November 10th, 2015, 10:55 pm #101

Our heater isn't heating, so that's fun.
-> Kuwana, Japan - YFU JUSSE scholarship, summer 2004
-> Izmir, Turkey - work abroad, summer 2007
YFU volunteer area representative since 2009

November 11th, 2015, 4:08 am #102

Better now than in a few months (or even weeks) I guess?
[Wisconsin, USA]
-> [Paraguay - AFS semester]
<- [Japan - AFS host sister]
-> [Turkey - NSLI summer]
-> [Mexico - uni semester]

November 11th, 2015, 11:40 am #103

Matsunoki wrote:OMG I spent part of the afternoon raking leaves because our tree in front is dropping them like crazy and one of my lines of piles has already blown all over the yard again. Just one though. Not one of the two running along the street (for the vacuum truck that won't come for at least another week, but I can't leave all these leaves covering the grass completely that long) or the one on the west side of our driveway (because I didn't have the energy to move it to the street). No, just the one on the east side of the driveway, so it all blew onto the space between our driveway and the neighbor's. See, that neighbor mows that entire space all the time because he's picky about his yard, which also means he does it wayyy more than my husband, but he always says it's no problem. I tried and kept failing to pay back the favor by shoveling his sidewalks last winter but he'd have it all perfect by like 6 am so I was like "yay I can get these leaves for him!" and hours later, it's even worse than before. Effffff.

Oh, and we're one of only a few houses in our neighborhood with this particular tree and it's the first to drop leaves so ALL the yards around ours look perfectly normal so ours looks even worse in comparison.
Mow them into submission.
Ann, AFS Host Mom, Sending Mom, Volunteer
My Kids, , , , , , ,
, , , , , , ->
->

November 11th, 2015, 5:15 pm #104

mburucuja wrote:Better now than in a few months (or even weeks) I guess?
True. It did get into the mid-30s last night and the thermostat is currently at 62 (it's in a usually warmer room though). I got out our space heater and it said it was 59 in our living room The high today is 65 with a low tonight of 44 so hopefully it won't be *as* bad soon. The repairman should be here tomorrow. They could've come yesterday but we're on a contract that includes heater and a/c tune-ups and I'd rather wait since it's not too bad so they can do the tune-up and repair in one go. Yesterday they could've only done the repair and it might've made it cost more.
weblet wrote:
Matsunoki wrote:OMG I spent part of the afternoon raking leaves because our tree in front is dropping them like crazy and one of my lines of piles has already blown all over the yard again. Just one though. Not one of the two running along the street (for the vacuum truck that won't come for at least another week, but I can't leave all these leaves covering the grass completely that long) or the one on the west side of our driveway (because I didn't have the energy to move it to the street). No, just the one on the east side of the driveway, so it all blew onto the space between our driveway and the neighbor's. See, that neighbor mows that entire space all the time because he's picky about his yard, which also means he does it wayyy more than my husband, but he always says it's no problem. I tried and kept failing to pay back the favor by shoveling his sidewalks last winter but he'd have it all perfect by like 6 am so I was like "yay I can get these leaves for him!" and hours later, it's even worse than before. Effffff.

Oh, and we're one of only a few houses in our neighborhood with this particular tree and it's the first to drop leaves so ALL the yards around ours look perfectly normal so ours looks even worse in comparison.
Mow them into submission.
Good idea. I might try that next year. The front yard seems to be done for the fall and now it's the trees in the backyard that are dropping a sea of leaves but they're way too deep to run a mower through. At least they're out of sight!

March 17th, 2016, 6:57 pm #105

I finally had a plumber out to unclog our guest room shower and do our preventative sewer cleanout. Much to my relief, the cost wasn't bad at all (about half of what I was expecting) and he even cleaned up the bathtub that had all kinds of mess in it from us having to empty a kitchen sink/garbage disposal mishap into it.

Now if only I could hear from the various people involved in our mini reno of that bathroom (new vanity that has to be special ordered + flooring). I probably won't be so lucky on pricing for that