Dipole antennas

June 8th, 2018, 6:58 pm #1

Can I use a dipole antenna in the loft horrizontally?
Guessing you can like coaxial antennas....or not....?

June 8th, 2018, 7:54 pm #2

Will work, not sure how well but the only problem may be a tricky swr issue. Everything depends really on how spacious your loft is. Try to keep it in as much free space as possible would be what I would probably do. Also don't forget about the directional properties you will have best in 2 directions. The ends of each 1/2 of the dipole will be affected most in a negative way.
Steve

June 8th, 2018, 10:14 pm #3

time machine wrote:Will work, not sure how well but the only problem may be a tricky swr issue. Everything depends really on how spacious your loft is. Try to keep it in as much free space as possible would be what I would probably do. Also don't forget about the directional properties you will have best in 2 directions. The ends of each 1/2 of the dipole will be affected most in a negative way.
Steve
Thanks Steve

June 9th, 2018, 5:43 am #4

If your Dipole is in a 'straight line' horizontally, then it will be very directional.

If you can get it in an inverted V (ie upside down V shape), with the angle between the two elements (sides) of the dipole at 90 degrees, then it will be almost omnidirectional, and the radiation pattern will be oval shaped.
M6GFT ::: QRZ Page- http://www.qrz.com/db/M6GFT
All CT members are expected to use good operating procedure, good manners, and be friendly...Please do not chat on any calling frequencies, or use bad language on air, thank you it is appreciated.

June 9th, 2018, 8:12 pm #5

Read my post here which was posted in the antennas in restricted places thread.

http://charlietango.co.uk/single/?p=10069023&t=9061677
26CT1760 / M0GVZ