Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 4th, 2011, 9:01 pm #81

captcomic83,Aug 4 2011 wrote: The Gwen Stacy clone DID show up in 'Maximum Clonage', as seen here:

Jeremy.
Umm...didn't I kinda' cite that in the Wiki quote?

I'm going to bring back my old self-indulgent, smarmy and egotistical "Comic Trivia" threads just for YOU.

The Swigg Lebowski
dWb Superstar

August 5th, 2011, 3:20 pm #82

We should pin this thread.

Anyway, I've been reading Mark Waid's 'Irredeemable' And I do believe he has blown my mind with it. Incredibly good read. It's a great idea of what would happen if Superman went ballistic. I've also read his other series (I can't remember the name of it for the life of me) set in the same universe. It really gives me some respect for Waid as a writer.
Scrooge McSuck wrote:I'm too hefty for my slacks. The zippers off it's tracks. I've stretched it to the maa-a-a-a-x.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 5th, 2011, 4:23 pm #83

Pinned. For you! Now give me a hug (sorry, it's those Corgis).

I think Mark Waid's okay and good for comics. He doesn't hit a homerun with everything, but I think he understands the overall feel of comics and the characterization of characters. I actually thought his few issues on "X-men" in the mid-90's were some of the more read-able issues of that era. Plus, "Kingdom Come" which was sort of a middle finger to early 90's comics.

So, I've been donating some of my "overstock comics" to the local DAV; along with the usual old t-shirts, curtains and other shit. I tossed out a buncha' crap from Neal Adams' "Continuity Comics". I always thought it was funny that even though their name was "Continuity", they had an incredibly lazy and inconsistent schedule. Something like 8 issues... published over the course of 4 years.

They may be some of the worst comics I've ever read. Awful writing, full of unnecessary violence and the dialogue is quite bad. In an issue of "Zero Patrol", one panel has a spaceship crashing into an alien and a character yelling: "Yeah! You ripped that thing's ass right off!!" On the very next page is a subscription ad for Continuity, aimed at kids, saying stuff like: "shouldn't your kids be reading Continuity Comics?!" Hilarious.

Some of the titles I threw out were:
-Megalith: their supposed flagship character, who's basically an immature Superman in a tight t-shirt.

-Armor and Silver Streak: two brothers; one has a buncha' medieval "armor", hence the name. While Silver Streak is a basic early 80's JLA leftover. Has goggles and he...umm.. shoots stuff. I guess. They fly around space for whatever reason.

-Revengers: All three of the above losers...as a TEAM! Gee, I wonder where their team name came from?

-Ms. Mystic: an environmentalist sorceror chick, with antennae, long white hair and a gray body stocking. Very discombobulated stories.

-Zero Patrol: sort of like the Fantastic Four... if they didn't have powers. Five losers fly around space; including two hot chicks and a guy with Reed Richards' hair. Reads like a bad knock-off of 1970's Star Trek comics (which were bad to begin with). In one issue, the brunette hot chick gets captured by some random bad guys... but her shirt falls open and she walks around the rest of the story with her juggs hanging out. It's obvious that she's supposed to exposed, but it seems like an editorial touch-up job went and colored over the nip-shots.

Bad, bad stuff all around. I felt bad giving these away. Someone at the DAV store will see "Comics" and bring them home for their kid... then the kid will never read comics again after flipping through this junk. I know there's some fandom around the Internets for these rags (Neal Adams junkies, mostly), but they are terrible.

captcomic83
Friend of Pete Doherty
captcomic83
Friend of Pete Doherty

August 5th, 2011, 10:03 pm #84

Erick Von Erich,Aug 5 2011 wrote: Pinned. For you! Now give me a hug (sorry, it's those Corgis).

I think Mark Waid's okay and good for comics. He doesn't hit a homerun with everything, but I think he understands the overall feel of comics and the characterization of characters. I actually thought his few issues on "X-men" in the mid-90's were some of the more read-able issues of that era. Plus, "Kingdom Come" which was sort of a middle finger to early 90's comics.

