Information: We've moved, and this is now an archive board. You can find the new board at https://heavenlyhost.jcink.net/
Shadow Hakai
Mentor
Mentor

May 30th, 2018, 3:17 am #11

Okay, I'm kind of well rested now, so I'll say my piece.

Again, I really, really don't like Tapatalk's aesthetic, and while I'm really sad about losing (kind of) all of our data, jcink does seem like it is way more customizable and would serve as a suitable replacement, as we're able to replicate the original forum's feel. I agree with linking back to important topics in case discussions must be continued.

All in all, I'll register over a Jcink, using a slightly less important email. Also, will our member titles be granted again? I worked my ass off to get this Cameraman title :<

Ajogamer
Survivor
Survivor

May 30th, 2018, 3:41 am #12

Far as member titles go, I'll definitely set them up again if we stick with that forum, though granting them again is something I'd have to look into a bit more and consider before I can say anything definite one way or the other.

Rebecca Ashford
Lone Wolf
Lone Wolf

May 30th, 2018, 6:50 am #13

I'm liking the jcink forum better personally the main issue is possible user loss

but if you post it to the discord you should be ok

3DS Friend Code! 1564-4805-2990(pm me if you wish to add me!)

JOIN MY DISCORD
https://discord.gg/2bXhCTR
we have a lot of members and were very active come join us!

Ajogamer
Survivor
Survivor

June 4th, 2018, 8:07 pm #14

So at this point, I think it's safe to say the overall opinion's overwhelmingly in favor of moving to Jcink over using Tapatalk (in reading the discussion on the Zetaboard support forums and playing around with what both Jcink and Tapatalk have to offer, I'm feeling more and more like that's the best idea as well). So I think I can officially say at this point that we'll be moving over to the Jcink recreation of the forums rather than sticking with Tapatalk. Until the move to Tapatalk occurs, we can still continue using the forum over here on Zetaboards as the main one, though keep in mind that if you want any posts or topics to be on the Jcink version of the forums, the only way to do so is to either need to either move the discussion or recreate them over there.

So first off, for any unaware, Rohzek and I have done a lot of work on the Jcink version of the forums since my last post in this topic, and it's now set up to be extremely close to what we have over here, along with having our two main themes fully converted. enigmaopoiea also went ahead and created additional custom buttons for the ones we needed, so far as themes go, they should now be 100% complete!

Since most of that forum groundwork is now done with, I want to shift the discussion to moving over and creating archives of threads over on the Jcink forums, as that's likely the next big thing that will eventually need doing. I want to see how the community feels in terms of how far we should go in recreating threads on the new forum.

So first, one thing I'd like to note:

Every topic will still be around and remain as an archive on the Tapatalk forum when the conversion happens, so when I talk about recreating threads, I mean one of the following:

1. Copying over all the more important/notable posts from a thread (this would probably be rarer, and mainly in the case of stickies or infodump topics).

2. creating a new thread that has a link to the archive topic, along with the original post, (this is likely what I'd be doing more, especially for any topics focused more on discussion).

So to make this simpler, I'm going to divide this into 3 categories. Threads I currently plan to archive, Threads I don't plan to archive, and threads I'm unsure about. I'm mainly looking for feedback for the ones I'm less sure about, though feel free to comment on anything and everything that you'd to, since all feedback's welcome.

Things I'm definitely archiving:
- Any still-relevant stickies
- data dump topics with still-useful info
- A few of the more popular/still relevant discussion threads (I wouldn't mind opinions on where I should draw the line for which of these to archive, however)
- Everything in the "Polls" section (these are easy to build new discussion off of, and it's nice having a record of previous poll results)

Things I won't bother archiving:
- Any more personal threads (such as introduction threads, RP threads, and art topics - these don't seem fitting for me to copy over, and they can all be remade by the original thread creator should they want to)
- Short threads that were never much of a discussion in the first place (for example, simple question threads in which the question was quickly answered)

Things I'm unsure about archiving (these are the ones I'm most looking for feedback on):

- Smaller/long inactive discussion threads - Some could potentially still be interesting as an archive, but it would be a lot of work to archive large amounts of these. In addition, I wonder how much point there would be unless we actually planned to continue the discussion, since the archives would still be available to view on the Tapatalk version of the forum, and the any new threads on Jcink would simply the original post with a link to those archive threads. As a result, those new threads may ultimately seem more like clutter, unless people were to actually continue discussion in them. I suppose if people think I should archive some of these, a possible middle ground could be to only archive the initial 1-2 pages of each forum section, since that would probably grab many the smaller threads that have had some more recent activity (even then though, I'm unsure if it'd be worth going that far with any smaller forum sections that may only have 1-2 pages of topics total).

