Information: We've moved, and this is now an archive board. You can find the new board at https://heavenlyhost.jcink.net

Corpse Party (PC): Chapter 1

moneko
Bones
Bones

11:34 PM - May 26, 2018 #1

Recently I got ahold of what appears to be a copy of the PC edition of BloodCovered Chapter 1, which is strange because up until just a few weeks ago I didn't know it existed (according to the Corpse Party Wiki, the first physical volume of the PC game was the Chapter 1+2 disc).

I was a little skeptical about it being legitimate at first, but I did some digging and found a few mentions of it on the old GrisGris blog. I wondering if anyone had ever heard of it before.

http://gris2.blog70.fc2.com/blog-entry-85.html

enigmaopoeia
Survivor
Survivor

2:01 AM - May 27, 2018 #2

It is legitimate as I also own it myself.

Regarding the Japanese version, here are all of the PC versions of the game that has been released physically:
  • Corpse Party: BloodCovered 1+2
  • Corpse Party: BloodCovered 3
  • Corpse Party: BloodCovered 3 Append Disc
  • Corpse Party: BloodCovered 1+2+3 Limited Edition
  • Corpse Party: BloodCovered 4
  • Corpse Party: BloodCovered 4 (Another Jacket Version)
  • Corpse Party: BloodCovered 5
~ enigmaopoeia

moneko
Bones
Bones

2:44 AM - May 27, 2018 #3

Thanks!

enigmaopoeia
Survivor
Survivor

3:48 AM - May 27, 2018 #4

Ah, I never saw the picture before on the first post and it just loaded for me.

That's a very unusual cover. I am usually used to the DVD-sized box with Naomi on it, like so. (Yours is a CD-sized box which I never seen before!) Is it possible for you to take more pictures of it because I am curious about this one.
~ enigmaopoeia

moneko
Bones
Bones

5:13 AM - May 27, 2018 #5

Sure. Here are some more images of the back and interior of the box, as well as the "Read Me" text file from the disc. The text file indicates that this was apparently distributed at Comiket 73.
I've also made a quick scan of the paper insert so that the text is clearer; apologies if the quality isn't the best.
[+] Spoiler

Scan: http://www.mediafire.com/file/2nmh2dtmw ... rtscan.png

As you mentioned, the unusual packaging was something I also found strange, as well as the fact that the disc is completely barren of any sort of printing whatsoever, unlike the Chapter 1+2 editions onward. So I thought that maybe what could have happened was that someone copied the game files from the original disc onto a different, blank one. Also, the paper insert is odd in that the edges are shaped in a way as though someone cut it out by hand, which also led me to think that this might be a fake.
However I considered the possibility that the lower production quality might be simply due to the fact that these were handmade to be sold only at Comiket, and were never intended for a wider release like future physical releases.

In regards to the game itself, I can post more screenshots or possibly send you the files in a little while if you are interested. I've only played through about 1/3 of the chapter so far but there were some interesting things I noticed that I'm not sure are present in the later Chapter 1 + 2 version, since I don't own it (although I do own Chapter 3, and it's definitely changed in that).
[+] Spoiler

_________________________________.txt (2.01 KiB)

enigmaopoeia
Survivor
Survivor

12:25 PM - May 27, 2018 #6

Yeah, I am believing this must be the CD that was sold at Comiket 73 which is quite cool because I personally have never seen it before. Seems that you can buy it online as well. So good job on having this piece of history!!

Personally, I am curious what changes was made from BloodCovered 1 to BloodCovered 1+2...

EDIT: I was curious about the changes, so I have added screenshots for those curious between the Corpse Party BloodCovered Cover.1 to an unpatched version of Corpse Party BloodCovered 1+2:
[+] Spoiler

^ CHANGES:
1.) GrisGrisEngine Ver2 updated to GrisGrisEngine Ver2.2.
2.) Copyright changed from 2007 to 2008.
3.) Removed "Cover.1".

