January 17th, 2016, 3:10 pm #31

I got my holiday stuff down on Thursday. I feel like the time frame was semi-acceptable for the Christmas stuff, but it'd been a solid month since the end of Hanukkah. Oops.
[Wisconsin, USA]
-> [Paraguay - AFS semester]
<- [Japan - AFS host sister]
-> [Turkey - NSLI summer]
-> [Mexico - uni semester]

January 19th, 2016, 2:39 pm #32

Matsunoki wrote:*sigh* I really really need to buy proper thermal curtains And definitely something over that front window, thermal or not, because the angle of the sunlight in the winter bounces off our wood floor into the kitchen like a mirror and like I need more reason to not keep the kitchen cleaned up . . .
The plastic films you can put over windows would at least keep the drafts out
Ann, AFS Host Mom, Sending Mom, Volunteer
My Kids, , , , , , ,
, , , , , , ->
->

January 19th, 2016, 5:56 pm #33

weblet wrote:
Matsunoki wrote:*sigh* I really really need to buy proper thermal curtains And definitely something over that front window, thermal or not, because the angle of the sunlight in the winter bounces off our wood floor into the kitchen like a mirror and like I need more reason to not keep the kitchen cleaned up . . .
The plastic films you can put over windows would at least keep the drafts out
I got some years ago but . . . cats! We had window sills they loved sitting on in the old house and in this one the big front window doesn't have a sill but the bottom's about a foot off the ground so they pull themselves up with their front paws to look out when people and vehicles go by. I can't take them from them so I never used it. I ended up ordering these curtains Sunday night. They're out for delivery now (woot Prime!) and I'll put them up ASAP when they get here.

Update edit! The curtains arrived. They're kind of ugly and the unwrinkling instructions didn't work too well but I don't really care. I was hoping for more of a sage green but they're more olive, but that could be the lighting. I can already feel the cool air pooling between them and the windows and they thoroughly block the mirror effect on the floor so YAY. Since I want to paint that room a neutral gray or greige eventually (and as of now it's beige with a very 90s floral border at the top), the color will work just fine until I decide to care about that room's appearance We don't spend any time in there anyway so who knows when that will be.
-> Kuwana, Japan - YFU JUSSE scholarship, summer 2004
-> Izmir, Turkey - work abroad, summer 2007
YFU volunteer area representative since 2009