Dream Creatures

T.Neo
What The?

December 10th, 2011, 6:34 pm #1

Last night, I had a dream. It was pretty muddled up and confusing, but one part of it that I do remember, was a peculiar organism swimming in an aquarium tank.

As I recall it, the creature was flat; almost two dimensional. Perhaps like a rubber or plastic sheet 5 millimeters or so thick. Its front end was roughly oval shaped, and its rear was asymmetric, with two fins; a larger main fin, and a smaller secondary fin on one side. It appeared to propel itself forward by curling up and then rapidly extending these fins, rocking slightly as it swam.

The creature posessed two eyes, one on either side of the front end. Each eye had a black 'pupil' and featureless white sclera or iris around the pupil. These features appeared to be almost painted or printed on to the organism. The rest of the creature was black or deeply dark purple, with lighter purple spots over the body. On one side, the fins were featureless. On the other, it appeared that a pattern, similar to that on the underside of a shoe, was embossed into the organism.

The organism was perhaps 20 cm long from the tip of the front end to the tip of the back fin. There were no other obvious features. The tank it was swimming in had black rear walls, was presumably lit from above by incandescant lights. The bottom of the tank seemed to be covered in a sort of hay or other dead plant matter.

This is where it gets weird though: the tank seemed to be located inside a library, and seemed to contain an octopus and a kind of a squid as well (it wasn't really a squid, but more like an octopus with outstretched tentacles in one direction), though they were sitting at the bottom of the tank while this... thing was swimming around. There didn't seem to be any connection between the two and the... thing felt like it was definitely very alien.

It also felt quite familiar, as if I had seen it earlier and made a note of it. Perhaps it featured earlier in the dream and I simply don't remember, or this was one of those wacky psychological gimmicks.
[+] Spoiler
DreamCritter01.png
DreamCritter01.png
A hard mathematical figure provides a sort of enlightenment to one's understanding of an idea that is never matched by mere guesswork.

Jheuloh
Newborn
Jheuloh
Newborn

December 10th, 2011, 7:13 pm #2

Fascinating creature ye have there, T. Neo. Something about it says "soft-bodied invertebrate" to me, but I don't know what group would be an appropriate candidate for modifying their limbs into a single large fin.
Lives in a Jheuloh Bowl, under a Rock. Beware the Guard Lizard(s).
<O> ,.., <O>

Zorcuspine
Superhuman

December 10th, 2011, 8:49 pm #3

Reminds me of a time I dreampt I went to a zoo where there was an basal four flippered whale (looked a lot like dorudon if I remember correctly) with two sets of eyes XD

bloom_boi
What The?

December 10th, 2011, 9:03 pm #4

Very interesting. Would you mind if we posted descriptions of our own creatures.
"You shall perish, whatever you do! If you are taken with arms in your hands, death! If you beg for mercy, death! Whichever way you turn, right, left, back, forward, up, down, death! You are not merely outside the law, you are outside humanity. Neither age nor sex shall save you and yours. You shall die, but first you shall taste the agony of your wife, your sister, your sons and daughters, even those in the cradle! Before your eyes the wounded man shall be taken out of the ambulance and hacked with bayonets or knocked down with the butt end of a rifle. He shall be dragged living by his broken leg or bleeding arm and flung like a suffering, groaning bundle of refuse into the gutter. Death! Death! Death!"

T.Neo
What The?

December 10th, 2011, 9:24 pm #5

wrote:Would you mind if we posted descriptions of our own creatures.
Not at all, in fact I posted this in the hope that people would post about their own dream organisms. :)
A hard mathematical figure provides a sort of enlightenment to one's understanding of an idea that is never matched by mere guesswork.

Mike
Adult

December 10th, 2011, 9:50 pm #6

I had an interesting dream organism like a year ago (s1.zetaboards.com/Conceptual_Evolution/topic/3837295/), but not many recently. Mostly my subconscious has been preoccupied with what seems to be a fear of the pizza place not getting my order right. When I was young I incorporated a lot of dream things into my projects, but they were mostly of the terracentric variety. The only one I can distinctly remember at the moment was a race of hornless rhinos with bat-like noses that lived in a land in which the sun was in an eternal setting position. If I were to justify it I'd say it was a tidally locked planet.

Kamidio
Deity
Deity

December 10th, 2011, 10:29 pm #7

I'd say it might be some sort of worm.
SSU:NC - Finding a new home.
[+] Spoiler
Steve Irwin wrote:I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
Satoru Iwata - Heart of a Gamer wrote:Even if we come from different sides of the world, speak different languages, even if we eat too many chips or rice balls, even if we wave different tastes in games, every one of us here today is identical in the most important way: each one of us was the heart of a gamer.
The Writing on the Wall wrote:You should not have come here. This is not a place of honor. No great deed is commemorated here. Nothing of value is here. What is here is dangerous and repulsive.
Parasky | 2015 wrote:You can't be 100% certain Barack Obama is currently the US president, or that the nation of Canada even exists.
Dan Avidan wrote:See, what I like to do now as an adult is take all that anger and frustration and push it down deep inside of me, until it becomes a seething white core of pure hate.
Dan Avidan wrote:Follow your stupid fuckin' dreams.
[+] Spoiler
http://31.media.tumblr.com/2f7731936cac ... qa4twn.png636,360
http://tmv.proto.jp/reblog.php?post_url= A tool to reblog my own posts. I put it here because I know I'll forget it.

Ook
Transhuman
Ook
Transhuman

December 10th, 2011, 11:03 pm #8

two days ago, I had a dream in which I wandered trough post-apocaliptic world (but nothing like a Fallout -> barren deserts and such,but something more like Pripjat town) and there was a herd of strange boars,they were rather tall and had still familiar boar faces (though with very slightly longer snout) I suppose they were browsers, I might use them for a holiday competetion :D

Kamidio
Deity
Deity

December 11th, 2011, 12:28 am #9

Reinboars. SUWHEET.
SSU:NC - Finding a new home.
[+] Spoiler
Steve Irwin wrote:I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
Satoru Iwata - Heart of a Gamer wrote:Even if we come from different sides of the world, speak different languages, even if we eat too many chips or rice balls, even if we wave different tastes in games, every one of us here today is identical in the most important way: each one of us was the heart of a gamer.
The Writing on the Wall wrote:You should not have come here. This is not a place of honor. No great deed is commemorated here. Nothing of value is here. What is here is dangerous and repulsive.
Parasky | 2015 wrote:You can't be 100% certain Barack Obama is currently the US president, or that the nation of Canada even exists.
Dan Avidan wrote:See, what I like to do now as an adult is take all that anger and frustration and push it down deep inside of me, until it becomes a seething white core of pure hate.
Dan Avidan wrote:Follow your stupid fuckin' dreams.
[+] Spoiler
http://31.media.tumblr.com/2f7731936cac ... qa4twn.png636,360
http://tmv.proto.jp/reblog.php?post_url= A tool to reblog my own posts. I put it here because I know I'll forget it.

Jasonguppy
Transhuman

December 11th, 2011, 12:52 am #10

I can't draw my dream critters, or i get freked out. Once i had a dream of a guy covered in curved thorns and his skin poofed out lie roses on his arms and legs and torso.

Also, tiny little mammals with tentacles that were eaten by a hexapedal T. Rex
I do art sometimes.

"if you want green eat a salad"

Projects:
Amammalia: A strange place where mammals didn't make it and the land is, once again, dominated by archosaurs.

Oceanus: An endless sea dotted with islands, reefs, and black holes. Literally endless, literal black holes.

❤️❤️~I'm not a boy~❤️❤️