Who won September in college football?

12:27 PM - Oct 01, 2018 #1

Forde-Yard Dash: Who won September in college football?

FIRST QUARTER

WHO WON SEPTEMBER

It was a momentous opening month of the season — five Saturdays of action, meaning we have more data on more teams than usual turning the page to October. The Dash breaks down who were the biggest winners of September, and in the Second Quarter who were the biggest losers.

The Establishment (1). Every team that made the 2017 College Football Playoff — Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma and Clemson — is still undefeated. That’s a first in the playoff era; in each of the previous three seasons at least one playoff team from the previous season had lost at least once in September. If you were hoping for a change in the established order in the sport, it hasn’t happened yet and doesn’t seem likely to happen in any substantive way this season."

The Southeastern Conference (2). The league that has dominated the sport for more than a decade has teams ranked No. 1 (Alabama), No. 2 (Georgia), No. 5 (LSU), No. 8 (Auburn), No. 13 (Kentucky) and No. 22 (Florida) in the Associated Press Top 25. SEC teams took care of business in non-conference play, and are well positioned to once again put multiple teams in the playoff. Which would drive a good portion of the nation insane for the second straight season."

Notre Dame (3). It hasn’t exactly followed the preseason script, but everything has worked out so far for the Fighting Irish. They’ve changed starting quarterbacks, had four different leading rushers in five games and rolled unimpeded through all opponents to date. They’ve trailed for a total of two minutes and 12 seconds all season. Victories over Michigan and Stanford carry playoff-worthy cache at this point — and perhaps most significantly, the schedule is highly manageable the rest of the way."

Ed Orgeron (4). Some expected the season’s first month to end with Orgeron on the hot seat. Instead, his team is in the AP top five and Coach O’s in-game and postgame gravel-rumble-mumble interviews have become appointment viewing. (“Go Tigahs!”) Now his team may play the most important role in the playoff race over the next five Saturdays with games against Florida, Georgia and Alabama. Orgeron changed offensive coordinators and brought in graduate transfer quarterback Joe Burrow, and it’s worked out. The Tigers are one of just four teams nationally who haven’t thrown an interception."

New quarterbacks (5). Three first-year starting QBs head into October as arguably the top three candidates for the Heisman Trophy (give or take a Will Grier, McKenzie Milton or Bennie Snell): Tua Tagovailoa of Alabama; Kyler Murray of Oklahoma; and Dwayne Haskins of Ohio State. They’re all in the top five nationally in pass efficiency, and they’re combined for 50 touchdown passes and four interceptions to date."

Central Florida (6). Yeah, the Knights are still outside the Top 10 despite winning 17 straight games. But look where they are this year (13th) as opposed to where they were last year at this time (unranked). UCF is at least on the radar, and if its regular season-ending games against currently unbeaten Cincinnati and South Florida hold up, they will have opportunities to demand the attention of the playoff selection committee."

West Virginia (7). At 4-0, the Mountaineers remain in control of their own playoff destiny. The hurricane-related cancellation of a game at North Carolina State is looking like a good miss — it removed a losable game from the schedule, and not playing it hasn’t kept WVU from rising from 17th to ninth in the AP poll. Dana Holgorsen’s team should be heavily favored in all three October games (Kansas, at Iowa State, Baylor), potentially setting up a huge November."

FOUR FOR THE PLAYOFF

If today were Selection Sunday, this would be The Dash’s updated playoff bracket:

Top seed Alabama (8) against fourth seed Notre Dame in the Orange Bowl.

The Crimson Tide (5-0) continues to be scary. Yes, the opponent was only Louisiana, but Alabama dispatched the Ragin’ Cajuns with ruthless efficiency: six first-half offensive possessions, six touchdowns. Throw in a special teams score and it was 49-0 at halftime. Tua didn’t thrown an incompletion, and had a preposterous efficiency rating of 317 in abbreviated work. Next: at woeful Arkansas on Saturday.

The Fighting Irish (5-0) return to the bracket for the first time since after beating Michigan in Week 1. An offense that was prone to stalling after fast starts under Brandon Wimbush is firing on all cylinders with Ian Book. Average points per game with Wimbush as the starter: 23.3. Average points per game with Book as the starter: 47.

Next: at Virginia Tech on Saturday.

LSU (9) against third seed Ohio State (10) in the Cotton Bowl."

The Tigers (5-0) handled Mississippi with ease Saturday — not quite the same ease Alabama did a couple of weeks earlier, but ease nonetheless. Joe Burrow had the best passing game of his career, throwing for 292 yards and three touchdowns, and continued his college career-long streak of not throwing an interception — 170 passes and counting. The LSU defense also shut down the Ole Miss passing attack, keeping the Rebels without a passing touchdown for the first time in nine games. Next: at Florida on Saturday.

The Buckeyes (5-0) earned arguably the most valuable victory of the season to date, a second consecutive one-point win over Penn State thanks to a second consecutive fourth-quarter comeback. Ohio State trailed 26-14 halfway through the fourth quarter, then pulled off touchdown drives of 75 and 96 yards to take the lead. Penn State sealed its own demise with James Franklin’s horrible fourth-and-five handoff call, and the Buckeyes got out of State College undefeated.

