Bivalve terminology

Marlo
Platinum Member
Marlo
Platinum Member

10:59 PM - Apr 08, 2007 #1

This topic will include a series of photos of various bivalves to illustrate and identify morphological characters and applicable terminology. I have emphasized distinguishing the right and left valves and the anterior and posterior sides, for as Abbott said, "many identification features are used in relation to these orientations." My plan is to add as I learn and photograph. There is no particular sequence. As content grows, I'll organize better. I'd be happy to see others post similar presentations adding families (use the reply button to make additions to this topic). And, I'd most certainly like to have errors pointed out.

When using this material to help identify your shells, keep in mind that not all families or genera are internally consistent and have the same features. So, it can get difficult. Use this material as a guide, but use it in conjunction with an authoritative source's description and use the two to firmly establish which valve you have and which side is anterior and posterior. For example, within the Family Arcidae, Lunarca ovalis has beaks that point to the anterior side, but Noetia ponderosa has beaks that point to the posterior side.

Marlo
Platinum Member
Marlo
Platinum Member

10:27 PM - Oct 13, 2007 #2

Marlo
Platinum Member
Marlo
Platinum Member

10:28 PM - Oct 13, 2007 #3

Matt
Matt

11:25 AM - Oct 14, 2007 #4

:) This is a great idea Marlo!
Having several different shells as models in addition to clear labeling is definately an asset in your presentation.
Matt

Susan J. Hewitt
Silver Member
Susan J. Hewitt
Silver Member

11:49 PM - Jan 13, 2015 #5

I agree, this page is fabulous!