Spring Practice Updates

March 9th, 2018, 4:19 am #1

Clemson

As expected defense is ahead of the offense.

-Dabo said the top 3 corners have been exceptional and said the WR need to start winning more of the 50/50 balls. Swinney said they'll produce a play that makes you go "wow," but then one that makes you go "crap."

"We've got to get a few less craps and a few more wows."

-From a friend who went to practice, Kelly was the most accurate that day but he said you can just see the "it" factor with Lawrence and said he doesn't look like a freshman digesting. Said he has no issue with the temp or calls but he still has a lot to install and learn.

-Garrett Williams is back at TE/h-back and that is huge for Clemson. He is the best blocker at the position and potentially the most athletic as a former RB in high school. Be huge for the run game having him lead blocking

-Feaster is trying to cut down about 5 pounds. Said the extra weight hurt his conditioning and his quickness. Sounds a lot like when Gurley added a little too much bulk. Wants to play around 215 instead of 220. The combo of Feaster/Etienne will be fun to watch. Oh, and Adam Choice isn't a bad #3. He was a starter as a freshman before injury

-XT is ready to play...will likely find a spot in the two deep if he keeps it up. Veterans have said him and KJ Henry have come in much more knowledgeable and coachable than expected. I cannot tell you how excited I am that all the DL came back and these two get to learn from them and see the culture they've created. It's 4 brothers across the front

-Random note but Christian Wilkins is working as a substitute teacher in his "spare" time. "It's a good experience, the kids are great. It's just a good mixup. I have a lot of free time on my hands now that I'm in grad school, so I gotta do something with my free time. I'm a strict teacher, we gotta get down to business. We don't have time for games. Gotta educate the youth. I get a nice little check, too." -Wilkins

He is going to go down as one of my all time favorite Tigers. Just a natural leader, funny as hell, and he overcame a lot to get to where he is. Graduated in 2-1/2 years

-Swinney said after the 5th practice they are further along than he expected.

-Surprising comments from players and coaches that Trevion Thompson has been the most consistent WR...playing all 3 positions. He is kind of the forgotten man with all the 5 star talent but he is a senior and has made big plays in big games.

-Derion Kendrick is drawing Sammy Watkins comparisons. He's pushing veterans for reps and making himself known quickly. Also, working as punt returner. I said after watching him at the Shrine Bowl practices that he reminded me of Antonio Brown. Very smooth route runner but plays with an edge. Very physical and he doesn't catch the ball...he snatches it out of the air and can put hiis foot in the ground and get up field. Just electric player. The only new guy in the room but he is a sponge. As a former QB that probably makes it easier

-Surprising that WR is the only group that Dabo has said has been inconsistent because that is the position Clemson is known for. Have to wonder if Dabo is trying to motivate them so they don't get complacent.

-In the scrimmage Dabo said he threw a curve ball. Spent time today mixing and matching the ones with the backups. Wanted to send a message to the backups the mindset they've gotta have when their name is called.

Very veteran team which means much faster installation and much better tempo to the practices. He has said the early enrolls have done a nice job keeping up and not holding back installation.

March 9th, 2018, 9:14 am #2

What do you think Clemson plans to do differently on offense?

March 9th, 2018, 10:55 am #3

brown dog wrote: What do you think Clemson plans to do differently on offense?
Great question...they have said they need to improve attacking horizontally. Said the screen game was a focus.

WR doing a better job on 50:50 balls is a focus

I think you see more attacking the perimeter, more 4 wide sets, and RBs more involved in screen game. Garrett Williams coming back is huge because he’s a true “fullback” type that brings another dimension to lead blocking.

They also said they need to ramp up the tempo. They were a little slower last season. It’s a veteran group so we should see improvement and who knows...someone could push KB for starting job

March 10th, 2018, 12:23 pm #4

For Tennessee the biggest question is who will lead the offense.  Pruitt has brought in former 4 star recruit, graduate transfer Keller Chryst from Stanford. 
“He has experience,’’ Pruitt said, when asked what he liked about Chryst. “He comes from a football family. Has good maturity. He’s 11-2 as a starter.’’  Still, he is a graduate transfer with only one year eligibility so not quite the guy to rebuild the program.  What does Pruitt like about Guarantano?  “I tell you what,’’ Pruitt said, “the kid is tough. He has arm talent. He has good athletic ability. I’ve seen him work hard in the offseason and try to do things the right way.”

