October 3rd, 2017, 5:39 pm #8651

It's hard to change a culture. 

October 3rd, 2017, 6:10 pm #8652

sec realist wrote: Australia gun control.

Google it.
I've read about it.  It would be tough to do here because of the 2nd amendment and I don't think politicians are willing to go there for political reasons.  There are 300 million guns in the USA and I bet a lot of them are in the hands of swing voters.  Also the data isn't conclusive that it worked.  The question I have is why do they have so few non-terrorist mass killings in Great Britain and Australia?  I think we are very similar to those two countries, but it's rare that they have a nut job kill random people.  

fwiw, I grew up shooting guns and hunting and I own a lot of guns.  Most of them were inherited (I'm the only male in my generation on my mom's side) and they are stored at my folks house.  I have 3 of them here in Colorado.  2 of those are semi automatics and I don't keep them locked up.  I know what your are thinking, but I don't own any bullets!  lol.  I'm not your typical gun owner.  I think we have developed a gun culture in our country that isn't healthy.  Whether it's owning a gun to feel manly or for defense.  Walking around with a loaded gun is one of the dumbest things you can do.  

sec realist
Site Admin

October 4th, 2017, 2:17 am #8653

Not an easy issue. I have guns, too.

That stats are pretty clear in Australia. What they did had an impact.
Live with egrets, not regrets.

October 4th, 2017, 5:26 am #8654

" Walking around with a loaded gun is one of the dumbest things you can do.  "

I disagree ... walking around with a loaded gun might save your life one day ...
Alabama: Heart of the South

October 4th, 2017, 5:28 am #8655

a gun is a tool ... nothing more, nothing less ... and it is a useful tool in the right hands ...

October 4th, 2017, 5:37 am #8656

Kentuckytoo wrote: " Walking around with a loaded gun is one of the dumbest things you can do.  "

I disagree ... walking around with a loaded gun might save your life one day ...
Sure, it could save your life, but it could escalate a situation instead of defusing it or someone could shoot the wrong person.  I'd rather walk away, I'd rather pay attention and not be in a bad part of town at night, I'd rather give the guy my wallet, etc.  

October 4th, 2017, 5:47 am #8657

I love how everyone assumes they would turn into rambo if they had a gun in an emergency situation.   The truth of the matter most people go into survival mode and run.  I can't tell you the number of stories from some of the infantry guys who state they never fired their weapon once the first time they were in combat.  They found a rock and hid behind it.  It takes quite a bit of training and deconditioning of the survival instinct to actually shoot back.  
Being a Vol fan is great except for a few Saturdays in the fall.

October 4th, 2017, 6:12 am #8658

brown dog:
Kentuckytoo wrote: " Walking around with a loaded gun is one of the dumbest things you can do.  "

Sure, it could save your life, but it could escalate a situation instead of defusing it or someone could shoot the wrong person.  I'd rather walk away, I'd rather pay attention and not be in a bad part of town at night, I'd rather give the guy my wallet, etc.  

I want to have an honest discussion with you about this..  a discussion where we listen to one another ... and try to consider each other's point of view ... I can only talk to you from my point of view which is built on my past experiences and observations ... I do agree with you , that there are a lot of needless killings ... where people  shoot each other over trivial matters ... and I too would rather walk away and avoid a fight if I can ... I believe all reasonable people feel this way ... but if someone breaks into my home at night ... or if someone goes berserk in public and starts shooting innocent people ... or if someone tries to mug me , etc .... then I want to have a gun on me to protect myself ... I grew up in Eastern Kentucky ... everyone carried guns.... everyone had 4 or 5 guns in their house ... these guns were tools that were used for hunting and protections ... very seldom were guns ever used to harm another person .. in fact I cant ever remember seeing someone pull a gun on another person to threatened them ... it just wasn't done ...  folks in my part of the country were responsible in their handling and use of guns .. I believe that was because we knew that everyone was carrying a gun ... we knew that you had to be respectful of others and be careful not to offend ...most all disputes were handled in a respectful way ... gun violence wasn't an issue in our culture ...

