WHICH QB WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE ?

5:04 AM - Sep 23, 2018 #1

WHICH QB WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE

Total votes: 6
3(50%)
2(33%)
1(17%)

One season after The Year of The Quarterback in college football, the 2018 season began with a muddled quarterback class. There were solid players like Missouri’s Drew Lock, West Virginia’s Will Grier, North Carolina State’s Ryan Finley, Auburn’s Jarrett Stidham and Oregon’s Justin Herbert. But no superstars that threatened a class that saw five first-round picks in the 2018 NFL draft.

One-third of the way through this college football season, it’s becoming increasingly apparent that the country’s best two quarterbacks may be two first-year starters. Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa and Ohio State’s Dwayne Haskins have beelined to the top of the 2018 quarterback class in college football, keeping their teams entrenched in the top five and wondering if anyone in their respective leagues can slow them down.

Tagovailoa passed for 387 yards while playing just three quarters in Alabama’s 45-23 blowout of Texas A&M on Saturday. Tagovailoa completed 22-of-30 passes for the Crimson Tide, as they cruised to a victory over the Aggies.

The consistent downfield pass threat for the Crimson Tide has given the offense the look of evolving into the most lethal in Saban’s tenure. Not only can Tua hit deep threats like Jerry Jeudy, but he’s proven adept at the intrinsic quarterback nuances like throwing the ball away, extending drives and not making mistakes. He’s completed 72.5 percent of his passes for 12 touchdowns and no interceptions. Imagine when he gets to actually play a full game.

Haskins has been even better for Ohio State. When the Buckeyes signed Haskins three years ago, Urban Meyer said, “He’s the best quarterback at his age I’ve ever seen.” The quote got lost in the typical Signing Day shuffle, but it’s beginning to appear prophetic. Haskins finished 21-of-24 in two quarters against Tulane, throwing five touchdown passes and no interceptions. For the season, he’s thrown 16 touchdowns, one interception and completed 75 percent of his passes. For Haskins to continue to get Heisman Trophy and NFL buzz, he’ll have to perform in a truly hostile environment at Penn State on Saturday night. “Game five coming up,” Meyer said. “This one is a big one coming up, so I’m pleased with his performance.”

If Tagovailoa and Haskins keep this pace up, don’t be surprised if they’re seated next to each other in New York in December as Heisman finalists.

https://sports.yahoo.com/10-takeaways-u ... 11208.html
Alabama: Heart of the South

5:55 AM - Sep 23, 2018 #2

I haven't seen this type of QB play at OSU since Joe Germaine. Look a lot of guys could have beat the teams we played...but it's the accuracy, touch and timing of his throws I've been most impressed with. For years OSU had athletes playing QB...going back to Pryor, Braxton Miller, Barrett..so it's so refreshing to see someone that can push the ball down the field. I'm not sure either of those guys beat Bama and then Oregon to win the National Championship.

Who is better..don't know..but as a Buckeye..it's fun to watch.

8:32 AM - Sep 23, 2018 #3

Between the two I would take Tua.

But watching Trevor Lawrence starting to settle in and seeing some of the throws he is making I’m not trading. Lawrence is starting to grow up in the offense and the transition seems to b happening, I’d be shocked if he isn’t the starter Saturday

10:31 AM - Sep 23, 2018 #4

nmerritt11 wrote:
But watching Trevor Lawrence starting to settle in and seeing some of the throws he is making I’m not trading. Lawrence is starting to grow up in the offense and the transition seems to b happening, I’d be shocked if he isn’t the starter Saturday
When you getting the TL tat on your booty?

11:29 AM - Sep 23, 2018 #5

Haskins has better stats …. 

12:03 PM - Sep 23, 2018 #6

brown dog wrote:
nmerritt11 wrote:
But watching Trevor Lawrence starting to settle in and seeing some of the throws he is making I’m not trading. Lawrence is starting to grow up in the offense and the transition seems to b happening, I’d rather be shocked if he isn’t the starter Saturday
After he wins his first Heisman

5:45 AM - Sep 24, 2018 #7

nmerritt11 wrote:
brown dog wrote:
nmerritt11 wrote:
But watching Trevor Lawrence starting to settle in and seeing some of the throws he is making I’m not trading. Lawrence is starting to grow up in the offense and the transition seems to b happening, I’d rather be shocked if he isn’t the starter Saturday

7:23 AM - Sep 24, 2018 #8

Kentuckytoo wrote:
nmerritt11 wrote:
brown dog wrote:

Oh it definitely won't be this year...Kelly Bryant will continue to get reps similar to Leake/Tebow and he has earned that.

