Introductions Thread

January 19th, 2015, 1:33 am #1

Hi everyone! I'm Matsunoki, previously known as TheEar. I'm also a mod here. I was a YFU student to Japan in the summer of 2004 on the JUSSE scholarship. In 2007, after my sophomore year of college, I spent a summer working in Izmir, Turkey. I started volunteering with YFU in 2006 doing random tasks for my field director by email and in 2009 started as an area rep. It's all been great!

I'm really looking forward to connecting with new and old CSers here :-)
-> Kuwana, Japan - YFU JUSSE scholarship, summer 2004
-> Izmir, Turkey - work abroad, summer 2007
YFU volunteer area representative since 2009

January 19th, 2015, 2:03 am #2

Hey guys!
I'm nostos. I'm Canadian, but I've been a lot of other places too.
I went to Japan in 2008 with ASSE. I was meant to stay a year (2008-2009), but I left early after 6 months.
But, I decided to give Japan another shot, so now I'm living here while teaching on the JET Program. I'm on contract for 2014-2015, and signing on to stay another year.
I also hosted two students in 2008-2009 - a high schooler from Japan and a university student from France.
Canada -> Japan, 2008 (ASSE)
Canada -> Japan, 2014-2016 (JET)

January 19th, 2015, 2:14 am #3

Hello, hello!
I suppose I'll just pop in here. For reference, I have no idea what I'm doing because I have no real experience using forums. Or should I say posting on them, because I'm usually just a forum ghost.

Anyway, my name is Kenzie and I am exchange hopeful for the year of 2016. I hope to study abroad with ASSE International, despite the bit of bad reputation the US has had in the past with inbound students. My choices were slimmed down to Greenheart Travel and ASSE, and seeing as they both had the same Japanese partner, I'm choosing to go with ASSE. I would have loved to go with a more reputable program, but I'm an old fart now, and no one wants me except for those two I mentioned above. (17 y.o.)

Anyhow, nice to meet everyone.

January 19th, 2015, 2:56 am #4

Hey, I'm mburucuja. I'm from the US. I exchanged to Paraguay (semester with AFS) and did a NSLI-Y summer program in Turkey. My family also hosted a Japanese student with AFS. I spent a semester of college in Mexico, and returned to Paraguay twice in college for research and an internship.
[Wisconsin, USA]
-> [Paraguay - AFS semester]
<- [Japan - AFS host sister]
-> [Turkey - NSLI summer]
-> [Mexico - uni semester]

January 20th, 2015, 12:21 am #5

Hey everyone!

I'm azafrán (Spanish/almost Arabic for saffron), I was Izzy on the old boards. I exchanged to Spain (semester with CIEE) and went to Oman last summer with NSLI-Y. I'm also currently in training to be an Amigos de las Américas volunteer next summer, most likely in Ecuador, possibly in Panama. I'm also planning on applying to NSLI-Y again next year for a gap year, probably in Morocco.
Spain, Semester '13-'14
Oman, Summer '14
Ecuador, Summer '15
Morocco, Year '16-'17

January 20th, 2015, 11:55 pm #6

GoKenz wrote:Hello, hello!
I suppose I'll just pop in here. For reference, I have no idea what I'm doing because I have no real experience using forums. Or should I say posting on them, because I'm usually just a forum ghost.

Anyway, my name is Kenzie and I am exchange hopeful for the year of 2016. I hope to study abroad with ASSE International, despite the bit of bad reputation the US has had in the past with inbound students. My choices were slimmed down to Greenheart Travel and ASSE, and seeing as they both had the same Japanese partner, I'm choosing to go with ASSE. I would have loved to go with a more reputable program, but I'm an old fart now, and no one wants me except for those two I mentioned above. (17 y.o.)

Anyhow, nice to meet everyone.
azafran wrote:Hey everyone!

I'm azafrán (Spanish/almost Arabic for saffron), I was Izzy on the old boards. I exchanged to Spain (semester with CIEE) and went to Oman last summer with NSLI-Y. I'm also currently in training to be an Amigos de las Américas volunteer next summer, most likely in Ecuador, possibly in Panama. I'm also planning on applying to NSLI-Y again next year for a gap year, probably in Morocco.
Welcome (and welcome back) to the board! Feel free to start threads for your programs, countries and whatever else you'd like
-> Kuwana, Japan - YFU JUSSE scholarship, summer 2004
-> Izmir, Turkey - work abroad, summer 2007
YFU volunteer area representative since 2009

January 21st, 2015, 12:52 am #7

Hello. I'm Nicole formerly run4theworld. I'm originally from Northern California. I exchanged with YFU as a gap year student to Denmark in 2003-2004. I lived 6 years in Michigan and after getting my bachelors degree in English I served as a volunteer teacher in SE Asia. Currently I live in Tennessee where I'm obtaining my teacher's certification for grades 6-12.
--> YFU Gap year 03/04
--> Volunteer Teacher 11/12

Traveled to:

January 21st, 2015, 9:34 pm #8

Hi! I'm Trisha, and I have the same username from last time. I first knew that I wanted to be an exchange student almost 6 years ago (wow), and I'm currently in Germany for 2014-2015 under CBYX (ASSE).
---
Cambridge, UK -- '13 Oxbridge Academic Programs
Aachen, Germany -- '14-'15 CBYX/ASSE
blog . youtube

January 22nd, 2015, 12:54 am #9

Hey guys! I'm Patty and I'm applying to RYE for the 2015-2016 school year. Looking to go to Belgium, Denmark, Germany, or Finland. I guess I'm not really an official outbound yet since my application hasn't been submitted, but I already had my district interview. I just have to wait for the district to find a club to sponsor me.

Not nearly as long as Trisha, but I'd say I've been wanting to go on an exchange year for at least two years.

January 22nd, 2015, 1:56 am #10

Hi! I am Aimee, mom to Katherine, who I keep trying to get to come on here. We are in NC and just found out in December that she will be going to Croatia! It was her first choice so she is very excited!
Mom to Rotary Outbound NC, USA to Croatia 2015-2016
Katherine's Blog