the family brag thread . . .

sec realist
Site Admin

June 24th, 2015, 5:43 am #101

Okay, so lesson number two with the new hitting coach. It was probably the single most informative coaching session I've ever seen.

He had G take a few cuts at soft toss, then gave him about ten pitches. That was it. G hit the ball like he usually does.

Then, he walked both of us over to the "office," opened up his computer and showed us a clip of Evan Longoria taking a swing. It was in super slow motion, and the coach was putting lines on the screen, explaining angles to my son and showing him exactly what he wanted him to accomplish. He was telling him some technical terms and saying "when I say this, this is what I mean." Really smart.

Then, he pulled up video of my son that he had secretly recorded from earlier and did a split screen with the Longoria swing. My son's favorite player? Longoria. So yes, he was ear to ear smiling.

He walked both swings through, side by side, and showed my son exactly where he is and where he's taking him and how he's going to get there while comparing him with a professional hitter.

He pointed out two things in his swing that he's going to work on: shorten the swing a bit and work on his torso tilt. The shortening of the swing should be an easy fix. The torso tilt is a higher level batting fundamental, and is something that's going to take a bit of time and a lot of effort. Hard work.

One thing by son has been working is dropping his back knee so that his body can rotate with force and balance. He's been working really hard at it, and it's been difficult at times - fits and starts, but progress was made. The coach showed him his knee positioning on the screen, and said that it was as good as it could possibly be. What a moment of pride for my son, huh? "Hard work pays off" is a family mantra, and you bet your ass I reinforced that in the moment.

And he showed his spine angle and follow through, and was all smiles. Hand position, head bob, palm positioning, stride and all kinds of stuff were briefly discussed, but said that hardly any of it mattered right now. He talked about G having a great, great foundation and a knack for putting the barrel on the bat. The coach said he was as advanced a batter as he's seen for the age and that he's going to be working on swing issues that most kids (that receive instruction) don't get introduced to until 11 or so.

What a lesson.
Live with egrets, not regrets.

June 24th, 2015, 6:00 am #102

reminds me of golf swing lessons.

sec realist
Site Admin

June 25th, 2015, 7:02 pm #103

Yep. I think the technology they're using was initially designed for golf. They've had it reprogrammed to fit their needs, though.

sec realist
Site Admin

July 1st, 2015, 1:04 pm #104

He latest lessons was heavy in thought.

He started working on what to do with pitches that are inside versus middle of the plate versus outside. Then he connected those thoughts with torso tilt.

That on the back of shortening up the swing and G's head started to spin. He was lost for a little bit.

The coach said he doesn't expect G to learn it any time soon, but wants him to get familiar with the terms, the thoughts and the fact that he has a lot to learn.

He spent some time in the automated cage after that, and did about the same as always. The coach asked him, "do you think any kids you're going to be facing are going to throw as hard as the machine pitches?" G just smiled, and then he said "I don't care how hard they throw." Love the confidence.

sec realist
Site Admin

July 2nd, 2015, 5:25 am #105

Took him down to the field yesterday to practice fielding grounders and work on footwork in the field. He's just so smooth with his glove, it's really pretty to watch. It's hard to get balls past him now. I hit the ball hard, too.

We're starting to work on extending his range, and that's a bit more difficult to work on as some of that is innate athleticism. So, we're addressing it in a couple of the different ways.

First, we've started doing some jump rope. Want to strengthen your calf muscles and work on some cardio? Try jumping rope. I've laid down a challenge for him. 500 consecutive jumps nets him $10. 1000 nets him $25. I can't tell you how many times he's jumped over the last few weeks. We make it a family challenge event, too. The kids always are more interested when the parents get involved, and so I give it a go at times as well. (My daughter the dancer just kills us, by the way. Her record is 227, mine is 103 and his is 87.)

Second, we're training for a 5k. Lots of running always helps. We run three or four times a week for distance.

Third, we're working on cone drills for sprinting, change of direction and agility. He loves it. (And we do some standing broad jumps, too.)

Just trying to strengthen those legs every way we can. Lots of biking, swimming, running and jumping. (It beats the hell out of playing video games all day, huh?)

It's a process.

