sec realist
Site Admin

March 12th, 2018, 6:56 pm #301

brown dog wrote: Good stuff!  How old is he now?
He's 10. 

Long way to go still, but he's a beast. I think the gap between him and most of the rest is growing.

He's throwing a curve ball now that's nasty as it can be. Brutal on kids. Throws both two and four seam fast balls and a circle change (struggling with that pitch right now).

He locates his pitches and throws with a lot of velocity. He overpowers most. I've only seen two kids with comparable arms, but they weren't nearly as accurate.

Nasty pick off moves taugh to him by a former mlb pitcher.

He's probably one of the most complete pitchers in this age group in this part of Florida. I've seen most of the best as he's been playing travel ball now for three years.

He's worked his ass off to get to this point. He loves it. Wakes up sometimes and watches YouTube videos of baseball players.
Live with egrets, not regrets.

March 14th, 2018, 4:53 am #302

Nice!  4th grade?  I miss the elementary school years.

My oldest received her varsity letter this sunday evening in swimming.  Only a few freshman meet the criteria, so it was a big deal for her.  Hopefully she can keep it up and letter all 4 years.  She turned 15 yesterday, so she is at a crazy age.  I think I'll survive.  maybe.

sec realist
Site Admin

March 14th, 2018, 5:16 am #303

Yep, 4th grade. Fun times.

Daughter is 14 and in 8th. She's hormonal and nutty. Teenager. Not nearly as fun at this age. Good girl, though. Just moody as fuck.

She goes to NYC and Washington, DC next week. Her and her buddy and some other school kids. Growing up.

sec realist
Site Admin

March 23rd, 2018, 8:57 am #304

Big tournament this weekend, starting tonight.

His era is currently 0.77.

He's allowing a batting average of .121.

What makes those numbers even more impressive is that he usually faces the best team every weekend they play. 

sec realist
Site Admin

March 26th, 2018, 9:32 am #305

All good things come to an end.

G pitches yesterday in the semifinal game. They were having him for the championship game, but had to bring him in in the top of the fourth. 

He stuck out two in the fourth and got a weak fly ball, struck out two in the fifth and got a weak ground ball, and then struck out the first two in the sixth. 

He hit the next batter. 

The next guy bunted and the next guy hit a weak ground ball to the short stop who booted the ball. Should have been out of the inning.

Bases loaded. 

He got two strikes on the batter and then gave up a grand slam.

Ouch!

He struck the next guy out, so at least he didn't fall apart mentally.

Learning experience for sure. 

sec realist
Site Admin

March 26th, 2018, 9:33 am #306

Auto correct on this devise sucks!

sec realist
Site Admin

April 7th, 2018, 5:27 am #307

Tournament started last night.

4-4 with 4 walks.

Brought him in to close a game. Runners on first and second with no outs bottom of sixth. Seven pitches thrown, two weak ground balls outs and a strike out. 

Off today and then bracket play on Sunday.

sec realist
Site Admin

April 8th, 2018, 3:36 pm #308

Four perfect innings today, followed by a bad fifth. Gabe up 6 hits and five rimd (not helped by two errors).

Still playing well.

Should have taken him out due to pitch count, but didn't.

sec realist
Site Admin

April 15th, 2018, 5:45 am #309

Double-header yesterday.

3-4 with 2 walks. 3 RBIs.

Pitched 2 perfect innings. Struck out 5.

Monster.

Side note: his teammate's older brother just got an offer at Florida Southern. D2 school out of Lakeland. Good for him.

He apparently was always a kid at the bottom of the roster, but just kept plugging away. Kept grinding.

Great for motivation.

sec realist
Site Admin

April 22nd, 2018, 4:53 am #310

3-4, 3 RBIs and 4 walks yesterday. Just keeps mashing. They pitch around him lots of times, hence the 4 walks.

25-26 stealing bases on the year.

OB% over .825

sec realist
Site Admin

April 23rd, 2018, 6:40 am #311

1-5 with three k's today. One walk.

Ugly. Looked tentative at the plate.

Pitched. Didn't have his fastball velocity. Good location, and won the game but not his best.

I think he's in a growth spurt. He's put on three pounds in teo weeks, and so he's exhausted. Going to rest him this week.

April 23rd, 2018, 7:08 am #312

sec realist wrote: 1-5 with three k's today. One walk.

Ugly. Looked tentative at the plate.

Pitched. Didn't have his fastball velocity. Good location, and won the game but not his best.

I think he's in a growth spurt. He's put on three pounds in teo weeks, and so he's exhausted. Going to rest him this week.
I agree completely to rest him.  You have always been on the ball with that.  If I had a dollar for every kid who was ruined by overuse injuries I would be a wealthy man.   If his coach gives you a hard time tell him to go screw himself, your thinking about the long game.  
Being a Vol fan is great except for a few Saturdays in the fall.

sec realist
Site Admin

May 8th, 2018, 4:53 am #313

Pitched this past weekend. Velocity still down. Location off, too.