Next year the Clemson offense will be loaded. They lose Renfrow and Hyatt and that is it

Ross, Higgins, Rodgers, Kendrick, Powell, Overton, Chase all return at receiver and they add Ngata and Ladson who may end up 5 star before cycle is over. Both are right on the line. 

Then Etienne, Feaster, and Dixon are all back at RB. Etienne is currently averaging 8.5 yards a carry.

Hyatt will be replaced by 5 star Jackson Carman at LT who may have more upside and has been very good so far. Although Hyatt has been a stud for 4 years.

2019 when Trevor has a year under his belt, and the young WRs have another year development, this will be the best offense Clemson has had. I know it is still 2018 but the 2019 Clemson offense will be ridiculous. Ross and Higgins together is almost unfair for a defensive secondary. they are averaging 22 and 28 yards a catch currently. Lawrence won't lack play makers to put up gaudy numbers.

7:33 AM - Sep 24, 2018 #9

College football will be a little less exciting without Renfrow.  The kid has heart.  I can't see him in the NFL at 5'10" 185 lb but I think I would take a chance on him if I were an owner.  The kid is a winner. 
Being a Vol fan is great except for a few Saturdays in the fall.

7:44 AM - Sep 24, 2018 #10

DocVOLiday wrote: College football will be a little less exciting without Renfrow.  The kid has heart.  I can't see him in the NFL at 5'10" 185 lb but I think I would take a chance on him if I were an owner.  The kid is a winner. 
I see know way he doesn't end up on a roster. Elite route runner, elite hands, and a great teammate. He plays bigger than he is and he just has such a high football IQ he knows exactly how to get open and how to find soft spots in defenses. And he drops nothing...

I hope Clemson makes the playoffs again and he adds to his playoff TD record. One of my manufacturer reps niece is marrying him.

8:19 AM - Sep 24, 2018 #11

nmerritt11 wrote:

2019 when Trevor has a year under his belt, and the young WRs have another year development, this will be the best offense Clemson has had. I know it is still 2018 but the 2019 Clemson offense will be ridiculous. Ross and Higgins together is almost unfair for a defensive secondary. they are averaging 22 and 28 yards a catch currently. Lawrence won't lack play makers to put up gaudy numbers.
By the time the playoffs roll around the Clemson offense will have matured a lot.  Looking at the rest of their schedule, all of the regular season games are easy Ws for the Tigers.  Sure, they could drop one if they lose focus, but that's the only way.  There are no serious challengers on the schedule.  The CCG even looks manageable.  Everything is looking good for Clemson.

8:23 AM - Sep 24, 2018 #12

brown dog wrote:
nmerritt11 wrote:

By the time the playoffs roll around the Clemson offense will have matured a lot.  Looking at the rest of their schedule, all of the regular season games are easy Ws for the Tigers.  Sure, they could drop one if they lose focus, but that's the only way.  There are no serious challengers on the schedule.  The CCG even looks manageable.  Everything is looking good for Clemson.
Yep...this offense is going to be tough to stop with Trevor operating it. He's just so damn natural throwing the ball...

6:40 AM - Sep 25, 2018 #13

Haskins is going to put up some gaudy numbers this season …. if he puts up big numbers against Penn State , He will be in the Heisman conversation … he is an outstanding QB who has a pass first mentality, but is athletic enough to hurt teams scrambling, when he has , too ….  

6:42 AM - Sep 25, 2018 #14

I agree. A good showing at Happy Valley puts him up with Tua.

8:08 AM - Sep 25, 2018 #15

What is interesting is that Trevor Lawrence is 2nd in the ACC in Touchdown passes only playing half the snaps and 23rd nationally. I wonder now that he is the starter, if he lights ip the world how he would be viewed nationally.

He has the same number of TD passes as Fromm. More than McCorley, Mond, Browning, Patterson, etc

He only has three less than Tua

11:12 AM - Sep 25, 2018 #16

Haskins - 16 TD's .. he has only played bout 2/3's of the time ..in everyone of the blowouts ,Haskins has sat out the 2nd half … the TCU game was his only complete game

Tua - 12 TD's

TL - 9 TD's

even though I am bragging on Haskins … I have to admit TL and Tua are both great QB's …. I wouldn't say no to any of them … and almost every school  in the country would love to have them on their team ( just ask a Florida fan )

6:16 AM - Sep 27, 2018 #17

Kentuckytoo wrote: Haskins - 16 TD's .. he has only played bout 2/3's of the time ..in everyone of the blowouts ,Haskins has sat out the 2nd half … the TCU game was his only complete game

Tua - 12 TD's

TL - 9 TD's

even though I am bragging on Haskins … I have to admit TL and Tua are both great QB's …. I wouldn't say no to any of them … and almost every school  in the country would love to have them on their team ( just ask a Florida fan )
All three are amazing...I think Trevor has the most upside and I’ve been consistent of him being best QB prospect I’ve ever seen when everyone, including me, thought he was Georgia bound

He was most complete QB I’ve ever seen on high school level.