October 4th, 2017, 6:21 am #8659

gun violence wasn't an issue in our culture ...
In Eastern Kentucky?   That Hatfield/McCoy thing was pretty bloody.   I would argue our country has always been in love with gun violence.  Back to Tombstone and the old west to Bonnie and Clyde and now with Hollywood blockbusters and insanely violent video games.   We love it.  Can't get enough of it.  Now we have opened pandora's box and have no idea how to get the lid back on.  

October 4th, 2017, 6:48 am #8660

To the best of my understanding, this shooter did not carry this out with some of the rifles and guns one would tend to find in the gun cabinet in Easten Kentucky or anywhere else.  He used an already highly illegal weapon.  There laws on the books didn't seem to cause him any pause.

I'm not pro gun.  I have said before I have never fired anything more than a $20 BB gun when I was 10...  But I am saying I don't think more laws will solve much if this shooter already didn't seem to care much about what was legal or not before.

Again I'm not pro gun at all.  If strickter gun control would work then do it.  I'm just saying if be wary that it's the golden key to solving the issue.  These guns he used were already illegal I believe.  Didn't seem to slow him down much.  

October 4th, 2017, 7:17 am #8661

DocVOLiday wrote:
gun violence wasn't an issue in our culture ...
In Eastern Kentucky?   That Hatfield/McCoy thing was pretty bloody.   I would argue our country has always been in love with gun violence.  Back to Tombstone and the old west to Bonnie and Clyde and now with Hollywood blockbusters and insanely violent video games.   We love it.  Can't get enough of it.  Now we have opened pandora's box and have no idea how to get the lid back on.  
yeah, that was a famous , well known feud between two families ... that started in 1863 during the civil war ... a bloody and turbulent time ... ...  12 people were  shot and killed during the 12 year period of the feud ... the Hatfield /McCoy feud was an exception not the general way issues were resolved in Eastern Kentucky ... like I say , most folks respected each other and found ways to avoid trouble and/or solve issues without violence ...  

sec realist
Site Admin

October 4th, 2017, 1:01 pm #8662

A lady on FOX last night had a segment where she asked her audience to "imagine if he had run people over with a truck" and "would there be s nationwide effort at tryck control."

Trucks are registered, insured and tracked upon sale, and drivers are licensed. Hmmm.

Why not have something similar? A gun safety course? Regjstration.

October 4th, 2017, 1:32 pm #8663

In Canada you have to have a licence and take a safety course.  I don't think the licence part is constitutional, but the safety course probably would be.

October 5th, 2017, 9:00 am #8664

You guys seem to know more about financial impacts than I do.   What should we do with Puerto Rico?   My understanding from the news is PR is just about bankrupt with something like 78 billion dollars of debt and no real way to pay it back.  The President mentioned and then backed away forgiving that debt.   What is the implication of doing that?   Even if we forgive their debt it sounds like they will still need billions of dollars to get the society functioning again.  Would it make sense to just use federal funds to replace their entire infrastructure like roads and power grids and then create an easy payment plan for all of their remaining debt?  

Just an interesting aside about the desperation in PR even prior to the hurricane.  At that Virginia Beach 2 week AT I went to a few months ago one of the units was from Puerto Rico.  Super nice guys but they just wore us out.  Every sick call they lined up around the building and told us about every ailment they ever had.  I might have seen around 5 guys from all the other units and easily had 200 visits from the Puerto Ricans.  At first I thought it was a malingering thing.  Maybe hey were looking for a bunch of problems to get documented so they could qualify for more VA benefits after they were done.  I soon realized that these guys did not have doctors in PR.  Apparently the economy is so bad all the docs have moved to the continental US.   Their two week annual training was the only time of their year they could see a doctor.  I am not sure if this adds much to the conversation other than to show some of the desperation there but I did my best to take care of them all.  

