the family brag thread . . .

sec realist
Site Admin

March 12th, 2018, 6:56 pm #301

brown dog wrote: Good stuff!  How old is he now?
He's 10. 

Long way to go still, but he's a beast. I think the gap between him and most of the rest is growing.

He's throwing a curve ball now that's nasty as it can be. Brutal on kids. Throws both two and four seam fast balls and a circle change (struggling with that pitch right now).

He locates his pitches and throws with a lot of velocity. He overpowers most. I've only seen two kids with comparable arms, but they weren't nearly as accurate.

Nasty pick off moves taugh to him by a former mlb pitcher.

He's probably one of the most complete pitchers in this age group in this part of Florida. I've seen most of the best as he's been playing travel ball now for three years.

He's worked his ass off to get to this point. He loves it. Wakes up sometimes and watches YouTube videos of baseball players.
Live with egrets, not regrets.

March 14th, 2018, 4:53 am #302

Nice!  4th grade?  I miss the elementary school years.

My oldest received her varsity letter this sunday evening in swimming.  Only a few freshman meet the criteria, so it was a big deal for her.  Hopefully she can keep it up and letter all 4 years.  She turned 15 yesterday, so she is at a crazy age.  I think I'll survive.  maybe.

sec realist
Site Admin

March 14th, 2018, 5:16 am #303

Yep, 4th grade. Fun times.

Daughter is 14 and in 8th. She's hormonal and nutty. Teenager. Not nearly as fun at this age. Good girl, though. Just moody as fuck.

She goes to NYC and Washington, DC next week. Her and her buddy and some other school kids. Growing up.

sec realist
Site Admin

March 23rd, 2018, 8:57 am #304

Big tournament this weekend, starting tonight.

His era is currently 0.77.

He's allowing a batting average of .121.

What makes those numbers even more impressive is that he usually faces the best team every weekend they play. 

sec realist
Site Admin

March 26th, 2018, 9:32 am #305

All good things come to an end.

G pitches yesterday in the semifinal game. They were having him for the championship game, but had to bring him in in the top of the fourth. 

He stuck out two in the fourth and got a weak fly ball, struck out two in the fifth and got a weak ground ball, and then struck out the first two in the sixth. 

He hit the next batter. 

The next guy bunted and the next guy hit a weak ground ball to the short stop who booted the ball. Should have been out of the inning.

Bases loaded. 

He got two strikes on the batter and then gave up a grand slam.

Ouch!

He struck the next guy out, so at least he didn't fall apart mentally.

Learning experience for sure. 

sec realist
Site Admin

March 26th, 2018, 9:33 am #306

Auto correct on this devise sucks!

sec realist
Site Admin

April 7th, 2018, 5:27 am #307

Tournament started last night.

4-4 with 4 walks.

Brought him in to close a game. Runners on first and second with no outs bottom of sixth. Seven pitches thrown, two weak ground balls outs and a strike out. 

Off today and then bracket play on Sunday.

sec realist
Site Admin

April 8th, 2018, 3:36 pm #308

Four perfect innings today, followed by a bad fifth. Gabe up 6 hits and five rimd (not helped by two errors).

Still playing well.

Should have taken him out due to pitch count, but didn't.

sec realist
Site Admin

April 15th, 2018, 5:45 am #309

Double-header yesterday.

3-4 with 2 walks. 3 RBIs.

Pitched 2 perfect innings. Struck out 5.

Monster.

Side note: his teammate's older brother just got an offer at Florida Southern. D2 school out of Lakeland. Good for him.

He apparently was always a kid at the bottom of the roster, but just kept plugging away. Kept grinding.

Great for motivation.

sec realist
Site Admin

April 22nd, 2018, 4:53 am #310

3-4, 3 RBIs and 4 walks yesterday. Just keeps mashing. They pitch around him lots of times, hence the 4 walks.

25-26 stealing bases on the year.

OB% over .825

sec realist
Site Admin

April 23rd, 2018, 6:40 am #311

1-5 with three k's today. One walk.

Ugly. Looked tentative at the plate.

Pitched. Didn't have his fastball velocity. Good location, and won the game but not his best.

I think he's in a growth spurt. He's put on three pounds in teo weeks, and so he's exhausted. Going to rest him this week.

April 23rd, 2018, 7:08 am #312

sec realist wrote: 1-5 with three k's today. One walk.

Ugly. Looked tentative at the plate.

Pitched. Didn't have his fastball velocity. Good location, and won the game but not his best.

I think he's in a growth spurt. He's put on three pounds in teo weeks, and so he's exhausted. Going to rest him this week.
I agree completely to rest him.  You have always been on the ball with that.  If I had a dollar for every kid who was ruined by overuse injuries I would be a wealthy man.   If his coach gives you a hard time tell him to go screw himself, your thinking about the long game.  
"Gentlemen, touchdowns follow blocking as sure night follows day" -Gen Neyland

sec realist
Site Admin

May 8th, 2018, 4:53 am #313

Pitched this past weekend. Velocity still down. Location off, too.

He's done pitching for the season. Two more tournaments and it's over anyway.

His batting average is .548, which is down a touch. Average isn't the best indicator, though. He's hitting the ball hard.

Playing a mean thrid base.

Off season will be about speed training, strengthening his core and legs and hitting the beach. We'll hit and field some, but he's getting away from it for a while.

He wants to play rec soccer, so we'll give that a go.