Information: This board is currently read-only.

5/16/18 Birmingham, AL Regions Tradition

April 21st, 2018, 12:41 pm #1

Wednesday, May 16th, 2018 7:00 AM

Regions Tradition
Greystone Golf and Country Club
4100 Greystone Dr, Birmingham, AL 35242

TICKETS: https://www.regionstradition.com/buy-tickets.php $20.00 for day ticket

THE VENUE :

THE EVENT:

Monday, May 14

Practice Rounds; Closed to the public
Tuesday, May 15

Practice Rounds; Closed to the public
Wednesday, May 16

Nick Saban, Gus Malzahn, Bo Jackson, Condoleeza Rice and other celebrities will participate in Wednesday's pro-am tournament at the Regions Tradition.

Wondering when Saban and others will tee off, and which PGA golfers they're paid with? Check out the schedule:

7:10amTommy Armour lll | Allen Greene (Auburn University AD)
7:20amBilly Andrade | Coach Connell Maynor (Alabama A&M University), Coach Donald Hill-Eley (Alabama State University)
7:30amFred Funk | Greg Byrne (University of Alabama AD)
7:40amJesper Parnevik | Coach Derek Mason (Vanderbilt University)
7:50amColin Montgomerie | Coach Matt Luke (Ole Miss)
8:00amDavid Toms | Bo Jackson (Greatest Athlete of All Time)
8:10amCorey Pavin | Tommy Tuberville (Former Auburn University Coach), Taylor Hicks (American Idol Winner)
8:20amSteve Stricker | Dr. Condoleezza Rice (Former Secretary of State)
8:30amMark O'Meara | Coach Kirby Smart (University of Georgia)
8:40amVijay Singh | Coach Gus Malzahn (Auburn University), Bill "Bubba" Bussey (Syndicated Radio Personality)
8:50amJerry Pate | Former University of Alabama QBs Greg McElroy, Jay Barker, John Parker Wilson, Brodie Croyle
9:00am Bernhard Langer | Coach Nick Saban (University of Alabama)
12:30pm
Lee Janzen | Mark Ingram (UAB AD)

Gates open: 7:00am

Military Apprecation Day! - All active and retired military, and their guests, will receive free grounds access upon arrival with valid military I.D..

NCR Celebrity Pro-Am
First tee time: 6:50am
Celebrity Putt for Children: 7:30-9:00am on the Putting Green
Photo opportunities with the College Football National Championship Trophy and your favorite mascots, Big Al, Aubie, and Blaze: Time TBD
Thursday, May 17

Military Appreciation Day! - All active and retired military, and their guests, will receive free grounds access upon arrival with valid military I.D.

First Round Championship Play
One-tee start
First tee time: 8:00am
Play ends: 5:00pm
Live coverage on Golf Channel, 11:30am - 2:30pm
Lexus Hole-in-One Shootout
5:00pm, 18th Hole
Friday, May 18

Military Appreciation Day! - All active and retired military, and their guests, will receive free grounds access upon arrival with valid military I.D.

Second Round Championship Play
One-tee start
First tee time: 8:00am
Play ends: 5:00pm
Live coverage on Golf Channel, 11:30am - 2:30pm
Shipt Yoga on the Green
5:30 - 7:00pm, The Watering Hole
Saturday, May 19

Gates open: 8:00am

Third Round Championship Play
Two-tee start
First tee time: 9:15am
Play ends: 4:00pm
Live coverage on Golf Channel, 2:00 - 4:00pm
Chuck the Hitman Trick Shot Show presented by MAGNA-KAMTEK
Immediately following play, Coca-Cola Spectator Village on the Driving Range
Preakness Party
5:00pm, Driving Range
Sunday, May 20

Gates open: 8:00am

Final Round Championship Play
Two-tee start
First tee time: 9:15am
Play ends: 4:00pm
Live coverage on Golf Channel, 2:00 - 4:00pm

DIRECTIONS :

HOTELS AND RESTAURANTS :

PLAYERS TO COMPETE:

2018 Pro Players Scheduled to Compete

John Daly

Fred Funk

Miguel Angel Jimenez

Tom Kite

Bernhard Langer - Winner of 2016 & 2017 Regions Tradition, 2017 Senior Open Championship, and 2017 Senior PGA Championship, World Golf Hall of Fame Member

