Marvel Joe Public know the difference between a mutant and a regular ol' superhero?
I really liked Alex confronting Scott to start the issue. I thought that played out really well. I liked, also, how they didn't sugarcoat things at Xavier's funeral. Wolverine said his dream failed and they all failed him and walked away. I thought that was a really great moment.