Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

September 3rd, 2011, 12:18 am #91

That's how many Earth's there were after IC.

I read Justice League #1. It was a giant barrel of meh.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 6th, 2011, 3:45 pm #92

FF #8
The FF and the Inhumans' city of Attilan arrive at the High Evolutionary's Forever City for a big battle against the "Interdimensional Council of Reeds" (or whatever they're called). The last two issues dealt with some Kree/Inhumans stuff and seemed to set up Black Bolt as a ancient weapon; felt more like a follow-up from "War or Kings".

Big fight until the recruited supervillains (Mad Thinker, El Diablo, AIM and a few others) turn on Dr. Doom. Also, not to sound too juvenile, but for some reason Sue Storm just seems quite bangable in the new white/black FF uniforms.

I'm not wild on this "alternate Reeds" stuff, as it's not exactly engaging to a new reader to this title (like myself). I feel like I've missed quite a bit (and I have).

GI Joe #169 (IDW)
Self-indulgent stuff from Larry Hama as Snake-Eyes, Billy and Storm Shadow investigate a splinter dojo of the Arashikage clan in Brooklyn. They have the I Ching symbol and everything. After a friendly combat challenge, they welcome the 3 as "masters". Turns out, this is actually a Russian splinter group. Russian/Japanese ninjas? Certainly different, but at least Hama seems to be expanding his ninja stuff, instead of re-hashing it. Last time he added something new to this was with Firefly in 1992; which he claimed to have been saving since the mid-80's. This group seems entirely separate with no new "Masters" or guys connected to the famous "Arashikage Photo" from 1987 or so.

I'll admit that I thought the dojo they were investigating was actually the one opened by Ninja Force at the end of the Marvel series. I think that was in Harlem, so I'm curious if any of those guys will hop the bridge over to Brooklyn for this new arc. I don't want to see see them, so I'm perfectly fine if they're over in Harlem doing their thing and living happily ever after.

Also a cameo by Dr. Venom, as it appears even Dr. Mindbender wants nothing to do with him. They expand a little bit on the Sneak Peek subplot, as he was supposedly in Darklonia to keep tabs on the ruins of Castle Darklon. OK, but Sneak Peek "died" circa issue 120 and Castle Darklon was ruined circa issue 144... so there's a gap of about 25 issues there.

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

September 8th, 2011, 10:57 pm #93

Justice League International #1

I found this to be much more enjoyable than Justice League. I didn't read the fucking thing in 9 minutes. I like the idea that the U.N. decided to create their own supers team as a response to the Justice League. There's actually some decent action in here as well. My big issue with this title is that I don't see why they needed a new DCU to do this and it's not happening at the same time as Justice League. I also got Detective Comics and from what I hear it's in a different time period than the other two books I read. So three books, three different time frames in the new DCU. It's kind of ridiculous.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 13th, 2011, 4:02 pm #94

Three different time frames already? So much for simplification and accessibility.

Thunderbolts #163
The splinter team (bad guys) unexpectedly ends up in WWII-era Austria. They fight off some Nazis until they're joined by Captain American and Namor (calling themselves the Invaders, even though it's just the two of them). Moonstone, ever the opportunist and schemer, labels the team "The American Thunderbolts" as they join up with Cap and Namor.

To me, this is such a cool and unexpected twist. Glad I don't look at future solicitations, as I never would've expected the Invaders to show up. This book has improved, in my eyes, for the second or third consecutive issue. Even if this story seems like a knock-off of "Avengers/Invaders" (which I dug).

Oh, and Namor's wearing SHORTS. Not the usual speedo. Another plus.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 26th, 2011, 9:21 pm #95

Fear Itself #6
The good guys ramp up with all their resources to prepare for a final beatdown with The Serpent and his buddies. Captain America rallies the troops on Earth, while Iron Man emerges from Asgard's weapon foundries. In what seems like a waste of plot and space, Spider-Man locates Aunt May, who allows him to return to the fighting.

