Information: We've moved, and this is now an archive board. You can find the new board at https://heavenlyhost.jcink.net

[CF] Help me decide on a font for CORPSE-PARTY -Cross Fear-

enigmaopoeia
Survivor
Survivor

April 17th, 2013, 9:57 am #1

We are now working on translating CORPSE-PARTY -Cross Fear- and we got the English font to work, however I am stuck between two choices of the font for the games. Here are how they look like:

^ Font #1: This font is based off the CORPSE-PARTY font used in the title.

^ Font #2: This font is based off the -Cross Fear- font used in the title.

The size of the font is not the issue, it's more of an issue of clarity and accessibility. I want this game to be readable to everyone, so what do you feel is the best font?
~ enigmaopoeia

URV
Overseer
Overseer
URV
Overseer
Overseer

April 17th, 2013, 10:13 am #2

Clearly the first one. The second font looks all neat and stylized, but we're looking for a font that's easy to read. Thus, the first font (or anything like that) would be a better choice.

DeathkaiserG
Caretaker
Caretaker

April 17th, 2013, 12:40 pm #3

i agree that the 1st one is better

the 2nd one is nice but a bit "dramatic" XD

"It is way easier to sneak past a dead person."
-- Killian (Killian Experience)

EatableFan
Fool
Fool

April 17th, 2013, 1:22 pm #4

also going with the first one.
the second looks all nice but in the long term itll just strain the eyes.

Ist Kisaragi
Teacher
Teacher

April 17th, 2013, 1:42 pm #5

Though I prefer style wise the second one, when it comes to how easy you can access and read it, I really do say the first font is overall better. (Though an option to switch somehow between the two fonts certainly sounds like a better idea, though that's just my own personal opinion.)
Whether by Windblast or by choke hold, whether by the steel of my Folding Blade or the swiftness of Blink, whether by Possession or by the power of thine Pistol, none shall evade either my Wrath, or my Mercy. For the Outsider gazes from his Void, the fate of all, are in the hands of those, marked by him.

April 17th, 2013, 2:36 pm #6

1st one, as I think it's more practical, and if I'm honest, I think the cold, non-dramatic font suits the emotionless feeling of Heavenly Host more. Then again, I haven't seen this Cross-fear thing, so I can't speak from experience of the second font.

Morishige.
Mayu and Morishige - Forever apart
Sachiko's worst torture

Diabolic
Cameraman
Cameraman

April 17th, 2013, 2:49 pm #7

I gotta go with the first, the second seems more like it should be used for dramatic scenes and stuff like that, though I do like it.

Ajogamer
Survivor
Survivor

April 17th, 2013, 3:23 pm #8

I agree with the others that the first would be better to go with.

While both fonts look kinda decent, I think it's generally best to have a simpler font when you're going to be doing quite a lot of reading with it, since more stylized fonts may get a bit annoying after awhile, both because certain people may have a bit more difficulty reading it, and cause more stylized fonts can potentially influence the 'feel' of the text.

The sorts of situations I'd use more stylized fonts is when you either want something to stick out, such as a title screen, or character yelling, or for something in which you want to give text a different feel, such as a hand-written note, or a ghost's creepy voice.

DeathkaiserG
Caretaker
Caretaker

April 17th, 2013, 3:30 pm #9

Ajogamer wrote:The sorts of situations I'd use more stylized fonts is when you either want something to stick out, such as a title screen, or character yelling, or for something in which you want to give text a different feel, such as a hand-written note, or a ghost's creepy voice.
i remember the game "mad father" doing that

yeah, it adds tension XD

"It is way easier to sneak past a dead person."
-- Killian (Killian Experience)

enigmaopoeia
Survivor
Survivor

April 17th, 2013, 6:23 pm #10

I knew that Font #1 would win, but I still wanted a general opinion before deciding. So now we'll start working on translating the game.
psp-ist wrote:(Though an option to switch somehow between the two fonts certainly sounds like a better idea, though that's just my own personal opinion.)
It would be nice to give people that option, but the problem would lie between spacing issues since both font are displayed in different sizes, so to make them both the same size would make one font appear unnecessarily larger.
Diabolic wrote:I gotta go with the first, the second seems more like it should be used for dramatic scenes and stuff like that, though I do like it.
I would love to do that, but I'm afraid that RPG Maker XP does not allow people to use two different fonts. But if I can, I'll definitely see if I can do that; use Font #2 for more dramatic scenes.

Thank you for your input, everyone!
~ enigmaopoeia