He's has team practice tonight.

sec realist
Site Admin

July 14th, 2015, 7:09 pm #106

A little update on the progress of his team practices:

The coaches are doing a really good job of structuring practices, ensuring that the kids are active and involved and that the drills they're using are teaching the game. And they're positive guys too, and that's not always the case.

The one thing that I am concerned about is "daddy ball." They have four coaches, and that means that there are four coaches kids, and that means that the positions of 1st, 2nd, 3rd and SS - the prime spots in baseball at this age - have favorites. The head coach's kid looks to be the short stop, although my son is better at fielding, throwing and baseball smarts (the other kid has a bit better range - maybe two feet? - but doesn't field the ball nearly as clean). Another coach's kid looks like he's going to start at 3rd, although he can't get the ball across the infield consistently. Second looks to be spoken for (by another coach's kid, of course) by a kid that struggles quite a bit. And first is likely locked up by a coach's kid - but he deserves it, that kid can play some ball. I was trying to avoid this.

So, that leaves me with the question of whether or not I'm okay with kids potentially starting ahead of him that he's better than. Is it about merit or not?

My answer at this point is that since I'm satisfied with the practice structure, and I'm happy with the environment the coaches are creating, and I'm encouraged that he's playing alongside kids in his age range and I'm not too worried that he's going to get stiffed significant playing time (although it likely won't be consistently at any position), I'm okay with whatever happens on the field. Practices are where kids get better, not games. Practices are where kids work hard and improve, not necessarily games. And so I'm not too worried about whatever happens. It's about improvement, not batting average at this age.

And the other point? Him not starting at short might fan his competitive juices, which are serious.

As far as the practice, he's been killing it. He just keeps getting better.

sec realist
Site Admin

July 18th, 2015, 5:10 am #107

Want to talk about an observant and experienced coach? Check this out. He had a hitting lesson last night, and didn't do his best (or at least what he normally does). His technique was a bit off - his swing was a bit disjointed and his hips weren't in the right position. He never really shook it during the lesson either, he just wasn't sharp.

(He spent some time in the cage after, and struggled a bit in there too. G was not happy.)

After about 15 minutes or so into the lesson, the coach walked over to me and, out of the blue, asked how much golf he'd been playing lately. (G has been going to the range with me quite a bit over the last three weeks or so.) Pretty amazing that he quickly diagnosed not only what was going on with his swing but where the problems came from. He said he could tell he'd been playing golf because of his hands and his hips.

He said that he should stay away from golf for a few years or else we'll risk messing his baseball swing up. He said that not only would we screw up the baseball swing, but that his golf swing would be majorly flawed as well. (He said it's tough for preteens to be able to do both effectively.) This is going to be tough for G as he's loves being on the range with me. We were going to play a round this past week, but it's been raining near-constantly.

Anyway, team practice tomorrow, another hitting lesson Monday and another team practice Tuesday.

He's been given two drills to get the swing back spinning like a top. He wants G to slowly swing the bat and stop at the contact zone, and at that point I'm to push him over. If he quickly falls, his balance is wrong; if he's able to stay on his feet without much effort, he's in a good spot. And the second drill is tee work on the outside of the plate with the ball teed high.

July 20th, 2015, 5:54 am #108

I haven't been posting as much lately because I've been busy enjoying the summer. Here is the family heading down from Quandary Peak. It's over 14,000 feet and an eight mile round trip hike.

July 20th, 2015, 6:05 am #109

Wow, that is beautiful. A little taller than the Blue Ridge Mountains back home huh?
"Gentlemen, touchdowns follow blocking as sure night follows day" -Gen Neyland

July 20th, 2015, 6:09 am #110

Yeah. Definitely taller. I was really impressed with my kids. Tough climb and they never wavered. There was still some snow up there and we had to cross about 100 yds of it in to get to the top. On the way down they sat on their windbreakers and sledded down:

Sledding in July.

July 20th, 2015, 6:11 am #111

The first time I saw the Rockies was how in your face those mountains are. You can be miles away and it is like you can touch them. The Smokies are more gradual and tiny in comparison.

July 20th, 2015, 6:23 am #112

creekdweller wrote:The first time I saw the Rockies was how in your face those mountains are. You can be miles away and it is like you can touch them. The Smokies are more gradual and tiny in comparison.