One element I like is how Iron Man and the Asgardians cooked up their own "Thor Hammer Uber-Weapons" to counteract those carried by the bad guys. A good way to pump up what would be an ordinary hero-vs-villain slugfest.

This series has just been kinda'....meh. The opening set-up was intriguing, but these middle issues haven't been anything extraordinary. It's more like a sequel to "SIEGE" and is pretty much a straightforward Good Guys vs Bad Guys fight. If it wasn't the Obligatory Company-Wide Crossover, this would be just another story in the Avengers titles.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 30th, 2011, 5:30 pm #96

Thunderbolts #163.1
Okay, WHY a "point one" issue? It's just another issue and is not the supposed "hook for new readers".

That aside, this is a good read if you're a Thunderbolts fan. Luke Cage's crew (Ghost, Songbird and MACH V) try to locate the missing, time-displaced, Bolts. Songbird ends up in a trance and re-lives the team's past, including the original team's scheme with Zemo. Plus, somebody else actually read the title between 2004-2007, as they bring up Songbird's brief romantic relationship with Zemo.

Really like how they're bringing back Zemo, as it has me excited. Something the previous two or three "eras" of this title didn't.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 3rd, 2011, 4:59 pm #97

New Avengers #16.1
Again, I don't get the "point one" significance. I guess it's something of a special issues, as Neal Adams does the pencils. Sorry, I'm not a fan of his... especially his faces.

Plot: Norman Osborn is freed from the Raft during a prisoner transfer. The Avengers foil the first attempt, but the second goes off as Osborn is taken away by a group consisting of HAMMER, AIM and (seemingly) Hydra. I like how he's now the Main Bad Guy of Marvel. Not just for Spider-Man, but across the board.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 4th, 2011, 5:14 am #98

Walked into a comic shop, today, and saw they had their new "DC #1's" bagged and boarded ... with a price tag of 9.95 to 19.95 each! Including an issue of Hawkman.

I thought: wait, these are those silly variant covers, right? Nope. Just the regular issues that were 2.99 last week.

Honestly, I remember seeing some "zero" issues from 1994 spiked high, temporarily. For some reason, Robin #0 was pretty hot for awhile in my 'hood. Now, they're... cover price if you're unlucky or about 25 cents to a buck if you're lucky. So I'm sure these "new 52" issues will be AT LEAST as valuable as those zero issues.

Turn around and say: 'these are the hottest comics in awhile and will only go up in value'. Which, to me, proves once again that comic fans are sheep and will buy anything with a "#1" on it. Hell, "Heroes Reborn" was hot for awhile.

These are not Action Comics #1. Not Fantastic Four #1. Not even Moon Knight #1.

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

October 4th, 2011, 5:12 pm #99

That Hawkman comic came out last week. They realize people can just go Online and buy it and read it right?

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 5th, 2011, 6:27 pm #100

On one side, I'll give them credit for trying to make the actual comic "collectible", but that price gouging is uncalled for. Even scarier, this comic shop was NOT a Mile High Comics ghetto.

Spider-Island: Avengers #1
The solicitation for this issue could read: "in the midst of the chaos of Spider-Island, a powered-up ULTIMATUM and Flag-Smasher assault the United Nations building. Only the Avengers and a surprise guest-star can stop them!"

Doesn't sound so bad, right? But this is supposed to be FUNNY... because it has Frog-Man. Nyuk, nyuk. Plus plenty of cheeky banter between the Avengers about how much "Spider-Man sucks". The day is saved when Frog-Man pukes on Flag-Smasher. Yes, that's it. One of the worst comics I've read in awhile.

I don't get the recent mini-trend about puking being funny. There was my complete bitch-rant about a recent issue of "Batman", but here it is in this comic. On top of that, I watched a recent episode of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" which featured Charlie puking all over someone as the pay-off gag.