Next: home against Indiana on Saturday.

Dropped out: Georgia.

Also considered: Georgia, Clemson, Oklahoma.

https://sports.yahoo.com/forde-yard-das ... 47667.html
Alabama: Heart of the South

4:31 AM - Oct 02, 2018 #2

It is really difficult for me to get on board with LSU.  I do not want to diminish their season so far, it has been great, but my gut says they fall off the cliff at some point.  My final four at this point would be Bama, OSU, Clemson and Notre Dame.  Of the four I am actually least certain about Clemson as they looked very vulnerable this weekend.  If Clemson or Notre Dame go down I could see a one loss team in the mix.  BTW, I don't think Oklahoma beats Texas this weekend but if they do they will be in this mix.  
Being a Vol fan is great except for a few Saturdays in the fall.

4:59 AM - Oct 02, 2018 #3

if anyone of your final 4 picks lose ( except Alabama ) , I can see 2 SEC teams in the final 4 …. 

5:11 AM - Oct 02, 2018 #4

Does anyone see a scenario where UCF gets in?  They are trying again to rally public support but looking at their schedule I just see absolutely no way they get in.  Even if they had played North Carolina (cancelled due to hurricane) and won NC is not exactly a powerhouse.  

At some point if UK stays undefeated we are going to have to start talking about them.  I can't believe UK football is actually in the national conversation but here we are.  

5:14 AM - Oct 02, 2018 #5

DocVOLiday wrote: Does anyone see a scenario where UCF gets in?  They are trying again to rally public support but looking at their schedule I just see absolutely no way they get in.  Even if they had played North Carolina (cancelled due to hurricane) and won NC is not exactly a powerhouse.  

At some point if UK stays undefeated we are going to have to start talking about them.  I can't believe UK football is actually in the national conversation but here we are.  
Kentucky would have to win the SEC Championship Game to get into the playoffs … they aint Georgia … winning the East wouldn't be enough to get them into the playoffs … 

5:22 AM - Oct 02, 2018 #6

I agree.  I actually highly doubt they beat UGA.  Even my Vols, if we stay healthy, will be very battle tested after this run through UGA, Auburn and Alabama and could cause them fits.   Granted we lost bad to a Florida team that Kentucky has already beat but the Tennessee youngsters continue to show improvement with each game.

5:43 AM - Oct 02, 2018 #7

if ND goes undefeated they will make the playoffs … and that would make for an interesting wrinkle …. only 3 of the 5 Power Conferences would have a possibility of making the playoffs …. who would you leave out? … and what if, the committee , in their ultimate wisdom , decide to put 2 teams from the SEC into the playoffs … that would mean only 2 Power 5 conferences would be represented in the playoffs …. wouldn't that cause heads to explode ….

6:19 AM - Oct 02, 2018 #8

I think Pac 12 fans are getting numb to it.  They are smart and can see the product on their television sets is not up to the standard.  Big 12 fans are some of the most knowledgeable football fans around and I think this year they would get it too.  If an undefeated Oklahoma got left out they would probably lose their minds but otherwise it seems like they realize until Texas is back the conference just is not as strong.  ACC fans like Merritt seem to realize too the ACC is just not getting it done this year like in previous years.  I think if the ACC got left out multiple years there would be a revolt but this year has been tough on our friends in the ACC.  SEC fans would lose their mind and I think Big 10 fans are still angry about last year so they would not take a shunning lying down.  

10:02 AM - Oct 02, 2018 #9

the Power 5 Conferences are going to push for an 8 game playoff  ....  and like it or not , it is going to happen  ….. 

11:26 AM - Oct 02, 2018 #10

Not Clemson

But they will get there

11:27 AM - Oct 02, 2018 #11

DocVOLiday wrote: I think Pac 12 fans are getting numb to it.  They are smart and can see the product on their television sets is not up to the standard.  Big 12 fans are some of the most knowledgeable football fans around and I think this year they would get it too.  If an undefeated Oklahoma got left out they would probably lose their minds but otherwise it seems like they realize until Texas is back the conference just is not as strong.  ACC fans like Merritt seem to realize too the ACC is just not getting it done this year like in previous years.  I think if the ACC got left out multiple years there would be a revolt but this year has been tough on our friends in the ACC.  SEC fans would lose their mind and I think Big 10 fans are still angry about last year so they would not take a shunning lying down.  
No such thing as an ACC fan

11:36 AM - Oct 02, 2018 #12

Somethings to keep in mind about UK:

1. They are last in the conference in passing yards per game.  They're one dimensional.
2. Snell leads the conference in carries with 115.  For comparison UGA's leader has only 52.  Snell can't keep that up.
3. They don't have any depth.

11:41 AM - Oct 02, 2018 #13

For fun, teams that have a chance to make the playoffs:

Group 1:  
Bama- They're crushing everyone, in the "toughest division", and have all the hype.

