Information: We've moved, and this is now an archive board. You can find the new board at https://heavenlyhost.jcink.net

New rules for the Shoutbox

Ajogamer
Survivor
Survivor

11:40 PM - Sep 09, 2014 #1

As some of you may have noticed, the Shoutbox now has the following set of guidelines placed above it:
wrote:Please use the Shoutbox only for announcements and shorter exchanges. Longer conversations should be held in the Chatroom, Chatroom Topic, or PMs.
This was decided on due to the fact that the Shoutbox was frequently being used more like a chatroom, which is not only beyond its intended purpose, but also makes it harder to use for things aside from general chatting. To clarify a bit more, the Shoutbox should mainly be used for stuff directed to the entire site, like announcements, questions and one-off thoughts you want to let the entire site know, and then the occasional shorter exchange here or there relating to those things.

To define "shorter exchanges" a bit better, I'd classify that as any conversations that extend anywhere from a couple messages to a single page in the Shoutbox, and also includes stuff like general questions to the site's members, or a simple 1-2 message thought you may want to share with the entire site. While I don't plan to be overly strict in enforcing this, I request that everyone is mindful of these guidelines, and tries to do most of their more personal general chatting in places other than the Shoutbox.

If anyone has any thoughts or confusion about any of this, feel free to voice it here.

Skybird
Mentor
Mentor

11:54 AM - Sep 12, 2014 #2

Concerning the mobile use of the Chatango chatroom, which is the preferred way to chat with other forum members, instead of using the shoutbox for longer conversations, I have found two browsers which functions well enough to use the chatroom.

For Android:
  • Mercury Browser
  • Google Chrome
Changing the "User Agent" settings of the browser, it is able to access the Chatango chatroom which is otherwise unusable on Android mobile. I suggest using the "iPad" or "iPhone" setting for User Agent in Mercury Browser, but more so for "iPad" for easier use. Desktop mode also works, but for my phone, those previous two options work better.

For iOS:
  • As far as I know, since I haven't checked, Mercury and Google Chrome works with the same method as Android.
  • Safari (iOS seems to be able to use the Chatroom just fine. If not, kindly correct me. Thank you Souly for mentioning this about Safari.)
If you have other browsers that can access the Chatroom, you may mention them here.
[+] Spoiler
For more information about browser compatibility, I recommend using Browserstack.
That way, and previously selecting the browsers you want to test, the webpage will generate screenshots of the pages on the selected devices.
[+] Spoiler
Just select the browser (Chrome, Firefox...), the browser version and the device and/or OS.

Leaving the browser compatibility aside, the Adobe Flash plugin is absolutely necessary to use the chatroom.
Latest version of Adobe Flash (http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/).

However, I recommend changing the flash version to a HTML5 compatible version (http://chatango.com/help?help_group_owner#html5). Seems that Chatango already provides HTML5 code, and the use of this version will fix the device compatibility problems.
Meanwhile, just adding "?js" to the URL will automatically change the flash to HTML5 for you.
Example (HTML5 version URL): http://w11.zetaboards.com/corpseparty/p ... atroom/?js
[ - Gran is the real deal. - ]

Souly
Teacher
Teacher

12:10 PM - Sep 12, 2014 #3

I just checked now; and I can access the chatroom just fine from the Safari browser on my iPod as well. (I have vr. 6.1.6)

Ah? Ah? What's wrong with a little f i l t h in your life?

Cain Marder
Underdog
Underdog

12:12 PM - Sep 12, 2014 #4

I'm on Google from the tablet xD
[+] Spoiler
" ... You welcome, I love you ... Ima gonna die now... Oh shit, here they come, I'm fuckin' dead, this car has no traction... NOO!! Don't kill me!! Anything but this! WHY I'M MAKIN' DONUTS?!?!"

" This keer !!!"

Skybird
Mentor
Mentor

12:13 PM - Sep 12, 2014 #5

Ah, yes. I think iOS can view and use the Chatroom fine on its own, since Android has the "iPhone" and "iPad" User Agent settings that makes the Chatroom usable on Android. It fools the system into thinking the Android device is an iOS one, which can view the contents.

Thank you for mentioning it, Souly!

@sniper: Google Chrome, right? I'm glad it works fine. Did you try using the Chatroom using the browser?

L3Z4
Pupil
Pupil

12:40 PM - Sep 12, 2014 #6

For more information about browser compatibility, I recommend using Browserstack.
That way, and previously selecting the browsers you want to test, the webpage will generate screenshots of the pages on the selected devices.
[+] Spoiler
Just select the browser (Chrome, Firefox...), the browser version and the device and/or OS.

Leaving the browser compatibility aside, the Adobe Flash plugin is absolutely necessary to use the chatroom.
Latest version of Adobe Flash (http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/).

However, I recommend changing the flash version to a HTML5 compatible version (http://chatango.com/help?help_group_owner#html5). Seems that Chatango already provides HTML5 code, and the use of this version will fix the device compatibility problems.
Meanwhile, just adding "?js" to the URL will automatically change the flash to HTML5 for you.
Example (HTML5 version URL): http://w11.zetaboards.com/corpseparty/p ... atroom/?js
Tumblr/dgtranslations Twitter (@itssarabruh) Twitch.tv

Skybird
Mentor
Mentor

12:51 PM - Sep 12, 2014 #7

@L3Z4: When using the HTML5 version URL of the chatroom, would it still require Flash? Or did you mean that no matter what, HTML5 or not, Flash is needed for the chatroom to work, especially for mobile?

L3Z4
Pupil
Pupil

12:56 PM - Sep 12, 2014 #8

SkyBird027 wrote:@L3Z4: When using the HTML5 version URL of the chatroom, would it still require Flash? Or did you mean that no matter what, HTML5 or not, Flash is needed for the chatroom to work, especially for mobile?
While using the HTML5 version, flash is not needed. That will fix the device compatibility problem (except for very old devices).
Tumblr/dgtranslations Twitter (@itssarabruh) Twitch.tv

Skybird
Mentor
Mentor

1:00 PM - Sep 12, 2014 #9

I see. I tested it on another phone and indeed, it works. But for the possibility of not working on some devices, the browsers for Android specified above does almost, if not the same, works as using the HTML5 link. Changing the User Agent fixes the chatroom to work for the browser/device.

Thank you for replying back, L3Z4.

Ajogamer
Survivor
Survivor

3:07 PM - Sep 12, 2014 #10

Thanks for the help on finding ways to solve the compatibility issues, everyone! The HTML 5 version seems to work pretty well overall, being pretty close to how the chatroom performs in the flash version, so that seemed like a good solution. I slightly preferred the flash version myself (seemed like the HTML5 version was more set up for phones and such, with bigger font and the like), so I didn't want to completely replace the flash version. As a result, I decided to have link to both, by adding a new message to the shoutbox's description. If anyone still has any issues with the chatroom even after this though, then feel free to let me know.