Val - congratulations!

Val - congratulations!

April 4th, 2008, 5:39 am #1

Well, I'm back to work - 3/4 time now. Oh boy..... need the good health care I have. DH is taking care of the kids.

Its really something.....my humor comes and goes I must admit. They are precious and lovely and wonderful - more and more every day as they now smile and laugh and try to talk.

Its been trying - DH and I in each others hair with limited sleep (and sex). I think with springtime and more sun - getting outside etc - we are coming around.

Being PG was actually not too bad. I enjoyed all the HORMONES and seriously miss then now. I didn't have any major issues, aside from leg, ankle swelling which lingered past the c-section for 3 weeks or so and is still around a bit.

I was SO worried that people would critisize me for being so old (although many think I'm around 45) but no one did - at least not too my face. I still haven't disclosed DE, but will in the future.

So good luck to you!
Andrea

age 51
1st kids for us!
5th DE attempt

April 4th, 2008, 11:53 am #2

You may find that you change your mind about this later.  It's funny, but DH and I have both commented that we actually have forgotten about it more of the time than not.  It's just not an issue.  Our little girl is ours. 

Anyway, always remember that once you've told, you can't un-tell.  And, interestingly someone did a research study (it's posted somewhere on the DE board, but I have no idea where) looking at DE parents and the one thing that came out of it was that the majority of parents in the tell group later on wished that they had not told others.

Anyhow, I'm glad to hear that being back at work is working out for you.  Definitely, health insurance is a big need that no family can do without these days.

Annie
""

April 4th, 2008, 10:57 pm #3

Well, I'm back to work - 3/4 time now. Oh boy..... need the good health care I have. DH is taking care of the kids.

Its really something.....my humor comes and goes I must admit. They are precious and lovely and wonderful - more and more every day as they now smile and laugh and try to talk.

Its been trying - DH and I in each others hair with limited sleep (and sex). I think with springtime and more sun - getting outside etc - we are coming around.

Being PG was actually not too bad. I enjoyed all the HORMONES and seriously miss then now. I didn't have any major issues, aside from leg, ankle swelling which lingered past the c-section for 3 weeks or so and is still around a bit.

I was SO worried that people would critisize me for being so old (although many think I'm around 45) but no one did - at least not too my face. I still haven't disclosed DE, but will in the future.

So good luck to you!
Andrea

age 51
1st kids for us!
5th DE attempt
So, you said you miss the hormones. It's something I've been concerned about and have already started mentioning this to my doctors. I think that after wards (and especially post partum) I'm going to want hormone supplements. Are you on any program?

How much weight did you gain with the twins? I'm swimming every other day and hoping to retain a bit of my figure (everyone thinks I'm much younger too) on the other side.

I'm also wondering if there was any debate as to whether you were going to have a C-section. And, if you don't mind, please tell me how that was.

I'm assuming that my sense of humor will be off and on as well.

Okay, last question (for now) have you tried using the new baby slings. They have one for twins and I am wondering how that actually works.

I hope I haven't asked too much.....I don't imagine you have a lot of free time for typing so take you time getting back to me. I'm going to be here for a few months yet....ha-ha-ha.
Cheers,
Val

April 4th, 2008, 11:32 pm #4

You may find that you change your mind about this later.  It's funny, but DH and I have both commented that we actually have forgotten about it more of the time than not.  It's just not an issue.  Our little girl is ours. 

Anyway, always remember that once you've told, you can't un-tell.  And, interestingly someone did a research study (it's posted somewhere on the DE board, but I have no idea where) looking at DE parents and the one thing that came out of it was that the majority of parents in the tell group later on wished that they had not told others.

Anyhow, I'm glad to hear that being back at work is working out for you.  Definitely, health insurance is a big need that no family can do without these days.

Annie
I know whatever you do will be the right thing for you but I do NOT plan to share the use of Donor Eggs with the general public meaning anyone from here forward. I wish my husband's family did not know either. (I am an orphan and will not tell anyone from 'back home' that I am trying to or will have a child if that occurs.) Perhaps I read the same research Annie mentions? but it is my perception as well that other people who make your business entirely too much their own do comment and they do not say anything positive. Some folks are a little kinder to your face but then word gets around what they say whenever. And most specifically, I find strangers to be kinder than family members.
Imagine this, you have a mother-in-law who finds you entirely unsuitable for her beloved only son. She comments in her loving manner that at least the child does not have your ______ (height, weight, hair, manners, etc-whatever). However, anything she does not like from the child is also your fault or due to that ethnic donor you chose. (And her daughter is even more nasty.) I don't know what you might say but I am glad there are many miles between California and Virginia!
I am thinking there was some information in what I read about the child also possibly struggling with a "You are not my mother" identity concern. This applied to children who were labeled test-tube babies, too. When I had my 'very own child'--this would have been even more stressful in her teen rebellion times. Perhaps there is no easy answer. I hope to write a letter to the child but NOT tell. And then, those dratted in-laws can just keep their thoughts to themselves way out west.