He's done pitching for the season. Two more tournaments and it's over anyway.

His batting average is .548, which is down a touch. Average isn't the best indicator, though. He's hitting the ball hard.

Playing a mean thrid base.

Off season will be about speed training, strengthening his core and legs and hitting the beach. We'll hit and field some, but he's getting away from it for a while.

He wants to play rec soccer, so we'll give that a go.

sec realist
Site Admin

June 5th, 2018, 6:09 am #314

Finished the season batting .541 with 39 rbi's.

ERA was confusing, but I think it ended up under 2.0, which is obviously fantastic. Didn't finish the season as good as he started, though.

Side note: of last night's MLB first round draft, 8 of the top 30 were from Florida and 12 of the top 43 were from Florida.

This state is loaded with both football and baseball talent!

June 5th, 2018, 7:58 am #315

This state is loaded with both football and baseball talent!
I think it is just the law of averages.  Florida is the 4th most populous state with over 18 million people.  For perspective that is twice the popluation of Georgia and three times the population of Tennessee.   Granted, a lot of those people are old with fanny packs, navy socks and Birkenstocks but you still have a lot of kids to pull from.  

sec realist
Site Admin

June 5th, 2018, 8:18 am #316

No doubt it plays a part.

The bonus for Florida players is that they get to compete against the best week in and week out. That makes them better.

June 5th, 2018, 8:40 am #317

And their season is year round.    A lot of parents up north send their kids down there in the winter to all kinds of sports camps.  

sec realist
Site Admin

June 5th, 2018, 9:25 am #318

Florida doesn't have over a quarter of the youth in the country, though. More than most, for sure.

The numbers are impressive no matter how you slice them up.

sec realist
Site Admin

June 13th, 2018, 5:00 am #319

G has started his off season conditioning program, and it's kicking his ass! Great former division 1 athletes running the joint.

They're primarily focused on speed, which means they're addressing stength and form. Legs and core.

It's good stuff. Twice a week. We may bump that up to three next month as he gets more acclimated to the grind.

It never stops.

sec realist
Site Admin

June 17th, 2018, 7:18 am #320

Long tossed on Thursday, and the little guy threw the ball 185 feetin the air. That translates to something like 63-65 mph. He can't do it from the mound, but him seeing he's capable of more velo will push him hone his mechanics. Love it!!

sec realist
Site Admin

July 4th, 2018, 8:26 am #321

Hit 58 last night. Fast ball is climbing in velo.

Working on correct arm slot for his change up last night. As a righty, that pitch dives in towards right handed hitters. It moves about 12-16 inches in and drops off the table, all late action. He throws it about 48-50 mph.

Devastating pitch.

And his curve is doing whicked things too.

July 5th, 2018, 10:24 am #322

Real, since you keep up with baseball what is going on this year in the Majors?  Homeruns are up but batting averages are down.  A buddy of mine was saying that the bats used to be Ash which is a softer wood and now they are harder woods like Maple which may explain the increase in HRs but not the decreased batting averages.  Are the pitchers just getting better?

sec realist
Site Admin

July 5th, 2018, 3:49 pm #323

The pitching is better and the hitters are swinging differently than they were before.

Pitchers velocity keeps going up. It's nothing to see pitchers touch 100 in today's game.

The hitters are now swinging with a slight uppercut. The swing plane is different than what it was years ago. They used to coach you to hit ground balls, not it's all about getting the ball in the air.

Today's game is just a different animal than it used to be.

July 6th, 2018, 4:21 am #324

I noticed that.  I have gone decades without watching Major League Baseball but have been watching more because my buddy here whose brother is Justin Smoak of the Blue Jays always has a game on when I am at his house.  I notice no one bunts anymore.  No more sacrifices.  

For your son to compete at that level will he need to throw the ball that hard?  Is there still room in the game for a Greg Maddux type pitcher with a mid-80's fastball?

sec realist
Site Admin

July 6th, 2018, 10:56 am #325

The problem is that they don't give chances to guys that don't throw hard. A kid throwing 85 isn't going to sniff a meaningful pro contract. Heck, that kid will be lucky to get a scholarship at a big division 1 school.

They've learned a lot about throwing hard, though. A solid Olympic style weight lifting program can add several mph to most any athlete. So, everyone is working harder in the gym.

My son is starting that process now. He's 10, but we're already working on mobility and strength. No weights, but prepping the body for when they get introduced.

sec realist
Site Admin

August 3rd, 2018, 5:04 am #326

G's off-season physical training was on full display last night.

He's been working really hard in the gym and with conditioning.

Last night had team had their first practice. The hired a trainer to work the boys hard at the end of practices. Last night they went high intensity.

G was the first one done on every drill, and had great form. Other kids laid in the ground when it was done, gasping for air. G went for a kick ball and started playing dodge ball with some older kids. It hardly phased him. Love it!!