[Member Project] Skatha: Sapients and other fauna

Amoeboid
Adolescent

December 20th, 2011, 5:12 am #1

Hey Spec-Evo I'm new here, and here's what I've been working on. (also forgive me if I post this in the wrong section, haven't quite found my way around the site yet)

The planet Skatha was discovered in the Earth year 2352 due to a surprise opening of a wormhole outside our solar system. Jumping on the chance to explore a natural and stable wormhole we sent a autonomous probe through. The probe was equipped with all manner of sensors specialized in detecting gasses and the like. It also has several onboard cameras and heat sensors.
In a summarized version, the probe went through the wormhole, took pictures, picked up the presence of a near-by star and investigated. When the probe returned to Earth the findings were shocking and unexpected, as a solar system was discovered. At the time we did not know that any planet had life on it, only that there was a planet in the Habitable Zone. Naturally we sent out a manned probe, it was volunteer only, as we did not know the effects of wormhole travel. The volunteers survived with no ill effects. A substantial crew was sent next to rendezvous with the first team in a large space shuttle. More probes were sent out to investigate further, this time with direct human observation. That is when they discovered Skatha.

Skatha was not originally called "Skatha." When the first Earth voyagers discovered the planet they called it "Terra Iterum" which means "Earth a second time." It was very Earth-like in appearance. The planet was mottled with blue patches much like Earth, but rather than green being the main dominant color reds were. Greens were present as well, the team described it as looking like a Christmas tree ornament.

Years passed as we rushed to pull together a team of scientists, astronauts, engineers, doctors and a small number of armed soldiers, to be sent to the planet's surface.

We had not expected to find what we did. Flourishing ecosystems covered the planet's surface, diverse habitats where found in all locations. The flora was primarily red, orange, pinks and purples, which was curious seeing as they did photosynthesize. There was a decent amount of greens and blues present, but red hues dominated the landscape.

It wasn't long until intelligent life was discovered. First interactions with the Indigenous were rough at first, finding communication hard, as well as a fearful and paranoid community, great precautions were taken to be sure that nothing violent happened.

It took a few years to make any head way deciphering their language, at least one of them. The group focused on a coast community that lived on a huge freshwater inland sea. The people called themselves the "Gapuri," it seemed to be a label for their entire species, not just their specific region.

The Gapuri are a large, roughly human sized species. With heights ranging between 5'4'' and 6'11'' a majority of them can look a human in the eye.

They are bipedal and mostly upright. They are digitigrade and have two sets of tentacle like arms. Their upper arms are larger and stronger, where as the smaller pair are more nimble and flexible. All arms end with a set of four fingers with the palm being somewhat rectangular in shape and a digit growing from each corner. Digits are also boneless, instead their fingers are a flexible cartilage "minispine."

They have a long, thick, prehensile tail that helps balance their somewhat top heavy torsos. Their heads are a medium length, longer than a humans but more bulbous in the front. They have a large lobe like forehead and a dextrous upper lip and split lower jaws. Their jaws are mandible like, with a joint in the middle they can grab and hold things in their jaws. However they do not use their jaws in fighting as they are somewhat delicate, like the equivalent of getting punched in the nose for us. They have two large forward facing eyes set just behind the jaw. They also have vestigial feelers that protrude from the base of their jaws on the neck. These feelers are hyper sensitive to any air or electrical currents around them. It is nearly impossible to sneak up on a Gapuri.

There is only one gender in the Gapuri, since they can only reproduce once every Skathan year (roughly 400 days), they need to be able to make up for lost reproductive time, thus both individuals in a pair will become pregnant from a single mating, this doubles the chance of one of the offspring surviving.

Most animals on Skatha reproduce this way.

Attached is an image of a Gapuri sailor, a merchant, travelling from province with goods. Depicted in a small skiff rather than her larger trading vessel, she is most likely on her way back to her homeport at the North end of the large inland sea.
_boatspecEVO.jpg
_boatspecEVO.jpg

urufumarukai
Superhuman

December 20th, 2011, 5:24 am #2

Welcome to the site!

It seems that your project is very well thoughtout, at least the history. Great art by the way looking forward to more.
Henry you dick!
Mr. Hands
"Am I boring? Depends, do you like watching documentaries about 19th and 18th century warfare, having complicated feelings about bismark and crying over the film of winston churchill putting flowers on FDR's grave. If so then I'm so fucking boring. "

Spugpow
Prime Specimen
Spugpow
Prime Specimen

December 20th, 2011, 7:28 am #3

Fantastic art, but it's a little too similar to a piece by abiogenesis: http://abiogenisis.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d3090s2

Why do the animals on Skatha reproduce so infrequently? Could it be that high levels of solar radiation make reproduction risky on all but the cloudiest days of the year (due to increased risk of harmful mutation)?

EDIT: Or maybe the day when they reproduce coincides with an annual total solar eclipse.

Ànraich
Impossible
Ànraich
Impossible

December 20th, 2011, 8:18 am #4

I like the project, keep it up. I love your art, I agree that it looks a bit like the piece by Abiogenesis but I don't think it's that similar. At first I thought your Gapun seemed too humanoid, but after seeing the picture I have a more clear view on how they look and have come to the conclusion they are not as some here might say "humanesque." Please tell me you have more art and information on their culture and history?
We should all aspire to die surrounded by our dearest friends. Just like Julius Caesar.

