Saturday Morning Fever

Just a place for Trainees to try and relax

Saturday Morning Fever

Anastasia Gazis
Trainee

14 Apr 2016, 21:46 #1

As if to uphold a postmodern tradition of children and young adults of yore, and even in the current day, Anya was up and early on that Saturday morning, as she tried to be. Something of a woman-child, as she was called by her friends before in the nicest of ways, Anastasia had made it a ritual over the last year to get up at the crack of dawn on Saturdays. Even with her lethargy on days off, due to both her cat-like personality as well as her depression, she knew she wouldn't always be able to sleep in on the weekends with her new occupation as a Crusader-to-be.

Hence there she was in the rec room, dressed up in a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt that was too sizes too big, armed with the remote, a trio of granola bars and a nice tall glass of OJ. Finding a nice comfy spot in front of a television, she hooked up her small DVD player to the A/V jacks. Sitting not too far on the couch were some of her prized possessions: DVD collection discs of cartoons from the 80's and 90's. This Saturday? She felt the need to start off with some DuckTales, then maybe build up to some Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers; maybe she'd build up to a Gargoyles episode or two, if she could retain control over that particular telly long enough? Either way, she was more in a Disney mood that morning.

Having been accepted into the Crusaders as a rookie just recently -- only a little more than a week -- she had no reputation that she knew of. Maybe some caught wind of her sheepish personality as her current, human self? Maybe some caught wind of her other self, who she'd no doubt be assuming before long (probably by the time she got to Gargoyles episodes, if not sooner)? All she knew is, as far as she knew, she was being rather lionhearted in watching old cartoons, being an adult of twenty-three years. She expected mockery, but she felt that she'd be able to handle it. She didn't want a show of muscle if not necessarily, for the sake of her probationary status as well as not wanting to rough-house in the rec room.

And speaking of the rec room? It brought back good memories of her early teens, even during the days of her prejudice before and even after being able to return to her human shape. At her middle school she'd often duck away into a rec room after-hours, supervised by high schoolers with a good standing in both behavior and grades. Though obviously smaller than the recreational center she was in now, she still recalled those old days. Movies with popcorn played on Fridays, pizza on Wednesdays, a basketball arcade game, a foosball table, a ping-pong table... the days she stayed after school there made up for any bullying she'd receive as a mutant in middle school.

Not to mention, it was before he died. "Danny..." she lipped to herself as she inserted the DuckTales disc into the portable DVD player. She wondered if Danny would've liked a place like this. He'd been a regular at that old rec room. To her knowledge, it was still around when she'd graduated -- her grades and inhibitions in her last year kept her from being able to supervise the middle school's rec room.

She knew she shouldn't dwell on the past any further. Not wanting to break down on the spot, she steeled herself, turning on the player and setting it safely on the TV stand. Though he wasn't by any means a replacement for her beloved, far-gone friend, right now Anya knew she'd at least have Scrooge McDuck for company. Making her way back to the sofa and flipping the channel settings to reach the A/V 'channel', she set on a favorite of her's -- the first episode that Magica DeSpell appeared in. Opening a granola bar and taking a bite, she began her ritualistic cartoon quest with that iconic title theme...
Text colors: "Dodger Blue" (#1E90FF) & "Burgundy" (#8C001A)
Profile Page
Stats Sheet

Brian Stone
Trainee

15 Apr 2016, 07:34 #2

Blue eyes peered into the bag of coffee beans. The fresh aroma filled the air and the man holding the bag took a deep breath. Now that a smell that never gets old, Brian Stone thought to himself. A smile crept across his face as he remember the time he was a young Lieutenant in the Air Force.

"Its all about the grind sir," the young air man that ran the training room told him, "Can't be too fine, can't be too coarse. This, sir, is a science." And by God's name wasn't the best damn coffee he ever had. First time he didn't need to add sugar or creamer.

Brian dumped a scoop or two in the grinder and twist the top in just the right motions... now honed by twenty years of barista experience. "Shit old Stone Hands here could probably get recruited by the power of his coffee making skills if I didn't have the gauntlet," he joked to himself using his old nickname. He got it getting into bar fights in college and them saying he had stones for hands.