Definitely. I remember flying in to Denver and my jaw dropping. I imagine the first settlers must have been blown away when they emerged from the great plains and saw their next obstacle.

July 20th, 2015, 6:24 am #113

baby girl got most improved swimmer

July 20th, 2015, 6:25 am #114

Nice. Does she give up dance for swimming?

July 20th, 2015, 6:36 am #115

brown_DOG_US wrote:Nice. Does she give up dance for swimming?

no way! she is a dancer...she even skipped practice all week for dance camp before championships. But we had coach do private work with her in the evenings. She did an under water pull out on her breast stroke and had all the coaches saying "where the hell did that come from!" Apparently 8 and under girls dont do that?

She finished top 15 in the county in breast stroke after being in the 100's last season. She is strictly a summer swiimmer

sec realist
Site Admin

July 20th, 2015, 5:33 pm #116

Cool deal on the award. I bet she's feeling like a million dollars.

And great pictures from above. Not my kind of real estate, but beautiful nonetheless.

sec realist
Site Admin

July 20th, 2015, 5:50 pm #117

Another lesson tonight.

The coach said that G's close to having a picture perfect swing for his age, and that all he needs for it at this point is a better bat path (and then tweaks and modifications as he grows). So, this week's homework includes no full swings. None.

All he wants this week is 75 slow motion swings each day that stop at point of impact - no balls, no follow-throughs, no full swings at all. Each day he wants the half-swing to increase in speed to the point where he will need to some wrist strength to stop the swing. He wants him to do 10 with his eyes closed sometime sprinkled among the other swings - he wants him to really "feel" what the action is like, and how his swing impacts his balance.

His time in the cage was pretty impressive today. We've moved his lesson back a bit in the day going forward. There were a lot more people in the building and a lot more eyes on G, but he seems to like being the center of attention and likes people to see him succeed. He had a blast being watched, if nothing else.

He has team practice twice this week. The coach wants to start building his pitching rotation, and so he's identified five guys that will get the coaching attention and practice time. G is one of them right now. There's another kid that looks pretty good pitching and will almost certainly be the "ace," two others that look like they have some potential (just awful mechanics), another kid that looks like he's going to struggle quite a bit, and G (he's pretty good, strong arm and pretty good location, he should be a regular on the mound).

sec realist
Site Admin

July 22nd, 2015, 9:56 am #118

So, last night's practice started to separate the wheat from the chaff on the team.

To this point, there had been a lot of drill work, a lot of technique work and a lot of teaching the kids how to practice, but last night was a bit different. It was heavy on infield work - ground balls, turning two, throwing to the right bases - with a bit of base running worked in to up the stakes some.

I hit grounders as the main coaches were providing on the spot teaching and tips in real time - it was great to watch, and good for the kids too. Very fluid and informative for the kids.

I did what I normally do when it comes to G, which is to blister the shit out of the the ball and make it really tough on him. I rarely give him easy balls to field, and I wasn't about to start last night. For everyone else, I eased up a bit (I didn't want to be responsible for breaking anyone's nose.) Even at that speed, many of the kids struggled. The head coach's kid is pretty good, but he's not in G's class (at least he wasn't last night; I think he's scared of the ball). G stole the show.

This team is going to struggle when it comes to catcher, depth at pitching and probably hitting. This level of ball allows the kids to steal just as the ball leaves the pitcher's hand, and there's not a catcher on the team that can make the throw to second in time. Pitching is going to be difficult, too. This is a team that's going to take its lumps.

There was a 7u team practicing on an adjacent field. That team is the "right" age for G, but they looked like a bunch of midgets out there. G would have been afraid to hurt them.

sec realist
Site Admin

July 24th, 2015, 6:37 am #119

G hit one out of the park last night during practice! They were practicing on a 120 foot field, so it wasn't on the "standard" field for the age (200 feet) - but a dinger is a dinger, and I can't recall a bigger smile on his face! It was a bomb, and everyone knew it was gone as soon as he hit it. Hooting and hollering from everyone.

Plus, he dominated with field work.

