I am an autogynephile. What does my identity imply for transactivism?

A place to talk about how to understand and explain 'crossdreaming' and related forms of 'gender variance'

I am an autogynephile. What does my identity imply for transactivism?

jackmolay

25 Nov 2017, 14:43 #1

There are feminist reddit "subs" (i.e. forums) that are not controlled by transphobic TERFS, and which allows for a more open and nuanced discussion of transgender lives and identities.

Some of you might be interested in this thread, which starts with an entry from an MTF transgender person who has fallen into the trap of believing the autogynephilia theory gives a good representation of what causes crossdreaming.

The TimeTakesSoLong character, who is pedantically trying to shoot down may arguments against Blanchard, is most likely  wxhluyp (or a close associate), a truly transphobic crossdreamer, who for years have tried to control the crossdreamer discourse. He even tried to take over this community before he was banned. The MEF acronym stands for "masochistic emasculation fetish", which is what he thinks that he and all crossdreamers and transgender people like us are suffering from.

As for the headline: "I am an autogynephile. What does my identity imply for transactivism?" Let me make this absolutely clear: I am in contact with several of the leading trans activists both in my home country and in the US. None of them have argued that crossdreamers are not welcome in the transgender community. Some of them have even actively helped me in my thinking.

Lost247365

25 Nov 2017, 18:36 #2

I really don’t get why any of his/her/hir questions are even relevant.  No matter what explanation is given for crossdreaming, an ally is an ally.

If, for argument sake, that person’s specific form of crossdreaming is “just a fetish” how does that exclude them from being a trans-activist? Every voice that is added to the cause strengthens it and gives it more weight.

And Sexuality is a intergal part of being human for 99% of the human race.  It is just that person’s nature.  If that gives him/her/hir a sense of empathy in any way and encourages that person to fight the good fight, then more power to him/her/hir!

And just to add my $0.02 to their other questions:

No I don’t think AGP is a good explanation for their condition.  No they are not engaging in self harm.  Crossdreaming is just another way a transgender nature reveals itself and is perfectly natural and not a disorder.  We should have whatever access to medical interventions we need including transition and not denied acess because some gatekeeper has sexual hang ups about things they don’t understand.

AllisonWunderland

25 Nov 2017, 22:24 #3

I am fascinated by raptors and wish I could fly.

And so let's label it a "pathology"  -- "Avianphilia" "The persistent desire to identify as a raptor coupled with a compelling fixation to be capable of flight."

I expect that anyone with a gender has considered what it might be like to be the other gender. That seems a normal function of identity formation.

Let's argue here that cross-gender ideation is only "pathological" to the extent that it violates norms of gender presentation, and that the impulse to violate norms can be the etiology of some significant gender dysphoria.

Were not the genders bifurcated into discrete realms, the boundaries of gender would not be so rigidly binding. The etiology of gender dysphoria derives from socio-culturally mediate boundaries. No boundaries, no dysphoria.

And in that vein, let's suggest that the post-modern, post-structuralist environs that constitute our current Zeitgeist opens the narrative of a less rigidly bifurcated gender paradigm.

That said, I don't feel that surgery and hormone replacement are the "answer" to addressing dysphoria. I'm thinking that HRT and surgery just reinforce the hetero-fascist dyad.
Allison Wunderland's Transcend Dance --
http://allisontranscend.blogspot.com/

jackmolay

26 Nov 2017, 10:09 #4

If, for argument sake, that person’s specific form of crossdreaming is “just a fetish” how does that exclude them from being a trans-activist?

That is a very good point, indeed. I guess the answer from this reddit poster would be that there is a lot of social stigma involved and that this stigma might undermine the legitimacy of the cause in the eyes of non-transgender people.

You have seen something similar in the LG part of the LGBT, where some gay men (in particular) have argued that there should be no "queens" and "fairies" in the Pride parade as they would scare away moderate voters. At the moment you go down that road, you have already lost, as I see it. You become part of the oppressive system, not a liberator.

jackmolay

26 Nov 2017, 10:13 #5

That said, I don't feel that surgery and hormone replacement are the "answer" to addressing dysphoria. I'm thinking that HRT and surgery just reinforce the hetero-fascist dyad.
A lot of research on the lives and welfare of transgender post transitioning proves otherwise. For some HRT and surgery is what save their lives, as their body dysphoria is so strong that no attempts to live out their identity in their assigned role or their body as it is. 

I am sure there have been transgender people who have felt pressured to transition because of an oppressive binary, but do not make the mistake of invalidating transgender people who have been through hell and who have found that transitioning is the right way to go. I most certainly understand where they have been.

Don't let the theory come in the way of respect.

Dawn

27 Nov 2017, 07:30 #6

I can't help but let my experience come in the way of respect. It's like someone telling me that the sun rises in the west and sets in the south. We can sit there and watch the sun rise in the east and set in the west. Then, the person still insists the sun rises in the west and sets in the south. I have no choice but to consider their assertions absurd.

Bobbi Dare

28 Nov 2017, 15:53 #7

What can you say about this? This person clearly identifies on the Trans spectrum and yet buys into the demeaning language of AGP to describe it. I know people like this and they suffer a great deal of angst and self-loathing. Some vehemently deny that their own feelings and that those of other Trans are valid. Accepting that you are a pervert when you join this community is not healthy for the individual, it doesn't help the movement either, but that will march on regardless. I can only hope that one day we reach a point in our work where this person starts to feel as though they belong, they are respected that they are a part of society and not a pariah.

Update: I posted this comment in the Reddit thread.

April

28 Nov 2017, 23:29 #8

Bobbi, I know similar people. The idea of them personally being trans absolutely horrifies them, so they embrace Blanchard like theories to explain their experience, but dismiss it as an unworthy reason for transition.

A lot of these same people then also project that idea onto the entire trans community. I suspect some of the biggest transphobes on the web are exactly this way, but rather deep in the closet about it.

oreb

30 Nov 2017, 01:49 #9

We are talking about complicated states of affairs that cannot be experienced directly. There is no such thing as direct inner experience. All we can do is constantly and painstakingly interpret ourselves to the best of our ability and with the best tools available. Which means usually rather poorly.
Don't trust them, Steven.

MegE23

04 Dec 2017, 23:55 #10

There's nothing wrong with feeling arousal with the fantasy/action of being a woman.  It certainly doesn't make anybody any less of a transgender woman.  Why?  Because most cisgender women experience 'autogynephilia' too!

I will say that I am glad to have found some better people here who address this topic unlike many of the hateful, condascending, neo-nazi level rage projected by TERFs and others.  

Source:
Moser, C. (2009). Autogynephilia in women. Journal of Homosexuality, 56, 539–547.