Soon the pot was ready and Brian grabbed his mug to head to the rec room. They gave the old man some time off since his assignment was suppose to come out later today. However he stopped at the door to set his coffee down and move to his bed. Sliding the mattress was a large safe he requested that he was able to bring. It had the works... bio-metrics, pin code and a dial. All worth it for what was in side. May there be help from the one true god if anyone but Brian was in control of it.

Opening the safe, a bright white light poured from it. In a container in the bottom, sat a large diamond like stone pulsing with energy. Next to it, an old leather gauntlet with a similar stone set in the back of the hand. Sliding the now fully charged gauntlet onto his hand, Brian moved back to the door. However before he left, a white force of light reached to grab the pot and mug as he closed the door behind him.

Carrying the items on a flat disk of light, Stone entered the Rec room where someone was already watching tv. He couldn't help but smile to see the cartoons playing. When he was deployed they use to watch Disney movies and what not all the time to escape the reality that they were living in. Sinking into the couch across the way from the young woman, Anya was her name he believed, he asked, "So what we watching Ma'am?"

He set the pot of coffee and mug down on the table with the disk of light from his gauntlet and grabbed the pot with his real hand to pour it, "Its Anya right? You came in the same time I did. I think we did some in-processing things together."

Anastasia Gazis
Trainee

16 Apr 2016, 04:36 #3

Not too soon before the intro ended did Anya hear his voice. Jolting up a bit nervously, she turned to see Brian sitting on the far end of the couch where she herself sat. Blinking, she wondered just how engrossed she was in the theme song to have not heard him approach. Trying to put words forward, Anya could feel herself blushing as she spoke.

"Oh, um. Hi there! Just watching some old... cartoons..." She grinned just as sheepishly, beginning to immediately regret her decision. After a moment, Anya realized that the man's tone didn't seem judgmental, and that he'd mentioned hearing of her before. By now, his face began to look familiar indeed. Despite this, she struggled putting a name to a face, especially due to her being embarrassed.

"Well, yes", she finally replied, pausing the show to remain focused and acknowledge the person before her. "Anastasia, but I prefer being called Anya. You're... Brian, was it? I think we had done some in-processing things together, yes". The rosy color of her cheeks was fading, as she began to feel more comfortable once she began to speak with him. "Um, if you'd like I can turn something else on. Don't know what's really on this early; I hadn't watched a TV channel of my own accord in ages".
Profile Page
Stats Sheet

Brian Stone
Trainee

16 Apr 2016, 14:12 #4

"I can see that," Brian responded to her stuttering out about the cartoons with a smile. He took a sip of that finely grind coffee and narrowed his eyes at what he was watching. Old Stone Hands pointed to the TV, "You know I think this started to air when I was in college. Like I remember this playing in the background as I did Statistics 101 homework."

Of course he wanted to slap himself with his own energy hand. Way to date yourself old man, he thought, Probably thinks you walked both ways to school up hill and barefoot in the snow. Brian tried to hide it under an other sip of coffee and using his gauntlet making force fields to bring him the paper on the table.

Brian waved his hand in a continue on kind of way. He fluffed the paper to make it more rigid and opened to the sports section. There was talk about the MLB opening day and how the new NFL schedules where put out. "Looks like the Texans got a rough year this year. Hope that Brock Osweiler kid is up to it." he said to really no one in particular.

Finally he looked over his paper and back to Anya, "You get assigned to a team yet?"

Anastasia Gazis
Trainee

17 Apr 2016, 04:00 #5

Anya nodded, then blinked as Brian hinted at his age. Just about to comment on such, her mouth remained open in surprise as she saw him lift his paper to him through a force field of light. Still not entirely used to seeing others with powers, she marveled at his ability.

"Ah, nice!", she said happily. "I've got to say, of what few powers I've seen around here thus far... that tops most of them". Remembering the age cue, she then asked, "And, wait. You were in college when this show aired? This was barely before my time. Most of what I'd seen, prior to the internet, was on cassette tapes. Mom used to have a pretty good selection of VHS tapes back home".

She glanced back to the TV, listening him speak about the latest sports news. Not knowing one thing from another, she quite literally smiled and nodded. This Brian guy seemed interesting to her, and thus far she hadn't been made fun of for her love of postmodern animation. Glancing back to the TV, then over to him, she then heard him ask his next question. "As far as I recall", she replied, "I think they're sending me to Sydney. Never been anywhere outside of the US, so that should be something..."

