Challenge: Crossdreamer moments in movies and TV episodes

Where we discuss art, games, fiction, music, fashion, media and other forms of creativity.

Challenge: Crossdreamer moments in movies and TV episodes

April 13th, 2018, 3:09 am #1

Sometimes a movie or a TV episode will have a scene that has some crossgender angle to it. I am not talking about films about transgender people, like Transamerica or The Danish Girl, but other movies or series where one of the characters end up presenting as the other gender or become the other gender.

I suggest we share them here, good or bad!

212.jpg

April 13th, 2018, 3:24 am #2

INCLUDES MINOR SPOILER REGARDING JUMANJI WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE

In the new version ofJumanji the board game has become a computer game with avatars.

Four teenagers are sucked into the game (by way of magic) and find themselves characters in the Jumanji games.

The movie is not Oscar material, but agreeable enough.

One of the teenagers is a a vain and narcissistic alpha girl with the name of Bethany, played by Madison Iseman.

a02.jpg She literally falls into the Jumanji jungle as a male archeologist, professor Shelly Oberon.
jack-black-as-professor-shelley-oberon-in-jumanji-welcome-to-the-jungle.jpg

Jack Black is not one of my favorite characters and he actually manages to channel his inner teenage girl in a convincing way!

April 13th, 2018, 3:55 am #3

INCLUDES MINOR SPOILER REGARDING READY PLAYER ONE

Spielberg is back with an eighties movie, produced in 2017 and set in the future. Ready Player One is another computer game movie, where most of the action takes place in cyberspace.

In this movie you are presented with the cyberspace versions of the characters – their avatars – and one of the main avatars, Aech, is a muscular Caucasian male and the sidekick of the main character, Wade AKA Parzival.

Aech makes a joke about Wade's love interest, Art3mis, in the movie, indicating that she might be an old dude. This is the traditional, derogatory, joke about male to female crossdreamers in contexts like this one. 

It turns out, however, that  the joke is there to prepare you for a nice twist.  

It turns out that it is Aech that is the gender violator, as he – in real life – is an African-American  woman named Helen Harris (played by Lena Waithe). She also gets to embody the Iron Giant!

4c4dfb369ca9cca25f8cfe4b1ae80623.jpg Note that Aech is a lesbian in the book the movie is based on. That is not clear in the movie, which I think is a shame.

Here's how the reveal moment is described in the book, when Wade meets his best friend in the real world for the first time:

"A heavyset African American girl sat in the RV's driver seat, clutching the wheel tightly and staring straight ahead. She was about my age, with short, kinky hair and chocolate-colored skin that appeared iridescent in the soft glow of the dashboard indicators ... She appeared to be shivering, even though it was nice and warm in the cab.

I stood there for a moment, staring at her in silence, waiting for her to acknowledge my presence. Eventually, she turned and smiled at me, and it was a smile I recognized immediately ...When I didn't say anything, her eyes dropped to her boots and stayed on them. I sat down heavily in the passenger seat, still staring over at her, still unsure of what to say. She kept stealing glances at me; then her eyes would dart away nervously. She was still trembling."
Delia Harrington makes an interesting point over at Den of Geek:

Aech’s story could have easily included either a clarification of their gender identity or a note of gender exploration. The movie doesn’t make any attempts to suggest whether Helen, Aech’s identity in the real world, might be trans, agender, non-binary, or otherwise gender nonconforming. For many LGBTQ folks, online spaces can be life-saving. They can be a place to ask questions, meet with others who identify similarly, present themselves in their true gender rather than the one they were assigned at birth, or even to explore an aspect of themselves that’s uncertain. It isn’t hard to imagine parts of the OASIS that are like tumblr, livejournal, AfterEllen, Autostraddle, or grindr come to life—or perhaps all of the above.
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/read ... represents

I agree!

See also: 'Ready Player One' botched the book's biggest reveal and the movie suffers for it http://www.thisisinsider.com/ready-play ... eal-2018-3

April 13th, 2018, 4:12 am #4

I will start with a scene from the movie "Stardust:"

A farm hand gets transformed into an animal for the witch villian of the film and laters she restores him to human form in order to help with a ruse she is trying to create and decides that he should play the role of her young daughter and changes the boy into a woman.

I will hold off and give others the chance to do some of the anime examples I know of for a bit.   But I will put them up if no-one else does :P

April 13th, 2018, 4:24 am #5

My favourite upon favourites was the female impersonator Christopher Morley from the 1980s. I was about 12 years old when I first saw him and he blew my mind, the fact that a man could impersonate a female so well and look beautiful at the same time. He appeared in many 1980s American Tv programmes such as TJ Hooker, Vegas etc. It is a shame that no high quality clips seem to exist. Here is one of his appearances, he is the blonde in the opening scene, I presume his voice was dubbed. From Christophers own YouTube Channel:

April 15th, 2018, 1:19 am #6

A couple of Oldies! 

From the movie "Defending your life"

If I remember the movie correctly (I was like ten when I saw it) people after they die have to prove they lived their lives to the fullest before being allowed into Heaven.  Those who fail to do so are reincarnated.

In this scene all the recent arrivals to the afterlife are taken to a Pavallion where they are shown previous lives.  Apparently everyone except for Albert Brook's character are shown past lives as the other gender.

Albert Brooks character gets to see his previous life as "Dinner."

And then there was the short lived TV show "Weird Science."  The show is based upon a movie where two teenage boys accidently create a computer generated female genie to grant their wishes.  There were a few sex/gender change related episodes.  

For instance there was a quick sex transition gag at the end of the pilot episode:

And episode where one of the main characters becomes his own mom:

and one episode where the boys are turned into girls completely to learn how the opposite sex thinks:

April 15th, 2018, 5:30 am #7

The woman who thought she was Prince Valiant..  How does she know she wasn't the horse?

April 15th, 2018, 7:30 pm #8

If you're a Final Fantasy VII fan, raise your hand ;)

The plot is you (a male) have to crossdress to break into a brothel to rescue your female teammate, who had planned to put herself into sexual peril to obtain information. There's a whole sequence of mini-games you play to win items of varying quality - silk dress or cotton dress, and the sexier you are, the greater chance you have of being "selected" by the guy for some one-on-one time. When really you're just there to kick his butt, but still. ;)

April 16th, 2018, 3:41 am #9

Another fav is Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde from Hammer films:

April 16th, 2018, 3:45 am #10

Not forgetting 'Triple Echo' the English 70s movie