Brick-Parts Keep Falling on My Head

IC Archive.

Brick-Parts Keep Falling on My Head

Orange Hammersmasher
Advanced Member
Orange Hammersmasher
Advanced Member

29 Nov 2011, 15:48 #1

Orange muttered his way up the street, walking slow as he glanced from side to side, hammer up over one shoulder. To be honest, it wasn't exactly something which could be easily put away being more troll sized then dwarf sized, but after all it was meant to smash trolls knees. The dwarves looked at it this way; your hands might be small but your target was hard to damage without the right concussive force so it had to be far tougher and larger then most weapons for the best area of effect. Thus, it looked like a really BIG freaking hammer which was longer in some ways then the dwarf carrying it. The watch had given him some issues about it, but then realized his carrying it added to the safety and quietness of where he was also going.

So they counted it as a peace keeping weapon.

Right now he was heading towards the Opera House, a bizarre building even by human standards in his mind and worthy of study anyway. it was far too covered on the inside with gilt so he had long ago decided never to go inside again. Instead he walked across the street from it and stood back, balancing his hammer beside him like a lamppost for a moment as he looked at it's myriad of ledges and windows, wondering if there was anything inspiring for him in that particular edifice. It was about then that he heard a small chunk-type sound above him somewhere.

While there were such things as stupid dwarves, Orange was not one of them. He and his hammer immediately went to the left about four human-paces before he looked up and noted on the end of his hammer's top spike (decorative; ever since it was first assigned to him in the Knee Smashers he had hoped it would get broken off and not replaced. It had instead proved to be tougher then the rest of the hammer by that quirk of fate called the Discworld) had a new decoration of a brick stuck on the end of it. His brow furrowed. Though Anhk-Morpork was one of the world's oddest places, bricks did not often proven soft.

Lowering the hammer he stepped up near the top of it and checked out said brick, noting it was long damaged probably by freezing and bad baking in the beginning. He pushed it off the end and watched it shatter on the cobbles before it occurred to him they didn't normally fall from the sky either. Turning to where he was standing, he stepped in the alley and noted a ladder leading up to the roof for access and walked towards it, sliding the hammer in it's sheath which most would call inadequately small. With a dwarf's strength it took a matter of moments to climb up (as he was in superb condition for a baker) and he stood on the roof, looking to see what had caused the falling bricks, a hazard in his mind.

29 Nov 2011, 19:53 #2

A silhouette detached itself from the roof of the Assassins' Guild, crouched on the edge and looking down. The Guild didn't mind its students going out at night. It tended to be a good idea for them to get used to moving around at night, and this girl was no exception. She gazed at the cobbles beneath her, waiting for something.

There! A flash of gold fur. Tabitha smiled slightly, moving from roof to roof, avoiding chimney pots and washing lines as she went, her eyes fixed on the creature trotting through the shadows. She had been watching this creature for nearly three weeks, tracking it all over the city. Tabitha, like everyone else in Ankh Morpork, had heard about the rumours of the Watch employing a werewolf. She was almost certain that the creature she was following was the supposed werewolf. For a start, it carried a Watch badge on a collar around its neck. She was also fairly sure she had an idea of who the werewolf was in human form.

Tabitha had made a habit of following members of the Watch on their night rounds for as long as she had been a part of the Assassins' school. She enjoyed the challenge of trying to shadow them without them realising that they were being followed. She was also curious as to what they got up to. A lot of people thought that the Watch, especially since Vimes had take charge and turned it into an efficient, unbribable force, was just a nuisance. After all, with the Guilds policing their own, what place did the Watch have?

Her feet took her across the city to the Ankh Morpork Opera House, where she lost sight of the werewolf. Mouthing a couple of choice words she had learnt from a couple of the older students, she sat back on her haunches, her chin in her hand. Her mismatched eyes raked the streets below her for any sign of the wolf, but there was nothing. Nothing roamed the streets. Even the Opera House was silent at this time. She sighed, wondering what to do with the rest of the night.

The sound of rattling chainmail snapped her from her thoughts. Normally, the dwarves made chainmail that didn't make a sound, but in the silence of the night, every sound was taken and amplified several times. Tabitha quickly stepped back into a shadow, watching as a dwarf heaved himself up onto the roof. She spied the usual hammer hanging from his belt, although the dwarf seemed rather small for the amount of hammer he carried. Tabitha dismissed that thought from her mind. A dwarf's hammer is never too big for the dwarf. It just didn't happen. She squinted into the dark, leaning forwards a little to get a better view of him. She had never really seen a dwarf before. Not a sober one in any case. On her night-time prowls, she had seen countless drunken dwarfs emerging from the pubs, but they all seemed to be intent on removing the legs of the next person they saw. For her, a sober dwarf was something of a rarity, perhaps even a novelty. She took another step forwards, her head tilted a little to one side, closing one eye to try to concentrate harder.

