The Swigg Lebowski
dWb Superstar

December 3rd, 2011, 2:50 pm #111

They seem fond of the Deus Ex Machina with Spidey ever since "One More Day.". I really don't like it, and it's made the title hard for me to read
Scrooge McSuck wrote:I'm too hefty for my slacks. The zippers off it's tracks. I've stretched it to the maa-a-a-a-x.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

December 6th, 2011, 11:53 pm #112

Yeah, I think I'm letting my Spidey subscription expire after my last two issues are up.

FF #12
Well, here's something: this is now all about the KIDS of the FF, as "Fantastic Four" has started up again with issue #600. So Reed, Sue, Ben and Spidey are now over in THAT title. I missed that tidbit, so the story I had been following has suddenly skipped over and/or disappeared.

Anyways, the kids "translocate" the top three floors of the Baxter Building to Latveria. There, they run into Dr. Doom, Kristoff, Nathaniel Richards and Other Reed. Valeria Richards cooks up a big portal to send Other Reed back home.

Nice, stylized artwork from a guy I'm unfamiliar with. I might've been okay with this story if I had picked up #600, but I'm feeling a little left-out. I really, REALLY hate little kids in comic books (and I find Franklin Richards to be one of the most annoying Marvel characters ever created), so if that's the focus of this book going forward, I will probably drop it (or at least jump over to "Fantastic Four").

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

December 7th, 2011, 5:04 pm #113

Thunderbolts #166
The team is now stuck in London in 1888, during the height of the "Jack the Ripper" murders. They've been there for about a month, as Mr. Hyde has disappeared and run off to seemingly perform the actual ripper murders. Satana's been helping him out, as well.

With their time-traveling tower and now in London, I'm getting sort of a "Dr. Who" vibe from the Thunderbolts. As long as they don't end up in "alternate universes" and do the Exiles schtick. Back in the present day, Luke Cage, Songbird, Mach-5 and Valkyrie have been trying to bring them back by tracking Gunna's Asgardian axe. So I don't think this time-hopping thing will run more than 6 issues or so. Regardless, it's fun and has made the book much more enjoyable. A huge step up from the "Strikeforce: Supervillains" vibe that it had been on.

BTW, what happened to Shocker?

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

December 7th, 2011, 5:46 pm #114

Avengers #19
Cap officially unveils a new team. Iron Man jumps in by alerting the press for the tradition TV coverage. As the new team is introduced at the press conference, Norman Osborn steps out of the crowd to confront them.

Love how the Osborn/HAMMER stuff is now on the front burner.

The big news in this issue is the new line-up, which was inspired when Cap looked at an old picture of the team, circa issue 65 (vol. 1). His results:

-Captain America
-Hawkeye (in his new mask-less costume. Probably a tie-in to 2012's movie)
-The Vision (rebuilt by Tony Stark. So whattabout that "Young Avengers" Vision?)
-Daisy Johnson/Quake
-Iron Man
-Red Hulk
-Protector
-Spider-Woman
-STORM

Storm is a very interesting pick. Cap went to the Black Panther, but he declined and recommended his wife to give the team "more firepower".

Basically, they've trimmed out the cross-team members (specifically Wolverine, Spider-Man and to a lesser extent Hawkeye). The New Avengers were left alone, as we now have two very distinct teams.

New Avengers (Cage's team)
-Luke Cage
-Jessica Jones
-Spider-Man
-Wolverine
-The Thing
-Iron Fist
-Ms. Marvel
-Mockingbird
-Dr. Strange
-Daredevil

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

December 14th, 2011, 7:15 pm #115

Fantastic Four #600
The FF team up with most of the Marvel NYC heroes to fight off a Kree Invasion.The resurrected Supreme Intelligence feels that the entire planet is a threat, due to all the Reed stuff, time displacement, Inhumans and other junk.

Meanwhile, a Negative Zone cult has been receiving messages from Annihilus to open a portal to Earth. They do...but what pops out is Johnny Storm, in command of a Control Rod and with Annihilus on a leash.

Back-up story entitled "Whatever Happened to Johnny Storm" tells us just that. He fought off the Annihilation Wave, went nova several times and died. Annihilus then revived him with ...worms. Ick. He's died several times since then, but the worms keep reviving him. He's forced to be a gladiator of sorts in Annihilus' games and meets up with a crew of aliens. Each alien is an identical race to the "Brides of Black Bolt", so there has to be a connection there.

Anyways, Johnny finally stole the control rod from Annihilus, which brings us right up to the first story, above.

Plus, more back-up stories involving Black Bolt and Medusa, Galactus and (groan) Franklin Richards. Each hints at future sub-plots. Including the Franklin story, as he's being led along by some unseen entity (with facial hair). I'll give Marvel credit for actually producing 100 pages of NEW content. I was expecting back-up stories reprinting "classic FF stories" or some shit. Very glad there's basically no filler in this issue.

So "Fantastic Four" resumes its original numbering and is continuing on. There's that pesky question of what to do about "Fantastic Four #589-599", as the title ended at 588 when Johnny "died". If the issues of "FF" count, then how do you explain that title splintering off at #12. Where are its first 11 issues? Seems especially confusing to have two titles share common numbering.

I suspected Marvel might release some "retro" issues (#589 to 599) to fill-in-the-blanks between 588 and 600, but the "Whatever Happened to Johnny Storm" story kinda' handled that task.

I'm also curious how Marvel will handle fallout from their subscribers. For the past year, they've been offering a "Spider-Team" deal, where you can subscribe to "Amazing Spider-Man" AND "FF". Now that FF is all about the kids and no Spidey, will subscribers be pissed? Are those subscriptions being transferred over to "Fantastic Four"?

Most importantly, will Spider-Man even BE on the team, now that Johnny's back?

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

January 1st, 2012, 5:07 pm #116

I went and bought a shit ton of the X-Men Regenesis stuff. It's all been excellent so far. I'm really liking the new direction they're taking with the books.