Moderator: CTX Advisor

Ofcom to legalise AM and SSB CB apparatus

October 19th, 2012, 3:02 pm #1

Ofcom to legalise AM and SSB CB apparatus
Ofcom has announced that it intends to legalise AM and SSB CB apparatus, subject to the MOD agreeing to the use of spectrum allocated to it. According to the statement on the Ofcom website, the relevant ECC Decision about harmonising CB across Europe should probably be implemented in the UK by the end of 2013. The statement indicates that there are several legislative and other steps that must first be carried out. It also points out that, until these changes are implemented, it will remain an offence to install or use AM, SSB or any other CB apparatus other than in accordance with the current exemption regulations and Interface Requirement. The full Ofcom statement is at http://tinyurl.com/Ofcom-SSB-CB.
26CT695

October 19th, 2012, 3:50 pm #2

Only 30 years late :cheers: :beer: :beer: :beer: :muppetanim:

October 19th, 2012, 4:02 pm #3

Good news for the chaps out there as stated 30 years too late

October 19th, 2012, 4:32 pm #4

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:
26CT003 / 26TM003

CQ CQ This is 26CT003 - Somerset, Calling.........

VoG

October 19th, 2012, 5:07 pm #5

I still feel it is a case of "I'll believe it when I see it"[note]No, not doubting Mark's statement, simply expressing a dubious belief that they'll pull their finger out before 2081 or something. "I will believe AM and SSB has been made legal in the UK only when I see it in print on the Ofcom Website"[note]

I am surprised they're not saying that it will be made legal on 13 Dec 2012 (13/12/12). If they did then I would KNOW the Mayan Prophecies for the end of the world on 12/12/12 are to be taken seriously.

October 19th, 2012, 5:15 pm #6

End of 2013 gives them time to come up with a reason not to go through with the introduction.....

October 19th, 2012, 5:15 pm #7

it says only if the MOD agree to the change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! steve,
on ofcoms statement on the link.
mark.
26CT695

Deleted User
Deleted User

October 19th, 2012, 5:19 pm #8

wrote: it will remain an offence to install or use AM, SSB or any other CB apparatus other than in accordance with the current exemption regulations and Interface Requirement.
So your 30 year old Cobra/Stalker/Ham Int, President etc will still be a no-no - not a big suprise is it. I will also only believe it when I see it but, like I've said before, I do not think it's a good idea if I'm honest.

Deleted User
Deleted User

October 19th, 2012, 5:22 pm #9

wrote:it says only if the MOD agree to the change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Er, yeah...... This part of the spectrum is allocated to the MOD and whilst it's not used by them ATM this could change one way or the other I suppose.

Last edited by Guest on October 19th, 2012, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 19th, 2012, 6:10 pm #10

At least an offical statement of intent is better than an idle rumour. It suggests Ofcom is taking it seriously. We just have to allow the wheels and cogs to slowly turn.
wrote:Is it illegal to own AM/SSB CB kit?
You may be committing an offence if it could be shown that you have and intend to use AM-only equipment or the AM/SSB element of multimode equipment before we change the legislation and the IR
wrote: I got some AM/SSB kit off a bloke in the pub/eBay/mail order. Is it legal?
Equipment designed for use, for example, in the USA may well not conform to European requirements. Such equipment may not be used, even after the changes have been implemented. Any apparatus placed on the European market must bear the CE mark of conformity]
I was reading the link with great interest that rigs with a CE mark are allowed to be used on FM only at the moment and AM/SSB when regulations are changed. Excellent, I've just purchased a Jacko mk1 that has CE mark on the back and does the legal power. I'll just keep it on CEPT FM for now ;) I'm sure they had a CE certificate of compliance. And of course Jacko mk2 owners will be pleased :)

Not that people are going to use their old classics :D :o ;)
Last edited by Radio Pixie on October 19th, 2012, 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
73 from Dave the Pixie 26CT052 - G7OPC - CB & Ham Radioaficionado :)