October 5th, 2017, 2:30 pm #8665

DocVOLiday wrote: You guys seem to know more about financial impacts than I do.   What should we do with Puerto Rico?   My understanding from the news is PR is just about bankrupt with something like 78 billion dollars of debt and no real way to pay it back.  The President mentioned and then backed away forgiving that debt.   What is the implication of doing that?   Even if we forgive their debt it sounds like they will still need billions of dollars to get the society functioning again.  Would it make sense to just use federal funds to replace their entire infrastructure like roads and power grids and then create an easy payment plan for all of their remaining debt?  
There are a lot of cities and states that are in over their heads in debt.  A lot of it is in Teacher pensions.  The feds can't bail them out because more cities/states would see no problem in racking up debt.  Residents and property owners will eventually have to make up the shortfall or accept drastic cuts in services.  The people with better options will leave, and the area will be in even worse shape.  See Detroit for an example.  I've said it on here before, but there are 2 Americas and it all depends on where you live.  This debt problem is going to make it worse.

As for Puerto Rico, their problem is tourism produces a lot of low paying jobs and then the government has to pay for a lot of medical expenses, affordable housing, transportation, etc.  The solution is to tax the tourist industry and use that money to pay those expenses, but we all know it gets sucked off for pet projects.  The best thing Trump and Co can do is repair the damage to the infrastructure and leave the people of Puerto Rico to deal with their debt problem.   btw, the people of Colorado are starting to relize that the ski industry does the same to us.  

October 16th, 2017, 9:51 am #8666

No matter how you feel about Hollywood's response to all this Harvey Weinstein crap you have to admit the fact Casey Affleck, who has settled two multi-million dollar settlement for sexual harassment, is going to give out the best actress oscar this year is just such a crazy bit of irony.  Amazing considering how preachy Hollywood can be at times that they are so tone deaf on this one.  

October 16th, 2017, 1:44 pm #8667

Enormous influences give Hollywood a lot of power, which should be matched by its sense of responsibility. But that is not happening, because the good ol' boys are running the show ...... they need to be taken to task and made to pay a price ... then things will change ...

October 17th, 2017, 4:32 pm #8668

Last edited by Buckeye Nut on October 18th, 2017, 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 17th, 2017, 7:41 pm #8669

Those pics look photoshopped.

October 18th, 2017, 12:07 am #8670

I meant to submit more as a joke but in hindsight not really that productive of a post.  I just deleted it.  not worth stirring something up over something actually kind of sensitive and serious.  I have no idea if the pics were real. 

October 18th, 2017, 6:17 am #8671

No worries.  

October 25th, 2017, 4:33 am #8672

If anyone gets the chance I would encourage you to listen or read Jeff Flakes speech yesterday.  Read it before the media tells you what to think about it.  I was able to hear it on POTUS unfiltered yesterday and it was truly inspirational.  It reminded me why I was a Republican all those years and helped me realize we do have some people with integrity left in Washington.  

I will add I think what we are seeing with Corker, Flake, McCain, etc. is that Trump's philosophy of bullying and intimidating is not working.  I think he still thought like a CEO in that he speaks and everyone follows orders.  To this day I am not sure he recognizes congress and the Supreme court as an equal branch of government.    

October 25th, 2017, 7:08 am #8673

Slightly political...

I went to see the band Dinosaur Jr last night (still the loudest fucking band ever) and the current Colorado Governor, Hickenlooper, was there.  He is term limited and can't run again, so he is seen as a possible Senator or Presidential nominee for the Dems.  Decent governor and very middle of the road.

October 25th, 2017, 7:54 am #8674

It seems like the Dems should do great around the country this next election.  Trump's low approval ratings combined with all the infighting in the Republican Party seems to tee it up for Dems.  However, I still don't think the Democratic party is aware with just how unpopular they are.  In this reddest of states people still will find a way to justify not voting DNC because they are just evil.  The group the Dems have just absolutely lost is the blue collar guys.  I think for decades they put their faith in the Democrats and did not see their quality of life improve and are now just mad.  

sec realist
Site Admin

October 25th, 2017, 8:45 am #8675

Politics is more tribal now than ever before. Nothing else matters. My team versus your team, is all it is. No natter how bad your own candidate, you'll hate the other one even more (and if you don't, your news sources/friends will get you there).

