The Best Cat Toy EVER

Just to get stuff off your chest or other stories to share.
Beastball

Unread post 04 Dec 2013, 23:19 #1

I've seen a similar toy advertized on TV, but upon reading reviews it turns out the "Smarty Kat Hot Pursuit" is the better quality toy.

What is the Hot Pursuit? Only the best cat toy ever:

[youtube]AToNCY8vqac?[/youtube]

For that last few months, this thing has been sold out / out of stock everywhere, or the few left online were obscenely overpriced. After weeks of searching, I found a Walmart with some in stock. Getting there, I saw they only had two left in stock, so I took them both. I couldn't wait to get home and try it out on my cat.
My cat is very playful so I knew she'd go for it.
I'm not sure who has more fun--me or her!

Mine cost $19.99 at Walmart, but there are some (3 left) on Amazon now for $29.99

http://www.amazon.com/SmartyKat-Hot-Pur ... =smartykat

CDF Fan

Unread post 05 Dec 2013, 15:57 #2

I'm glad to know that it actually works. I saw this on TV months ago and was skeptical to buy one for my cat. Now I'll have to go out and try to find it.

Beastball

Unread post 05 Dec 2013, 18:09 #3

It's a great toy my cat just flips for, but make sure you get the Smarty Kat and NOT the Cat's Meow (which is the one advertized on TV and also available in stores).

There are some very important differences:

Cat's Meow uses 3 "C" batteries / Smary Kat uses 3 "AA" batteries. It's much cheaper in the long run to use AA batteries especially the rechargeable ones.

Smary Kat automatically turns itself off after 5-10 seconds if the wand stops moving (like if your cat is sitting on it). This saves the gears from wearing out. Cat's Meow has no auto shut-off and just keeps grinding its gears.

Smarty Kat seems to be more durable judging from the reviews. A lot of people who bought the Cat's Meow complained it broke soon after their cat played with it.

Smarty Kat has 4 speeds (slow, medium, fast, and random) and two wand types (feathers and mouse tail) included.

Beware of buying online as I've read people who purchased a Smarty Kat were instead given an inferior substitute in place without their consent. However, some of those people did get their money back.

CDF Fan

Unread post 14 Dec 2013, 15:25 #4

I went to Walmart for the first time in about 7 years and after searching for an hour I found three of them. They were on the bottom shelf and pushed to the back, but I was happy they were the Smarty Kay brand. At first the cat just sat and watched it for about 20 minutes and then attacked in full force. Definitely a good buy and I like the features.

Beastball

Unread post 14 Dec 2013, 22:21 #5

Glad you found it CDF Fan!

My cat did the very same thing. When I first set it up and turned it on, she sat there looking it over. I guess she was trying to figure out what the heck it was and maybe if it was a danger to her. The feather wand is her favorite over the mouse tail. What really gets her to pounce is when it pauses momentarily then does that little wiggle back and forth. She loves to watch from the doorway or from the side of the couch...then runs and dives for the feather wand.

I have it set up in the living room and at first she would get her claws stuck in the rug, so now I set the toy on a large section of cardboard. Does the trick.

astroal

Unread post 19 Dec 2013, 13:24 #6

thanks for the tip.

maybe santa paws might pick this up for some kitties i know...

Beastball

Unread post 21 Dec 2013, 17:38 #7

A tip for when the feathers get pulled out (and they will). Pull back on the rubber sheath that holds the feathers in place until all the feather ends are exposed. You'll see the feathers are glued together--just place the loose feather with the others (you could also re-glue it in) then just reseat the rubber sheath over the feather ends. I'm sure once the feathers become too frayed that I'll have to find replacements somewhere.