What do you like/dislike about your team so far.

September 10th, 2018, 8:37 am #1

I touched on this some in the Florida thread but there are some things I like about my Pruitt lead Vols.  Honestly they look like a well coached team that just get's outclassed by better teams.  The talent will come, the coaching is reassuring.  Here is a breakdown:

QB.   I don't know how they did it but Guarantano has been fantastic so far.  He is getting killed behind our offensive line but makes smart decisions and avoids turnovers.  When he does have time he is hitting receivers well.  Our receivers look really good too and find ways to pick up yards after the catch.  It has been fun to watch.
TB:  Honestly our TB's have looked good too all things considered.  They are getting hit a lot behind the line of scrimmage but find ways to get positive yardage.  Against a defense like UGA that may not work but the few times they get a block they have made the most of it.
D-line:  Solid D-line.  Not All American but they will make you work for the yardage.  
Linebackers:  This may be Pruitt's best coaching yet.  Pruitt is a defense guy and he has taken our linebackers from the worst in the nation to a very respectable corp.  They read the ball extremely well and hit hard.  

Dislikes:
Broken record time but our offensive line is just offensive.   Like I said on the other thread they really did pull it together after the weather delay Saturday and started pushing ETSU off the line.  But, again, it is ETSU.   The only real positive is I think we know where the puzzle pieces fit now after losing Kennedy.  That would have been harder to accomplish against a big time opponent.  
Defensive Secondary.   Two starting true freshman.  These kids barely have to shave and they are covering SEC receivers.  Tough ask.  At least they will get some much needed experience and could be outstanding later in their career but for now a good QB can decimate my Vols.  My only hope is the d-line continues to improve and at least puts some pressure on the opposing qbs.

Final Projection:
I am a little more positive we can beat Florida just because I don't think Frank is the guy to take advantage of our holes in the secondary.  A win there gets us up to  4 wins (ETSU, UTEP, Florida, and Charlotte).   If we do not get too injured in the UGA, Bama, Auburn games following Florida then I think we can hold our own against the rest but do not see any guaranteed wins.  Kentucky looked decent against Florida which may be all it takes.  Vandy has looked surprisingly good this year with some projecting they could even really challenge Notre Dame this weekend (I personally doubt that).  Drew Lock will have a heyday against our secondary.  South Carolina is probably still OK they just got exposed by UGA this weekend who was much better.  5-6 wins.  That is about it but hopefully continued improvement.
Being a Vol fan is great except for a few Saturdays in the fall.

September 10th, 2018, 10:05 am #2

Likes.
Offensive play calling so far. Haskins has been very impressive with accurate throws..but they are playing to his strengths. They didn't try to shoehorn into Barrett's read option offense .thankfully.

Defensive backs are maturing...Shaun Wade is the next first round DB out of OSU in a few years...and Fuller should be this year.

I don't like the Mike linebacker play so far. Tuff Borland has been hurt and will return to form..but there are a few five star guys to replace him that have looked lost at times.

TCU will test those guys this week.

September 10th, 2018, 12:08 pm #3

Malik Harrison has been practicing mostly at outside linebacker …  except when the Buckeyes practice their nickel package, at which point the bumps inside. ….. third down is when he takes over in the Mike backer …. why 3rd down only ?
Alabama: Heart of the South

September 10th, 2018, 1:33 pm #4

Harrison is a first kid off the bus type..but really lacks instincts..or is thinking too much..but he is a step slow to the hole...when he is as fast as any linebacker we have. They keep trying him..but Browning will end up in that spot.

September 11th, 2018, 5:11 am #5

OL is going to be alright.  They seem to struggle a bit in run blocking, but I think they just need to come together and get an attitude.  Our best most experienced OL guy left the SC game after the first play of the 2nd half.  True freshman replaces him at LT, and MFing road grades SC as we put up 21 straight unanswered points.   

RBs are where I thought they would be.  2 would start at almost every SEC school and the other 2 would start or be in the rotation at every SEC school.  They're not tired in the 4th qtr.

WRs are coming along.  It's all there, but they haven't had that breaking out game yet.  We never throw deep.

QB seems solid.  Honestly, I like Fromm but I don't think he is a NFL type guy yet.  I need to see the deep ball.

DL is deep and rotates a lot.  Probably more than any other team.  The fresh bodies seems to be working.

LBs great except in pass coverage.  They worry me against Mizzou and maybe Auburn.

DBs are coming along.  Deandre Baker shut down Deebo Samuel last weekend. Tyson Campbell is what you expect from a 5 star freshman, crazy skills but has made a few mental mistakes. Richard Lecontte is turning into that FS we need.  JR Reed a safety might be the best tackler in CFB.  Takes perfect lines and rarely doesn't make the stop.

The team is still young and needs experience, but they are getting that every game.  Weird stats:  UGA played 83 players in their opener, and 20 of the 70 spots on the travel roster went to true freshman.  Kirby is getting everyone experience. 

September 11th, 2018, 5:20 am #6

Georgia always seems to have good running backs ….. My grandson is a huge Georgia fan … He got hooked on Georgia when Todd Gurley was their RB … he loved watching Gurley play … so, around our house we root for the Buckeyes first …. but Georgia is 2nd ….

September 11th, 2018, 5:26 am #7

I think you can safely call UGA tailback U these days.  I know it goes all the way back to Herschell but lately they are just so deep at that position.  
Being a Vol fan is great except for a few Saturdays in the fall.

September 11th, 2018, 5:28 am #8

DocVOLiday wrote: I think you can safely call UGA tailback U these days.  I know it goes all the way back to Herschell but lately they are just so deep at that position.  
Herschell was special , that's for sure ...

September 11th, 2018, 7:26 am #9

The thing with elite RBs is they want to go somewhere with a lot of other elite RBs so they don't get over worked.  I think that helps schools like UGA and Bama stock pile talent at the position.  UGA has (depending on the site) three 5 star and one high 4 star RB on the roster.  Why don't these kids go to Clemson and be the star?