No Toraceratops!

February 16th, 2012, 1:34 pm #1

http://jabrosky.deviantart.com/art/Tric ... -284975547

Read the comments and look further into the truth behind torosaurus and crew. The idea that it is an older triceratops actually makes no sense whatsoever, and the assumpitions for pachycephalosaurus are as bad as, if not worse than saying that a white tailed deer is a juvenile moose because it lives in the same area at the same time. Also, nanotyrannus DOES seem to be a valid genus; it has fully fused bones, a different number of teeth and a different brain structure to a juvenile t rex. This is all part of Horner's scheme to reduce the number of dinosaurs by a third (A HUGE AMOUNT!) to prove that dinosaurs are the most rubbish animals ever or something. Heck, it gets worse, Denver Fowler believes that HALF of all dinosaur genera should be lumped together-thats not science, thats madness. Not just dinosaurs ever, he still believes that other groups like pterosaurs, mososaurs, notosuchians, testudines, more primitive mammals etc were all declining too. Mainstream paleontology is turning into garbage people. We need to do something about it ASAP!

Russwallac
What The?

February 16th, 2012, 2:01 pm #2

Horner's gone a little crazy in the last few years... That tends to happen when scientists get too much media attention. They'll start coming up with all sorts of insane theories just to stay in the spotlight.
"We've started a cult about a guy's liver, of course we're going to demand that you give us an incredibly scientific zombie apocalypse." -Nanotyranus

February 16th, 2012, 2:32 pm #3

Exactly. While mainstream media is becoming more and more eratic and divided in every way other than the realistic way, we and PROPER paleontologists are always here to show the real facts. SV-POW, Paleoking, and the like are what I now listen to, not the rubbish on wikipedia.

Flisch
Superhuman

February 16th, 2012, 4:50 pm #4

While capital letters DO have a certain impact, I don't think they're actually NECESSARY to STRENGTHEN your point. It really makes it sound more like a rant than anything.

Okay nevermind, I finally read the whole post. It IS a rant.

Edit: I also love how "we armchair scientists are way better and more professional than those evil mainstream scientists" is a reoccuring theme on this forum. We're like the hipsters of science.
We have a discord. If you want to join, simply message me, Icthyander or Sphenodon.

dialforthedevil
What The?

February 16th, 2012, 5:08 pm #5

Yeah boi!!! I would describe myself more a pikey of science. Using complex terminology such as 'bitchin' adaptations' and 'gases and shit'.

There is another camp of evolutionary biologists who actually want to completely change the 5 groups of vetebrates to= Mammals, Archosaurs, Reptiles, Fish and Amphibeans. I prefer this method of classification.
Please come visit A Scientfic Fantasy http://s1.zetaboards.com/Conceptual_Evo ... 3433014/1/

ALSO!!! JOIN THE NEW RPG SITE!!! FOR ALL MEMBERS!!! IM GOING TO RUN MA GLOBAL SIMULATORS THERE!!! http://s4.zetaboards.com/jasonguppy/index/

Join the Campaign to save minotaurs from extinction!!! (include this in your signature to show your support!)

Russwallac
What The?

February 16th, 2012, 5:19 pm #6

You should classify fish as two or more different groups; a salmon is more closely related to a human than it is to a shark, after all.
"We've started a cult about a guy's liver, of course we're going to demand that you give us an incredibly scientific zombie apocalypse." -Nanotyranus

Carlos
Entity

February 16th, 2012, 5:39 pm #7

The idea that several dinosaur taxa just represent younger versions of other taxa actually does make more sense than assuming they were very diverse. Dinosaurs had slow growth rates, hence they occupied many ecological niches as they grew.

Bone fusions =/= adult animals. Nemicolopterus has fully fused bones, yet most people agree that it's a juvenile of a larger pterosaur species.

Carlos
Entity

February 16th, 2012, 5:41 pm #8

Flisch wrote:While capital letters DO have a certain impact, I don't think they're actually NECESSARY to STRENGTHEN your point. It really makes it sound more like a rant than anything.

Okay nevermind, I finally read the whole post. It IS a rant.

Edit: I also love how "we armchair scientists are way better and more professional than those evil mainstream scientists" is a reoccuring theme on this forum. We're like the hipsters of science.
Agreed. While I do think Bakker and Horner are bumbling idiots who should die in a pit, we most certainly aren't wielders of the truth. To say that we know more than the average paleontologist is humbris at it's purest.

colddigger
Impossible

February 16th, 2012, 8:54 pm #9

Hipsters of science. I like that.

Anyway, I do hesitate to say that just because a skeleton is larger or smaller than another makes it another species, sauropods had very small young after all but we don't go around saying there were cat sized sauropods.
IN B 4 CAT SIZED SAUROPODS.
Oh Fine.

Oh hi you! Why don't you go check out the finery that is SGP??

v Don't click v
[+] spoiler
seizures? seizure warning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WviwYLZubSw
[+] spoiler

Zorcuspine
Superhuman

February 16th, 2012, 8:57 pm #10

JohnFaa wrote:The idea that several dinosaur taxa just represent younger versions of other taxa actually does make more sense than assuming they were very diverse. Dinosaurs had slow growth rates, hence they occupied many ecological niches as they grew.

Bone fusions =/= adult animals. Nemicolopterus has fully fused bones, yet most people agree that it's a juvenile of a larger pterosaur species.
As far as I understand tyranosaurs were the exception. Even If I am wrong I think Horner has taken it to far...