He's always known he's good, but last night the competitive juices really started to pump and he decided to show out. I've been busting his ass a little bit, telling him if he wants to play short stop he's going to have to yank it from the coach's kid's mouth. I've told him that he's going to have to dominate every rep and every opportunity, and he's going to have to make sure that every watching knows for sure that he's the guy. Competitive streaks can be great motivators, huh? Whatever the reasoning, he's been well motivated.

I've been on him about throwing velocity during drill work as he sometimes eases it over to his target instead just letting it fly, but he's improved recently. Last night he was throwing about 90% of velocity (which I call "perfect speed"). I don't recall him missing a throw, either.

He fielded everything hit his way cleanly, used great footwork and then made great throws. It was really something to see.

Perhaps the best part? He's enjoying his teammates. They cut up, laugh and have a great time. He's having a lot of fun right now.

sec realist
Site Admin

July 29th, 2015, 10:49 am #120

We hit the cages on Monday for lessons and reps.

What stood out that night was another kid. He was in the cage next to G and was murdering the ball, time after time. He was locked in and squaring everything up - it was an amazing display, really. There were people just standing around watching him, including my son who I caught staring a time or two.

This kid was a small 10. His hitting instructor is my son's coach, and has been going to him for a year and a half. I asked G's coach about the kid: he said he's that good because of mechanics, because of hard work and because he just lives for it. Sometimes when his parents want to go get a bite to eat, they just drop him off and he hangs there for a couple of hours hitting countless balls. Talk about an elite-level kid.

July 29th, 2015, 11:02 am #121

sec realist wrote:We hit the cages on Monday for lessons and reps.

What stood out that night was another kid. He was in the cage next to G and was murdering the ball, time after time. He was locked in and squaring everything up - it was an amazing display, really. There were people just standing around watching him, including my son who I caught staring a time or two.

This kid was a small 10. His hitting instructor is my son's coach, and has been going to him for a year and a half. I asked G's coach about the kid: he said he's that good because of mechanics, because of hard work and because he just lives for it. Sometimes when his parents want to go get a bite to eat, they just drop him off and he hangs there for a couple of hours hitting countless balls. Talk about an elite-level kid.
reminds me of a kid that swims here in Greenville...or did swim...he is taking some time off but this kid is Olympic level good if he doesnt get burnt out. His name is Nils. Last year at state he was coming off knee surgery and hadnt swam so he used his times from the year before...put him in the slower heats and he still won every single event he swam in except one butterfly event and swam AAAA times which is the elite of the elite. Kid is amazing and fun to watch. I caught myself watching him when he was swimming against my son in back stroke last year in summer swim. My son finished second in a 25m (1 lap) and he was at the wall when my son was at the ropes. And my son is one of top back strokers in the state

sec realist
Site Admin

July 31st, 2015, 9:48 am #122

During a break in practice last night, G's coach said to me, "Holy shit your son's really good!" And then proceeded to ask me how interested I'd be in him working out with a more advanced team. He said he has a friend who coaches a 10u group that's pretty good and that travels quite a bit around the state playing tournaments. He said that he has already talked to that guy and that G has been extended an invitation to work out with the team.

He said he still wants G on his team but that this would be more about giving him more advanced coaching and competition. Plus, he said that G would probably get invites to play the occasional tournament with that group when they were short on players. He said he doesn't want to lose his best player but that he also doesn't want to hold any of the kids back.

Not sure how I feel about it but agreed that I would meet with the coach and talk it out.

I guess the main question would be, "how could it hurt?" He wouldn't be on that team, he'd just practice with it every once in a while and perhaps play an occasional tournament. And if he doesn't like it, he doesn't have to go back. That said, he's having a blast right now and I'm not sure I want to rock the apple cart.

The other coach is supposed to call me. We'll see.

Next up, team practice again on Sunday.

sec realist
Site Admin

July 31st, 2015, 12:30 pm #123

Just got off the phone with the other coach.

He said he's looking for two things:

First, some depth for his team for the new tournament season. He said that he'd be blowing smoke up my ass if he were to say that he was most interested in the development of my son's skill set. He said that he's looking for good players that can help his team win. Pure and simple, and straight to the point.

Second, he said that he was looking to add some bodies for practice. He said that some of his boys play football this time of year and that he'll be short bodies during some of his practices.