Orange Hammersmasher
Advanced Member
Orange Hammersmasher
Advanced Member

01 Dec 2011, 17:45 #3

[center][url=http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa292/Shava44/Dwarf/STEALTHDWARF.jpg][img]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa292/Shava44/Dwarf/dwarf2.png[/img][/url]
[/center]

Generations of Dwarves all the way back to when Tak first created them had grown up underground, learning to see in the deepest dark places, seeing more with a glow-worm then most species could see in full daylight. They learned to see, trained themselves to conquer the dark in their own ways. So being in Anhk-Morpork at night was easy indeed, especially as he preferred the evenings, sleeping more in the mid day then at night. So when he came over the edge of the roof to look around, he didn't miss anything on the roof because of shadows, he missed her because she was still.

Most assassins wore black, many of them never realizing it made them stand out to those with low light vision. Little in a city was black at night, but more many shades of greys, charcoals, and murky colors. he registered the black of her outfit instantly, but thought it was part of the building material for a moment. When she stepped forward slightly, his eyes came to her immediately and then he understood. Pulling the brick out he held it up saying [color=orange][font=Comic Sans MS][b]"Ah, that was you then?"[/b][/color][/font] He didn't say it in a way of accusation, but more information.

[color=orange][font=Comic Sans MS][b]"Where were you just now when this fell? I want to see the spot."[/b][/color][/font] Orange had no problem with assassins. They were rarely sent after Dwarves, after all, and they had money. As a baker and successful businessdwarf, he had no issues with people having deep pockets. They got hungry eventually. Looking at the edges, he walked carefully, not used to being on a roof and it's slanted edges to see where the brick had come from. He wanted to know the cause for sure of the softer bricks, a partial idea running through his mind.

Softer dwarf bread wouldn't do it, but an environmentally softened stone might be an interesting flavor to work with for his more 'underground" customers...

03 Dec 2011, 08:20 #4

Tabitha jumped back into the shadows of a statue, her cloak wrapping itself around her. He had seen her! How had he been able to see her? She had never been seen before! People just walked straight past her! Somewhere in the back of her mind, a little voice cursed and said 'well, there goes your mark in stealthy movement". For a moment, she was terrified that he would raise his hammer and lop her off at the knees. That would put an end to her assassin career, and she needed her assassin career. Her hair twisted itself into a tight knot, but released again as she snapped to objectivity. From her limited knowledge of sober dwarfs, they didn't attack without good reason. Only the drunk ones did that. On the other hand, this was a pretty angry looking dwarf, brandishing a brick at her. A brick. Not normally the weapon of choice for the for the dwarfs as far as she knew, but that didn't mean they hadn't adopted it. After all, wasn't it possible for a leopard to change his shorts?

She stepped warily out of the shadows, where it was more obvious that she was only a student assassin, as she wasn't wearing black. Only graduated assassins were allowed to wear the fabled black. Tabitha's clothing was dark brown with a dark purple cloak, although in insufficient light, they could appear black. She raised her hands briefly to show that she was unarmed. Well, she had a knife in her boot, but she wasn't about to pull that one out in the face of a warhammer.
"I didn't drop the brick," she said in response to the dwarf's words. At least, she didn't drop the brick on purpose... Realising that her answer sounded very much like a child trying to tell his mother that it had been the cookie monster who had eaten all the biscuits. After brief thought, she added: "It's not a method we're really allowed to use." It was a distinct possibility that she had nudged a loose brick in her climbing, but it had certainly been by accident. Inhuming a person by dropping brick on their head was, in any case, considered to be in extremely bad form. Any respectable assassin wouldn't touch it with a very long stick!

Her thoughts continued without her prompting. Why did he thing someone had taken a contract out on him? The number of dwarfs inhumed by the Guild was minimal. It wasn't that they couldn't afford the service, everyone knew that the dwarfs hoarded gold like dragons, but rather that the humans saw the use in having the dwarves around. also the dwarves tended to sort things out between themselves. The humans used assassins because they didn't want to get their hands dirty. Tabitha watched the dwarf in front of her with wary, mismatched eyes, waiting for his next move.

