Food Thread

January 11th, 2015, 7:28 pm #1

Because we love our food, but may or may not like actually making it.

I'll start. AJ and I have been crazy busy so I'm pretty much not cooking until robotics build season is over. I want to try to fit in making an Indian Slow Cooker dish but don't know when that'll actually happen. It doesn't help that this weather makes grocery runs incredibly undesirable.
-> Kuwana, Japan - YFU JUSSE scholarship, summer 2004
-> Izmir, Turkey - work abroad, summer 2007
YFU volunteer area representative since 2009

January 25th, 2015, 10:28 pm #2

I got a new wok a few weeks ago. I want to try to make fried rice. It can't be that hard to make, right?
--> YFU Gap year 03/04
--> Volunteer Teacher 11/12

Traveled to:

January 25th, 2015, 11:51 pm #3

NicoleH wrote:I got a new wok a few weeks ago. I want to try to make fried rice. It can't be that hard to make, right?
I think it's supposed to be easy. My impression is that things like that and stir fries are supposed to be easy but I'm totally intimidated by them. *sigh* My mom gave me a wok years ago and I'm too intimidated to try it. I'm so uncomfortable in the kitchen, it's awful. This is how I prefer to cook ("cook"): http://www.indianasapplepie.com/blogs/i ... -yumminess

January 26th, 2015, 10:50 pm #4

I used a wok on a daily basis when I was in Southeast Asia, so I have practice. I even made pasta sauce in a wok several times.
--> YFU Gap year 03/04

Traveled to:

January 28th, 2015, 10:17 pm #5

That's awesome Nicole! I might have to make myself try ours out sometime.

I made the chana masala from the link above today. It smells SO good! Here it is before I added water:
[+] spoiler
We won't have it tonight because we get dinner provided by the robotics team Wednesday nights but it should make 3 meals for us to have other nights, possibly with another serving one of us can have when the other's set for dinner already

January 29th, 2015, 5:12 am #6

I just went to a museum that had an exhibit on Indian-Americans and they featured Anupy Singla and her Indian crockpot recipes! Have you tried other recipes by her? I've never tried to cook Indian food before; does she make it easy? haha

January 29th, 2015, 7:48 pm #7

cerejeira wrote:I just went to a museum that had an exhibit on Indian-Americans and they featured Anupy Singla and her Indian crockpot recipes! Have you tried other recipes by her? I've never tried to cook Indian food before; does she make it easy? haha
I've only made her slow cooker recipes and those at least are SO easy. My favorites generally involve putting together some combination of lentils, chickpeas, beans, and veggies and spices and running the slow cooker and then for some adding cilantro (for which I used freeze-dried for convenience). And if you get your ingredients from an Indian grocer it's very, very cheap. I have her latest cookbook too and those look relatively easy (saute spices and garlic, etc., add more things) but I'm lazy and am more than happy with the slow cooker meals I've made. If you decide to try them I can share my other shortcuts and tips

February 1st, 2015, 4:31 am #8

I've generally had success cooking tasty meals for myself over the last few months. My main meal usually contains of a meat, legume, and vegetable portion. This week however my lentils and veggies weren't so great. I bought frozen okra on a whim to try and mixed it with spinach and garlic. The sliminess just didn't do it for me. I don't really know what wrong with my beans, just not feeling it. Luckily the local Whole Foods offers some affordable lentil varieties that I haven't tried, so maybe I'll switch to them for a while.

February 6th, 2015, 11:27 pm #9

I made corn bread and chili from scratch today. So delicious and actually easy to make
--> YFU Gap year 03/04

Traveled to:

February 20th, 2015, 11:38 pm #10

I want to bake something this weekend, preferably involving chocolate. What should I make?
[Wisconsin, USA]
-> [Paraguay - AFS semester]
<- [Japan - AFS host sister]
-> [Turkey - NSLI summer]
-> [Mexico - uni semester]