If I am reading the tea leaves right I think Pruitt is going to go with the experience and maturity of Chryst and spend the next 18 months looking for THE guy.
"Gentlemen, touchdowns follow blocking as sure night follows day" -Gen Neyland

March 10th, 2018, 4:10 pm #5

It's gonna be Chryst.

March 11th, 2018, 5:48 am #6

Jesus Chryst the Vols savior?

March 12th, 2018, 7:15 am #7

Not to sound sacrilegious but I am not sure Jesus could even save my Vols these days.  

March 13th, 2018, 4:59 am #8

UGA's spring practice doesn't start until the 20th.  It's spring break right now, and back in the Richt days that would mean drug tests and suspensions next week.

March 13th, 2018, 8:00 am #9

BD, you might be interested to know that Juan Jennings has officially been reinstated although it sounds like he might miss a lot of spring practice due to a tweeked knee.  For everyone who forgot who he was he was the guy who caught this pass:

March 13th, 2018, 8:33 am #10

Thanks.  I like a queasy feeling in my stomach.  I'm hoping UT doesn't have anyone to throw him the ball.

March 13th, 2018, 11:28 am #11

That will probably be the case.

You know what I like about that gif?  No matter how many times it repeats he always catches it.

March 14th, 2018, 5:34 am #12

WR have apparently stepped it up since getting called out by Dabo. It doesn’t look like they are going to be able to keep kendrick off the field. Every single practice report talks about him making plays and he’s winning more one on one match ups than anyone. Kids a stud it sounds like...coaches have made comparisons to Sammy and Nuk. I think he plays a lot like Antonio Brown after watching Shrine bowl practices but I’ll take those comparisons

Sounds like a Trevor Lawrence is pushing the QBs but also sounds like he’s learning he can’t get away with some throws hey made in high school.

First scrimmage is today so we will see how it shakes out. After the scrimmage they go on spring break and won’t practice for 12 days. This is the way Dabo has always done it. Give them two weeks to process and study what they’ve installed. Last few years many of the veterans have stayed on campus and lead work outs. We will see if that happens again

March 14th, 2018, 5:35 am #13

Oh Jeff Scott made the comment “I have no clue if the RB are getting better in pass pro because if the pass rush ability of our DL.”

Went in to praise BV and talk about how difficult it was to go up against his defenses day in and day out because he holds nothing back

March 14th, 2018, 6:54 am #14

nmerritt11 wrote:
Sounds like a Trevor Lawrence is pushing the QBs but also sounds like he’s learning he can’t get away with some throws hey made in high school.

. After the scrimmage they go on spring break and won’t practice for 12 days. This is the way Dabo has always done it. Give them two weeks to process and study what they’ve installed. Last few years many of the veterans have stayed on campus and lead work outs. We will see if that happens again
You really don't want a true freshman starting the first game anyway.  I've been through it the last two years and I've heard all of the hype about their knowledge of the playbook and leadership.  The reality is that the playbook is tiny in that first game compared to the last game.  It's great for Lawrence to play, and eventually beat out the starter, but starting the first game just means the upperclassmen suck.

Spring football schedules have definitely changed.  UGA doesn't have a single back to back practice, and sometimes there is 2-3 days between practices.  I'm sure the coaches know what they are doing.

March 14th, 2018, 7:42 am #15

brown dog wrote:
nmerritt11 wrote:

. After the scrimmage they go on spring break and won’t practice for 12 days. This is the way Dabo has always done it. Give them two weeks to process and study what they’ve installed. Last few years many of the veterans have stayed on campus and lead work outs. We will see if that happens again
You really don't want a true freshman starting the first game anyway.  I've been through it the last two years and I've heard all of the hype about their knowledge of the playbook and leadership.  The reality is that the playbook is tiny in that first game compared to the last game.  It's great for Lawrence to play, and eventually beat out the starter, but starting the first game just means the upperclassmen suck.