"The Lord Universe said: 'The same fate I have given to all things from stones to stars, that one day they shall become naught but memories aloft upon the winds of time. From dust all was born, and to dust all shall return.' He then looked upon His greatest creation, life, and pitied them, for unlike stars and stones they would soon learn of this fate and despair in the futility of their own existence. And so the Lord Universe decided to give life two gifts to save them from this despair. The first of these gifts was the soul, that life might more readily accept their fate, and the second was fear, that they might in time learn to avoid it altogether." - Excerpt from a Chanagwan creation myth, Legends and Folklore of the Planet Ghar, collected and published by Yieju Bai'an, explorer from the Celestial Commonwealth of Qonming
[+] Spoiler

bloom_boi
What The?

December 20th, 2011, 11:36 am #5

Welcome to the site, Amoeboid.
That's a well thought out history, and the alien's design has a good tone of humanoid, yet not too much. I'm interested to see why they breed so infrequently. Also, whats up next?
(and yeah, that boat does look a BIT too much like abiogenisis' work, sos. But your art work is fantastic, especially your talent in water)
"You shall perish, whatever you do! If you are taken with arms in your hands, death! If you beg for mercy, death! Whichever way you turn, right, left, back, forward, up, down, death! You are not merely outside the law, you are outside humanity. Neither age nor sex shall save you and yours. You shall die, but first you shall taste the agony of your wife, your sister, your sons and daughters, even those in the cradle! Before your eyes the wounded man shall be taken out of the ambulance and hacked with bayonets or knocked down with the butt end of a rifle. He shall be dragged living by his broken leg or bleeding arm and flung like a suffering, groaning bundle of refuse into the gutter. Death! Death! Death!"

Zoroaster
Prime Specimen

December 20th, 2011, 12:03 pm #6

welcome - great stuff - love your artwork - and I gotta say I am more than a bit jealous.... cool stuff - can't wait for the next update - might check out the site at work tomorrow.
The Speccer Formerly Known As Magoo...
My exobio project(s) :
Hormizd / Zarathustra

Amoeboid
Adolescent

December 20th, 2011, 6:27 pm #7

urufumarukai wrote:Welcome to the site!

It seems that your project is very well thoughtout, at least the history. Great art by the way looking forward to more.
Thank you! I also replied a bunch to people...but I think I did it wrong haha, so I am gunna do it again. I did "fast reply" and I think I was suppose to "quote"...sorry haha, I am not good at forums yet.

Amoeboid
Adolescent

December 20th, 2011, 6:31 pm #8

Watcher In The Puddle wrote:Welcome to the site, Amoeboid.
That's a well thought out history, and the alien's design has a good tone of humanoid, yet not too much. I'm interested to see why they breed so infrequently. Also, whats up next?
(and yeah, that boat does look a BIT too much like abiogenisis' work, sos. But your art work is fantastic, especially your talent in water)
Also, sorry in advance if I am reposting replies, I don't think I did it right the first time.

Yeah I'm seeing that now. However I used real boats and stuff when it came to reference haha, I've always loved the hide boats though. So I tend to draw them a lot, but I'm not going to argue points on how they look different or similar. I love Abiogenesis's work, but I hardly ever reference his pictures.

and I'm just going to cut and paste what I replied to the other person who asked about the mating. I'll write a full post on this late as well.

As for the mating issue, it has to do with seasons. Skatha has some rather severe weather changes, on the continent that this particular individual lives on, which is called Suuth, is the hottest of the continents. The inland sea provides an oasis for flora and fauna alike, but the temperatures can soar above 130 in the hottest time of the year. During the dry season is their mating period, that way they give birth the cooler time of the year. The adults can handle the heat, but the young are weaker when they are first born, it takes them about a year to fully develop thick enough skin to insulate their internal organs from the sweltering conditions.

If the Gapuri where to have a child during the hot season it would almost surely die within a few days even if kept in the shade. Their brain would overheat and their internal organs would shut down.

Amoeboid
Adolescent

December 20th, 2011, 6:33 pm #9

Spugpow wrote:Fantastic art, but it's a little too similar to a piece by abiogenesis: http://abiogenisis.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d3090s2

Why do the animals on Skatha reproduce so infrequently? Could it be that high levels of solar radiation make reproduction risky on all but the cloudiest days of the year (due to increased risk of harmful mutation)?

EDIT: Or maybe the day when they reproduce coincides with an annual total solar eclipse.
Sorry in advance if I am double posting replies...I think i did it wrong the first time.

I don't really see the resemblance between the two pieces honestly, other than the fact that they are on boats. The Gapuri and Abiogenesis's species don't look remotely similar (though you can't really see the body of the Gapuri here..)
And if it makes you feel any better I used real boats as reference for the boat I've painted, but I can see how the two boats may look a little similar...

And as for the mating issue, it has to do with seasons. Skatha has some rather severe weather changes, on the continent that this particular individual lives on, which is called Suuth, is the hottest of the continents. The inland sea provides an oasis for flora and fauna alike, but the temperatures can soar above 130 in the hottest time of the year. During the dry season is their mating period, that way they give birth the cooler time of the year. The adults can handle the heat, but the young are weaker when they are first born, it takes them about a year to fully develop thick enough skin to insulate their internal organs from the sweltering conditions.

If the Gapuri where to have a child during the hot season it would almost surely die within a few days even if kept in the shade. Their brain would overheat and their internal organs would shut down.

Amoeboid
Adolescent

December 20th, 2011, 6:34 pm #10

Magoo wrote:welcome - great stuff - love your artwork - and I gotta say I am more than a bit jealous.... cool stuff - can't wait for the next update - might check out the site at work tomorrow.
Thank you I am glad you are interested!