He said that he heard that G was a good player and that he'd do well to extend an offer.

Hey, at least the guy was honest. He didn't try to sell me on something. He wasn't blowing smoke, that's for sure. He said he's trying to build a winner and that he wants the best players he can get his hands on.

That coach played minor league ball for a couple of years.

At this point, I think I'll pass.

July 31st, 2015, 3:58 pm #124

That sounds right. Your son will have plenty of time to be a hired gun when he's in MLB. Or Wall Street.

sec realist
Site Admin

August 5th, 2015, 5:59 am #125

So last night we had a practice at a different complex of fields. There were two other teams (approximately the same age group) practicing at the same time.

One thing you'll find is that there is quite a bit of scouting going on. These teams will play each other during the season, and the coaches are evaluating the teams they're going to play. There was an opposing coach sitting in the stands watching our practice.

You often hear about how bad AAU basketball is about recruiting players, often at the expense of the guys currently on the roster. It happens in baseball too, and perhaps just as much.

Our head coach was approached last night (by one of the other teams that was practicing), and he was asked to join teams. The other team had 11 players, and yet he wanted to join the two teams - he wanted to create a try out and to build a really good team. A try out for this age group? Just feels wrong, doesn't it?

I bet there's a book out there about this kind of thing. If not, in a few years perhaps I should write one?

Weird.

sec realist
Site Admin

August 5th, 2015, 7:31 pm #126

Interesting hitting lesson tonight - we've made a fundamental change to his swing. We've decided to keep the front foot down instead of lifting it off the ground. It's a big change, but something that was probably needed.

The pros? It keeps the swing balanced and more consistent, and it allows for more timely tweaks and improvements.

The cons? It loses a percentage of power. At this age, it's not a big thing.

We'd noticed that his front foot would drift at times. We also noticed with the toe coming off of the ground, it raised his head a couple of inches and created a rocking motion that didn't necessarily produce consistent swings.

He has two drills that he need to work over the next few weeks.

One, a simple toe lift and hip rotation - he needs to do it 75 times in the morning and 75 times at night.

And second, he has to do tee work: he has three steps that he needs to repeat time after time. First, the toe lift/hip twist. Second, he needs to lift the toe/twist the hip and then swing slowly to contact on a tee (demonstrate bat control by not touching the ball). And then he needs to swing away. He needs to do that 75 times a day.

His time in the cage after his lesson tonight was probably the best I've ever seen him hit. He's a mauler.

sec realist
Site Admin

August 10th, 2015, 7:45 pm #127

Another lesson, and more homework.

His swing is really coming along, to the point where he's generating much more consistent contact and a good ball angle coming off of the bat. Sometimes he's getting his hands too far from his body, which can create "hitting around the ball" instead of staying inside of it. (It's called 'casting" and it makes it difficult to hit an outside pitch with authority.) He doesn't do it too much, but it's a thing that we're wanting to clean up before he takes the next step.

The fix? Two drills.

The first is a smaller bat (that he'll choke up on) that he will swing using only his right hand. Just tee work, with the eye on form over power. The coach is really wanting to see an extended "bat through the zone" swing with the palm facing up.

The second drill is for him to stand next to a fence and slowly swing the bat. The thought is having the bat NOT touch the fence, keeping it close to his torso.

The next couple of topics we'll address are torso tilt and situational hitting. The torso tilt can only dealt with once the he get the swing path more consistent. And then situational hitting will be an ongoing deal.

Another tweak is for him to be a bit "quieter" with his hands during the load. Should be a simple fix. (He started to draw the bat behind his neck after the change of keeping his toe on the ground during load. I'm guessing that it's a function of his desire to hit the ball hard, and him thinking that he's losing power by not raising the foot off of the ground.)

It's not quite whack-a-mole in that we rarely have to deal with the same issue twice, but there's always something that needs work. Never a finished product, but a pathway that that makes him better and better.

I continue to be impressed with the coach and the results.

Team practice tomorrow night, and then we're on vacation for a week. He'll miss hitting lessons and three team practices, and then return for the opening game of the season. (We'll be in Kentucky at the wife's family's ranch. We'll bring the baseball gear and have some practice or two.) The coach said he'd like to pitch G in the first game, but he's not sure. We'll see soon enough.

sec realist
Site Admin

August 11th, 2015, 5:14 am #128

(Again, most of this is probably just for me, but it's a sort of diary when it comes to G's baseball. It will be a good reference point in the future if I want to do anything with all of this stuff.)