- Fan game topics - Now, I'm sure I want to archive some of these, so the question's really just where to draw the line. I'll most likely recreate any "Completed Fangame" topics, since their completed status makes them more worth archiving, though I'm unsure whether I also want to remake the various Demo-only fangame threads. I think there isn't much reason to archive the ones that were only concepts, at least. In any case, One other thing in regards to fangames is that when possible, I'd prefer that the original creators remake their fangame's thread over me doing so in their place.

One last thing I'd also like to mention is that when possible, I'd generally prefer the original creator of a thread to be the one to archive or recreate it themselves, both since it makes for a nicer-looking archive (since the thread creator's name matches the original post), and since that would allow the thread creator to still have the ability to edit the original post, should they have any need to. In fact, if anyone wants to archive any of their previous threads, feel free to go ahead and recreate them along with copying over any relevant posts whenever you'd like.

Anyway, I think that about covers it far as my current thoughts are concerned. Hopefully this gives people a better idea of what I currently have in mind when it comes to archiving posts; likewise, I'd appreciate hearing any thoughts of feedback anyone here has in regards to all this.

June 6th, 2018, 12:10 am #15

Looks like it might be time for me to look into porting some of my fangame threads over. Here's what I'm looking at so far:

[Completed Games]
Seal - Eternal Cycle
Corpse Party Zero Guide (may need new screenshots; old ones don't exist anymore and had no backups)

[Demos]
Fatal Operation
Zero Hope
The Dragon Mask

[???] (not sure where to place, since one version is complete while the other is a demo)
Depths of Despair + Nightmare Edition

Also, I think the resources thread should at least be linked to. It might also be good for a mod or someone like that to make the first post and a reserved post or two, so that mod could clean up/expand the lists every once in a while.

Ajogamer
Survivor
Survivor

June 6th, 2018, 12:47 am #16

Far as Depths of Despair + Nightmare Edition goes, I'd probably lean toward having it in the Completed Games section myself, since that's where people'll look if they're planning to look into or play some completed fangames, plus the Nightmare Edition's a remake, so even being in the Completed Games section, it seems reasonable to be a part of the same thread.

Far as the resources thread is concerned, I definitely agree that's a pretty important one to port over. enigmaopoia actually offered to do so recently, and is slowly working on compiling it all before posting it on the new forum. If it'd be helpful to you and others though, I could go ahead and make a thread on the new forums that's nothing but a link to the old one, as a placeholder until enigmaopoia's compiled version is ready (which would then be deleted and replaced by Enigma's thread when the time comes).

Ajogamer
Survivor
Survivor

July 1st, 2018, 7:48 pm #17

So, I wanted to announce that we now have a rough estimate for this forum being converted to Tapatalk. I recently got an email that said the forum migration is planned to start within the next few weeks. So it's still not a precise date, but it's likely safe to say it'll happen sometime within July.

In any case, I'm quite happy with the replacement board we have set up on Jcink at this point, so I'm making it official and requesting that anyone that still has an interest in these forums moves over to the following board:

https://heavenlyhost.jcink.net/index.php

Of course, just as with the current forums, registration's open to everyone and people are always free to come and go as they please, so there's no urgent rush to register, but I do want to at least make sure everyone at knows where we'll be moving to and is able to find us.

In addition, I'm still in the process of moving over more important posts and threads; a lot of the ones I plan to already have been, but even when I'm just moving over stickies and a few bigger discussion/infodump threads, it still takes a while, so know that's something I'm still working on. That said, everyone else is also free to move over threads, so feel free to do so if you see any threads I missed that you feel are worth moving over, or that you simply want to have an archive or recreation of on the new forums.