April 4th, 2008, 11:45 pm #5

when I was a teen, I went through the "You are not my mother" phase.  I believe that it's a very normal part of growing up for a child to doubt that his parents are really his own.  We've all probably thought at some point "are these people really my relatives"?

Annie
""

April 5th, 2008, 12:11 am #6

I think we all must have!!! have a great whatever wherever. off to rescue the downstairs melee.

April 5th, 2008, 4:28 am #7

So, you said you miss the hormones. It's something I've been concerned about and have already started mentioning this to my doctors. I think that after wards (and especially post partum) I'm going to want hormone supplements. Are you on any program?

How much weight did you gain with the twins? I'm swimming every other day and hoping to retain a bit of my figure (everyone thinks I'm much younger too) on the other side.

I'm also wondering if there was any debate as to whether you were going to have a C-section. And, if you don't mind, please tell me how that was.

I'm assuming that my sense of humor will be off and on as well.

Okay, last question (for now) have you tried using the new baby slings. They have one for twins and I am wondering how that actually works.

I hope I haven't asked too much.....I don't imagine you have a lot of free time for typing so take you time getting back to me. I'm going to be here for a few months yet....ha-ha-ha.
Cheers,
Val
I gained 60 pounds, mostly at the end - due to water. I lost 45 within 2 weeks after the c-sect, but then gained 10 : ( post b/feeding (which didn't go so good) AND xmas cookies that people KEPT bringing : )

Nah, no hormones for me. I just a period so I don't think I'm m'pausal and had regular periods before the transfer. I just think being PG with twins gives TONS more hormones than we are used to. Some don't like it, but I was always in a good mood with all the estrogen. AND, brst ca runs in my family so I doubt I could easily get hormones.

I had a mandatory c-section because I had had a myomectomy for fibroids (chance of rupture).

I do planning on telling the kids about DE just out of respect for their genetics etc. But it will be difficult to disclose to my immediate family etc - they should be okay with it but just stunned (although I don't know why at my age).

age 51
1st kids for us!
5th DE attempt
Last edited by AndreaMomma on April 5th, 2008, 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 7th, 2008, 3:52 pm #8

15 1/2 lbs of baby there!  You did an amazing job carrying to term.  Congrats!

Annie
""

April 7th, 2008, 5:45 pm #9

I gained 60 pounds, mostly at the end - due to water. I lost 45 within 2 weeks after the c-sect, but then gained 10 : ( post b/feeding (which didn't go so good) AND xmas cookies that people KEPT bringing : )

Nah, no hormones for me. I just a period so I don't think I'm m'pausal and had regular periods before the transfer. I just think being PG with twins gives TONS more hormones than we are used to. Some don't like it, but I was always in a good mood with all the estrogen. AND, brst ca runs in my family so I doubt I could easily get hormones.

I had a mandatory c-section because I had had a myomectomy for fibroids (chance of rupture).

I do planning on telling the kids about DE just out of respect for their genetics etc. But it will be difficult to disclose to my immediate family etc - they should be okay with it but just stunned (although I don't know why at my age).

age 51
1st kids for us!
5th DE attempt
Thanks Andrea!
Your info is helpful to me in understanding a little more of what to expect during the upcoming months. I gained so much weight immediately, it had me a little concerned. I am hoping that it was simply because I was receiving so many supplemental hormones to begin with. Now, those have all been reduced and I beginning to feel "normal" what ever that might mean being 9 weeks pregnant.

I am just finishing my process with the fertility center and am moving unto the perinatal doctors next week.

Please keep me posted with any fun stories, lessons your are learning from the twins.
Be well,
Val

April 9th, 2008, 3:41 am #10

Catch me on this board - I post there frequently. I may get too busy for this board, we'll see.

Take care!
http://www.network54.com/Forum/247611/

age 51
1st kids for us!
5th DE attempt