I forgot to mention that stretching and flexibility was a really big topic last night.

There were a couple of upper-level high school players in there when we arrived, and G's coach wanted him to come over and watch what was going on. The kid in the cage was 16 and had a really sweet swing. (That kid had just returned form some invitation only All Star tournament out of state.) The coach walked over to G mid-round and told him to watch his balance and his extension. The kid would take a few swings and then talk to us a bit and then hit some more.

That place has a great feel to it, lots of learning going on. Plus, everyone is very helpful and just wants everyone to get better.

After the kid had his time in the cage, he and the coach eased over for a little post-cage pow wow. I asked the kid what he thought the best thing he did for his swing was (among other things), and his answer was stretching. Strange, right? He said that you obviously need a certain level of strength, but that if it's not paired with flexibility then it might not do you much good and might actually hurt. And of course the probability of injury is much worse when you're stiff. The kids both talked about the dangers of weight lifting if it's not done properly. (We're not worrying about that for a looooong time.)

G's coach spoke about it for a few minutes, and outlined what he recommended. (They only offer strength and conditioning, not flexibility - but he said it was at least as important. He said it's just not a service they offer.) He said we should ask my daughter, the dancer, to work with all of us by having her do a little "class" with the family three or four times a week where she "teaches" us how to stretch. He said it would probably be good for her self-esteem (not a bad thought, actually), probably end up with a much better result as he'll likely want to compete with her and that it would certainly be cheaper than any other option. He also suggested trying to find a yoga place that offers the hot variety.

Anyway, being the parent of a budding athlete is much more complicated than I ever imagined. I don't know how far this will go, but we'll give him every chance to be as successful as he can be.

August 11th, 2015, 5:18 am #129

I am keeping up realist...

As for us Maddox had first full contact practice last night. Impressed with willingness to hit. Loves being the hittee but needs to get a little more confident being hitter

August 11th, 2015, 7:00 am #130

Merritt, how much does maddox weigh? He looks like a string bean.

When I showed up for 9th grade football I was 5'10" and about 110. I wrestled 103 that winter. I made 98 once.

August 11th, 2015, 7:07 am #131

Just over 5 feet and 75 or 80 pounds...he is skinny as hell but fairly strong from swimming

We have had to start making him drink protein shakes to try and add weight lol

I was 5'4 110 pounds when I got my license lol! Wrestled 103 fresh and sophomore year before I grew up lol

sec realist
Site Admin

August 11th, 2015, 9:43 am #132

My son is a giant. He's going into the second grade and he already weighs 76 pounds. He no fatty either, he's just a little Hulk.

August 11th, 2015, 11:12 am #133

sec realist wrote:My son is a giant. He's going into the second grade and he already weighs 76 pounds. He no fatty either, he's just a little Hulk.
my son is somewhat tall and ripped...just swims so much he cant add weight. He is starting to hit puberty though so hopefully that will help. Kid has an 8 pack and broad ass swim shoulders

August 11th, 2015, 11:26 am #134

A bit off topic, but you two might like this. Here in Boulder there are a lot of kids on the swim team who are vegetarians, and those kids are all string beans. Pre-puberty a skinny kid can be competitive by making a smaller hole in the water, but post puberty it is all about muscle and technique. The problem is these kids don't get enough protein to develop muscle. Swimming 8-9 times a week burns so many calories that what ever they eat gets burned. I have nicely mentioned that each kid's parents that they would be wise to chart what their kid eats for a week and see if they average .75 grams of protein per pound per day. The few who have taken me up on it have reported that their kid was getting between a fourth and a third of that.

Both of you should quietly track everything your son eats for a week and see where they fall. There are tons of places online to do it, but it's still a lot of work. If they come up short the best way to get protein is red meat (expensive or fatty) or eggs lots of eggs. I should add that some people like me can't digest that much protein without feeling ill. Anyway, just something to think about.

sec realist
Site Admin

August 11th, 2015, 11:35 am #135

G's tall and broad - no six pack, he's not cut like that but nobody would ever say he's overweight. He just looks healthy.

