Another u/s in the books

Another u/s in the books

October 7th, 2008, 10:42 pm #1

Went today for another u/s. Everything looked OK. I can't believe the change in the embryo already! Last week it was just a blob inside a blob, today the outer sac is much bigger and the embryo has the beginning of the curled "shrimp" shape. Dr. said everything looked good, the heartbeat looked fast (though he says he doesn't measure HB, just checks for it). He said the important thing is that the hematoma is not growing. He measured it at 1cm whereas the first doctor measured it at 2cm, but he didn't seemed impressed by that, just that it wasn't growing.
But, he still wants ANOTHER u/s next week before they cut me loose to the local OB practice. I sure hope I get something back from insurance from all these visits (I pay out of pocket and get reimbursed). I asked him would he be looking for any specific changes, and he said no, just to check that there was still a heartbeat. It was a little callous sounding but I'm not freaking out, mainly because I am so nauseous all the time, I am always aware of the embryo there and growing - I feel like the nausea is her way of telling me "still here Mom, don't worry!"

OK, I'm hormonal.

Thanks everybody for being there to listen!

October 8th, 2008, 1:08 pm #2

That little guy or gal is still doing well and the hematoma is tiny.  Even if it stays for the rest of the pregnancy, it'll be getting tinier and tinier in relation to the size of the baby.  As for the wanting to do another u/s, that's good.  They are appropriately concerned. 

Isn't it amazing how quickly they grow.  Just remember that by the end of 8 weeks, they have all their organs--it's just a matter of growing bigger from then on and maturing the organs they've got. 

Annie
""

October 8th, 2008, 4:57 pm #3

Went today for another u/s. Everything looked OK. I can't believe the change in the embryo already! Last week it was just a blob inside a blob, today the outer sac is much bigger and the embryo has the beginning of the curled "shrimp" shape. Dr. said everything looked good, the heartbeat looked fast (though he says he doesn't measure HB, just checks for it). He said the important thing is that the hematoma is not growing. He measured it at 1cm whereas the first doctor measured it at 2cm, but he didn't seemed impressed by that, just that it wasn't growing.
But, he still wants ANOTHER u/s next week before they cut me loose to the local OB practice. I sure hope I get something back from insurance from all these visits (I pay out of pocket and get reimbursed). I asked him would he be looking for any specific changes, and he said no, just to check that there was still a heartbeat. It was a little callous sounding but I'm not freaking out, mainly because I am so nauseous all the time, I am always aware of the embryo there and growing - I feel like the nausea is her way of telling me "still here Mom, don't worry!"

OK, I'm hormonal.

I am so excited for you; this is good news. How many weeks post retrieval are you? Will you be going to a high risk OB?

October 8th, 2008, 10:22 pm #4

OK, I'm hormonal.

I know the hematoma was scary but I see it is okay now. Best wishes.

October 14th, 2008, 1:18 am #5

I am so excited for you; this is good news. How many weeks post retrieval are you? Will you be going to a high risk OB?
This was a frozen cycle, I am 6 weeks post transfer. Going for another u/s this week.

Don't know what I am going to do about an OB. My original OB, whom I adored, left the area. One of his partners took me over and started out skeptical about my age, but by the end was very supportive. However at my last appt she told me she would no longer be doing OB, just GYN. There are 2 partners left, one of the is a young woman I don't know anything about and the other is a grumpy old man. I'm very concerned he is going to flip out and try to get me onto bed rest in the hospital if there are any blips on the radar (if I bleed again for example). I want to avoid that if its not truly necessary for the sake of my DH and DD.

Meanwhile they also made me see a high-risk dr. periodically and I suppose I could just go directly to her but she does not deliver at the hospital in my town, and I really really want to deliver there (I have become very friendly with several of the nurses and it is a beautiful facility).

My current plan is to try to meet with the Dr. who is no longer doing OB and see if I can have a frank discussion with her about the 2 remaining partners and then decide from there. This is one of the few times that I wish heartily I were 30 years younger so I could just use a midwife and a home birth, but at 55 it feels too risky.

October 14th, 2008, 12:37 pm #6

I'm betting he'll say go with the younger woman.  This is my thinking there.  She's not so long out of medical school, her knowledge is newer and who wants to deal with a grumpy old man anyway. 

I learned long ago that I never wanted to be treated by the "head of the department".  they usually spend most of their time doing administrative stuff and less time doing actual clinical practice.  Also learned that younger doctors tend to be less jaded, more enthusiastic, and more up to date.   Now that doesn't mean that there aren't some old, up to date, enthusiastic docs out there. 

Also, is there a midwife in your area who'd be willing to manage your care in concert with the high-risk doc?

Annie
""