So, I've been donating some of my "overstock comics" to the local DAV; along with the usual old t-shirts, curtains and other shit. I tossed out a buncha' crap from Neal Adams' "Continuity Comics". I always thought it was funny that even though their name was "Continuity", they had an incredibly lazy and inconsistent schedule. Something like 8 issues... published over the course of 4 years.

They may be some of the worst comics I've ever read. Awful writing, full of unnecessary violence and the dialogue is quite bad. In an issue of "Zero Patrol", one panel has a spaceship crashing into an alien and a character yelling: "Yeah! You ripped that thing's ass right off!!" On the very next page is a subscription ad for Continuity, aimed at kids, saying stuff like: "shouldn't your kids be reading Continuity Comics?!" Hilarious.

Some of the titles I threw out were:
-Megalith: their supposed flagship character, who's basically an immature Superman in a tight t-shirt.

-Armor and Silver Streak: two brothers; one has a buncha' medieval "armor", hence the name. While Silver Streak is a basic early 80's JLA leftover. Has goggles and he...umm.. shoots stuff. I guess. They fly around space for whatever reason.

-Revengers: All three of the above losers...as a TEAM! Gee, I wonder where their team name came from?

-Ms. Mystic: an environmentalist sorceror chick, with antennae, long white hair and a gray body stocking. Very discombobulated stories.

-Zero Patrol: sort of like the Fantastic Four... if they didn't have powers. Five losers fly around space; including two hot chicks and a guy with Reed Richards' hair. Reads like a bad knock-off of 1970's Star Trek comics (which were bad to begin with). In one issue, the brunette hot chick gets captured by some random bad guys... but her shirt falls open and she walks around the rest of the story with her juggs hanging out. It's obvious that she's supposed to exposed, but it seems like an editorial touch-up job went and colored over the nip-shots.

Bad, bad stuff all around. I felt bad giving these away. Someone at the DAV store will see "Comics" and bring them home for their kid... then the kid will never read comics again after flipping through this junk. I know there's some fandom around the Internets for these rags (Neal Adams junkies, mostly), but they are terrible.
What is a DAV store anyway?

J.A.P.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 5th, 2011, 10:20 pm #85

DAV stands for "Disco Adventure Vacations", but they rarely use that full title. They're usually located in the larger US cities. They're known for selling vintage 70's stuff at their retail stores, including lots of comics. Definitely a place you should visit!

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 12th, 2011, 6:20 pm #86

Marvel Comics Presents #45
More from my "Crap I Gotta' Get Rid of" pile, from early 1990. Four stories, including:

-8th part of Wolverine meeting a blobb-ish schizophrenic Asian mutant named "White Shadow/Black Shadow". Wolvie appears to have greater strength than usual in this one.

-Final part of a Wonder Man arc, where he was mind-controlled by Enchantress (and apparently got quite a bit of Enchantress booty along the way. Not a bad deal). He ascends to "god-like nature", which clears his mind and returns him to normal.

-Shooting Star, she of the Rangers, in an awful story where she fights "BlackBilly", a rootin' tootin' gun-slinger desperado who kidnaps a schoolbus of kids! Gasp!

But here's the REAL reason to check this book out: it features the Incredible Hulk, in his Mr. Fixit days, getting pissed off about a certain professional wrestler named "The Hulk". Fixit jumps in the ring one night and proceeds to beat the tar out of The Hulk. The only thing missing is the name "Hogan", as the character is drawn to look exactly like the Hulkster, with orange trunks, a headband and everything (yet with a full head of long blond hair). It's not a funny story in terms of action or dialog, but the overall concept is hilarious, as the two "Hulks" finally face off.

I NEED to get some pictures from this thing, as I think you guys would get a kick out of it.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 15th, 2011, 8:29 pm #87

Fear Itself #5
As expected, it's an all-out BRAWL...and that's even the name of this story. Thor manages to beat the Thing when Mjolnir goes flying through the Thing's chest. Thor then sends the Hulk into orbit. The fight didn't really have the "awe-inspiring" antics they were hoping for, but it served its purpose.

What torqued me off was how the Thing is suddenly restored to normal. Franklin Richards finds him unconscious, then uses his Amazing Do Anything Uber Powers to restore "Unca' Ben". Really? I found that to be a letdown. Hell, just get Franklin on the front lines and this endless battle is over.

