Close-knit -- beautiful Japanese movie

jackmolay
Dream Tamer
jackmolay
Dream Tamer

9:15 AM - Jan 14, 2018 #1

Close-Knit-2-620x497.jpg

My wife and I watched a wonderful Japanese movie yesterday, called Close-knit. It is touring film festivals world wide at the moment, which was how we found out about it.

Close-knit (Karera ga honki de amu toki wa) is a heartwarming movie. It does not in any way hide the pain and suffering transgender (and gay) people go through, but at the same time it shows that nearly anything is possible.

There is one scene in the movie that sticks out for me: It is a flashback to the childhood of the transgender character, Rinko (played by Tôma Ikuta as an adult), where Rinko (still living as a young boy) tells his mother that he wished he had boobs. The camera dwells on the scene for a long time as you can see the mother trying to digest this revelation. She ends up embracing her child, saying that she had always been a girl. Shortly after she gives the kid a gift: A bag with feminine lingerie and two boobs she has knitted herself.

There is a lot of knitting in this movie, but I will include no more spoilers.

Still, what if more mothers had been like her...

It is not available as a Blu-ray yet (actually it is, but it is prohibitively expensive http://amzn.to/2EHClgB), but I would guess it will be available for streaming shortly. It is possible to get it via torrent search engines, but you know the drill: If you watch it that way, do buy it when it becomes available. Film makers of this kind need all the support they can get.

Here is the IMDB summary:

One spring Hiromi, who is the mother of an 11-year-old girl Tomo, left home for the umpteenth time. Tomo is accustomed to such a mother and as always went to Makio's place. He is a brother of Hiromi and has lived with Rinko, a pretty girlfriend. Actually, Rinko is a transwoman. She works as a caregiver in a nursing home where Makio's mother Sayuri who suffers from dementia is living. Rinko makes a delicious meal and sometimes cuddles Tomo. She is a little confused, but Tomo, Rinko and Makio start to live a life together. One day Rinko teaches Tomo to knit to control her temper. Rinko was also taught by her mother at the age of puberty when she struggled with her sexuality. A daughter neglected by her mother. A gentle uncle and his transgender lover. An angsty boy who recognizes a sense of himself as a gay - A warm "knitting" reorganizes unconventional family.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5633706/plo ... _=tt_ov_pl

PS:

Looking for illustrations to this post, I found this poster for the movie. It saddens me to see that it contains all the main characters except Toma Ikuta!
Karera_ga_Honki_de_Amu_Toki_wa-tp.jpg

Barbara Haskell
Dream Dancer
Barbara Haskell
Dream Dancer

4:27 PM - Jan 14, 2018 #2

Thank you so much, Jack! It's a beautiful movie