Group 2:
OSU, UGA, LSU, Clemson, and ND- These teams keep winning and they're in.  One loss and they probably get in, but it depends on the field.  UGA could backdoor without winning the SEC East, but that's a slim chance.

Group 3:
Oklahoma, UCF, PSU, Kentucky, Wisconsin- These teams have a chance if they win out, but another or forst loss and they're out.

Who did I miss?

12:24 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #14

" brown dog:
For fun, teams that have a chance to make the playoffs:
Group 1:  
Bama- They're crushing everyone, in the "toughest division", and have all the hype." 

we don't know that yet …. 

remember this ?

" What the hell happened to the SEC West?

The alleged best division in history went 2-5 in bowl games? So were we all wrong about them all along?

In the regular season, the SEC West was a perfect 28-0 in non-conference games. When the league was en route to its flawless out-of-conference performance, some numbskull was using the Simple Rating System to ask whether the division was the best since conferences started splitting in half.

Admittedly, that non-conference performance featured a healthy dose of FCS and lower-level FBS, but it also included Kansas State, West Virginia, Wisconsin (Big Ten West champion), Boise State (Mountain West champion), Northern Illinois (MAC champion), and Memphis (American champion). The West then tacked on an 11-4 record against the SEC East on its way into the bowls.

Unfortunately for those people who staked out the position that the West was something special in 2014, bowl season was a disaster. It started well enough, with the two bottom finishers in the West -- Arkansas and Texas A&M -- winning their postseason games, the former in utterly dominating fashion. When LSU lost to Notre Dame on a last second field goal on December 30, it marked the first time in 31 games that an SEC West team had lost to a non-conference opponent.

And then, in the space of two days, the West's reputation came crumbling down. The two Mississippi schools were both thrashed on New Year's Eve, then Auburn and Alabama lost close contests on New Year's Day. The division touted as the best ever ended up 2-5 in bowl games. The conference's reputation had to be preserved by the SEC East, which was 5-0.
So what conclusions should we draw from the SEC West's New Year's face plant?

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... games-2014

3:23 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #15

I don't have a problem with the SEC west getting that label...Auburn over Washington and LSU over Miami are solid wins.  They lack the fourth team the Big 10 east has..but Mich, MSU and PSU all have loses now

8:47 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #16

The answer is the University of Cincinnati.

5-0, beat UCLA on the road, came from behind to beat my Bobcats.  Clearly the best team in the nation right now.

Ok maybe that last comment is a bit of a stretch

But they had a good month

PS my son is a freshman there now so I have to pay attention I guess

4:17 AM - Oct 03, 2018 #17

I will jump on the Sooner wagon after this weekend if they do the job at Red River.   I have been impressed with Texas though this season.  After they shook out the cobwebs with Maryland they went on to destroy USC and TCU and solidly beat K State.  Oklahoma on the other hand had to beat Army in overtime.  In all fairness to that game though a caller to ESPNU pointed out Oklahoma did not change their defensive game plan at all.  Still dropping two safeties just like they were playing another Big 12 school.  Shame on Mike Stoops for not doing any homework on the triple option.  At the very least he should have called Venables who has become the triple option destroyer.  

6:15 AM - Oct 03, 2018 #18

6:15 AM - Oct 03, 2018 #19

Looks like it's about to get real for UGA and LSU.

OSU, Clemson, and ND just have to worry about a lack of focus.

6:28 AM - Oct 03, 2018 #20

honestly BD , I don't see anyone of the ranked teams left on your schedule who will seriously challenge you … 
Sat, Oct 13 @ 5 LSU 3:30 PM 736 tickets as low as $256
Sat, Oct 27 vs 22 Florida * 3:30 PM CBS 1,243 tickets as low as $82
Sat, Nov 3 @ 13 Kentucky TBD 2,797 tickets as low as $75
Sat, Nov 10 vs 8 Auburn

LSU - cant score enough points to hang with Georgia

Florida - Seriously ? ( if they weren't in the SEC , they wouldn't be ranked now ) …. and they definitely wont be ranked at the end of the season 

Kentucky - No depth . After Snell , what offense do they have ?

Auburn - Same as LSU, they wont be able to score enough points to challenge Georgia 

I think you all cruise until the SEC CCG ….

6:40 AM - Oct 03, 2018 #21

It's a lot easier to lose to one of those 4 than the rest of OSU's schedule.  OSU has already played their tough game (PSU), but UGA hasn't played anyone yet.

6:48 AM - Oct 03, 2018 #22

brown dog wrote: It's a lot easier to lose to one of those 4 than the rest of OSU's schedule.  OSU has already played their tough game (PSU), but UGA hasn't played anyone yet.
I was giving Georgia a compliment … I wasn't comparing schedules  … 

6:53 AM - Oct 03, 2018 #23

LSU and Michigan are very similar teams in my book...average offense with a great defense.  If Michigan beats PSU..they'll be a top 10 team when we play them.

I wouldn't say our season is complete just yet.  But yes..getting past PSU in a white out was by far our biggest hurdle.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we don't come out really flat against Indiana..those kids play tough..not much talent..but after last week..I wouldn't be surprised if this game took us to the second half to square up.