Last physical said he was 94th percentile for weight and 93rd for height. Just a big kid.

I'm guessing he ends up about 6'1"-6'2" and around 190 or so when he's 18.

I'm a bit over 6' and weigh 210-215, depending. At 18 I weighed about 180.

August 11th, 2015, 11:43 am #136

brown_DOG_US wrote:A bit off topic, but you two might like this. Here in Boulder there are a lot of kids on the swim team who are vegetarians, and those kids are all string beans. Pre-puberty a skinny kid can be competitive by making a smaller hole in the water, but post puberty it is all about muscle and technique. The problem is these kids don't get enough protein to develop muscle. Swimming 8-9 times a week burns so many calories that what ever they eat gets burned. I have nicely mentioned that each kid's parents that they would be wise to chart what their kid eats for a week and see if they average .75 grams of protein per pound per day. The few who have taken me up on it have reported that their kid was getting between a fourth and a third of that.

Both of you should quietly track everything your son eats for a week and see where they fall. There are tons of places online to do it, but it's still a lot of work. If they come up short the best way to get protein is red meat (expensive or fatty) or eggs lots of eggs. I should add that some people like me can't digest that much protein without feeling ill. Anyway, just something to think about.

my son is a meat fanatic...one of his favorite things i the world is actually a big ass burger with a fried egg on it. he eats meat non stop....just burns it off so fast. Would eat steak every meal if i let him

August 11th, 2015, 11:49 am #137

sec realist wrote:G's tall and broad - no six pack, he's not cut like that but nobody would ever say he's overweight. He just looks healthy.

Last physical said he was 94th percentile for weight and 93rd for height. Just a big kid.

I'm guessing he ends up about 6'1"-6'2" and around 190 or so when he's 18.

I'm a bit over 6' and weigh 210-215, depending. At 18 I weighed about 180.
they are saying Maddox is going to be between 6'0 and 6'2...i will believe it when i see it but its possible. My nephew is 5'10 and his mom and dad are shorter than my wife and myself

sec realist
Site Admin

August 11th, 2015, 11:51 am #138

Yeah, his diet is something I've started to think about. I think he eats enough protein, but I'm not 100% positive.

He does go through periods of wanting to eat loads and loads of cereal, and that makes me a bit uncomfortable. I mean to the point where it will be about bedtime and he'll ask for a bowl of Cheerios, and want two if you 'cave in.'

He seems to have a three-day cycle when it comes to eating. The first day he's voracious - he'll eat almost anything you put in front of him, and then ask for more. Then the next two days he sort of coasts. Weird.

sec realist
Site Admin

August 22nd, 2015, 6:05 am #139

He had a doubleheader scheduled for this afternoon, but the recent rains have flooded the field and so it was canceled. Today was to be opening day for the season.

We had 'mini-practices' twice while on vacation. Had him pitch 40 balls both days, field a bunch of grounders and hit a few buckets. Nothing serious, just enough to keep the timing down and to keep the arm in shape.

Practice tomorrow, first day of school on Monday, hitting lessons Monday and Wednesday night, practice Tuesday and Thursday night with two games on Saturday. I'm going to be watching closely for signs of fatigue or burn-out over the next few weeks. I'm going to protect his arm as well - his throwing is going to be limited somewhat.

We've recently started a stretching program, and the results are already noticeable. He doesn't necessarily look forward to it, but he knows it's important and so just deals with it.

August 22nd, 2015, 6:19 am #140

Maddox has his first jamboree today. He is still swimming a little bit because this team is just so damn good. Haven't lost in two years...but he has worked his way into the two deep on both sides of the ball so he should get lots of reps.

Playing the "X" on offense and the kid in front of him is 6'1 and still 11 years old. Insane...lacks a little bit of work ethic and not the greatest of attitudes but the talent is there and his dad doesnt put up with his shit. There is a DL on his team that has big time Saturday football written all over him. Kid plays 100% every single play and I haven't seen him be able to be blocked by anyone or a double team yet. Last season Terrance, the black kid on Northwood Little League who hit that monster jack for Team SC in LLWS was opposite him on the DL. The two of them were just absolutely dominant.