7:38 AM - Sep 27, 2018 #18

I voted for Tua solely based on what he has done versus what he may do.  Haskins and Trevor are looking great and have bright, bright futures.  Tua stepped in as a 19 year old and almost single handily won the national championship.  Obviously my opinion can and most likely will change with time. 

10:46 AM - Sep 27, 2018 #19

There are no wrong answers here!

5:33 PM - Sep 29, 2018 #20

nmerritt11 wrote: There are no wrong answers here!
So far today I disagree. Trevor barely stayed healthy and Haskins looks pretty poor.

5:45 PM - Sep 29, 2018 #21

DocVOLiday wrote:
nmerritt11 wrote: There are no wrong answers here!
So far today I disagree.  Trevor barely stayed healthy and Haskins looks pretty poor.
you must really dislike Haskins …

5:47 PM - Sep 29, 2018 #22

No. This is just my first time watching him.

3:59 AM - Sep 30, 2018 #23

I think he did ok … He was a first year starter , coming into a very hostile environment ….. the pressure Penn State put on Haskins , bothered him that is for sure …. it caused him to get off to a slow start ... but his receivers sure didn't help him in the first half … Haskins played better in the second half …. so, did the whole team ….  the Buckeyes showed a lot of heart and grit ….. improvement being forged by fire will temper the team and make them stronger … this is a close knit group … 

4:36 AM - Sep 30, 2018 #24

Haskins was rattled for sure..but that environment would rattled anyone. It was really insane....the noise level was ridiculous...you couldn't hear the whistle

5:50 AM - Sep 30, 2018 #25

Trevor got a concussion on a dirty hit. He was a little hyped up with it being his first start. Little strong on his passes down the field and missed a couple deep balls he normally hits on.

The Syracuse bench was all looking into the crowd doing to “go to sleep” motions. It was obvious that was intentional. Dirty ass play and no flag.

6:04 AM - Sep 30, 2018 #26

nmerritt11 wrote: Trevor got a concussion on a dirty hit. He was a little hyped up with it being his first start. Little strong on his passes down the field and missed a couple deep balls he normally hits on.

The Syracuse bench was all looking into the crowd doing to “go to sleep” motions. It was obvious that was intentional. Dirty ass play and no flag.
I was impressed with the way Clemson overcame adversity , dug their heels in and scratched out a win with their 3rd string QB ….. champions do that …..   congratulations Nick ...

6:08 AM - Sep 30, 2018 #27

I didn't think it was dirty at all.  The contact was mostly Lawrence's head into the Syracuse player's shoulder pad.  I think a big part of it was Lawrence sort of stumbled as he made the turn up field, and that set up an awkward tackle.

here is the hit:  

6:11 AM - Sep 30, 2018 #28

7:59 AM - Sep 30, 2018 #29

Kentuckytoo wrote:
I saw them take his helmet from him when he came out of tent and knew he was done. They said he was fine in locker room and was trying to convince trainers to let him play. He should be good for Saturday

Etienne finally was utilized properly yesterday! He was a beast

8:06 AM - Sep 30, 2018 #30

Merritt, if Bryant announces this week he is coming back on the team would you want him? At this point it feels like rehiring a disgruntled employee and that almost always leads to a toxic work environment.

8:56 AM - Sep 30, 2018 #31

No...I think that ship has sailed but also think if Dabo allowed it, there would be reasoning behind it and I trust Dabo to handle these situations

9:45 AM - Sep 30, 2018 #32

nmerritt11 wrote:

Etienne finally was utilized properly yesterday! He was a beast
Yeah.  He carried the team to the win.  On TV they kept trying to make it all about Chase Brice.  Brice did the best he could, but Etienne was almost unstoppable.  

1:45 PM - Sep 30, 2018 #33

I just now saw the hit ..didn't seem dirty in the least bit to me. Lawrence was stumbling...and the hit was with the shoulder.

Hope he is ok..

2:30 PM - Sep 30, 2018 #34

Buck Fan in Miami wrote: I just now saw the hit ..didn't seem dirty in the least bit to me.  Lawrence was stumbling...and the hit was with the shoulder.

Hope he is ok..
I felt like there was intentional forearm to the head. The dirtiest part was Syracuse celebrating him being out on the sidelines

That said Clemson is very lucky to have come out with a W with all the circumstances and mistakes they made

TL was apparently good in locker room, trying to talk them into letting him play. They seem confident in him playing

5:55 AM - Oct 06, 2018 #35

Haskins will need to improve down the field or teams are going to start loading the box and forcing him to throw longer passes