Again she glanced to the TV. Pressing the pause button, she curled her legs up to her side, looking back to Brian once more. "To be fair", she opened, "I... was really expecting to be mocked for watching this. Well... maybe we could chat for a bit, if you want? Seeing you show your own powers, I kind of want to exhibit my own, too"
Profile Page
Stats Sheet

Brian Stone
Trainee

17 Apr 2016, 18:51 #6

Brian laughed at himself and shrugged, "Yeah I kinda dated myself huh? I was studying Aeronautical engineering and Military History as a dual major at the time. The Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs. Ever get some free time I think you should go check it out. But yes Ma'am... they were airing when I was there. Shit I haven't heard about cassette tapes in forever. I think my pa still has Return of the Jedi still on VHS."

Looking at her as she marveled at his powers, the retired Lt. Colonel shrugged, "This gauntlet is what does it." He stuck his hand out so she could look at it, "I picked it up from my travels. What we know is that it manipulates light energy. Also allows me to fly and it translates languages for me. Also lets me speak them back."

"Well if we are doing tit for tat," Brian added lowering his paper now full interested. This world was all new to him and he was excited to see it. Stone Hands smiled as he lifted his coffee up to his lips, "Come on now... don't be shy."

Anastasia Gazis
Trainee

19 Apr 2016, 00:04 #7

After her suggestion, and with Brian's interest piqued, Anya half-regretted the decision, and yet half-approved of the same one. As if she needed any further excuse to enter her bestial state. And yet, she was nervous of his reaction. She couldn't do more extraordinary examples of mundane tasks, such as being able to lift objects with light like Brian could. And then again... Anya was slowly getting used to her other form, and doubted she'd have much longer before needing to assume it yet again. What was originally more like a loathed costume would soon become her alternate identity, and perhaps the predominant one.

After a couple seconds' pause as she thought of such, she took a deep breath. "Allllrighty then", she replied at last. "This takes a few seconds for everything to start working again. But once I get warmed up, I can sustain this for days on end..."

Getting off the couch and getting onto all fours, she closed her eyes and began to breathe deep once more. Beneath her casual morning attire, that would be shed soon after the transformation was complete, Anya had her Crusaders outfit worn snugly to her torso. Wishing she'd put a tail slit into her sweatpants, she nonetheless began to muster the courage to begin her change. As she breathed deep, she felt the world around her sway and flow, the lass become lightheaded. She slowly up, putting her arms between her legs and standing on the balls of her feet.

On the outside, the first signs of her change reflected in her hair, the pale pigment flowing into a darker color. Peeking up from the back of her pants was a tail, vestigial and hairless but growing fast. At the same time her tail sprouted, her skin began to sprout tawny fur, and her nails became pointed claws. Once her tail fully grew in, tipped with brown fur the color of her hair and coated with that tawny pelt, she shuddered a little, the tone of her muscles becoming more defined even under her fur.

Eight seconds. She'd counted this time. A new record for a more relaxed change. Slowly, she opened her eyes. The green pigments were gone -- they were now maroon, and with slit pupils like a feline's. Deep breathing stabilizing to a relaxed pace, she now spoke, her teeth now fangs. "So", she opened, her voice deeper and almost sounding like a growl, "...this is the other me. The beast inside. The Lioness, if you will..."
Profile Page
Stats Sheet

Brian Stone
Trainee

19 Apr 2016, 17:48 #8

Brian smiled and couldn't resist himself when Anya said that it took a few seconds to warm up but she could hold it for days. "Yeah I'm sure your prom date said the same thing," he said jokingly not ready for what was coming. However once she got on all fours, his head twisted to the side like a dog. "What in god's green ear..." he started before gasping and pulling back at what he saw.

Anya's hair was the first to change. Followed by the poking out of a hairless snake like thing from her sweats. It must have had to be a tail... or at least he hoped it was. Hair began to spread over her form and her nails turned to deadly weapons. Over a period shorter then eight seconds and reminded him of a horror movie, Brian was now face to face with a hybrid were-lion.

He leaned in and smiled with surprise, "This is amazing." Brian rose his hands to signal he wanted to see her claws, "Do you have fangs too? Does it hurt? How much stronger and faster do you become? Shit I never thought I'd see something like this... hell I didn't think I'd be piloting a power gauntlet either."