BTW, NWLL is where I grew up playing and where my son played a few years back when I coached him. Very proud of those boys. Good group of guys and coaches.

Dolphin Strong

sec realist
Site Admin

August 22nd, 2015, 6:22 am #141

If you can, record some plays during the game and link them here.

I'm going to try to do it for G's baseball, just for shits and giggles really but it might add something to the thread.

August 22nd, 2015, 6:35 am #142

sec realist wrote:If you can, record some plays during the game and link them here.

I'm going to try to do it for G's baseball, just for shits and giggles really but it might add something to the thread.
I will see what I can do...I need to register a youtube account so I can start doing that.

August 22nd, 2015, 7:09 am #143

I've done it with a few of my kids things so I could show them to my family back in Georgia. It's actually really easy. I think my google (gmail) account was all I needed.

August 22nd, 2015, 7:12 am #144

Here is my youngest (purple helmet) and her friends roller skating to school. She lives the best life.

August 22nd, 2015, 7:13 am #145

See how the mountains are a bit hazy in the background? Smoke/ash from the fires in Washington State.

sec realist
Site Admin

August 22nd, 2015, 12:26 pm #146

It's special, having young kids.

August 24th, 2015, 5:52 am #147

brown_DOG_US wrote:Here is my youngest (purple helmet) and her friends roller skating to school. She lives the best life.

I swear there was an image here....

let's try again.

Nada. You get nothing.

sec realist
Site Admin

August 24th, 2015, 8:19 am #148

It was there. She was on the right with two other girls.

Internet gremlins.

sec realist
Site Admin

August 25th, 2015, 5:37 am #149

Doubling up on hitting lessons this week (due to vacation last).

First of the week was last night, and he did very well.

One thing he's been working on is transferring his "cage swing" to the field. His cage swing is beautiful but sometimes the one he uses on on the field is a bit different. It's a natural thing for younger players, apparently. Context is everything.

The coach didn't work on technique at all last night - instead, he focused on thought processes and focus. He said he wanted G to start breaking down his swings into blocks of ten. He said he wanted him to set a goal for himself in terms of how many he expected to hit hard, and then count the next ten cuts. (The coach said it's a little trick that hitting coaches sometimes use to increase the focus of the player. He said that sometimes swinging dozens and dozens of times works against kids as they can lose the ability to focus, and then they start having bad habits creep in. Also, G is competitive and goals like that are a way to use that behavioral trait.)

The place has three different pitching machines, and all at are different distances. The two that get used the most are set at 42' and 46', with the other one quite a bit closer (maybe 36?). One of the machines was down last night so G jumped into the shortest one. The guys said that it was probably going to be hard for G to hit as that machine wasn't accurate at lesser speeds and so they couldn't really set it to be slower. It took G probably 10-12 pitches, but he locked on and started hitting the ball pretty good. One of the guys that work there came over and told me that the speed in that cage was the equivalent of 70-72 mph (if you use a conversion table for that distance).

His games this past weekend were cancelled due to flooded fields. He's supposed to play again this weekend.

sec realist
Site Admin

August 27th, 2015, 7:39 pm #150

sec realist wrote:G hit one out of the park last night during practice! They were practicing on a 120 foot field, so it wasn't on the "standard" field for the age (200 feet) - but a dinger is a dinger, and I can't recall a bigger smile on his face! It was a bomb, and everyone knew it was gone as soon as he hit it. Hooting and hollering from everyone.
So he's been working hard at shortening the swing over the past month or so, and has done a pretty good job. It still gets a bit long, but it's looking sweet.

He had practice tonight but we did some tee work before we left. There's always a goal when he's hitting off of a tee, and right now it's about keeping the hands "connected" to the body and working his hip rotation (for added power). He's such a hard worker.

Tonight the team practiced on a 140 foot field, which is too short most of the time but apparently this travel league will have some games on that size of field from time to time.

Anyway, G hit three bombs tonight! Three. One traveled about 160 with the others just creeping over on line shots.

And it wasn't just the bombs that were impressive, he crushed damn-near everything. He just mashed it today.

All smiles. And his teammates were just eating it up. Hard to beat that kind of joy.