Spring football schedules have definitely changed.  UGA doesn't have a single back to back practice, and sometimes there is 2-3 days between practices.  I'm sure the coaches know what they are doing.
I fully expect Kelly Bryant to be the starter for the first game, take the next step as a QB, play well, and be the QB for the entire season. Clemson fans are harsh on him because he had the unfortunate job of following one of the best QBs and clutch performers we’ve seen on the college level

March 14th, 2018, 8:13 am #16

Watson was the offense and that's what made him one of the best college QBs ever.  Bryant is a solid QB and like every other college QB he needs some help.  He needs better protection, better playcalling, and WRs that make him look good.  I definitely think Clemson can do that.

March 14th, 2018, 5:45 pm #17

brown dog wrote: Watson was the offense and that's what made him one of the best college QBs ever.  Bryant is a solid QB and like every other college QB he needs some help.  He needs better protection, better playcalling, and WRs that make him look good.  I definitely think Clemson can do that.

Agree and today...shockingly the offense dominated the scrimmage to the point Venables said watching the WR make plays made him want to vomit. Bryant still has a large gap at QB but being pushed. Tony Elliott said its made him elevate his game

Oh and Trevor Lawrence reeled off a 50 hard TD run. Love people think he isn’t mobile.

March 15th, 2018, 10:29 am #18

nmerritt11 wrote:
Oh and Trevor Lawrence reeled off a 50 hard TD run. Love people think he isn’t mobile.
Was the defense on the field?

March 16th, 2018, 3:31 am #19

brown dog wrote:
nmerritt11 wrote:
Was the defense on the field?
Yes I’m not sure which unit but I have confirmed there was indeed a defense on the field

They are saying his ability to feel pressure and move the pocket has been the most impressive thing so far.

Was also told that the defensive line has been a nightmare for QBs knocking passed down, especially Austin Bryant, but Trevor doesn’t really have any issues because of his height and release point. Said he’s very good at finding windows. It sounds like if anyone is going to push Bryant it may be Lawrence but it’s still really early

Hunter Johnson is limited with a tweaked hammy which isn’t good for him. Chase Brice had best stats and best drives in scrimmage but he was likely going against the 3s?

March 19th, 2018, 6:56 am #20

So Tennessee starts tomorrow.  Here are the dates:

March 20, Tuesday
March 22, Thursday
March 24, Saturday
March 27, Tuesday
March 29, Thursday
March 31, Saturday

April 3, Tuesday
April 5, Thursday
April 7, Saturday
April 10, Tuesday
April 12, Thursday
April 14, Saturday
April 17, Tuesday
April 19, Thursday

April 21, Saturday - Orange and White Game

Has anyone else seen the three practices a week schedule like that?  

March 19th, 2018, 12:08 pm #21

DocVOLiday wrote: So Tennessee starts tomorrow.  Here are the dates:

March 20, Tuesday
March 22, Thursday
March 24, Saturday
March 27, Tuesday
March 29, Thursday
March 31, Saturday

April 3, Tuesday
April 5, Thursday
April 7, Saturday
April 10, Tuesday
April 12, Thursday
April 14, Saturday
April 17, Tuesday
April 19, Thursday

April 21, Saturday - Orange and White Game

Has anyone else seen the three practices a week schedule like that?  
UGA's practice schedule is almost exactly the same.  Here is Bama's

Alabama's 2018 Spring Football Practice Schedule:
Tuesday, March 20 -- 3:30 p.m.
Thursday, March 22 -- 3:30 p.m.
Saturday, March 24 -- TBD
Tuesday, March 27 -- 3:30 p.m. 
Thursday, March 29 -- 3:30 p.m.
Tuesday, April 3 -- 3:30 p.m.
Thursday, April 5 -- 3:30 p.m.
**Saturday, April 7 -- TBD
Monday, April 9 -- 3:30 p.m.
Wednesday, April 11 -- 3:30 p.m.
Friday, April 13 -- 3:30 p.m.
**Saturday, April 14 -- TBD
Tuesday, April 17 -- 3:30 p.m.
Thursday, April 19 -- 3:30 p.m.
**Saturday, April 21 -- 1 p.m.

And I think we know where Kirby and Pruitt got there spring schedules from.

March 20th, 2018, 4:28 am #22

Ah, that makes sense.  The apple does not fall far from the tree.

BTW, as of right now I am planning on going to the spring game.  All I want to see is some signs of well coached players.

March 20th, 2018, 5:09 am #23

I know it doesnt have anything to do with spring practice but it has been fun watching Clemson players and Dabo cheer on and support this basketball team. Dabo has been Brad's biggest cheerleader and you can tell he is really enjoying watching Brad make this run.