Colin Montgomerie - World Golf Hall of Fame Member

Jesper Parnevik

Corey Pavin

Vijay Singh

Jeff Sluman

Steve Stricker

David Toms

Scheduled Celebrities to Compete:

CELEBRITIES
Coach Nick Saban

COACH NICK SABAN
UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA
CELEBRITY PRO-AM
CELEBRITY PUTT FOR CHILDREN

Coach Gus Mahlzahn

COACH GUS MALZAHN
AUBURN UNIVERSITY
CELEBRITY PRO-AM
Coach Kirby Smart

COACH KIRBY SMART
UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA
CELEBRITY PRO-AM
Dr. Condoleeza Rice

DR. CONDOLEEZZA RICE
FORMER SECRETARY OF STATE
CELEBRITY PRO-AM

Laura Rutledge

LAURA RUTLEDGE
ESPN REPORTER
Bo Jackson

BO JACKSON
GREATEST ATHLETE OF ALL TIME
CELEBRITY PRO-AM
Coach Derek Mason

COACH DEREK MASON
VANDERBILT UNIVERSITY
CELEBRITY PRO-AM

Coach Donald Hill-Eley

COACH DONALD HILL-ELEY
ALABAMA STATE UNIVERSITY
CELEBRITY PRO-AM

Coach Connell Maynor

COACH CONNELL MAYNOR
ALABAMA A&M UNIVERSITY
CELEBRITY PRO-AM
Taylor Hicks

TAYLOR HICKS
SINGER & AMERICAN IDOL WINNER
CELEBRITY PRO-AM

Greg McElroy

GREG MCELROY
SEC NETWORK & FORMER ALABAMA QUARTERBACK
CELEBRITY PRO-AM - CRIMSON FORE

AD Mark Ingram

MARK INGRAM
UAB DIRECTOR OF ATHLETICS
CELEBRITY PRO-AM

FB Bill Clark

COACH BILL CLARK
UAB FOOTBALL

Coach Rob Ehsan

COACH ROB EHSAN
UAB MEN'S BASKETBALL
TICKETS

PLAYERS

SUPPORTERS

CHARITY

CAST OF CHARACTERS:
John Kulcinich - guitar
Brian Less - keyboard
bass
drums

Taylor Hicks and John Daly at Saw's

Taylor on the Paul Finebaum Show

SETLIST:

The Thrill is Gone --------------at Saw's
Knocking On Heaven's Door ...........at Saw's

MEDIA:

1. CBS42

Taylor Hicks, John Daly Share Love of Music and Friendship
By: Chris Renkel
Updated: May 15, 2018

Mountain Brook, Ala. - (WIAT) -- On the surface the two men couldn't be more different. Taylor Hicks, the American Idol winner and musician. John Daly, the bad boy of golf, known for his big appetite and long drives. Believe it or not the two are close friends.

Tuesday, ahead of the Regions Tradition at Greystone, Daly and Hicks got together at Saw's Juke Joint in Mountain Brook, music being the mutual interest that brought the two men together.

2. 280 Reporter

Legends on the links: Celebrities tee it up at Regions Pro-Am

By Alec Etheredge
May 16, 2018
https://www.shelbycountyreporter.com/20 ... ns-pro-am/

HOOVER – It looked more like a Saturday in the fall with the amount of SEC football stars out at the Regions Tradition Celebrity Pro-Am, but it was a Wednesday in the spring.

Several of college football’s best from around the southeast and many more local celebs took part in the 2018 version of the pro-am at Greystone Golf and Country Club on Wednesday, May 16, ahead of the PGA Tour Champions first major of the year kicking off on Thursday.

While it was a day for the star-studded field to compete against each other and see who had the best golf game, it was also a day representing Children’s of Alabama and all of the charities that the tournament represents.

“This is a fun day, don’t have to go to the office, don’t have to work,” said Alabama head football coach Nick Saban. “We’re glad to be here. We’re very supportive of this event. I think it’s great for Birmingham, Alabama and Children’s hospital.”

Each celebrity group featured two children representing Children’s Hospital that got to walk alongside the celebrities and professional golfers in each group.

“This is one of the fun ones to get out and see the fans,” Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn said. “They do a first-class job at putting on an event.”

Some of the celebrities included SEC football coaches such as Saban, Malzahn, Kirby Smart, Matt Luke and Derek Mason. Also in attendance were former Alabama and Auburn players Bo Jackson, Greg McElroy, Jay Barker, Brodie Croyle and John Parker Wilson.

