Moderator: mosher

sharpe
sharpe

September 27th, 2011, 12:17 am #11

I should have stated that I have a very limited understanding of modern encryption so I was trying to put forth my basic understanding of it. Sorry about that.

mok-kong shen
NSA worthy

September 27th, 2011, 8:03 am #12

Among the classical ciphers I surmise that at least the polyalphabetic substitution in its more general ways of employment (I mentioned in an earlier thread the possibility of generating a new key character at each step of processing) may have quite good "error propagation" corresponding to the avalanche known in block ciphers.

jdege
NSA worthy
jdege
NSA worthy

September 27th, 2011, 3:15 pm #13

The usual forms of auto-keyed Vigs only have the appearance of "avalanche".

It's one of those things that appears to increase complexity, without actually doing much.
When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl.

mok-kong shen
NSA worthy

September 27th, 2011, 5:33 pm #14

jdege wrote:The usual forms of auto-keyed Vigs only have the appearance of "avalanche".
It's one of those things that appears to increase complexity, without actually doing much.
My proposal was to use columns of substitution alphabets that are all (pseudo-) random. That scheme may not be simple to crack in my humble view, since the new key characters are not autokeys (they are the ciphertext characters that get once more processed, i.e. encrypted, in the same columns of processing.)

mok-kong shen
NSA worthy

November 24th, 2011, 4:03 pm #15

keltia wrote:As I told moshe on Usenet, here is my implementation in Ruby if the Chaocipher system. You will also find implementation of several other oldish systems in the library (a work in progress).
old-crypto home page

Juts read the setup topic by james, congratulations for the investigation!
Access to the link brought error.