Brad said that in the offseason he had a lot of conversations with Dabo and is trying to instill a lot of things he has learned from him. It is cool to see the baseball, football, and basketball coach having close friendships off the field.

March 20th, 2018, 5:28 am #24

Clemson has been a bit of shocker.  I would have bet you prior to the tourney Tennessee would go deeper than Clemson.  I would have, of course, been wrong.  

March 20th, 2018, 7:12 am #25

From the Knoxville paper:
Who will leave?
Pruitt means business, and he knows that coddling players is not the way to get the Vols competing for championships. His take-it-or-leave attitude may not jibe with all the players he is inheriting from former coach Butch Jones.
Tennessee’s roster has stayed mostly intact through the transition so far, but after 15 spring practices it’s likely that at least a few players will decide to depart. This creates a delicate balancing act for the new coaching staff, because the Vols can ill afford to lose much depth. It would be especially taxing to the 2018 roster if any scholarship offensive linemen decide to leave.

March 20th, 2018, 7:16 am #26

Hello, early enrollees
Georgia signed seven five-star recruits in its recruiting class. Four of them enrolled early — Fields, Mays, outside linebacker Brenton Cox and running back Zamir White, who is coming off ACL surgery.
There are nine early enrollees in all, including offensive guard Trey Hill, guard/center Warren Ericson, defensive back Divaad Wilson, defensive lineman Devonte Wyatt and wide receiver Kearis Jackson.
He joins a receiving corps that returns Terry Godwin, Mecole Hardman and Riley Ridley.

March 20th, 2018, 9:40 am #27

Here is an update on our o-line.   It is quite depleted:

A total of 13 scholarship and walk-on offensive linemen are listed on the Volunteers' 2018 spring roster, and two players in the 2018 signing class enrolled early to participate in spring practices. But the number of healthy scholarship offensive linemen may be as low as eight because several players are working through injuries in an effort to be ready for the 2018 season.
The low numbers offer an opportunity for freshmen Tanner Antonutti and Ollie Lane to receive immediate practice repetitions as the two get a head start on fellow 2018 signees Jerome Carvin and Jahmir Johnson, who will join the program this summer.
The offensive line's health could be among the key factors in how the coaching staff decides the format of the annual spring game, which is set for April 21. Pruitt would like to play a standard football game with two full teams. That won't happen without at least 10 healthy offensive linemen, walk-ons included, available to fill out the rosters.
Rising star Trey Smith will be out of spring practice because of an undisclosed medical condition, while K'Rojhn Calbert and Chance Hall will not participate or will be limited as they rehabilitate from knee surgeries.
The health of Hall and Smith moving forward after spring practices will be vital to the 2018 outlook for an offensive line looking for a fresh start with a new coaching staff after an inconsistent 2017 campaign.
Contact David Cobb at dcobb@timesfreepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @DavidWCobb and on Facebook at facebook.com/volsupdate.
Tennessee football preview
  • Offensive line's health an issue for Vols' spring practices
  • Ty Chandler is front-runner for top spot at running back
  • Alontae Taylor part of Vols' fresh start for wide receivers
  • Spring just the beginning for Vols' football competition
  • Vols have key spots to fill on special teams
  • Healthy Shy Tuttle may be top candidate for Vols' nose tackle
  • Vols coaches plan to cross-train linebackers
  • Tennessee football coach Jeremy Pruitt confident in cornerbacks despite attrition
College Football

March 20th, 2018, 11:47 am #28

The word on VN is Cryst does not arrive until Sunday and JG is eager to prove this week that he should be the starter . The way I look at it is Cryst either is the guy and gives us some stability or his arrival makes gaurantano step up his game.  Win/win for Pruitt.  

In my honest opinion though these kids better be careful what they wish for.  I have a feeling our QB is going to be running for their life next season.  No O-line.  

sec realist
Site Admin

March 20th, 2018, 2:25 pm #29

The players apparently have bought in completely with what Mullen is selling. Makes sense as he's a veteran coach.

Two things are standing out.

First is the entire team is in much better shape physically. The S&C program was in shambles, but no longer.

Second is The running back position is fantastic as they got Scarlett back from suspension and returned Davis. This will go a long way to make the offense a threat next season.

The rest is just camp noise.
Live with egrets, not regrets.