Tommy Tubberville, Taylor Hicks, Bill “Bubba” Bussey and Dr. Condoleezza Rice also took part in the pro-am.

All of them playing for a good cause, but also for bragging rights as highly competitive people.

“I enjoy golf,” Smart said. “I think you get your competitive juices flowing by how you play out here.”

For Smart, one challenger came to mind.

“Anytime you get out on the course, of course you like to compete with somebody. I’d say the guy two or three groups behind me is pretty competitive too. I played with him too,” Smart said referring to Saban. “I couldn’t talk back to him when he was my boss, but now I can. He’s enjoyable to play with, I like this sport and it’s for a great cause.”

Saban, who is one of the most competitive people in the world, has a little extra help on his side Thanks to lessons from Alabama men’s golf head coach Jay Sewell and newly crowned World No. 1 Justin Thomas also giving him pointers, Saban has two of the best teaching him the game.

Saban said he needs all of the help he can get, but when asked if he belonged with the professionals because of the high caliber teaching he said simply, “Not really,” with a chuckle and a smile.

“You gotta be an athlete first, and I’m second level at best,” he said still smiling.

Malzahn also couldn’t help but just laugh when talking about the competitiveness of the day.

“I’d like it to be more competitive, but this is just the fourth round of golf I’ve played since July, so I’m not going to be too competitive,” he said. “I’m just going to try to go out and enjoy the day.”

Whether any of them will prove their worth on the course throughout the day, Hicks, who is known for his musical talents, guaranteed Smart’s harmonica skills were much better than his golf game.

It’s a day of laughs thanks to jokes like that and the representation of Children’s Hospital that makes the event so special for so many to kick off a spectacular week of golf in Hoover.

3. AI.com

Miguel Angel Jimenez leads Regions Tradition after Thursday round at 8-under 64
May 17,

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/201 ... t_907.html

By Cheryl Wray
As the first round of the Regions Tradition at Greystone Golf and Country Club came to a close Thursday, Miguel Angel Jimenez led with an 8-under 64 in the first of the PGA Tour Champions' five major championships.

Gene Sauers, Wes Short Jr., Jerry Kelly and Joe Durant were tied for second at 66.

Two-time defending Regions Tradition champion Bernhard Langer closed with a birdie for a 70 to sit in a tie at the 27th position.

Langer has a record 10 senior major titles and has been almost unstoppable at the Greystone tournament; if he wins this weekend, he would be the first golfer to win three straight times since the tournament began in 1989.

Jimenez and the other golfers battled the impending bad weather much of the day, and sat through a rain delay of one hour and 17 minutes that came in around lunchtime.

Weather is expected to be a similar problem on Friday.

"The only hole I didn't play well, the 18th, but I missed my driver," Jimenez said after his round was completed.. "We were rushed looking at the weather coming or not and the gusting wind started to come in and I rushed myself."

Jimenez' Thursday was consistent, with birdies on the first four holes and a lead he wouldn't relinquish after the 13th hole.

Kelly said he was pleased with his early play.

"I haven't gotten off to a good start for a while, so it was really nice to get comfortable again," Kelly said. "I feel like I've been on edge for quite a few months. Just going to try and take it easy as it comes the rest of the way."

Mark Calcavecchia withdrew after 11 holes, citing issues related to a broken toe he recently suffered.

Check out some of the highlights from Thursday's round:

PGA TOUR Champions

@ChampionsTour
He knows a thing or two about senior majors.@gene_sauers, a former U.S. Senior Open champion, shoots 6-under 66 in Round 1 of the @RegionsTrad.

3:06 PM - May 17, 2018
See PGA TOUR Champions's other Tweets
Twitter Ads info and privacy

@ChampionsTour
???????@ScottMccarron holes out from the fairway for EAGLE!@RegionsTrad

1:23 PM - May 17, 2018
See PGA TOUR Champions's other Tweets
Twitter Ads info and privacy

@ChampionsTour
The putter is ?!@majimenez1964 shoots 30 on the front @RegionsTrad.

He's the 2-time defending champion @RegionsTrad.

So of course @BernhardLanger6 is already making birdies in Round 1.

The Regions Tradition started Wednesday with a pro-am featuring Alabama head football coach Nick Saban, Auburn coach Gus Malzahn, Bo Jackson, Taylor Hicks and other celebrities.

