Just to introduce myself

New initiate to the Nihilistic Coven of the Risen Serpent? Introduce yourself...

Just to introduce myself

Hans
Disciple
Hans
Disciple

28 Jul 2010, 20:25 #1

Hi, I am a Cathedral fan since 1995, I once coincidently heard Hopkins on a local radio station that had a once a week metal program as I was of course a metal fan (and still am). Funny thing is that I was waiting for some time to hear something special, other than death metal and other than bands like Korn or whatever they were turning. I was looking for something classic but also rough sounding, unpolished, in the vein of early Maiden. The next day (or a few days later I don't remember) I went to a store and bought the album. From then on, I started collecting everything to be found of the band. Not soon after, I also got into Black Sabbath (the early work). A few years later I also started listening to other doom bands like Orange Goblin, Grand Magus, Witchcraft and the mighty Pagan Altar. And then came 2003, the year I got a credit card to start collecting more obscure material from ebay and other sites.

Everything Cathedral released is truely great music for me so, to say what my favorite album or song is,... I can only say that it's the one I'm listening to in the momment. And after 5 years of waiting and wondering if they're still around came The Guessing Game. And wow, what a great album again, I simply can't get the tunes out of my head. I have dreams at night with the music in the background, I start to wisple the songs without even realising, I need to listen to it again and again. Funny thing is, the first few seconds I hated it, no, honestly, I had something like "is that all, hey, what happended to the raw energy?...but wait...this ain't actually so bad...actually,...this is amazing once again".

So, thank you, Cathedral, for the great music and for introducing us into a great style of music. Without Cathedral I would never have become a fan of Saint VItus, I would never have heard of Withfinder General, I woudl never have becom a fan of Wino and stuff like that.

I really hope we don't have to wait for the next effort 5 years again but in the mean while, we'll enjoy what we have now, especially The Guessing Game.

And congrats with the new website.

Hans.

Tombsmoker
Neophyte
Tombsmoker
Neophyte

02 Aug 2010, 18:06 #2

Hi, been a fan since just before The Ethereal Mirror (got a hold of the prerelease and I was hooked). Had made my own fan-site for the band Witch I ran for nearly 10 years (Serpent Eve), but family and a full time job rules my life now. There is a myspace page I put together and neglect on a regular basis under the same name though.

I collect Cathedral bootlegs and have amassed a large collection (mostly audio and a few video). I have little free time anymore, but might consider a trade if you have a show I really want (The Garden live or the Poughkeepsie NY show from VIIth Coming days are two).

I met Brian, Lee, and Garry at the Poughkeepsie show. Awesome bunch of guys. I only wish I was sober then. Took a few more years before I straightened up and "grew up" lol
Ashes you leave...

Suuretmuinaiset
Neophyte

08 Aug 2010, 10:11 #3

Hi there! I've been a Cathedral fan since I heard a song or couple from their debut demo (it might have been demo 2, can't remember) on radioshow called Metalliliitto (finnish metal radio program 1988-2006). Year was 1991. First thoughts: "Huh, this is sooo damn heavy, i mean ultra heavy doom with weird, twisted and crispy sounding vocals of former Napalm Death singer Lee Dorrian (I used to listen Napalm Death quite a lot!). Lee is singing - yes, he's singing, not grunting, growling etc. - wow!. Gotta get this stuff". Soon after that debut album Forest of Equilibrium was released and I was completely hooked.

Sadly after Carnival Bizarre 2x10" I was somehow drifted away from buying Cathedral stuff. Until 2004 I heard first time properly whole Endtyme album. That record brought me back to Cathedral and now I have enjoyed every "lost" albums as well. My all time favorite Cathedral recording is still Soul Sacrifice 12".

And yeah, congratulations with the new site.

Iceicelet
Neophyte
Iceicelet
Neophyte

08 Aug 2010, 13:05 #4

Greetings everyone!
I have been a Cathedral fan since...hmm...2005/2006, when 'The Garden Of Unearthly Delights" really came out. Yes, I know it might seem like a bit too late, but I don`t think it was too late because I got acquanted with such a great music and I tried to grasp everything related to it ... Cathedral got me into doom metal! Since then I consider myself like a Cathedral fan Nr.1 (in my area, of course) as Im really grateful them for such a great musical experience! ;)

Cheers and congratulations with the new site and forum! :D
...falling mist...

Vulnavia
Neophyte
Vulnavia
Neophyte

08 Aug 2010, 15:22 #5

Hi, I just joined today as I noticed on Facebook that this forum is finally up and running - yay!
I'm here because I LOVE Cathedral, obviously, and have done for a long time. :wub: I like pretty much everything they've recorded, and the divine Mr Dorrian is one of my favourite metal singers, his voice is totally unique and suits the music perfectly.

I am desperate to see them play live as I have not had that pleasure yet. I think I will faint when I do :rolleyes:

ivofriul
Neophyte
ivofriul
Neophyte

09 Aug 2010, 07:46 #6

Hi,
I've been hooked by Cathedral sometime in the 90's when the "Hopkins" video was frequent on Headbanger's ball. Since then I totally worshipped everything from them.
In 1999 I saw them live in small club with Orange Goblin and Terrafirma. After a unique show I spent hours with the guys enjoying beers and company.
Last summer saw them again in a open arena. Still great!
now I am looking forward to see them during November European tour.

what else can I say: Lee Dorrian is God.
cheers everyone!

Ivo

Vulnavia
Neophyte
Vulnavia
Neophyte

09 Aug 2010, 10:21 #7

Hi Ivofruil! I thought I'd find you here too :lol:

Tombsmoker
Neophyte
Tombsmoker
Neophyte

09 Aug 2010, 22:57 #8

Iceicelet @ Aug 8 2010, 07:05 AM wrote: Greetings everyone!
I have been a Cathedral fan since...hmm...2005/2006, when 'The Garden Of Unearthly Delights" really came out. Yes, I know it might seem like a bit too late, but I don`t think it was too late because I got acquanted with such a great music and I tried to grasp everything related to it ... Cathedral got me into doom metal! Since then I consider myself like a Cathedral fan Nr.1 (in my area, of course) as Im really grateful them for such a great musical experience! ;)

Cheers and congratulations with the new site and forum! :D

It's NEVER too late. Welcome to the Coven... it is still the coven right? The board is named cosmic funeral and it confuses me.
Ashes you leave...

Tombsmoker
Neophyte
Tombsmoker
Neophyte

09 Aug 2010, 23:08 #9

Vulnavia @ Aug 8 2010, 09:22 AM wrote:
I am desperate to see them play live as I have not had that pleasure yet. I think I will faint when I do :rolleyes:

no amount of youtube does the band justice. Hope you get to see them, it is spectacular (even the shorter set they played here in the states... a half hour doesn't do Cathedral justice either).
Ashes you leave...

Vulnavia
Neophyte
Vulnavia
Neophyte

10 Aug 2010, 21:20 #10

Thanks Tombsmoker.
I have heard that iseeing them live is an awesome experience., and is not to be missed. Well, I'm really glad the band are active again, and I'm going to try really hard to get to see them this year.