Other points include Capt. America admitting "we're going to lose" and letting Spider-Man go home to his friends and family. Plus Tony Stark and Odin seem to have made an agreement.

Batman & Robin #26
Yay! I think this is my last issue! Guest stars "Nightrunner", a European Batman and a buncha' worthless Euro-villains. I'm pretty sure the villains were amde just for this story. They're more "ultra WEIRD concepts" that would make Grant Morrison proud.

Once again, since this is set in Europe, the story makes an attempt to be INTELLECTUAL by trying to center things around the art movements DaDa and Surrealism. Trouble is, while one sprang out of the other, they were two SEPARATE movements and the writer tries to use them interchangeably. If I was a junior in high school, I'd feel enlightened and mature by reading this story. But as an adult, I read it and think it's annoying.

New Avengers #15
Focusses on Squirrel Girl; the nanny of Jessica Jones and Luke Cage; and how she deals with the whole "Fear Itself" Serpent/Nazi invasion. In a lighter moment, the story begins with Wolverine and Iron Fist sparring. Squirrel Girl gets invited to spar with Wolverine and goes to town on him. Worth noting, because Wolvie's a light-hearted and humorous guy, here. He used to be written like that a lot, until they decided to make him this "modern samurai" of sorts, circa 1984 (probably due to his original mini-series by Frank Miller).

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 22nd, 2011, 4:49 pm #88

Amazing Spider-Man #667
"Spider Island" officially starts as a good chunk of Manhattan's populace wakes up with Spider-powers. Including Carlie Cooper, Peter Parker's current girlfriend. She reveals it to Peter, early on, and wants to go into battle as "Spider-Cop".

Jackal now has Tarantula and Spider-King (new name for By Gawd, KAINE) as 8-limbed monster enforcers. I'm guessing it's the original Tarantula, who was mutated sometime in the early 90's.. but I thought he was killed around the same time. Whatever, there have been so many different Tarantulas since then, that I have no idea (nor concern).

Jackal's also been trying to organize all the small-time thugs who now have powers. They all have different versions of Spider-Man's costume; everything from Scarlet Spider to FF Spidey outfits. The Avengers, Madame Web and Shang-Chi are also on hand to beat up the bad Spideys.

I'm still predicting that a "Gwen Stacy" is Jackal's boss and that the story will end with Spidey regaining his Spider Sense.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 1st, 2011, 6:18 pm #89

Thunderbolts #162
While the team fights little Fear Itself monsters in Chicago, Fixer takes a chance to break off from the team. He recruits Boomerang, Centurius, Shocker, Mr. Hyde, Moonstone and (possibly) Satana to run off in their own little team. THey abandon the other guys-- Mach-V, Songbird, Ghost and Gunna/Troll.

Meanwhile, Man-Thing absorbs all the Fear Monsters and grows to enormous proportions. All this some they can work in dialogue about "A Giant-Size Man-Thing".

This little monsters remind me of something... probably from a cartoon.. but I can't put my finger on it. They're basically pitch-black little mouths. Really just a buncha' fighting in this story, but the team split has the emphasis. I'd be concerned about the team re-shuffling yet again, but that seems to the norm in this title anymore. Luke Cage appears to be history and it seems like Man-Thing might pop away.

Also appears that Fixer is still working with Baron Zemo. That'd be nice, since Zemo carried this book, originally. When the book was relaunched with Luke Cage awhile back, they teased a Zemo appearance, but it was complete BS. If Zemo's back, then this book would slowly rise up my little list. Right now, it's barely above the "Batman" titles in terms of my personal enjoyment. With the recent emphasis on Songbird, Mach-V, Moonstone, Fixer and possibly Zemo, it seems like an original 'Bolts reunion might be in the works (I forget what Atlas/Erik Josten/Goliath is up to and I think Jolt could easily appear out of the blue).

The Swigg Lebowski
dWb Superstar

September 2nd, 2011, 10:33 pm #90

What is DCs obsession with the #52?
Scrooge McSuck wrote:I'm too hefty for my slacks. The zippers off it's tracks. I've stretched it to the maa-a-a-a-x.