Friday's second round will begin with tee times at 7:45 a.m. CT. Among the notable pairings include Kelly, Durant and Fred Funk at 8:15; Steve Stricker, Vijay Singh and John Daly at 8:25 a.m.; Langer and Jay Haas at 8:35 a.m.; and Jimenez, Steve Stricker and Brandt Jobe at 8:35 a.m.

SOUL PATROL MEMORIES :

1. Taylor Hicks on Twitter
“Looking forward to the @RegionsTrad tomorrow! @rickandbubba @realtalk995 @SECNetwork”

2. Rick Karle
.@PGA_JohnDaly with @TaylorHicks at Saw's Juke Joint in Mountain Brook, AL on singing, @AlabamaFTBL coach Nick Saban and the new John Daly Gambling Airlines?
See them at @RegionsTrad this week! https://twitter.com/RickKarle/status/99 ... 72/video/1 Watch Video

3. Golf Channel
We’re having a great time with @TaylorHicks and @PGA_JohnDaly on our Facebook! Come check it out:

4. Justin Unell
It's @TaylorHicks warming up for FB Live w/ @PGA_JohnDaly coming up 7:30 PM ET on @GolfChannel FB page @ChampionsTour

5. https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video. ... &width=267Credit to Allison

6. Credit to Allison: taken at Saw's with Hannah Styles

The Thrill is Gone : credit to allison

https://www.youtube.com/embed/IH84IzfObIA

7. credit to Jeanne Dempsey Von Hagel

8. Forest Doles video : https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi0ulMpnTDq/

9. Cassandra Mickens
‏@ChildrensAL ambassador Gabby Bolden of Birmingham, Alabama with @TaylorHicks on the first tee! @RegionsTrad #regionstradition

credit to Allison

credit to ATF

credit to ATF

10. Michael Cooley

David DeSantis Your Buddy almost hit me with the ball but had a good recovery shot. He was just awesome with the crowd, Taylor Hicks is a great guy.

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video. ... &width=560 Credit to Michael Cooley

credit to Carol Bachelier‎

credit to Carol Bachelier

Knockin' on Heaven's Door : credit to Allison

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ODW8hKkF3No

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi3c8A0gX3g/ Instagram video by Taylor

ALLSION'S PICS:

11. Ken Hearn

Taylor Hicks is a super nice individual.

12. Alabama News Center

http://alabamanewscenter.com/2018/05/17 ... tradition/
Taylor Hicks, the former “American Idol” winner, made his eighth appearance in the Regions Pro Am. He admits that his golf is not as good as his singing.

“I always enjoy this because I’m not on the hook actually for my golf,” he said. “I’m on the hook for singing a little bit, but not for golf.”

Hicks’ approach on No. 18 sprayed wide right and struck a patron, who was not seriously injured. The ropes that restrict access were lowered so he could hit his next shot to the green.

As for the woman he hit: “I’ve got to find her and maybe sign a ball for her or something.”

Former Auburn football coach Tommy Tuberville played in Hicks’ group.

He said Hicks “gets his money’s worth with his swing.” Tuberville, now an ESPN football analyst, said he’s very comfortable being back in Alabama.

13. Michael Graydon is with Taylor Hicks.
Nice catching up with my buddy Taylor Hicks last night!

14. Urology Centers of Alabama
May 16

Bo knows a good time ... and so do Taylor Hicks and Dr. Condoleezza Rice! As a proud sponsor of Regions Tradition, UCA was thrilled to witness these hometown heroes hit the course today for the Celebrity Pro-Am, benefiting Children's of Alabama. It's not too late to join in the fun. Grab your tickets at https://www.regionstradition.com/buy-tickets.php and use code "UCA18" for a special 15% discount off any single-day ticket purchase. While you're there, stop by the Overactive Bladder Zone, sponsored by us!

15. Rick and Bubba Show

LIVE from the REGIONS TRADITION 2018 - feat. Kirby Smart, Bo Jackson, Guz Malzahn

May 21, 2018
Highlights from The Rick & Bubba Show live broadcast from Greystone for the Regions Tradition 2018 benefitting Children's Hospital of Alabama

Interviews with Derek Mason, Tommy Tuberville, Gus Malzahn, Taylor Hicks, Kirby Smart and Randall Woodfin

Find more at: http://www.rickandbubba.com

https://www.youtube.com/embed/NT62LVDqpJE