March 20th, 2018, 4:36 pm #30

After last season the players have to love Mullen.  

Is Emory Jones on campus?

fwiw, the rumors are that Justin Fields is the best QB evah.  Spring is in the air....

March 21st, 2018, 4:57 am #31

It's official!  Butch is on staff at Bama.  I found this gem on the internets:
“With that announcement came the predictable, obvious and necessary jokes. The coach with the five-star heart is joining a program with five-star players. The man who coined the phrase “champions of life” is now a member of the national champions. A former SEC coach is now going to be getting coffee for the greatest coaching legend of our generation.”

March 21st, 2018, 5:05 am #32

With Butch gone at UT I'll be looking for a new coach and team to mock for stupidity.  It looks like Auburn is gonna step up:
"We really can't look back in the past, but it left a chip on our shoulder knowing that we got that far and we didn't finish," cornerback Jamel Dean said. "Now our whole mentality is to make sure we finish this year."
Y'all got to the end where the games really mattered and you think it was a lack of finishing and a mental problem that lead to the lose?  Okay....

Might be your coach leaned on his elite RB a wee bit too much and he was on IR when you needed him.  Might.

March 21st, 2018, 5:07 am #33

brown dog wrote: After last season the players have to love Mullen.  

Is Emory Jones on campus?

fwiw, the rumors are that Justin Fields is the best QB evah.  Spring is in the air....
Yes Jones is there and I'd be shocked if he doesnt have a role in the offense even if he just utilizes special packages like he did Tebow back in the day. Will be interesting and Florida has a schedule in which they could easily come out and 5-0 heading into the LSU game.

March 21st, 2018, 5:10 am #34

Oooh, but maybe Derrick Dooley as Mizzou's OC could be my new sensei!
  • Drew Lock on Derek Dooley’s new offense:  “It’s more complicated of an offense but I do think it’s easier.”  Whatever you say, Drew.

March 21st, 2018, 5:49 am #35

brown dog wrote: Oooh, but maybe Derrick Dooley as Mizzou's OC could be my new sensei!
  • Drew Lock on Derek Dooley’s new offense:  “It’s more complicated of an offense but I do think it’s easier.”  Whatever you say, Drew.
Well...Chad Morris' offense is very simple but looks complex. He basically runs the same plays out of multiple formations and shifts. It's more the eye candy and tempo but does have complex pro style route trees

But again...we are talking Derrick Dooley here

March 21st, 2018, 6:23 am #36

nmerritt11 wrote:

Yes Jones is there and I'd be shocked if he doesnt have a role in the offense even if he just utilizes special packages like he did Tebow back in the day. Will be interesting and Florida has a schedule in which they could easily come out and 5-0 heading into the LSU game.
I want Jones to be kicked off the team.

UF has an interesting schedule.   The East is still a mess, so anything can happen.  What will Mizzou look like?  They have a gunslinger at QB.  Does SCAR take a step forward?  They draw LSU and MSU from the West.  LSU has talent and is physical, but their coaching is a dumpster fire.  Miss State was a tough scrappy team, but now they have a new coach.  Also, they host a Colorado State team coached by Bobo.  I know UF is way better than CSU, but Bobo has to have big dreams and will throw the kitchen sink at them if he thinks he can win.  

March 21st, 2018, 6:23 am #37

The similairities between UGA, Bama and Tennessee spring practices are uncanny.  The similarities are all there. No music, same moves, and basically using the same equipment almost.   Considering what we saw from Bama and UGA last season this is a reason for hope.  We are still talent depleted so I am not expecting great things in 20187 but I truly feel we are heading in the right direction.  

Anything is better than Bootch running around with that damn microphone.  He is Bama's problem now. 

March 21st, 2018, 6:39 am #38

brown dog wrote:
nmerritt11 wrote:

I want Jones to be kicked off the team.

UF has an interesting schedule.   The East is still a mess, so anything can happen.  What will Mizzou look like?  They have a gunslinger at QB.  Does SCAR take a step forward?  They draw LSU and MSU from the West.  LSU has talent and is physical, but their coaching is a dumpster fire.  Miss State was a tough scrappy team, but now they have a new coach.  Also, they host a Colorado State team coached by Bobo.  I know UF is way better than CSU, but Bobo has to have big dreams and will throw the kitchen sink at them if he thinks he can win.  
SC is built a lot like the old Clemson Tommy Bowden teams. Solid skill position talent but lack quality guys and depth in the trenches. Not to mention if Bentley goes down they are screwed and in reality he is not that good.