^ CHANGES:
1.) You can now select your Chapter, since Chapter 2 was also included.

^ CHANGES:
1.) Ver.0.1 was updated to Ver.2.0.
2.) Seiko was now added to the update.
3.) The position of the cast was moved around to include Seiko.

^ CHANGES:
1.) Ryou was replaced with Sachiko.
2.) In the older version, the blue spirit of the corpse is now at the very top where Sachiko was.
3.) Added the speaker's name "*" to the corpse.
4.) The corpse has a different sprite.
EDIT2: Made corrections to the above thanks to moneko!
~ enigmaopoeia

moneko
Bones
Bones

12:29 AM - May 29, 2018 #7

Wow, this is pretty cool! Thanks for providing comparison shots!

By the way, for the fourth set, the blue spirit in the corner is actually the spirit of the corpse, who moves there once Ryou enters the room from the door on the right. Ryou then proceeds to attack the spirit, who then disappears.

Sachiko actually does not appear in this chapter at all, as far as I could tell. I couldn't find any trace of a Sachiko sprite in the files, either.

EDIT: Also the sprite for the corpse looks a little different, too.

enigmaopoeia
Survivor
Survivor

4:02 AM - May 29, 2018 #8

I am slowly doing comparison screenshots of Chapter 1 for those interested. Do note that I am currently comparing the Comiket 73 version of Corpse Party BloodCovered Cover.1 with the unpatched version of Corpse Party BloodCovered 1+2. (Do note that any files that are from Chapter 2 is not included in this comparison.)

NOTE: When it comes to the screenshots, the Comiket 73 version (abbreviated as BC1) is on left/top and BloodCovered 1+2 (abbreviated as BC1+2) is on the right/bottom.
[+] Spoiler
GAME FOLDER:
  • "GrisGrisEngine Ver2" in BC1 has been updated to "GrisGrisEngine Ver2.2" in BC1+2.
  • The Readme "はじめにお読みください.txt" has been updated to reflect newer changes.
  • BC1 has a "project.dat" and "Srexhsp.dll" files in the main folder that were moved to different folders in BC1+2. The "project.dat" file moved to the "event" folder [later called "chap1" in BC1+2]. And "Srexhsp.dll" file moved to the "plugin" folder.
  • Both games have the same amount of BGM, event/chap1, mapchip, plugin, SE, and SYSSE files.
  • The graphics were expanded in the chara and mapchip folders from BC1 to BC1+2.
  • In the faces folder, BC1 had a lot of unused faces that were removed in BC1+2 (due to them not appearing until later in the Chapters). This includes "06_yuka_d.bmp", "06_yuka_e.bmp", "06_yuka_f.bmp", "06_yuka_g.bmp", "06_yuka_k.bmp", "09_kizami_a.bmp", and "09_kizami_b.bmp".
  • Save data is saved in the main folder in BC1, but in BC1+2, it goes into the "save_data" folder.
SPRITES & GRAPHICS:
  • The door in "14_tobira01.bmp" has been flipped.
  • The glowing purple object in "32_ita.bmp" is animated in BC1+2.

^ Ms. Yui in "07_yui.bmp" has her eyebrows lowered and her bangs slightly changed in BC1+2.

^ The black mist in "34_kage.bmp" now has a red outline and is less detailed in BC1+2.

^ The toilet in "36_toilet.bmp" is more white and visible in BC1.

CONFIG.EXE:

• Interestingly enough, both images say "Corpse Party BloodCovered Cover.1". "Cover.1" is also featured in Ver2.5 patch for Corpse Party BloodCovered 1+2. It only got removed in Corpse Party BloodCovered 3.
  • They changed the word "Cancel [X]" to "Cancel/Menu [X]"
  • They replaced "Pause" with "Message Speed".
  • BC1+2 included a "Supplementary Processing (In the case lines appear)" option.
  • BC1+2 included a "Rename Protagonist" option where you can change Satoshi Mochida's name to anything you like.
I will take more screenshots later on!
~ enigmaopoeia