Orange Hammersmasher
Advanced Member
Orange Hammersmasher
Advanced Member

03 Dec 2011, 17:28 #5

[center][url=http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa292/Shava44/Dwarf/STEALTHDWARF.jpg][img]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa292/Shava44/Dwarf/dwarf2.png[/img][/url]
[/center]

At her silence he frowned, thinking back over the question; he had thought it simple enough. Assassins he had the impression of as being very smart, not stupid. Maybe he had to try again with this one. [color=orange][font=Comic Sans MS][b]"You-no-un-der-stand?"[/b][/color][/font] She stepped out more and said something about not dropping a brick. Orange wanted to roll his eyes but resisted, wondering what it was about humans and always moving too fast, jumping to conclusions. Like a dwarf they should learn to take their time and think, but no with everything in their lives they had to go running into things, part of the reason humans were overflowing the land.

[color=orange][font=Comic Sans MS][b]"I didn't say you did. Did you hear me say you were throwing bricks? No! I asked you where you were when this fell."[/b][/color][/font] He was tempted to slap a hand over his face and slide it off, but he didn't. Waiting for her to respond, he debated the brick thought anyway. It wasn't a very good weapon so there was no reason for her to think that. No aerodynamics, bad balance, and far too soft for a helmet. [color=orange][font=Comic Sans MS][b]"It would be a lousy weapon for a helmet anyway,"[/b][/color][/font] he admitted agreeing with her second statement.

When she didn't respond very quickly he rolled his eyes this time and let out a sigh of exasperation. Humans. Head in the clouds and totally lacking good air to breathe their brains clearly suffered from it. It just wasn't natural to be that tall! Look at trolls! Ridiculous. He looked for the nearest path or where she might have logically come from. Pointing to the edge he said [color=orange][font=Comic Sans MS][b]"You came from over there? Show me."[/b][/color][/font] He didn't say please, mostly because of his current annoyance with her slow responses.

03 Dec 2011, 20:01 #6

Tabitha realised that the dwarf, behind the beard and the helmet, was starting to get a little impatient with her. Her eyes narrowed a little. Her hair curled a little in anger. This dwarf was starting to get on her nerves a little. She may still be a child, but that didn't mean she was an idiot. Especially since the person treating her like an idiot was shorter than she was. Some of the paying students from the big families may be as thick as two trolls in a volcano, but the scholarship students got in on being bright and, more importantly, being able to kill. The assassins liked having such people carefully under their watch and preferably, earning money for the Guild. She gestured towards the edge of the roof a couple of feet away.
"I was standing over there," she said icily. "As for your comment about only asking me where I was, I'm guessing you've worked out that I'm a student assassin. For the most part, we do... inhume... people. It's normal to jump to the conclusion that someone would be annoyed at me for trying to kill them." She turned to walk back to the edge where she had been, crouching down and scanning the streets. Still no sign of the Watch. She sighted, straightening up again, turning to face the dwarf.
"I'm Tabitha, by the way."

-OOC: I'm sorry about the short post. I'm trying to do my french homework at the same time ^^"-

Orange Hammersmasher
Advanced Member
Orange Hammersmasher
Advanced Member

04 Dec 2011, 16:20 #7

[/center]

Dwarves in general didn't bother much with assassins and thieves, though in this city they were counted as different groups and given some respect. Since most Dwarves spent their lives underground without coming up to the light even in Anhk-Morpork and no assassin like the idea of being in limited tunnels with maximum guards around who could see in the dark. Therefore very few dwarves were targeted by the assassin's guild (who had upped the fees for them on general principles anyway) and so he wasn't concerned about a lone assassin on a roof. He had approached without fear since his business in no way could be considered an interference with the guild.

He'd also been told they didn't kill without a contract. How "civilized."

Orange did give her a non-plused look over the word inhume. Did people really use that word? Must be an assassin thing. As she walked to the roof he followed, staying a healthy distance away from the edge. A roof in his mind was of lighter construction then to hold up a dwarf in chainmail. [color=orange][font=Comic Sans MS][b]"Then you don't know Dwarves very well then. I don't assume humans know what they are thinking most of the time either, I just sell them bread."[/b][/color][/font] He got closer to the edge and saw where a few shingles were missing and had been for awhile. Under that he saw badly weathered brick. [color=orange][font=Comic Sans MS][b]"Ah, that's it then..."[/b][/color][/font]

As he felt the other bricks for softness and weathered changes, he said to her [color=orange][font=Comic Sans MS][b]"Name's Orange. Why do you say 'inhume?' Kill is a easier word to use."[/b][/color][/font] Orange pried up another brick and compared it to the first he was still holding. Very similar. Sure he had found the right spot, he backed off to a more secure footing and compared them more closely. They were soft and brittle, as the weathering had done a number on their cohesion. Interesting.