You can't have political discussions with people any more. You cannit have a reasonable talk with Satan, you know?

Data doesn't matter. Facts don't matter. Nothing matters.

Gerrymandering and money have fucked this country is unimaginably bad ways, and nobody gives a shit.

We're fucked.

October 25th, 2017, 8:57 am #8676

sec realist wrote: Politics is more tribal now than ever before. Nothing else matters. My team versus your team, is all it is. No natter how bad your own candidate, you'll hate the other one even more (and if you don't, your news sources/friends will get you there).

You can't have political discussions with people any more. You cannit have a reasonable talk with Satan, you know?

Data doesn't matter. Facts don't matter. Nothing matters.

Gerrymandering and money have fucked this country is unimaginably bad ways, and nobody gives a shit.

We're fucked.
I really don't agree with that.  
Perhaps look at how people banded together to help neighbors and strangers in Houston.  How people risked their lives to help those in Las Vegas.  Not first responders or police.  Regular citizens

Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, etc work hard to try to paint some big picture of a divided country.  Constant bombardment about divide and differences.  It generates ratings, it moves their purpose along.  But I don't believe it shows the true America.  The majority of America.  If you think the garbage they show is the black and white works we live in, I just don't agree.

Did that mean it's all rosy?  Of course not.  Plenty can improve.  But there is so much more good in people than they want you to believe.

We are not fucked.  Focus on the good and more importantly the good you can do.  And maybe look at examples of that instead of the opposite.

October 25th, 2017, 9:11 am #8677

I am holding out hope that Trump kind of resets the nation.  I am already seeing hard core Trump people here starting to show a little embarrassment over their decision.   The Corker thing is not playing as well for Trump here as I think he thinks it is.  Hopefully when this circus is over we can all come together as a nation, define our core values, and return to civility.  

October 25th, 2017, 9:53 am #8678

I agree with Nut.  Things aren't so great in the political arena, but that's not America.  Sure the tribalism is out of control in both parties, but national elections are won by turning out your own tribe and swaying the undecideds to vote for you.  Trump nailed that by getting out his peeps plus adding the working class in the rust belt.

The Dems need to wake up and start being the party of ideas and action.  That is where Trump is vulnerable.  I'd start with this:  Promise to filibuster any ACA overhaul  that doesn't require congress and their staff to get their insurance through the system.  Show the people you are with them in this struggle.

October 25th, 2017, 11:02 am #8679

America has been in the crapper before too.  I am sure people thought our politics were irreparably broken after Watergate but that preceeded the 80's and unprecedented cooperation.   We have survived bad wars, assasinations, civil rights, Watergate, etc.   I think we bounce back.

BTW, to support my theory that some sanity is returning I watched Colbert's monologue from earlier this week at lunch.  He was discussing all the former Presidents getting together for Hurricane relief.  He ended it saying we miss you George W. Bush.  Come back!   I know he was trying to get a laugh but for a raging liberal like Colbert to even joke that he wants Bush back to me suggests that extremes on both sides are realizing we need a return to normal which I think is a good thing for the country.  

October 25th, 2017, 11:19 am #8680

Need a return to normal? How many more times do politicians need to see that is exactly what s lot of the people don't want? Trump's total rating is low. But you what else is lower I think? Congress and the Senate. To think the nation is fed to with Trump but in love with all of them is dilutional at best on their part.

Trump was not elected despite the love of the current "establishment". He was elected because of the distaste of it. To think they should just ignore that is short sided is my point.

I don't like Trump. I have said that constantly on here. So I'm not a big Trump fan. But that didn't mean I was a fan of the status quo way it was either. The whole thing from Trump down needs a massive overhaul is my point in my opinion.

If Dems are thinking all they have to do is not be Trump but don't have to change they are not winning any big elections either in my opinion.

I'm far from an expert, but those are my thoughts. I do think this " we are angry and we are just going to yell about everything" strategy on the left it going to work either.

October 25th, 2017, 11:21 am #8681

By the way when I use words like dilutional and short sided, I didn't mean your or your post. I meant their thinking. Just wanted to clarify that.