Losing Skai Moore is huge for that team. He was the only elite play maker on the defense. Their schedule is charmin soft so they could slip on their dicks and win 8 or 9 games.

My guess is Florida and Georgia will compete for the title w/ SC or Tennessee behind them. Kentucky will be competitive and Mizzou will be able to move the football. Florida and Georgia's roster talent is just so much better. SC does draw Georgia at home early and Georgia has a lot of players to replace but they are solid at RB and QB and in the trenches they have tons of talented guys competing so they should be fine.

March 21st, 2018, 8:28 am #39

Pruitt continues to clean house:

The Tennessee Volunteers started spring practices on Tuesday, and already they’re down a player.
When new coach Jeremy Pruitt took the podium for his first presser of the spring, he announced that senior DL Quay Picou was no longer with the team.
Picou had appeared in six games for the Vols over the past two seasons, recording 11 tackles and one fumble recovery:
Volquest Staff@Volquest_Rivals

DL Quay Picou is no longer listed on the roster and has left the team, per Pruitt.
6:35 PM - Mar 20, 2018
  • 29 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy

While this isn’t a huge loss for Tennessee, it does hurt their depth at an important position, so Pruitt will have to find a way to replace him along the defensive line.
There’s still plenty of time, though, as the spring practice session just got underway.

March 21st, 2018, 8:42 am #40

I still wonder why he went to UGA.   I actually have been wondering why players go to schools with no needs over schools with needs.  Take Hunter Johnson for example.  He was committed to Tennessee where he would already be the starter and have ton of playing experience.  Instead he chose Clemson where he is buried in the depth chart.  Justin Fields could have started immediately at 75% of the schools in the country but instead wants to try to beat From out of his job.  It does not make sense. 

March 21st, 2018, 10:26 am #41

DocVOLiday wrote:
I still wonder why he went to UGA.   I actually have been wondering why players go to schools with no needs over schools with needs.  Take Hunter Johnson for example.  He was committed to Tennessee where he would already be the starter and have ton of playing experience.  Instead he chose Clemson where he is buried in the depth chart.  Justin Fields could have started immediately at 75% of the schools in the country but instead wants to try to beat From out of his job.  It does not make sense. 

If was advising a 5 star QB I would tell them to focus on:

1. OL quality- Nobody looks good when they are running for their life or they can't establish a running game.
2. System-  Don't go to a spready team if you can't run.  Don't go to a pro style team if you can't hang in the pocket, progress through reads, and throw strikes with heat.
3. Depth chart-  This one is obvious.  Having an elite QB in his final year while you are a frosh is perfect.

So, why did Fields go to UGA?  

1. The OL looks to be solid and full of elite talent.
2. He is black and automatically gets labeled as a runner.  People say he his arm is almost as good as Eason's.  He might be wise to play in a pro style so NFL scouts know he can play in that system.
3. IF he redshirts then he will have 2 years as the starter post Fromm.  If he is the real deal he might be able to play earlier.  Fromm is a gamer and I'm glad to have him, but he lacks an NFL arm.

fwiw, he is perfect for Clemson.  He has the tools to be like Watson.  I don't think he is big enough to take the hits running between the tackles for Meyer or Mullen.  

I should add, Fields went to a decent northside public school and had excellent grades with plenty of AP classes.  He isn't dumb or likely to be swayed by bullshit.  His parents are solid and probably gave him good life advice.

March 21st, 2018, 10:32 am #42

DocVOLiday wrote: The similairities between UGA, Bama and Tennessee spring practices are uncanny.  The similarities are all there. No music, same moves, and basically using the same equipment almost.   Considering what we saw from Bama and UGA last season this is a reason for hope.  We are still talent depleted so I am not expecting great things in 20187 but I truly feel we are heading in the right direction.  

Anything is better than Bootch running around with that damn microphone.  He is Bama's problem now. 
As somebody who has been in your shoes, you need to ask yourself is he Kirby or BOOM! ?   All 4 coaches (Saban, Muschamp, Smart, and Pruitt) want to win with defense and have the most boring offense ever.  Saban figured out he was going to have to outscore teams like Ole Miss and Clemson, while BOOM! appears to struggle with that.  Remember his offenses at Florida?  lol.  

