Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 26th, 2012, 3:44 pm #111

Defenders #30
Looks like a filler issue or "the dreaded deadline doom". Nighthawk is kidnapped and held for a ransom by a villain named "Tapping Tommy", out at an old studio in Hollywood. The Defenders (Doc, Val and Hulk) arrive to save him, but not before they're forced to fight a buncha' robots to the tune of "We're in the Money".

Incredibly awful. "Tapping Tommy" is basically an evil Fred Astaire and it feels like something from a Scooby-Doo type of cartoon. Or, to be technical, the late 60's cartoon "The Impossibles". Next issue should bring back the normal creative team. This is one of those issues that you just write-off.

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

September 27th, 2012, 1:59 am #112

Swiggy will love this,

according to Teen Titans #0, young Tim Drake did not discover who Batman was. How's that for a kick in the balls.

The Swigg Lebowski
dWb Superstar

September 27th, 2012, 11:34 am #113

His parents are alive and in Witness Protection, he didn't discover who Batman was, and he was a gymnast with good grades.

They totally ruined the character. Not just him, but Batmans entire timeline, too
Scrooge McSuck wrote:I'm too hefty for my slacks. The zippers off it's tracks. I've stretched it to the maa-a-a-a-x.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 27th, 2012, 2:35 pm #114

Give it a year or two...until DC's Next Big Event-- DC #1/2! Next writer will want to change Tim Drake's background or tack-on something.

The Swigg Lebowski
dWb Superstar

September 27th, 2012, 9:28 pm #115

I really don't mind changing things, as long as its not retconning an entire persons life. In the case of Batman, they've totally butchered the timeline, as he's only been around 5 years, has had 3 Robins and Red Robin. I mean, really? This whole reboot has hurt them as much as its helped in that regard. Are we supposed to believe Earth has needed 5 Green Lanterns in 5 years, whereas other SECTORS of the galaxy only get 1?

I would've kept Dick as Batmab, though, and never went through with a reboot, so what do I know?
Scrooge McSuck wrote:I'm too hefty for my slacks. The zippers off it's tracks. I've stretched it to the maa-a-a-a-x.

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

September 27th, 2012, 9:38 pm #116

The 5 year thing was really stupid in regards to Batman. I think he needs to have been in action for at least a decade if you're going to keep the majority of his history in tact.

Batgirl's continuity is also a mess after the 0 issues too. She was in action for like a year, got paralyzed and ha been back for a few months I guess?

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 28th, 2012, 4:50 am #117

I've said it before, but DC nailed Batman's timeline in 1994 with "Zero Hour". He had been Batman for "10 years". Ask 'em in 1994 how long he'd been Batman: "10 years". Ask in 1998: "10 years".

Cataclysm and No Man's Land added about 1.5 years, though. But it worked. I think we figured it out a few years ago, that Batman had been doing his thing for about 12-14 years.

I agree that 5 years is way too short if they want to shoe-horn in all this backstory with multiple Robins and Batgirl. DC has proven that they can't write a complete story or fill in the gaps. They'll just throw out another big sweeping story to pacify fans. And they sure do LOVE creating multiple versions of characters and switching things up.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 2nd, 2012, 8:24 pm #118

Marvel Two-in-One #18
At an art-show, the Thing and Alicia run into "The Scarecrow", a hold-over from the Marvel Monster craze of the early 70's. He's actually part of a painting, which is a doorway to another dimension. Scarecrow's the guardian of the portal and, of course, demons try to enter through it.

Similar to the The Golem issue, where they're simply trying to tie-up loose ends from an old title, and possibly snag some new reader interest for Scarecrow. When the conflict's over, they leave Scarecrow's story open, but I don't think it was ever picked up. Note that this is a different "Scarecrow", as Marvel also had a villain with the same name running around.

The Thing's also back to being an asshole, as he complains about the art exhibit and denies that the Scarecrow's real. In a dated line, he complains that he's missing an episode of "Space: 1999" for the crummy art show. Jeez, ya' think maybe Reed Richards coulda' hooked Ben up with one of them new-fangled fancy-dan "VCR" or "VTR" thingies? Or even DVR well before its time.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 5th, 2012, 3:51 pm #119

Avengers vs X-men #12
Everyone continues beating on "Dark Cyclops", as he flies around the globe creating disasters. Kind of a neat segment where Nova flies in and tackles Cyclops. The Scarlet Witch and Hope confront Cyclops and pull the Phoenix out of him.

Hope then absorbs the Phoenix Force, and disperses it with the Witch's help, as they declare: "no more Phoenix". Which basically undoes the "No More Mutants" effect as thousands of mutants begin popping up, instantly.

The stuff with Iron Fist is tied in fairly well, too, as it's explained that only a true "yin yang" effect (Hope and Scarlet Witch) can deal with the Phoenix.

The fallout has Cyclops in a ruby-quartz prison-- think of Magneto's prison in the X-men movies. Captain America wants to work with mutants more directly with a new Avengers team (set-up for "Uncanny Avengers". On sale next week, kids). Thor invites Nova to join the Avengers... but wasn't he already in the fold via "Secret Avengers"?

Despite all the continuity mix-ups, I'd rate this about a "C+". The end result of integrating mutants with superheroes is long overdue. I've always stated that the X-men concept works well in a vacuum. It has always made no sense to me how the Marvel Public loves a guy like Johnny Storm (Human Torch), but "fears" a guy like Iceman. I like to bring up that Beast was a public heartthrob during his late 70's days as an Avenger. Same for the Angel.

To the average guy, how would they know the difference between a mutant and a superhero? I mean, Emma Frost? Hot blonde chick running around in a bedsheet is "feared"?!

The Swigg Lebowski
dWb Superstar

October 5th, 2012, 10:48 pm #120

1) My spell check fixes everything else I write, but doesn't change bule to blue?

2) I really liked the whole "No More Mutants" thing. It gave the X-Men characters a sort of driving motivation, as compared to the whole "everybody hates me" deal. I do like that they're integrating the Universe, though