October 25th, 2017, 11:33 am #8682

When I say normal I was meaning to refer to the time before we became so partisan.   I remember Newt and Bill working well together.  Sure they did not agree on everything but they listened to each other.  I think since Bill's impeachment Washington has become so partisan it is worthless.  

October 25th, 2017, 12:04 pm #8683

DocVOLiday wrote: When I say normal I was meaning to refer to the time before we became so partisan.   I remember Newt and Bill working well together.  Sure they did not agree on everything but they listened to each other.  I think since Bill's impeachment Washington has become so partisan it is worthless.  
Thanks for the clarification.  I do wonder is it that much worse now a days, or does the media just paint it out to be that way.  

One news segment won't do that.  But years and years of cnn having drastcally opposed guests on to fight it out, over and over and over again will start to built an impression that represents normal every day interactions.

It may not be much of a coincidence about the time of Clinton's romp was the beginning of the cable news shows etc

But yes I do get what you mean.

October 25th, 2017, 12:25 pm #8684

One other thing (I'm on a roll today..)

One does need to wonder what having social media, access to so many messages all day long etc may contribute Towards feeling like things are just so much worse or more divided or just plain exhausting now a days.

Years ago you may hear about politics on the evening news.  Maybe a quick joke on late night show.

Now people get up, are on phone 1 minute after opening their eyes, have constant ability to receive information.  Go to Facebook, boom half the chatter is still politics.  Want to check the news.  Boom right in front of you.

I have a Eucre app I use to play a quick game usually before bed.  When you first log in there is a chat room while it tries to find three other players.  Mostly it's political quick messages there.  In an app to play a stupid card game.

It is endless quite frankly.  

Can't even turn on an NFL game without it being a topic.

And I know how hypocritical it is for me to comment about how hard it is to get away from it while I post on a board about it ha ha

November 7th, 2017, 4:27 am #8685

I am curious, do any of you conservative posters like this Tax plan?   Here is a good article written by a conservative on why it is crap:  http://www.wgmd.com/i039m-a-conservativ ... -tax-plan/.  Is it conservative to reduce the marriage benefit, remove any exemptions for adoptions, and raise taxes on professionals?   (yes, full disclosure, under this plan my taxes will go way up by 2023 but if it helps a 1% get another Bugatti Veyron then tax me into the ground).   Is it a Christian thing to do to remove exemptions for medical expenses or is the RNC finally admitting we are going to a universal payer?   Is it a wise move to lower the mortgage interest deduction in a housing market that is just starting to recover?   I guess the American dream of owning a home only counts in states with low home ownership costs.  Is it wise to remove the American Opportunity Tax Credit which encourages people to go to post-secondary school such as colleges or trade schools?  Correct me if I am wrong but don't people with post high school educations pay more over their lifetime in taxes?   Wouldn't it be a conservative value to encourage them to get all the training and education they can get so they can realize their highest value?  

Maybe most importantly is the lie that this is a tax simplification plan that can fit on a postcard.   This is even more convoluted than before.   

sec realist
Site Admin

November 7th, 2017, 5:58 am #8686

The top 1% of earners get 50% of the tax cuts.

The top .1% get 25% of all cuts.

Because populism I guess?

A tax code designed to help out all those hard working coal miners.

November 7th, 2017, 6:05 am #8687

I will say I have been talking to a lot of hard core conservatives today about this and I am finding very little support for it.  My extreme right wing patients are just getting angrier and angrier at the Republicans in congress and their overwhelming incompetence.  I have a feeling incumbent Republicans in congress are about to be destroyed by their own base.  I am a little scared on who they will vote to replace them though.  We may see even more extreme congressmen.  

November 7th, 2017, 8:48 am #8688

I'm all for simplifying the tax code.  I'm fine with some things I support or take advantage of getting cut as long as the cuts are across the board.  

Take the mortgage deduction.  I'm all for it up to the first $150k of the mortgage.  That way it'll help people get started, but it will also not be a reason to get a HUGE mortgage.  We want people to buy their home, but we also want them to pay it off by the time they retire.  My financial adviser always tells me I need a bigger mortgage.  