March 21st, 2018, 10:34 am #43

nmerritt11 wrote: SC is built a lot like the old Clemson Tommy Bowden teams. Solid skill position talent but lack quality guys and depth in the trenches. Not to mention if Bentley goes down they are screwed and in reality he is not that good.

Losing Skai Moore is huge for that team. He was the only elite play maker on the defense. Their schedule is charmin soft so they could slip on their dicks and win 8 or 9 games.

My guess is Florida and Georgia will compete for the title w/ SC or Tennessee behind them. Kentucky will be competitive and Mizzou will be able to move the football. Florida and Georgia's roster talent is just so much better. SC does draw Georgia at home early and Georgia has a lot of players to replace but they are solid at RB and QB and in the trenches they have tons of talented guys competing so they should be fine.
I agree.  I think SCAR early before their depth becomes an issue could be tough for Georgia.  The reality is the talent gap is pretty big between UGA and SCAR though, and Smart should have his players and coaches ready.  I have that game circled to see if Smart has really changed the culture.

sec realist
Site Admin

March 21st, 2018, 2:24 pm #44

Jones is doing well. Nothing special yet, but he's learning.

Van Jefferson is standing out.

There's a quiet confidence around the program. Gator fans want outward arrogance though.
Live with egrets, not regrets.

March 22nd, 2018, 5:28 am #45

sec realist wrote: Jones is doing well. Nothing special yet, but he's learning.

Van Jefferson is standing out.

There's a quiet confidence around the program. Gator fans want outward arrogance though.
Clemson fans on message boards get frustrated because Dabo keeps everything in house and only relays what he wants media, opponents, and his own players to hear. The Clemson rivals site is still the best by far but most of the “insiders” no longer post because people started taking the material to the main rivals board and their places whereas in the past it stayed there...Dabo will revoke your privilege of attending practice if you are caught releasing any info.

I hear a lot more than I would ever post here or elsewhere out of respect of the program. Ive learned though...when Dabo and staff are quiet like they’ve been this spring it generally is a good thing.

Fans want more, more, more...but in reality the least amount that’s public the better

March 22nd, 2018, 6:18 am #46

guarantano has put on 18 lbs from last season and it does not appear to be wasted lbs:

He could probably stand to put on about 10 more since he will be running for his life behind that offensive line.  

March 23rd, 2018, 4:00 pm #47

Might as well stick this here.
Meanwhile, Jeremy Pruitt has been installed as Tennessee’s coach, and if you look at his coaching staff, it has a decidedly Georgia flavor to it. Thirty percent of his full-time assistants were with him when he was defensive coordinator at UGA: offensive line coach Will Friend, defensive line coach Tracy Rocker and defensive coordinator/linebackers coach Kevin Sherrer. Then I found out the other day that John Lilly – former tight ends coach at Georgia and, at different times, interim offensive coordinator, special teams coordinator and recruiting coordinator with the Bulldogs – has joined Pruitt’s staff as an offensive analyst. 

March 24th, 2018, 6:39 am #48

brown dog wrote: Might as well stick this here.
Meanwhile, Jeremy Pruitt has been installed as Tennessee’s coach, and if you look at his coaching staff, it has a decidedly Georgia flavor to it. Thirty percent of his full-time assistants were with him when he was defensive coordinator at UGA: offensive line coach Will Friend, defensive line coach Tracy Rocker and defensive coordinator/linebackers coach Kevin Sherrer. Then I found out the other day that John Lilly – former tight ends coach at Georgia and, at different times, interim offensive coordinator, special teams coordinator and recruiting coordinator with the Bulldogs – has joined Pruitt’s staff as an offensive analyst. 
Well they have established recruiting relationships in important areas for Tennessee to keep up with Georgia and Florida on the trail. I think UT tripped and fell into a good hire here. Tyson Helton put up some big numbers when he was OC at Western Kentucky. Will be interesting to see the direction of the offense under him.

March 27th, 2018, 5:59 am #49

BOOM!

March 27th, 2018, 6:15 am #50

South Carolina seems to be a dark horse this year.  That not only affects us SEC guys but Merritt as well.  I have faith that somehow the cocks will find a way to suck, it is what they do, but I am nervous.