January 11th, 2016, 10:32 pm #21

Yeah! It's a pretty new development. haha
Today was my first day solo teaching and it was actually super easy as far as teaching goes.

Are you eligible for/interested in JET or something similar, or are you going to look for employment independently?
[Wisconsin, USA]
-> [Paraguay - AFS semester]
<- [Japan - AFS host sister]
-> [Turkey - NSLI summer]
-> [Mexico - uni semester]

ume

January 12th, 2016, 4:14 am #22

i'm looking for employment independently, partially because i'm not counting on the kind of degree i'm getting (not exactly a great school) to make me stand out, and also because JET and being an ALT in general seems like more of a commitment, whereas working at an eikaiwa/english conversation school would make me feel less pressured to stay if it didn't work out for whatever reason.

i've been thinking of going to language school as well, to increase my chances of finding a job outside of teaching in the future, as i'm pretty certain there's no way i'd ever pass the jlpt n1 without at least a couple dedicated years of study, but it's sooo expensive. being on a student visa would also allow me to work part-time jobs that i wouldn't be able to work on a humanities/instructor visa, so that would also be a plus.

January 15th, 2016, 3:43 pm #23

I wish I could just start the new job already. All this pre-employment stuff is annoying.