Also, I'm not really for tax cuts.  We got a lot of debt to pay down.

Has anyone seen a non-partisan break down of the tax plan?  I haven't been looking very hard, but so far I haven't come across one.  

November 7th, 2017, 9:01 am #8689

I am not sure I have seen a non-partisan but I have yet to see a positive review from either side.  The liberal sites hate it because it benefits the wealthy so much.  The conservative sites hate it for all the reasons I mentioned above.  Fox news is where I found that "I am a conservative and I hate this tax plan" opinion piece I linked above.  The tea party guys hates that it will raise the deficit so much.  It is truly an unloved bill.  

sec realist
Site Admin

November 7th, 2017, 9:52 am #8690

We're not taxed oppressively as is often claimed.

Do you want a strong defense, Medicare and Social Security OR do you want massive tax cuts? Can't have the latter without significantly slashing parts of the former substantially.

November 27th, 2017, 6:36 am #8691

I found this hilarious for some reason:

November 27th, 2017, 7:06 am #8692

I made the trip back to ATL for Thanksgiving and got the full treatment.  Exhausting.

November 27th, 2017, 7:33 am #8693

I was with my in laws.  I can at least respect them because they are honest.  They dislike Trump and his tweets and are ashamed of what he is doing to the reputation of the POTUS and the US.   They do still feel the conservative agenda is best and are happy Hillary is not spreading what they believe to be a radical progressive agenda.  The people that really irk me is the ones who explain away all of Trump's sincere flaws just because he is "their guy."  My most recent favorite example of the severe hypocrisy of some on the right was the defense of Roy Moore saying Mary was a teenager when she got pregnant with Jesus.  Wow. 

December 11th, 2017, 4:27 am #8694

A liberal Democratic group has started running adds in Alabama to write in Nick Saban instead of voting for Roy Moore.   Senator Saban.   Yikes.

December 13th, 2017, 5:54 am #8695

Moore losing was the best thing that could have happened for the RNC.   Lets be honest, they will most likely win that seat back almost immediately when they have a less flawed candidate and if the RNC wants to still be perceived as the morally superior party which the Evangelicals would argue they are then they needed Moore to lose.  

December 13th, 2017, 5:36 pm #8696

Hopefully it will force the parties to realize they can't put lipstick on a pig and think he will get elected.

December 19th, 2017, 9:58 am #8697

We’re witnessing the wholesale looting of America
Unchecked by norms or political prudence, it’s smash-and-grab time for the GOP
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... of-america

sec realist
Site Admin

December 20th, 2017, 5:25 am #8698

Amazing what we're watching.

Political tribalism is far more powerful than self interests, it seems. Social security, Medicare and Medicaid are on the chopping block next. People would rather vote for a pedophile than a Democrat in some parts, and those people like to think of themselves as morally superior too.

Gerrymandered districts and obscene money in politics have nearly destroyed our democracy. So what id a few GOPers lose their reelection? They'll get hired by their donors at 20 times the pay.

I am actually scared that the country falls apart abd that it doesn't survive as currently constructed. We're fucked.

December 21st, 2017, 5:15 am #8699

Since we don't laugh enough about politics I will share my humorous story on this tax thing.  This morning before breakfast I pulled up the new tax brackets and saw for my wife and I's bracket we were going up from 33 to 35% which would have meant we would owe about 8 grand more.  I was livid.  I already had a diatribe prepared to post here with a great quote from Napoleon about Kings and Pawns.   My lovely wife glanced at it and saw I was looking at the unmarried rate and that as a married couple filing jointly it actually drops 1%.   I should still be mad the super wealthy are getting a much bigger cut but at least it is not going up.  I had to figure out what to do with all my displaced anger though.

I will add this simple question though.  What happened to the Tea Party guys?  Suddenly it does not seem the deficit matters.  Those guys were full of shit.

sec realist
Site Admin

December 21st, 2017, 5:20 am #8700

It was never about deficits.