Domestic Accomplishments

January 22nd, 2015, 8:28 pm #1

This afternoon I:

- set up a painting estimate for Monday
- emptied a few more boxes from the move and organized their contents
- moved trash from cleaning out of the basement that was embarrassingly overdue for getting thrown out (and made a mess in the process and had to clean that )
- added a few more old items to the trash and a Goodwill bag
- flattened boxes from the move (and will offer them to friends)
-> Kuwana, Japan - YFU JUSSE scholarship, summer 2004
-> Izmir, Turkey - work abroad, summer 2007
YFU volunteer area representative since 2009

January 26th, 2015, 8:57 pm #2

Ugh that painting estimate was horribly high. I sucked it up and paid $3.75 for a month of Angie's List because it's seriously the only place with reviews of painters around here and found two to leave messages with and there are others I can call up too. I could do the doors and trim if I absolutely had to but the walls in the two main rooms being addressed are messes that I definitely can't fix up myself.

January 28th, 2015, 11:48 am #3

Painting isn't cheap. But it's not that difficult to do yourself either. I hate to do ceilings. The rest is just time-consuming and tedious (trim). What's wrong with the walls?
Ann, AFS Host Mom, Sending Mom, Volunteer
My Kids, , , , , , ,
, , , , , , ->
->

January 28th, 2015, 3:40 pm #4

weblet wrote:Painting isn't cheap. But it's not that difficult to do yourself either. I hate to do ceilings. The rest is just time-consuming and tedious (trim). What's wrong with the walls?
The old owners who did work on the walls were putting up wallpaper right away so they weren't careful about, well, anything so there are lots of uneven spots and drips. There's also a hole in the bathroom where the old owner punched through the wall (it cracks me up because it's obvious he was sitting on the toilet when he did it). Here are a few pics:
[+] spoiler

I have a few acquaintances (connections through volunteering at Habitat for Humanity) who may be able to help get the walls into better shape and from there I'd be willing to try painting myself if I still couldn't get a reasonable quote. I'd still rather just have it done in a day or two even if it costs some money, especially since the master bath has high ceilings and both that room and the kitchen have lots of corners and just plain difficult spots to work around. The rest of the bedrooms and the living room (that didn't have wallpaper) are straightforward enough so I'll do them on my own eventually.

I'm getting a second estimate this afternoon so hopefully it works out better.

January 29th, 2015, 12:08 pm #5

Matsunoki wrote:
weblet wrote:Painting isn't cheap. But it's not that difficult to do yourself either. I hate to do ceilings. The rest is just time-consuming and tedious (trim). What's wrong with the walls?
The old owners who did work on the walls were putting up wallpaper right away so they weren't careful about, well, anything so there are lots of uneven spots and drips. There's also a hole in the bathroom where the old owner punched through the wall (it cracks me up because it's obvious he was sitting on the toilet when he did it). Here are a few pics:

I have a few acquaintances (connections through volunteering at Habitat for Humanity) who may be able to help get the walls into better shape and from there I'd be willing to try painting myself if I still couldn't get a reasonable quote. I'd still rather just have it done in a day or two even if it costs some money, especially since the master bath has high ceilings and both that room and the kitchen have lots of corners and just plain difficult spots to work around. The rest of the bedrooms and the living room (that didn't have wallpaper) are straightforward enough so I'll do them on my own eventually.

Yeah, a bit of spackle and sanding necessary there... done that and I'd pay to not have to do it again too! The dining room walls in my last house looked similar after I took down the textured wallpaper. Nasty job. The walls look like they are plaster too?

If you have friends that will help, great! I always bribed friends to help paint and move with pizza and beer - just make sure that is after the job is done
My Kids, , , , , , ,
, , , , , , ->
->

January 29th, 2015, 7:41 pm #6

weblet wrote:
Matsunoki wrote:

Yeah, a bit of spackle and sanding necessary there... done that and I'd pay to not have to do it again too! The dining room walls in my last house looked similar after I took down the textured wallpaper. Nasty job. The walls look like they are plaster too?

If you have friends that will help, great! I always bribed friends to help paint and move with pizza and beer - just make sure that is after the job is done
The walls in the master bathroom are all drywall and the kitchen's either all drywall or a mix of that and plaster (there were renovations and additions made in the 90s - the master bathroom was one of the additions). Thankfully the estimate yesterday afternoon was half that of the previous one. I also got a call back from the 3rd painter I'd contacted and he'll be here tomorrow to give a quote.

Once I have that sorted out I have to buy the doors (6), door hardware, bathroom fixtures (towel bars, toilet paper holder, robe hook), and a new bathroom vent fan and ceiling light. And a shower door, because the current one is gross and while it's functional, it'd be a shame to have everything else nice and new looking and then . . . that. Ack! I'm also getting tempted to replace the toilet in that bathroom now, especially since our water bill's gone up a bit the last 2 months. And most of that will be installed by a handyman. There's one we've used before who has very reasonable prices and does good work.

February 10th, 2015, 4:38 am #7

Painter #3 who did an estimate on the work here but didn't send a bid called at 8:20 this morning ( , I was asleep) to ask if I still wanted one even though it's late (by over a week, seriously) and blamed the flu hitting his family like he did before the bid for not calling me back for days to set up the estimate. Yeah dude, so you either were still among sick family and possibly bringing their plague into my house when you came here for the estimate or you're just using the illness as an excuse. Obviously, I declined receiving the bid. smh. Crazy people.

February 10th, 2015, 6:08 pm #8

If he does as good a job at painting as he does organizing his work, I'd probably pass also...
My Kids, , , , , , ,
, , , , , , ->
->

February 14th, 2015, 4:34 am #9

weblet wrote:If he does as good a job at painting as he does organizing his work, I'd probably pass also...
Yeah, after the hell that was getting landscaping work done last year, I'm paying attention to every red flag. Never. Again.

February 26th, 2015, 3:26 am #10

I ordered doors and will pick them up tomorrow, along with the hardware needed for them and the front door (it's staying). I still haven't heard from the painter on setting up dates for that so hopefully the handyman I'll use can make it in before the painter could have started anyway. I can't wait to see how the house looks when this is done! There'll still be plenty more to do but it'll be a huge step, and a lot of the cosmetic stuff after it can be done by us.