Shadow Hakai
Mentor
Mentor

4:36 AM - May 29, 2018 #9

My eyes are glued to this thread

NEW CONTENT NEW CONTENT NEW C

enigmaopoeia
Survivor
Survivor

6:39 AM - May 29, 2018 #10

Okay, I am comparing the game portions. Do note that I cannot compare every single thing out there, like any differences in audio (background music and SFX), screen changes (fade-outs, camera panning, etc.), and other minor stuff. So basically I am mainly gonna focus on graphics and script. Also when it comes to the script, I will be using XSEED's translation of the PSP game so long as it matches BC1+2. (Only due to the fact that I don't have the translated PC script on hand.) If there are any slight changes in the script, I'll try my best to reflect them in the dialogue changes.

NOTE: When it comes to the screenshots, the Comiket 73 version (abbreviated as BC1) is on left and BloodCovered 1+2 (abbreviated as BC1+2) is on the right.
[+] Spoiler
  • Copyright changed from "2007" to "2008" in BC1+2.
  • Removed "Cover.1" on the title in BC1+2.
  • You can now select your Chapter, since Chapter 2 was also included in BC1+2.
  • The F1 key is the death key when playing the game. Basically it messes up all of your graphics thus forcing you to restart.
  • The opening pans one tile higher after Ayumi's candle scene in BC1+2.
  • The candle has a bluish hue underneath it in BC1.
  • Screen position has been changed so now you can see all of the students in BC1+2.
  • Changed dialogue:
    - BC1: "It's a charm. If we do it right..."
    - BC1+2: "It's a charm that comes with a series of ghost stories that I found on the internet a little while ago. If we do it right..."
  • After the students ripped the Sachiko charm, it is still visible in BC1.
  • Changed dialogue:
    - BC1: "B-Big brother! I'm scared!"
    - BC1+2: "B-Big brother!"
  • Satoshi's face is visible in BC1+2.
  • Ms. Yui and Naomi are facing each other in BC1+2. Also Seiko faces Ms. Yui for a moment in BC1+2, but Seiko kept looking up in BC1.
  • Naomi is accidentally positioned on top of a table in BC1. This has been fixed in BC1+2.
  • You can see the right side of the screen more in BC1+2.
  • BC1 has a pause screen which allows you to continue playing the game or go to the title screen. This has been replaced with a proper menu in BC1+2.
  • Seiko changed positions.
  • Also the pillar has been replaced with a hidden door behind the cabinet in BC1.
  • Changed dialogue:
    - BC1: "Classmates testify that _____-grader __________ was on her way home from school, but got separated from her friends and hasn't been seen since."
    - BC1+2: "Classmates testify that fifth-grader __________ was on her way home from school, but got separated from her friends in the hall and hasn't been seen since."

• Changed dialogue:
    - BC1:
    [Heavenly Host Elementary - Notice to All Faculty and Students] Due to the recent kidnappings, caution is highly recommended during all daily activities.
    In each instance, the victim was taken quickly and unexpectedly, so please remain alert and aware at all times. -Principal Takamine Yanagihori
    Naomi: "...?"
    Naomi: "No time for that now. I've got to check on Seiko!"
    - BC1+2:
    There's some sort of official-looking printout pinned to the wall.
    Naomi: "...?"
    Naomi: "No time for that now. I've got to check on Seiko!"
  • Naomi and Seiko changed positions due to Seiko's placement.
  • Naomi moved closer to the windows in BC1.
  • There is a typo in BC1, which has been fixed.
  • The cast are animated in BC1+2 as they walk in place, they just stand still in BC1.
  • "Ver.0.1" was updated to "Ver.2.0".
  • Seiko was now added to BC1+2.
  • The position of the cast was moved around to include Seiko.
  • Moved the text so everything fit to two lines in BC1+2.
  • Moved Yuka's school year to the second line for easier reading in BC1+2.
I'll get more comparisons in by tomorrow. Enjoy!
~ enigmaopoeia