Moderator: CTX Advisor

Joining CTX

June 7th, 2018, 9:09 am #1

Hi guys, I'm new to CT (only joined yesterday) and fairly new to ham radio (had my M6 for just over a month now). However, not new to radio operation and going up and down mountains/hills (12 years in the army) and using all modes of radio communication. I'm very keen in incorporating CTX into my SOTA (Summits on The Air) activations (does anybody else do this)? I've got 'all the gear and a bit of an idea' ha ha, and love being out and about on hills/mountains (when work permits) but mainly on Sundays, sometimes Thursdays.

I'm based in NE England near Durham and planning on my next activation (Rogans Seat) in the next week or two (once my knee is healed properly (I'm not 25 anymore!!!) from running down a mountain with weight on. Anyway, I'm waffling now, if anyone up this way (or indeed any where) has incorporated CTX with SOTA, then please give me a shout, or just give me a shout anyway with any tips etc etc, all info is gratefully received.

:cb: :cheers:
73's

Paul

M6OPV - 26CT2864

June 8th, 2018, 11:34 pm #2

Indeed some of the CTX guys are also Radio Amateurs and they do carry out both CTX and SOTA ops at the same time - with AM, FM and SSB legally at our disposal on 11m as well as PMR446 UHF, quite a bit to choose from and, if you use type approved kit on legal frequencies, there should be no conflict of interests :thumb:

In addition to the above, I can think of at least four or five ex-military guys who are also CTX members.

Last edited by Offplanet on June 9th, 2018, 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 10th, 2018, 9:49 am #3

Hi Gary, thanks for the reply. Thats great, I plan on taking a PMR (using ch8) with me on my next SOTA up on Rogans Seat (when the knees mended). Do I just post on the forum that I'm planning an activation and hope theres someone out there listening in? Do you know if theres much 'activity' up in my neck of the woods (North East England)? How many QSO's do I need to make for it to be successful and get a CTX C/S? Is there a set rule for Voice Procedure (ie announcing you're on frequency) on PMR/11M? Apologies for all the questions Gary, just like to get things right and not inadvertently put anyones noses out doing things wrong ha ha.

73's

Paul

M6OPV - 26CT2864

June 10th, 2018, 8:28 pm #4

Might well be some CTX ops in your area, but we need to do a CTX roll-call really as we do have members all over, but some never did anything after their first activation and others we've not heard from in years!

A bit more info on CTX :thumb:

How to become a CTX member: http://charlietango.co.uk/topic/7549629

About CTX: http://charlietango.co.uk/topic/7549505

If you're on Facebook, we also have a CTX page: https://www.facebook.com/CtxRadio

CTX is more about enjoying the outdoors and personal achievement (getting to tough locations and setting up a station) rather than filling log books and collecting points, so there's no stipulation or reward for the number of contacts made.

Indeed, if you're planning on heading out, post on the forum and perhaps the FB page and people will listen out for you :thumb:

Perhaps get your qualifier in first and aim to join in Delboy's 446 weekend on the 4th and 5th of August - something I'm hoping to do myself :thumb:

Delboy's pro-mo video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9VkSKXcKfY

June 11th, 2018, 10:46 am #5

Hi Gary, once again, thanks for the info, much appreciated. Once the knees better I will bung a post on here of where i'm going and hopefully manage to speak to someone. Thanks again for your help.

73's

Paul

M6OPV - 26CT2864

August 23rd, 2018, 8:51 pm #6

Hi Paul and Gary,

I have PM ref CTX membership as I do this sort of thing anyway. I have similarity again with other CTX members and I am regularly out in the countryside and have been since the early 70's then a career.

I tend to travel to locations. However, I have had to stop my 60 milers with 120lb in 10 hours due to health. Although I still do 30 miles cross country with required weight in now sadly 6.5 hours, blasted getting older thing.

The CTX is right up my street and no doubt I could provide some interesting photos of communicating which would probably be followed by a comment and pneumonic "WTF". All the best.